What are you watching?

Comments

• I'm really liking the new Supergirl show.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Scorpion, Jessica Jones, Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Mr. Robot, s5 GoT
  • The pilot for Mr. Robot is really quite good.
  • If you're not watching the Expanse yet, put that gingerbread cookie down and go watch it now (and read the books).
    ^ this

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Finished SAO, watching Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix now, and impressing myself that I can follow the French subtitles fairly well.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    @Luce did you watch SAO 2? Is it any good? I've been eyeing it for a while now.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Rancoura said:
    @Luce did you watch SAO 2? Is it any good? I've been eyeing it for a while now.
    Okay, here's the deal: Did you like SAO I? Was the action and the story worth slogging through the romance/harem subplots? Can you tolerate the original premise being nothing but a distant memory? Then yes, it's okay.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Mm, I'll give it a try then.

I did like the first half of the first SAO better than the second half, so I'll watch #2 with a grain of salt. 

Also, if you're on Netflix and watching anime, give Psycho Pass a watch. It was a pleasant surprise.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Watched Outsourced with my wife and little sister before she heads back to school. Forgot how much I enjoyed that movie.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    So. I will say that I watched Force Awakens, and that I will save my fangushing until the agreed upon intergalactic deadline on spoilers (1 month) has past.
  • Luce said:
    So. I will say that I watched Force Awakens, and that I will save my fangushing until the agreed upon intergalactic deadline on spoilers (1 month) has past.
    Dat bridge scene tho

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited December 2015
    Part of me wishes Dune had become the sci-fi cultural touchstone that everyone adores instead of Star Wars. That's a universe that seems so much more cohesive and rich. But every treatment of the material outside the novels has been atrocious, so I guess I'll just be thankful for those. :) EDIT: On that topic, has anybody seen that documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune" ? Is it worth paying for in this age of endless free streaming?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Made the boy watch RuPaul's Drag Race today. Would like to let @Talan know that Willam is his favorite.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Daraius said:
    Part of me wishes Dune had become the sci-fi cultural touchstone that everyone adores instead of Star Wars. That's a universe that seems so much more cohesive and rich. But every treatment of the material outside the novels has been atrocious, so I guess I'll just be thankful for those. :) EDIT: On that topic, has anybody seen that documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune" ? Is it worth paying for in this age of endless free streaming?

I hate to say it Daraius but I think David Lynch is the best Dune we are going to get. I'd love to see it get the HBO treatment. According to Wikipedia, Paramount made moves towards a movie in 2008 but it't gone through several cycles of director firings. The way the movie business works, if the Paramount executive who green lit the project in 08 is no longer there (likely) then chances are his successor shit-canned the project, so as not to be "tainted" by failure. The rights are owned by a director by the name of lder Richard P. Rubinstein. So what I'm saying is get use to bald Bene Gesserit and Harkonnen heart plugs.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I thought that David Lynch's Dune was absolutely beautiful to look at but needed a better writer. I'm told that it made absolutely no sense to people who hadn't read the book first, but at least it was pretty. With a few conceptually stupid moments as exceptions, of course. I don't mind the bald Bene Gesserit, but those heart plugs were pretty questionable.

We can all take solance in Dune being a huge influence on most science fiction that came after, I guess.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • The biggest problem I see is that the franchise gets really, really weird after the first book. The first one is definitely a masterpiece, but many of the rest are filled with wtf. I'm not sure how watchable that would even be, especially to a general audience.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I ran across Saitama vs. Boros by chance, got curious, and started watching One Punch Man backwards. Don't think it's made much impact on the narrative at all, and it's been pretty entertaining and impressively animated for such a dumb show. The studio must have had lots of fun making it.
  • Finally binge watched Breaking Bad. Completed it a week ago.

Now I'm onto Skins. It's a show I loved six or seven years ago. Just wanted to revisit it. 
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited December 2015
    Vivet said:
    I ran across Saitama vs. Boros by chance, got curious, and started watching One Punch Man backwards. Don't think it's made much impact on the narrative at all, and it's been pretty entertaining and impressively animated for such a dumb show. The studio must have had lots of fun making it.

Probably one of the most satisfying fights I've ever watched for 2015, right up there with one of the final fights from UBW.
  • Re: SAO, if you enjoyed that you should try out Log Horizon and Overlord, both of which work on much the same principles.

Also yes one-punch man show of the year.
  • Kalnid said:
    Re: SAO, if you enjoyed that you should try out Log Horizon and Overlord, both of which work on much the same principles.

Also yes one-punch man show of the year.
    Thanks for the suggestions! My boyfriend and I loved SAO so much. 
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Just watched Cocaine Cowboys on Netflix. It's a documentary about cocaine trafficking in Miami in the 80's and how they basically built the city to what it is today. It was really interesting! Pretty crazy at the end when they showed how little time those guys served, they killed a lot of people.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
    edited January 2016
    Black Mirror put out an episode for Christmas that's pretty chilling. They do technodystopia right.

EDIT: Oh, erm... I see now that was actually from 2014. Sorry! It was new to Netflix and me.  
    :\">
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:
    Black Mirror put out an episode for Christmas that's pretty chilling. They do technodystopia right.
    Aw man, you made me think there was a new special for this past year. I got all excited. :C

I would like to mention relatedly that the White Bear episode was absolutely one of the most fantastic things ever put on film, and also the only TV thing I can think off that ever made me feel actually nauseated from sheer ... I don't even know what word best describes that emotion. Horror? Shock? Disgust? All of the above? Something else? I dunno. But the episode was amazing.

Also Black Mirror in general is just wonderful.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • edited January 2016
    Some backstory: So I generally despise anime because I think they're obvious attempts at selling sex and what not. Many are just overly perverted and have shallow stories. However, there are few that I grew up and absolutely adored like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, among others. I just want a story and some character development with some grittiness mixed in. Basically, an adult cartoon. One of my favorites, if not my favorite, was introduced to me about a year or so ago called fate/zero and I loved it since I'm also a huge history nerd. It was also incredibly gritty, had an excellent anti-hero protagonist, and the writing was top notch. Same with another one called Psychopass. I generally like the dark and gritty ones.

So, a friend of mine is like, "You should try Madoka Magica". I look at it and I'm like, "This seems like it's completely cutesy and dumb." I had nothing better to do and I watched it and about two episodes in, it got dark incredibly quickly and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Also, since I'm also a giant music nerd regardless of the source, I enjoyed it massively as the music was pretty top-notch (I'm a sucker for cellos and gregorian chant, especially if there's a rock element mixed in). I've learned that anything written by Gen Urobuchi is going to generally be automatically liked by me. He wrote fate/zero, Psychopass, and Madoka Magica. I'm tempted to give his other stuff a shot.
    Try Fullmetal Alchemist!!!
    I used to make cakes.

• At the moment, I am very excited for the second season of Agent Carter. Till it comes out, I am trying to catch up with Jessica Jones. I had to watch it because David Tennant :)
  • Daraius said:
    Try Fullmetal Alchemist!!!
    I have watched both Brotherhood and the original. I liked Brotherhood and it was dark, but I'm not a huge fan of it ultimately. I did like a few of the characters, however.