What are you watching?

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I best liked all of the episodes of coven that had Myrtle Snow in them. I watched it some time after it aired, but my mother (who watched it as it aired) told me there was this one character I would like. I immediatly knew who she meant when I saw her.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Working through Classic Doctor Who can be slow, for various reasons (none of it is actually extant anymore) and painful for others (Special effects, particularly, but "enlightened social attitudes" as well. 500 years in the future of 1967, women only exist to be protected and scream a lot.) But once you get used to the conventions and accept it on its own terms, some of the stories are surprisingly good.

The Second Doctor, Patrick Troughton, is simply amazing. I love this guy. He's brilliant, he's funny, and his stories are at once both amusing (largely because of him) and surprisingly dark. Jamie (Frazer Hines) is also great, and it's no wonder that he lasted from his introduction to the end of the Second's tenure. They have a great chemistry, right from the start, and he's got this wonderful "well, everything is basically magic anyways, so I might as well be cool with it" attitude towards all of the weird zeerust future tech they come across.

I've made it through "Tomb of the Cybermen" which is the first Second Doctor story available in its entirety. (In videorecording, at least. All of  his other stuff is available in audio, set to telephotos). It's not "the best" of his stories so far (I much prefer either The Power of the Daleks, or The Highlanders) but it's really good, and well worth watching. It's straight forward, with little in the way of twists, but it's still compelling, and there's a good amount of tension. The Cybermen were reimagined, again, and look... about as awful as they always do. But this story seems notable for its use of practical and special effects in the fights. In most previous stories, the use of high-tech super weapons tended to be shown with, at best, turning the image negative. This time, the Cybermen actually shoot corny looking lightning bolts from their hands! The laser gun used at some point actually causes a flash and a fiery explosion! The new companion, Victoria Waterfield, is probably my least favorite companion since Susan Foreman, but I'm hoping she gets better. She suffers from a lot of "stand around and scream", though that is both commented on, and used as a ploy. She also shows a few times that she's not -totally- helpless, and is willing to do things both clever and brave. A lot of new companions so far have suffered from "Written in syndrome" where they were hastily added to a story that was already written, and so they just aren't their best. (The worst was Stephen during the First Doctor era. He originally wasn't in his second story, so the parts meant for Barbara were largely given to him, and it is completely at odds with his character most of the time.)

Overall, though, if you want to watch one Troughton story to get a good feel for the Second Doctor, without having to wade through a bunch of missing episodes and audio tracks, "Tomb of the Cybermen" is a really good bet. (For the First Doctor, I would recommend The Aztecs. It's a historical, but a good one, and it really shows every character at their best.)
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I finally got to see what all the fuss over Over The Garden Wall is about. 10/10 would watch again and probably buy the DVD.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • V for Vendetta.

Remember, remember.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Watching my spirit animals (ANIMAAAANIACS!). I've been feeling a bit sick and this is just the perfect distraction.

• Someone posted a gif with Raul Julia in it, and now I'm watching the Addams Family again. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Will watch Kiss of the Spider Woman next.
  • Stratas said:
    Someone posted a gif with Raul Julia in it, and now I'm watching the Addams Family again. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Will watch Kiss of the Spider Woman next.
    Dat me.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm behind the times, but I picked up Arrow on Netflix lately, and it's decent.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Watching season 4 of RuPaul's Drag Race and can only blame @Celina.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Over the past few years, I've been slowly converting my mother, an average 54 year old woman who knows nothing of our ancient ways, into the sacred knowledge of geekdom. At first it was easy. "Hey, you think Robert Downey, Jr. is hot, let's watch Iron Man so you can ogle him." Then, it became a bit more challenging. "Oh, I know you'd totally do Sir Ian McKellan if he wasn't gay, let's watch all the X-Men and all of Lord of the Rings so you can ogle him." But how to convince her to watch a geeky TV show like 2007's Heroes season 1, when there are no actors and actress she knows and wants to ogle?

Fortunately, my years of explaining the plots of comic book arcs I'd only wikipedia'd and never found time to read served me well, and she was sufficiently primed for a descent into pop-culture TV superheroes. What started as "we'll just watch the first episode and if you don't like it we can stop" turned into a weekend long Heroes marathon, filled with insightful commentary like "Mohinder is worse than useless." and "Does Nikki ever STOP whining?" and "There's no way the Cheerleader would wear clothes that ugly." By the time we finished watching this evening, she was lamenting that we'd run out of series to watch, and was debating ordering further seasons. I'm so proud of how far she's come.

Now I just need to determine whether she's ready for Doctor Who.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I'd probably skip the other Heroes seasons. They weren't nearly as good after the first.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    If she wants eye candy, have her watch Arrow on Netflix.
  • I haven't watched Arrow myself yet, but it's on the list. I bought the first three seasons on Black Friday, along with The Flash (and Game of Thrones, but that one's easy. She loves Peter Dinklage).

Still, she banned TV during my childhood due to the bickering antics of my older siblings, so it's kinda fun to have brought her down this dark path.
    Sylandra said:

Update: roommates now hooked on RuPaul also. This is becoming a Thing.
    Daraius said:
  • I have been reading the RuPaul wiki to better understand the Celina mafia thread. Unrelated, some of my hair is now white.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Sylandra said:
    Sylandra said:

Update: roommates now hooked on RuPaul also. This is becoming a Thing.
    You're welcome
  • Finished Jessica Jones!

Hard to watch sometimes, but really good.
  • The Walking Dead
    Game of Thrones
    Fargo
    American Horror Story
    Tokyo Ghoul
    Beelzebub
    Hunter X Hunter
    Orange is the New Black
    Doctor Who
    Agents of Shield

I am so far behind on all of these that there seems to be no end in sight. I don't watch them in any particular order, and I'm incapable of downing an entire season in one sitting, so I try to make a little progress here and there when the mood to watch something hits. I finished The Bastard Executioner season 1 recently, though, so I know I can do it!

I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • Technically, this isn't even released yet, but OMG HYPE!

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    After watching his new music videos...

Justin Bieber why have made me a Belieber? WHY? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Siam said:
    After watching his new music videos...

Justin Bieber why have made me a Belieber? WHY? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

Is it too late now to say sorry? Because I know-oh-oh that he let you down.
    Daraius said:
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Finished AHS-4, moving on to SAO and watching Doctor Who (We just finished the Titanic special) with the better half. Plus occasional spurts of watching IAteYourPie play Ace Attorney.
    edited December 2015
    British Baking Shows. New season of Phineas and Ferb. Is good. And a guy on YouTube named Ashen eating random, potentially terrible things. The Chinese delicacies video was excellent.
  • Phineas and Ferb is still a thing?
    New season popped up on Netflix. Having a 4.5 year old and a 1.5 year old, it's a pretty decent kid show to watch. Consistently gets laughs out of me.
    The Tudors, because I am sick and Netflix recommended it to me based on my interest in Reign. Already I am like, "Wow, The Tudors, you are everything Reign wishes it could be." Sorry Mary, you ain't got nothing on Anne Boleyn.
    Daraius said:
  • It's Christmas, and this means it's time for Christmas movies!

Here's my list this year:

Die Hard