General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Among hundreds of other reasons why we're terrible.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Maligorn said:
    effort
    Sounds like work. Nothx.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Killing ugly animals is okay, especially if they're delicious.

• Ardmore said:
    Bah. Ever since I saw that glorious rhino on Reddit and read the comments, I started researching them and I've come to the conclusion that humanity is horrible. We're all a bunch of stupid jerks that kill beautiful animals. :( 
    Link?
    Stangmar - Retired

• I'm anxious because I have a dr appt on the 8th and I'll find out whether or not my referral's been put through to go to another clinic so I can basically start my life finally.

Sigh.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ssaliss said:
    I'm honestly surprised that there aren't companies that actually try to break the apparent monopoly over there... Over here, we have countless choices (although there are a couple of big ones that take most of the customers).
    The cable companies actually own the wiring and have anti-competitive contracts in place (part of the deal for them to lay down the cables in the first place), so that there can't even be any real competition.  Your option is whatever the local cable company is (and each one has its own market, PLUS Time Warner / Comcast are trying to merge to make an even bigger monopoly), or satellite / DSL.

There are a few regions with other options, but it's not very widespread.  For most of us in the US there just is no competition.

There was a poll recently where every US cable company has seen its favorability ratings declining.
  • Day 2 with no internet.   F**** you Cox Communications.

It doesn't help that my roommate/landlord is old and out of touch.  His only solutions are reset the router by unplugging it.  If that doesn't work it can't be fixed.  Maybe next week he'll call them.  Although, in my experience with cable companies, calling them doesn't get any results either.
    Stangmar - Retired

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    @Aeral, I believe that the performance of your machine with Lusternia would have much more to do with ping than the actual raw speed of your internet.  I'd recommend running ookla's pingtest to a server in California (where Lusternia is located I think?) and seeing what sorts of results you get from there.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Readjusting now that I'm back has been much more difficult than I thought. I'm all out of sorts, yeek!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Tarkenton said:
    @Aeral, I believe that the performance of your machine with Lusternia would have much more to do with ping than the actual raw speed of your internet.  I'd recommend running ookla's pingtest to a server in California (where Lusternia is located I think?) and seeing what sorts of results you get from there.
    Pretty sure the server's are in Chicago

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    Tarkenton said:
    Pretty sure the server's are in Chicago

Definitely in Chicago. (On an unrelated note, I don't think the forums like Firefox.)
    traceroute to lusternia.com (69.65.42.86), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets<br>&nbsp;1&nbsp; router2-dal.linode.com (67.18.7.162)&nbsp; 0.825 ms&nbsp; 1.131 ms&nbsp; 1.132 ms<br>&nbsp;2&nbsp; ae2.car02.dllstx2.networklayer.com (67.18.7.93)&nbsp; 30.497 ms&nbsp; 0.506 ms&nbsp; 30.457 ms<br>&nbsp;3&nbsp; po102.dsr02.dllstx2.networklayer.com (70.87.254.85)&nbsp; 0.998 ms&nbsp; 0.994 ms&nbsp; 1.079 ms<br>&nbsp;4&nbsp; po22.dsr02.dllstx3.networklayer.com (70.87.255.69)&nbsp; 0.942 ms&nbsp; 1.033 ms&nbsp; 1.009 ms<br>&nbsp;5&nbsp; ae17.bbr02.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com (173.192.18.230)&nbsp; 0.774 ms&nbsp; 0.738 ms&nbsp; 0.713 ms<br>&nbsp;6&nbsp; ae7.bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com (173.192.18.208)&nbsp; 1.608 ms ae0.bbr01.eq01.chi01.networklayer.com (173.192.18.137)&nbsp; 26.036 ms&nbsp; 22.648 ms<br>&nbsp;7&nbsp; ae0.bbr01.eq01.chi01.networklayer.com (173.192.18.137)&nbsp; 22.489 ms * *<br>&nbsp;8&nbsp; po-12.csr2.Chi3.Servernap.net (66.252.0.69)&nbsp; 25.315 ms&nbsp; 25.290 ms *<br>&nbsp;9&nbsp; po-12.csr2.Chi3.Servernap.net (66.252.0.69)&nbsp; 25.766 ms po-102.ddr1.Chi3.Servernap.net (66.252.0.130)&nbsp; 27.132 ms po-12.csr2.Chi3.Servernap.net (66.252.0.69)&nbsp; 25.719 ms<br>10&nbsp; www.lusternia.com (69.65.42.86)&nbsp; 23.351 ms&nbsp; 25.061 ms po-102.ddr1.Chi3.Servernap.net (66.252.0.130)&nbsp; 25.584 ms<br>
    I was guessing, assumed California since that sends like where everything is based out of. I never have issues with Lusternia, so I assumed west coast.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

I wouldn't say it's because people are sheep (though they are). It's the American free market and politics that encourage companies to monopolize markets for greater gain. Without an outside source, like government, limiting giant businesses, they inevitably combine to become super businesses. Like comcast and time warner, which are literally the two companies with the lowest consumer approval scores for any business, merging. The companies actually have agreements with each other to stay out of eachothers markets because competition would increase their out of pocket expenses for better service. The government actually makes it worse with crap like throwing out net neutrality, making it so the super businesses that are providers work out agreements with other super businesses that provide online content to push out competition. Mark my words, with net neutrality going  poo-poo, the ISPs and the content providers are eventually going to merge too.  

It's the American way, to take something that was otherwise free and available to everyone, make it more complicated, and make people pay for it. The turned something completely insubstantial, created out of nothing, into a massive profit generator. YAY FREE MARKET CAPITALISM.

It's not just internet, so many markets are gravitating towards super corporation monopolies. Some companies, like Google, are trying to introduce alternatives into the markets, but it's slow progress.

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Daraius said:
    I kind of miss the days when I had limited access to internet and video games and my main form of entertainment was writing. Nowadays it's so easy to fritter away time doing something simple and mindless and just feel utterly unproductive at the end of the day.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Celina said:

I wouldn't say it's because people are sheep (though they are). It's the American free market and politics that encourage companies to monopolize markets for greater gain. Without an outside source, like government, limiting giant businesses, they inevitably combine to become super businesses. Like comcast and time warner, which are literally the two companies with the lowest consumer approval scores for any business, merging. The companies actually have agreements with each other to stay out of eachothers markets because competition would increase their out of pocket expenses for better service. The government actually makes it worse with crap like throwing out net neutrality, making it so the super businesses that are providers work out agreements with other super businesses that provide online content to push out competition. Mark my words, with net neutrality going  poo-poo, the ISPs and the content providers are eventually going to merge too.  

It's the American way, to take something that was otherwise free and available to everyone, make it more complicated, and make people pay for it. The turned something completely insubstantial, created out of nothing, into a massive profit generator. YAY FREE MARKET CAPITALISM.

It's not just internet, so many markets are gravitating towards super corporation monopolies. Some companies, like Google, are trying to introduce alternatives into the markets, but it's slow progress.

Of course, it seems likely that even Google is trying to introduce alternatives... so that they can become something of a lateral monopoly.

Yup, but I have more faith in companies like Google to provide adequate service to customers than Time Warner. Google is, at the very lease, innovative and driven by more than their bottom line (though obviously their bottom line is still extremely important). They have a reputation of treating their employees extremely well, at the very least.

They happen to be trying to break into the auto finance market (weird, I know).

• edited June 2014
    Broke my only set of earphones. I have. My speakers are busted. 

-cries- No more listening to audiobooks and soothing myself to sleep that way

My sweet setup can't work anymore. 

:(

is dead like the dodo
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Ok so...

My brother's partner told us all a month or so ago she'd been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, this has been exposed as a lie thanks to my mother becoming Sherlock Holmes after various things simply didn't add up to her. She then had the joy of having to tell my brother this once she'd gathered enough facts to dismiss the whole fabrication, which then lead to my brother's now ex fleeing 100+ miles away.. in his car.

She's got two absolutely adorable children, who are completely heartbroken right now on so many levels, and a family who've all been lied to during this, and I'm sat here wondering what the hell kind of person would make up that for zero reason whatsoever.

My brother's ok, he's got friends and family supporting him right now, and he's wanting to just get on with things. After all, he and I have the joy of Dad's court case starting next week for stabbing his wife, the assault charge is roughly 6-8 years sentence for the severity of it but the prosecution has at least dropped the case for attempted murder, silver lining I suppose.

At least this whole mess will come to an end soon, well, until the divorce hearings anyway.

At some point in this I'll actually start crying, I'm sure, at least I hope I do. I feel like I've become so accustomed to this level of shit happening in this last year though, that I've simply had the whole sense of feeling numbed and I just automatically default to being a miserable bastard, which I'm guessing hasn't been all that fun to be around. Sorry about that.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• And when you have that cry, it will be the most glorious and liberating cry ever, I am sure. Also, considering she ran off with the car, she must have reasons. I just wonder what. It's a clear cry for attention, question is of course what led up to that. Could she be jealous of all the attention your dad's case has been getting? It's fucked up but considering your brother must have been busy with that too, she might have felt neglected. She's got issues I bet, but that ain't no way to deal with them. Feel for the kids too, a mother that lies like that is gonna be a blow for them :(

Daraius said:
    I kind of miss the days when I had limited access to internet and video games and my main form of entertainment was writing. Nowadays it's so easy to fritter away time doing something simple and mindless and just feel utterly unproductive at the end of the day.
    Every heard of zero days? It's a concept rather popular on Reddit when it comes to self-improvement. Basically it means you do one productive thing each day. It can be small, really all depends on what you can and want to handle. You could write for just half an hour, or set a goal of x number of lines. Maybe with a small reward if you manage to get it done, like a piece of chocolate. It is small steps, but look at how many days a year has. Compare writing like that for a whole year to not writing. Then it becomes a vast difference.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I've heard of people that invent illnesses for the attention, I'm quite sure it's a mental disorder. Worse still are the parents that make their kids sick for the attention it gets them. Humans are so messed up.

Big big hugs Morky, you're made of tough stuff and it shows <3

Mother Ducking punk kids. It's bad enough that my wife is going to be in the hospital for an undetermined amount of days due to not knowing exactly when the docs are going to decide to cut her open and pull out our son.  No, some punk (I assume) kid busts in her car window.  AND DIDN'T EVEN STEAL THE STEREO OR SOMETHING, THE LITTLE GOBSHITES!  Appears to just be a random act of boredom.  Daduck is wrong with kids today?  Worst I ever did was egg and toilet paper someone's yard.  And got busted by my parents, so I even cleaned it up.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Tarkenton said:
    AND DIDN'T EVEN STEAL THE STEREO OR SOMETHING
    A Lumineers song mentions something like this.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    A couple months ago my window's motor bust and I couldn't roll it up at all. It was a rainy Sunday and my mechanic wasn't available by phone, so I had to just get some plastic and cover it until I could get it to someone to fix it. Next day, I found the plastic torn, seat wet with rain that had fallen that day and a crusty sock on my dashboard. Nothing was stolen from the car itself. Whoever broke in really just wanted to leave a disgusting memento. So yeah, people these days are pretty messed up.
  • Lavinya said:
    I've heard of people that invent illnesses for the attention, I'm quite sure it's a mental disorder. Worse still are the parents that make their kids sick for the attention it gets them. Humans are so messed up.

Big big hugs Morky, you're made of tough stuff and it shows <3

Münchausen and Münchausen syndrome by proxy respectively.
    Rivius said:
    A couple months ago my window's motor bust and I couldn't roll it up at all. It was a rainy Sunday and my mechanic wasn't available by phone, so I had to just get some plastic and cover it until I could get it to someone to fix it. Next day, I found the plastic torn, seat wet with rain that had fallen that day and a crusty sock on my dashboard. Nothing was stolen from the car itself. Whoever broke in really just wanted to leave a disgusting memento. So yeah, people these days are pretty messed up.

Lol they probably slept in your car, boo.
  • @Karlach I'm sorry all this is happening. I hope things get better.
  • Quests that dont give a proper answer or point towards what I should do next or speak to next.

My latest mission in lusternia has been to do many of the famed quests to add to my honors, but heavens if some of these quests dont make me want to gouge my eyes out. It isnt the storyline, I love that, but playing "Guess the syntax" or "Guess what to do now" is driving me bonkers. Im currently stuck in a quest where I did the previous task and have nooooo idea what to do now, making me regret all the work I've put in already. Siiigh.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    A lot of those quests had some npc holding the hands of the first people to do them, I think. Afterwards, if you don't know the trick (or were told the trick), you're basically not going to be figuring it out. The Seren Epic is like this, there are so many non sequiturs, you need a helping hand from someone with a walkthrough to do it the first time.