General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Got in at 1:00 AM last night.  Woke up late this morning and in my tired rush to get to work on time, I went all emo on my own face with my razor, which resulted in me being both late and looking like ass.

Stangmar - Retired

• The passive aggressiveness of one of my managers knows no bounds. Yes, I fucked up and spent too much work time browsing online and got rightly reprimanded for that. But he is now, on the days that his 'spies' (two colleagues sitting at the desks behind me) are not here coming up to our office with the most random reasons and interrupting us and worst of all subjecting us to his god awful sense of humor (no, I do not think a HR manager making casual sexist or racist jokes is ok, sorry dude). This is not helping my anxiety. Being in an open plan office already is bad enough, I struggle with relaxing here even if I 100% do work stuff. I'd fare much better with increased privacy. Yet how am I ever going to convince that manager that privacy is what I need when he's seemingly intent on keeping catching me in the act? Kinda brought it upon myself I know, but him being an ass about it, not to mention annoy my colleagues who then in turn are annoyed at me because I'm the reason he keeps coming up and spying is no fun.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Rialorm said:
    The passive aggressiveness of one of my managers knows no bounds. Yes, I fucked up and spent too much work time browsing online and got rightly reprimanded for that. But he is now, on the days that his 'spies' (two colleagues sitting at the desks behind me) are not here coming up to our office with the most random reasons and interrupting us and worst of all subjecting us to his god awful sense of humor (no, I do not think a HR manager making casual sexist or racist jokes is ok, sorry dude). This is not helping my anxiety. Being in an open plan office already is bad enough, I struggle with relaxing here even if I 100% do work stuff. I'd fare much better with increased privacy. Yet how am I ever going to convince that manager that privacy is what I need when he's seemingly intent on keeping catching me in the act? Kinda brought it upon myself I know, but him being an ass about it, not to mention annoy my colleagues who then in turn are annoyed at me because I'm the reason he keeps coming up and spying is no fun.
    I've learned that workplaces are the worst places to find friends. At least, you can't be friends with someone who in any way threatens your position within a company. Maybe someone from a different department. Never someone you work closely with. 

What is with the competition? The emotional blackmail? The bullying and mean-spiritedness? Why does challenging something have to become 'this person isn't a team player'? Why does being good at what you do mean 'this person is a know-it-all who ought to be ridiculed about it'? How is it healthy or sustainable to gossip and want to get people in trouble?

I don't understand it. The corporate world isn't something I want to be part of again.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Corporate world sucks. It's great until the established hierarchy turns against you then you're just 12 kinds of screwed with zero recourse. The reality of those above you being above you gives them infinitely more credibility than you have, and unless you catch them being unfair or doing something wrong on paper, you just have to deal with it. It can be illogical, irrational, unfair, and downright wrong but hey, the system supports it so long as it's trickling down and not up. You have to move mountains when your boss does something wrong, but when it's you, all it takes is a "no," and some half assed excuse as to why they are saying no. You're supposed to act like it's not personal or it's just work, but the reality is that it's your livelyhood, it's very and deeply personal. Every other aspect of your life can often depend on that paycheck.

Offices also tend to be places where extroverts excel because...reasons. I really have no idea. Boisterous, outgoing, loud people are just assumed to be inherently better or more American or something. If an extrovert has a criticism, they're just opinionated and driven and a go getter trying to change things. Promotions are practically thrown at them. When it's an introvert, they're just an asshole.

Sucks hardcore.

I'm currently dealing with it. In fact, I'm taking up a workout routine and running to help deal with the pent of anger and aggression I've been struggling with lately because of the gross unfairness of it all. I'm making an active effort to leave work at work (it's exceedingly difficult, especially when I know I'm right and I can't do anything about it). Striving to do better, hard work, stepping out of my comfort zone and far exceeding the duties of my role to advance in the company got me diddly because a new boss, 2 days in role, has the authority to tell me the past year doesn't matter. It started over the day she moved in. Screw the fact that I've been helping fill the vacant position I applied for the PAST ENTIRE YEAR IT'S BEEN VACANT.

Now we have this whole team optimization thing where they scrambled the teams around. I've got new territories and crap to start alllll over with, and somehow, I'm just supposed to care as much as I did the past year, knowing that it'll get me nowhere. NAH BRUH, I'M GOOD.

• @Svorai and @Celina, I know them feels :( It's why I personally have opted to use government funding on a job coach (may as well get something back for all those taxes), because I keep running into these hurdles at each job always around a few months in. Had my first talk yesterday and from just hearing myself go over my study and job history, listing likes and dislikes for each, it seems that I do really like programming. I just don't mesh well with corporate culture. Unsurprisingly I am also an introvert. I can express myself alright socially, I speak up enough during meetings and such these days (people always complained about that, and it is often taken for indifference) but I just need a lot of alone time especially when tired or stressed. I think what I need is either a company willing to cater somewhat to me, or to become a freelancer fulltime. It makes sense considering my career rolemodels in my family, my dad and aunt + uncle are all self-employed with their own business. My sister also has a side-business which for the longest time she wanted to be her main job, until now she found a job that she likes but she still works on the side with that. Oddly, I grew up with the idea I had to work for a company, and it still feels a little strange to deviate from that. Because it is secure and all I have known in my career. But I got a good feel about this job coach. 

I should really start running again, it is a great way to release stress and frustration plus you get rewarded with being in shape and that post-exercise high. It even rewires the brain to be more stress-resistant. I have however taken up meditation and try to apply mindfulness to daily life again to rewire my brain to be more resilient. However no matter what I do, I cannot fix the asshole manager who managed to sneak up to the office while writing this, pretty sure he saw me click the screen away too. He can go die in a fire really, I have logs of all the work I did plus I've fixed a whole lot of other bugs I found while I was working that weren't even my fault. If that is not good enough I dunno what is. Would not surprise me if the guy was on a crusade to get me fired. After all, we've had multiple clashes in the past because I dare disagree with management and will say if I think things are a bad idea. He's accused me of not respecting authority when once I did not feel like admitting fault to nearly dozing off during a meeting. Sure, they can assume I am being disrespectful and living an unhealthy lifestyle, but if I tell you my medical history which isn't even any of their business and they keep saying I should offer up an apology that just does it for me. Like I chose to have sleep problems. Grah!

... sorry, done ranting now Dx
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • edited July 2014
    @Rialorm sounds like someone I once had to work with. Lets just say, I'm only sorry that I didn't handle the situation better. 

:/ the only thing you can do in this situation is to turn it around on him by focusing on your work performing well. (watch out for the jealous factor, you don't want to end up with a boss that screws you over) and leave no openings for him to attack you. make yourself skilled and indispensible. That way, no one can do away with you and wreck your life.

Assume you're at war. Smile, pretend otherwise and seem to give in. Playing exactly by the rules will give you much more leeway anyway. Plus in the long run, such a bastard can't say "she was a lazy worker" and then wreck your life that way. Perform your best, DO your best. Toe the line to it's absolute limits, never give up and play for keeps.

As for offering solutions, hrm. yeah. pick your battles. I think people with that character type tend to stick with what they have decided. "might is right"

I.e - web surf on your lunch break. take other small breaks that don't involve breaking the rules? touch your toes, have a biscuit.

You don't need to fawn, but you don't have to show your dislike for him either.

Two, by this tactic you convince HIS bosses that he's making much ado about nothing, thus reducing his credibility.

Your medical history? Sit on that one. Keep it until he shoves you into a situation where you can smack him down for good with that one. but before you do, make sure you've got all escape routes plotted and you can live with the fallout if it all goes to hell.

Three - smile and always be friendly. 

Four - if it helps, pretend it's a lusternian political situation and you -want- to take over the council seat your manager is holding or at least make him go away.

what, would you do with the weapons you have?

five - HIDE all private stuff. This means no accessing private journals, social media on company computers. People -will- take the stuff you post there (even on your own private time and devices) and use it as ammunition against you

Six - Figure him out. Why does he do what he does? What makes him tick. Simply observe him.

Seven - Keep cards to yourself

In summary, Just focus on work and work only The rest doesn't matter. Smile, don't show anger. Assume you're on a war footing, so lock down your weak points. That would be your private self (no social media no blogs no journals. Do that at home). Toe the line, in public. If you're going to clash with him, make sure -you- win the battle. You don't actually have to say things out aloud to disagree. Pretend it's social credits. Make sure you use them wisely.
    And work, your hardest, do everything at your best. MAKE sure it's noticed. I.e basically develop a rep. Then observe your "enemy" what makes him tick? what's pushing at him? Who does he have to face? Address some of those concerns, or use it to quietly push his buttons. 

politics is basically people upsetting your emotional equilibrium and keeping you there, while they use that time to circle around you and stab you in the back with rules and power. 

(i'm terrible at the former nowadays but it's a good game plan. It's not a complete solution, but you'll be okay)
    is dead like the dodo
  • edited July 2014
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Man. I'm so glad I work at a small privately owned company. Not seen any of the office politics (some minor snappiness now and then but nothing major or consistent) and fairly flexible about hours/needs/etc.

The fact that my boss is one of the company's owners means I never get screwed by middle management. There's not any non-technical pure management roles so the higher up actually know there stuff. And since it's privately owned there's none of those weird/sucky decisions to please investors or shareholders.

Of course, the trade off is I don't get the same sort pay I would get at a huge company, but the security and stress-free nature more than makes up for it.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Thanks @Xeria, solid advice right there. I might just have to block websites on my pc except for noon hours, it gets too tempting to break the rules when nobody is around. It's a bad habit to break too, at previous jobs this was not an issue, I could browse around so long as I got my job done and delivered good quality work. I just hope that the additional RAM for my work laptop is installed soon, the whole waiting for code to compile gives you those tempting 10-20 seconds to open a browser window. Ideally what we'd need are SSDs for the laptops, but the hardware guys somehow could not get them running with the last batch we had in. That or I need to think of some productive time-waster to do in those seconds that doesn't lead to distraction. Anyone have ideas? :o
  • edited July 2014
    @Rialorm mini-meditation mindfulness sessions? Where you close your eyes and just meditate for half a minute?

Or just get up, and walk around or get a drink?

Do admin stuff like "clean your table" or "finish checking mail before code finishes compiling"

Smile and chat with co-workers? (if they're open to it) 

Start on next session?

The way I see it, it's a willpower issue. That's what it boils down to. SHEER WILLPOWER! *evil cackle*
    is dead like the dodo
  • Part of me wishes Melds and Demesnes werent such a big prerequisite of Lusternian combat. I think someone once put it in these words that best describe it:

Lusternia raid: "Okay do we have a melder? Do they have a melder?"

A fight can be done without a Warrior, a Guardian, a Bard, and even a Monk, as they supply a small percentage to the whole, but having a meld/melder or not seems to be such a deciding factor that it annoys me. If any area is melded for your team, the enemy wont enter unless they can counter it with their own, and vice versa.

My rant I suppose.
  • One way to semi-counter it would be to have a general skill that allows anyone to break a meld (albeit at a slower pace than a melder). At least I don't think there is a skill like that right now... Perhaps even extend TrueGround to allow you to break demesnes?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    No, that would make things far worse.
  • Concerns about school and money... that sorta thing.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • I think America's World Cup journey is over :( .
    Stangmar - Retired

• Stangmar said:
    I think America's World Cup journey is over :( .
  • Trying to self-teach Japanese has been going decently, but I'm losing steam. I hit something of an impasse in my lesson book and don't really have anyone to talk with about it.

Yet at the same time I don't feel sanguine about advancing until I've figured this out. Sigh.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• Don't be melancholy. As long as you approach it in a phlegmatic manner, I'm sure your choler won't rise enough to where you'll be tempted to quit in a fit of rage!
  • Lillie said:
    Trying to self-teach Japanese has been going decently, but I'm losing steam. I hit something of an impasse in my lesson book and don't really have anyone to talk with about it.

Yet at the same time I don't feel sanguine about advancing until I've figured this out. Sigh.
    I studied Japanese language and culture at university, during which I studied abroad for a few months. It's been a few years, but I might be able to help still. What's stumped you?
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Stangmar said:
    I think America's World Cup journey is over :( .
    I really hope the US looks at Tim Howard, and realises why he's by far the most talented player in the squad, and allow youth with natural talent and potential to sign with top flight European clubs early on, then market the shit out of them by airing European football in America so people can watch "their boys" play at the top level.

That amount of experience and nurtured talent, in a country so rich with potential as America, they'll be world champions within 30 years.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited July 2014
    The use of "de" vs. "ni". Also it's been a while since I used any kanji (I was the top of my Chinese class and went there for 3 months in 2012, but haven't used it all that much since), so they're a bit sloppy, and I know my "ushiro" is absolutely fucked.

Speaking of Kanji, the use 学園 (as well as the traditional 'gaku' kanji) of is a habit from knowing Chinese (as taught by a Taiwanese person). Looking in the book afterward, I saw that Japanese use 学校 more.

This was my 1st exam, by the way, so I didn't allow myself to look anything up until I checked my answers. But the "de" and "ni" and occasional "ga" slip me up a lot.

Higher Resolution

The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• Lillie said:
    Trying to self-teach Japanese has been going decently, but I'm losing steam. I hit something of an impasse in my lesson book and don't really have anyone to talk with about it.

Well, first off, don't beat yourself over it. For a Westerner, Japanese is one of the hardest languages to learn and you're trying to teach yourself from books.

The problem is that your brain is wired a certain way for your native language (which I'm assuming is English) and you have to give it time for it to re-wire and comprehend the new language. That can take months or years. Sometimes, it is best to just -accept- it and not translate or understand it in your native lang. When I speak Japanese, I don't think in English anymore which makes it so much easier to manipulate it.

Are you listening to Japanese everyday? You have to hit at least 10,000 hours of listening before you can catch on at a good pace.

What are your goals for the language? Do you want to gain complete fluency, become a translator/interpreter, or just be able to communicate?
  • I'd like to have enough of a base that I can get by in Japan while still learning the language while I'm there. I have intermediate fluency in Chinese after 2 years because I had an excellent teacher, but my university has no Japanese program, unfortunately. At least, not an official one; there's a Japanese Student Association that puts on classes every now and again. 

So as nice as it would be to get to that level in Japanese, I don't think it's viable, which is why I'm just trying to build a foundation for myself over the next year (graduating in December 2015).

This is because my plan for after graduating is to teach English either in Japan (preferred) or China.

• Lillie said:
    The use of "de" vs. "ni". Also it's been a while since I used any kanji (I was the top of my Chinese class and went there for 3 months in 2012, but haven't used it all that much since), so they're a bit sloppy, and I know my "ushiro" is absolutely fucked.

Speaking of Kanji, the use 学園 (as well as the traditional 'gaku' kanji) of is a habit from knowing Chinese (as taught by a Taiwanese person). Looking in the book afterward, I saw that Japanese use 学校 more.

This was my 1st exam, by the way, so I didn't allow myself to look anything up until I checked my answers. But the "de" and "ni" and occasional "ga" slip me up a lot.

Higher Resolution

<snip>

As a general rule of thumb, で indicates the "event location" -- something is happening at the place that precedes で. 「今年はブラジルでFIFAがあります。」 = FIFA is in Brazil this year.

に, meanwhile, indicates a general location and direction. 「あなたのかぎが車にあります。」 = Your keys are in the car.
  • Lillie said:
    I'd like to have enough of a base that I can get by in Japan while still learning the language while I'm there. I have intermediate fluency in Chinese after 2 years because I had an excellent teacher, but my university has no Japanese program, unfortunately. At least, not an official one; there's a Japanese Student Association that puts on classes every now and again. 

So as nice as it would be to get to that level in Japanese, I don't think it's viable, which is why I'm just trying to build a foundation for myself over the next year (graduating in December 2015).

This is because my plan for after graduating is to teach English either in Japan (preferred) or China.
    Your Chinese background will help you a lot with your reading skills... you'll just need to make some adjustments on how you understand the grammar since they are different.

I think you're on the right track. Don't worry about the learning curve so much... just take it a day at a time.

Now, teaching English in Japan is a dead-end career unless you have an educational background and looking for a university position. However, you can do it for a couple of years and the safest path is via the JET program. I would just recommend on being very pro-active on finding something else work-related. Teaching privately on your own or at a eikaiwa school isn't too bad but if you get stuck teaching at a Junior high school it's like playing Russian roulette with an AK-47.

I saw one Canadian young lady come to Japan to be a maid cafe girl and to join a pseudo-AKB48 troupe. She was on a popular show called 'YOUは何しに日本へ?' trans: Why did you come to Japan?' She became very popular after that....

The best advice I can give you is research on -where- you want to be in Japan. Country, city, or suburbs? Cold, temperate, or hot? Western or Eastern Japan? All the prefectures are different with their own flavour. Wherever you go, you'll be faced with xenophobia and passive racism... it'll just be in different degrees depending on where you are. But if you are living in the place you want to be, life is so much easier to handle.

I've been in Japan for over 13 years now. It's a great place to live as long as you keep an open mind.

• Lillie said:

Yeah, I love how you used to old version of 学 for school... I see it from time to time in old newspapers from the 40s.

I see 学園 in more private, historical schools closer to the meaning of academy. I especially see its usage during the high school baseball games on TV. 学校 is the one widely used for school.

Particles are the bane of all Japanese-learners and even for the Japanese. This past Sunday I saw a discussion on TV where they were talking about a minor change to a law. The only difference was changing the topic of 'wa' to 'mo'... The announcer was like... 'Isn't Japanese hard? So please explain to us change and what it signifies' to the politician. LAWL

で has specific usages but the main one is when an action takes place in a location ('at' or 'in'). に has more usage in my opinion because it's often used with the passive form but it's mainly used for location of where a person or thing is.... Again, if you try to comprehend it in English... the concept will blow your mind. I highly recommend buying 'All About Particles' by Naoko Chino and just attack the book over and over again. I struggle with particles everyday....

Also, I recommend sticking to the polite form ~ます forms with your sentences. It's easier to go from polite to informal then the other way around when you learn it.
  • みんな、本当にありがとうございます!

• Why does Belgium continue to win. Argh, I was just about to fall asleep last night and suddenly I hear GOAL GOAL GOAL and there is a continued series of chanting and cheering and what not. And of course everyone is talking about it today. Please lose already D:
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    You've got Argentina and then likely the Dutch in the next two rounds, should get knocked out at some point.

If you don't, you're in the final. Gods help you at that point, especially if they win.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!