General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Ugh seasonal depression sucks. It's even more annoying when you've studied it, know why it's happening, know how it's happening, and are completely aware of the process of motivation just seeeeeeping away. It would be fascinating if it wasn't so terrible.

But that's OK, I can occupy myself with tasty, tasty XP gain.
  • Lendren said:
    The blizzard knocked out power at my house late afternoon yesterday and it's still not back and they might not have it back tonight, which will force me to scramble to find a hotel with a room that'll let me bring my dog, at a time when a lot of other people are in the same situation. All because of water pressure. I can rough it just fine and have a woodstove, but when you can't flush the toilets or run any water, that limits your options. I can't afford a hotel stay right now... for one thing, the same blizzard just ruined my $800 snowthrower. :(
    melt snow and use it to flush the toilet, as for drinking.. kinda clueless there less you could let out and go buy some drinking water there =\
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• Xeltha said:
    Ugh seasonal depression sucks. It's even more annoying when you've studied it, know why it's happening, know how it's happening, and are completely aware of the process of motivation just seeeeeeping away. It would be fascinating if it wasn't so terrible.

Are you throwing all the things at it that (supposedly) help like vitamin D and light therapy and just general proper self-care that goes for any depression? You have my sympathies though, it does indeed suck :( I've turned the winter cheer dial up to 11 because I know autumn and winter can get to me if I don't. Comforting warm drinks with seasonal spice, my fleece blanky to hide under, Christmas decoration since end of November, and I'm keeping up my running through the winter so long as there is no ice (that'd be dangerous). I've found the coolness of the air is actually really enjoyable when I'm properly packed in with a hat and gloves and layered clothing I can zip or unzip to regulate temperature. Plus, it is great when you pass by other people / other runners and they signal to you that they approve, like a thumbs up or a friendly greeting. I know, it can be super hard to get yourself out there if you feel really bad, but the best I've learned over the years is to drag myself kicking and screaming to do something even if I don't want to because experience has taught me that in most cases I feel somewhat better and at least it gives me some temporarily relief from gloomy thoughts and breaking that cycle is important. So yeah, that's my advice too, don't wait for motivation but get yourself to do stuff you enjoyed or is good for you and you should feel a little less worse at the very least.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Arimisia said:
    Lendren said:
    The blizzard knocked out power at my house late afternoon yesterday and it's still not back and they might not have it back tonight, which will force me to scramble to find a hotel with a room that'll let me bring my dog, at a time when a lot of other people are in the same situation. All because of water pressure. I can rough it just fine and have a woodstove, but when you can't flush the toilets or run any water, that limits your options. I can't afford a hotel stay right now... for one thing, the same blizzard just ruined my $800 snowthrower. :(
    melt snow and use it to flush the toilet, as for drinking.. kinda clueless there less you could let out and go buy some drinking water there =\
    Use the woodstove to melt snow and boil it if it comes down to that. Boil like 10 mins or so, then can cool it down.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    Use the woodstove to melt snow and boil it if it comes down to that. Boil like 10 mins or so, then can cool it down.
    I wasn't sure if that'd do the trick or not, it was at the back of my mind to boil it for drinking though ^^
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    In all honesty, melted snow is probably fine to drink without boiling if it's fresh and hasn't been sitting around for awhile. The boiling is just to be safe.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Rialorm said:
    Xeltha said:
    Ugh seasonal depression sucks. It's even more annoying when you've studied it, know why it's happening, know how it's happening, and are completely aware of the process of motivation just seeeeeeping away. It would be fascinating if it wasn't so terrible.

Are you throwing all the things at it that (supposedly) help like vitamin D and light therapy and just general proper self-care that goes for any depression? You have my sympathies though, it does indeed suck :( I've turned the winter cheer dial up to 11 because I know autumn and winter can get to me if I don't. Comforting warm drinks with seasonal spice, my fleece blanky to hide under, Christmas decoration since end of November, and I'm keeping up my running through the winter so long as there is no ice (that'd be dangerous). I've found the coolness of the air is actually really enjoyable when I'm properly packed in with a hat and gloves and layered clothing I can zip or unzip to regulate temperature. Plus, it is great when you pass by other people / other runners and they signal to you that they approve, like a thumbs up or a friendly greeting. I know, it can be super hard to get yourself out there if you feel really bad, but the best I've learned over the years is to drag myself kicking and screaming to do something even if I don't want to because experience has taught me that in most cases I feel somewhat better and at least it gives me some temporarily relief from gloomy thoughts and breaking that cycle is important. So yeah, that's my advice too, don't wait for motivation but get yourself to do stuff you enjoyed or is good for you and you should feel a little less worse at the very least.
    They sell "broad-spectrum" lightbulbs at wal-mart. It seems ridiculous to me, but that one little thing has definitely made a huge difference in how SAD affects me.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • edited December 2014
    Rialorm said:
    Xeltha said:

----
    Yeah, I take 2000 IU Vitamin D3 supplements. That's the minimum required vitamin D for healthiness, and a lot more than most people get. I don't get much sun unfortunately. Luckily it isn't really cold here in Texas, so I'm not sure if it's actually seasonal or if it just happens to keep hitting me hardest as soon as December rolls around.

There's not really all that much to do around here. Plus my job has me alone with my thoughts eight hours out of the day. Something that does help is just logging in to Lusternia and chatting with people, though. Then there's my weekly D&D game I look forward to.

In retrospect I think this is why I made Xeltha so cheerful.

EDIT: I think the quote broke. :o
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Hard conversation this morning. It could have gone much worse, but thankfully, the people participating were level-headed and know how to express their convictions without yelling.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    When you want to play and have fun, and you -are- playing and having fun, then suddenly you're half an hour into an uncontrollable mood swing and leave never wanting to log in again.

Tomorrow is a another day, at least.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I've penciled you in for some diplomacy.  :>
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Have to say, this is a brilliant time for a migraine. I'll stick it through to the end, but life hates me I think.
  • Altrea said:
    Have to say, this is a brilliant time for a migraine. I'll stick it through to the end, but life hates me I think.
    Kick the migrane's butt, Grand General! For Phil, hallowed be his name.
  • edited December 2014
    We got power back last night for a few hours, then lost it again.

Flushing with a bucket is somewhat effective, less so than for most people because of the particular toilets we have, but we can use it to stretch things a bit. And we have a fair amount of potable water set aside. At this point it's mostly about the exhaustion from not being able to sleep (between the animals being anxious, needing to keep getting up to build the fire back up, and every bathroom trip being a production).

But there are a ton of people who have it a lot worse, who've not had power longer, or who don't have coolers to move their food to so they end up losing everything in the fridge, or who don't have a woodstove, or who can't use a shower at their office or a friend's house. Plus the poor guys who've been working on line repair for something like 70 hours straight now, and every time they fix something another tree falls on it so it must feel like they're making no progress.
  • :/ Seriously. You ASSHOLE! 
    is dead like the dodo
  • Xeria said:
    :/ Seriously. You ASSHOLE! 
    Huh?

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Pectus said:
    Xeria said:
    :/ Seriously. You ASSHOLE! 
    Huh?
    Yeah, Pectus, ya jerk.

My dissatisfaction: dealing with my father now that he's back in the country. :\ I want to try and avoid it, but it's inevitable.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • @Pectus just some IRL things. That person I'm mad at should really stop saying things irresponsibly.

(My ability to smile and blow it off and handle things objectivity poofed into thin air at the beginning of this year/late last year. Hence the explosion) 
    is dead like the dodo
  • So all year I've been trying to train the dog not to bark when somebody is at the door or even just walks by out on the street.

Today I find out that when she does it, my roommate/landlord praises her, calls her a good girl, and thanks her for looking out for us.   SMH.

Stangmar - Retired

• I hurt and ran out of painkillers last night and my doctor isn't in the office right now to call me in a refill.

Also, my win percentage in solitaire just decremented. 12% now of 1627 games.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11374445

:(  Hoping the hostage situation in Sydney ends without anyone getting hurt (except maybe the perpetrators...

Hoping even MORE that no one from here that lives in Australia has been caught up in the situation...
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • I hate it when people assume the worst of others.
  • Selenity said:
    Daganev said:
    I hate it when people assume the worst of others.
    When you assume the worst of others or assume the worst of a situation, anything better than the worst will be a pleasant and welcome surprise.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.
    Also a great way to cause ill feelings, never ending arguments, and general misery. 
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal

Selenity said:
    Daganev said:
    When you assume the worst of others or assume the worst of a situation, anything better than the worst will be a pleasant and welcome surprise.

Sounds like what I used to tell my mum when she'd say I was depressing, "The great thing about being a pessimist is that I'm either always right or happily surprised."
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • There is an important distinction between assuming and believing.
    Daganev said:
    Selenity said:
    Daganev said:

Also a great way to cause ill feelings, never ending arguments, and general misery. 
    That sounds more like actively believing something or someone must be utterly terrible and there is no other possible option.

As for me, today was a national day of strikes here in Belgium. Now with being unemployed that didn't affect me, in fact I could work just fine on the current webdesign project I am on. But it seems like -everyone- from Belgium on my FB is fighting the "I am on strike" versus the "I am willing to work" fight and throwing mud at the other camp and of course there is a lot of "bosses suck". "the government sucks" and also some "employees suck" going around. People collectively voted for the current government but are surprised it then shows its true colours. Well what do you expect when you vote for the lofty promises but ignore the rest of the campaign. It's not like nobody tried to warn about that either. And all in all, something has got to give, a financial crisis always comes with aftershocks and a debt that must be paid at some point. You can't have your cake and eat it too. But when you say that you've got both camps on your case. So instead I just stated I am quite enjoying the silver lining of having been fired from my last job. I still suspect I've probably pissed off some people with that :P
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Trying to find a new place to live that's still close to my job is impossible. :/
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Ugh....running.

It's for people who are being attacked and didn't bring a gun.  
    Stangmar - Retired