General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited November 2014
    I know those feels. I have a 2 hour class I absolutely dread attending, because it's time I could be spending doing anything else.

We spend a good chunk of the class practicing with flashcards, trying to get up our percent right.. my percent right is 100%. It's always been 100%. Memorizing terms is easy, can I please have that thirty minutes of classtime back? Ditto time spent watching videos of children failing to grasp object permanence, etc. It's really cute, don't get me wrong: I just don't need to drive thirty minutes and sit in a classroom to do it. BLUH. WTB more classes where my in-class time is spent doing things I can't just do on my own, way faster, wearing less clothing, in the comfort of my own home. Like anatomy. My anatomy prof. is awesome, the class time is awesome.
  • This is pretty much exactly how I feel about 9 to 5 jobs. At least in college we could skip classes (no points for attendance) and go only to the interesting ones. I'd work on team projects during the other hours, as I had friends who had quite a daily travel distance. Teachers were cool and tolerated us doing that because they knew that we were at the college building doing something productive. Sucks if you have classes with mandatory attendance though. Because that is often how I felt at the office. You have to be there even if you are waiting for someone else to complete their job, and while you could do extra work you already knew it wouldn't help for a promotion because it would go unnoticed. It's really sad a lot of jobs are like that and often people spend large chunks of their day wasted in order to appear busy. My life would sure be easier if I was one of those people who didn't mind that. But I have like a million things always more interested I'd love to be spending time on, so being told to sit there and behave is pretty depressing. This is why I hope to find out something job-wise for me that means I no longer have to be subjected to that. Consider me spoiled but eh, life is short and we most likely only ever get one shot at it.

You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • 9-5 jobs with open time == more time to play Lusternia!

I know a couple people who have written books while working at the DMV.
  • While I get away with a great deal at work, I don't know if I could get away with playing lusternia, lol.

I have a LOT of downtime at work right now, as it's not tax season.  I prefer being busy.  I feel unproductive right now and it's the pits.  

Stangmar - Retired

• Yeah, I too prefer to work at work. However I think after my last job experience I prefer a job where I can fill 'lost time' how I see fit instead of being watched 8 hours on end to see if I was working hard. Take a five minute break to clear your mind? Reported to the bosses by your colleagues. Yeah, that is a great work environment, I totally feel motivated to give it my all now. But eh, it's behind me now, I'll stop whining and focus on the present and future instead :)

However, for a small dissatisfaction today, at times I just dislike being sensitive as I am, and an introvert to go with that. I go out for a few hours to run errands, and my mind feels frazzled as hell. Too many people and noise and stuff everywhere, and this was mid-afternoon so it wasn't even that busy. I find myself in envy of people who (seem to?) have no problem with that.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • That sounds like a terrible job, what were you doing? A security guard?  (It's the only job I can think of that would warrant such rules)

My social anxiety is bad, but not as bad as you describe it going on errands. If it's debilitating I'd talk to someone about it.
  • Daganev said:
    That sounds like a terrible job, what were you doing? A security guard?  (It's the only job I can think of that would warrant such rules)

My social anxiety is bad, but not as bad as you describe it going on errands. If it's debilitating I'd talk to someone about it.
    Software development. I was struggling with insomnia at the time. At my worst I'd sometimes just randomly doze off on the spot. This was taken as a sign of "must be staying up all night to game". I was called in for that when it happened at a meeting. Management wanted me to apologize and admit fault. I explained that I was sorry that it seemed as if I was disinterested in the 4 hour meeting (I was because it was going nowhere for hours on end, but that's beside the point) and that I was merely struggling because I had slept maybe 3 hours that night. Zero understanding and since then my colleagues were tasked to watch my every move for 'underperforming'. Then where it came to the point where they fired me I got a huge lecture about how I should learn to accept authority or I'd keep on failing in life. Just the whole lack of understanding and them trying to force me out or getting me to leave voluntarily just leaves me feeling bad. I know it is an isolated incident of an outlier company but it still sucks I had to experience that. Understanding for mental health has a long way to come still in some places :(

As for help, I have a therapist I continue to see. She was helping me with what I could do to get another job before I was fired. But honestly that last has been a blessing in disguise, I should be able to qualify for unemployment benefits while I figure out what to do next. As for social anxiety, it's not that. I'm highly sensitive. This is probably due to a bad series of events in my life. My family says I used to be far more extravert as well. Puts me at a disadvantage at times. But then other times, it has it's advantages, like I also experience positive emotions far more keenly and see lots of detail others miss. And I have friends who appreciate me for just that :)
  • Ah ok, I missunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant that the idea of going out for the day left you a mess.
  • These Bill Cosby rape allegations :(

If they're true, I feel so disappointed and almost betrayed by an icon of wholesomeness. 

Right in the childhood.
    Stangmar - Retired

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    What. I grew up on the Cosby Show. Say it ain't so.

• I don't have the energy to know if Bill Cosby or those who are accusing him are telling the truth.
    But I'm really dissapointed that netflix and others are going to pull down the cosby show, which is a really good show , with really good lessons, because of it.

If we removed access to all the movies and tv shows that had people with questionable acts involved, we wouldn't have any shows left to watch.
  • Qistrel said:
    What. I grew up on the Cosby Show. Say it ain't so.
    IT IS SO

*grooms*
  • Daganev said:
    I don't have the energy to know if Bill Cosby or those who are accusing him are telling the truth.
    But I'm really dissapointed that netflix and others are going to pull down the cosby show, which is a really good show , with really good lessons, because of it.

If we removed access to all the movies and tv shows that had people with questionable acts involved, we wouldn't have any shows left to watch.
    lol
    There goes everything to do with Charlie Sheen.  amirite?
  • Erebos said:
    Daganev said:
    I don't have the energy to know if Bill Cosby or those who are accusing him are telling the truth.

lol
    Eh, good riddance. He really only ever plays the same kind of character any way.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Erebos said:
    Daganev said:

lol
    Eh, good riddance. He really only ever plays the same kind of character any way.
    Except it is still all there. I think removing anything is just a horrible kneejerk reaction of Netflix and makes me trust and value their service less. Which sucks, because we only just got it here and there's no real (legal) alternatives unless you buy TV on demand, which means getting cable again. I was TV-less before it became cool, I ain't going back.
  • Rialorm said:
    Ssaliss said:
    Erebos said:
    Daganev said:

lol
    Except it is still all there. I think removing anything is just a horrible kneejerk reaction of Netflix and makes me trust and value their service less. Which sucks, because we only just got it here and there's no real (legal) alternatives unless you buy TV on demand, which means getting cable again. I was TV-less before it became cool, I ain't going back.
    It's legal in my country, not sure if it's legal in the US.  But I'd look into "Project Free tv"
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Orventa said:
    In a couple days, it will be my birthday.

And I am dreading it with every coming second.

Because it will mark one year from when someone beloved to me was taken from me. And circumstances dictate that they will likely never again be able to return to where I am. And I cannot be where they are.

It marks months of heartache.

But it will mark celebration for them, for which I can be glad, simply because they still live.

But I am still terrified to wish, because wishes have prices, and I have nothing left to give.
    @Orventa I know the feeling all too well, my father was taken from me 2 days before my 13th birthday, granted that was nearly 20 years ago now, but each year it still comes to mind, how different things might be if he was still around.  If you need someone to talk to/vent on, I'll be happy to talk.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Working 10-12 hour days.  For the last three weeks in a row.  Without days off.  The suck is real.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I hope you're at least getting loads of overtime pay.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Heh, nope.  I get paid on a per machine repaired basis.  LOTS of machines have been coming in since most places here are booked at least like a week out, and I'm trying to keep our turn time to 2-3 days.  It's been...fun.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Woke up this morning, heat was on. That was great. I was nice and toasty warm. Air was dry. No big deal.

I sit up.

Blood squirts out of my nose everywhere.

Had a nosebleed for 20 minutes. No joke, 20 minutes.

Thanks body.
  • Selenity said:
    Woke up this morning, heat was on. That was great. I was nice and toasty warm. Air was dry. No big deal.

I sit up.

Thanks body.
    That sucks.  

My landlord just turned our heat on yesterday.  I'd been waking up to a 66 degree room every morning, which wasn't bad.  Now it's at a 72 which is good.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Having fun in Lusternia.

Power goes off. Because country does not have enough power stations to meet demand, leading them to just switch off power to certain areas at peak time.

#thirdworldproblems

• Qistrel said:
    Having fun in Lusternia.

Power goes off. Because country does not have enough power stations to meet demand, leading them to just switch off power to certain areas at peak time.

#thirdworldproblems
    If it makes you feel better, we have an emergency plan here should winter get too bad where certain places will be put on lower power or no power. So much for being a first world country :( Still, sounds like you have it worse there, so you have my symphaties.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Selenity said:

I sit up.

Thanks body.
    Nose was itchy. Rubbed it. Blood happened again.

It's itchy again.

Maybe I should just cut my nose off, can't have a nosebleed without a nose...
  • Selenity said:
    Selenity said:

I sit up.

Thanks body.
    Nose was itchy. Rubbed it. Blood happened again.

It's itchy again.

Maybe I should just cut my nose off, can't have a nosebleed without a nose...
    Not entirely certain which is worse, a nosebleed or a face hole bleed. (Is also suffering from rampant dry air nose bleeds. They suck)
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    This might be stating the obvious, but have you tried using an over-the-counter saline nose spray to keep the inner lining from drying out?  Also using a humidifier in your house/room can help a bit too.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Kagato said:
    This might be stating the obvious, but have you tried using an over-the-counter saline nose spray to keep the inner lining from drying out?  Also using a humidifier in your house/room can help a bit too.
    Or just place bowls with water on top of heating units if a humidifier costs too much. There do exist little portable desk units as well but I don't know about their effectiveness.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I use de-humidifers. Like, two or three really big ones, that each have to be emptied at least once a day. Must be nice to live in a place that dries out so easily :P
  • BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Right, needed to get THAT out of my system.
    is dead like the dodo