Simple Ideas

Comments

• Best idea I've seen regarding that is that it'd show when you TOUCH the nexus.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Just count how much you link? It's pretty simple to write a little widget to do it, or just count manually. Likewise, every time you add power, it's a set amount of power. Just count!
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Enyalida said:

Just count how much you link? It's pretty simple to write a little widget to do it, or just count manually. Likewise, every time you add power, it's a set amount of power. Just count!

Being you can also LINK NEXUS <number> and it will automatically delink you when that number is reached.... don't even have to count for that bit.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Eh, for me, it's mostly for young ones who might not know exactly how much everything's worth, and for those who don't keep track of how much essence is worth, etc. If the information is there (which it is, in the form of POWERLOG SUMMARY), then might as well show it.
  • Saran said:

Could there be some general city/commune priv like...

commune power check
    Allows you to see how much power you've added and drawn from your nexus this weave.

Aides are pretty common but it would be nice to be able to just check on my own.
    Not as helpful, but you can touch the nexus put the essence in and touch it again.

Not a simple idea, but really at some point it would be nice for the power system to be revamped to either let players bank some percentage of their contribution or track it for a year. I'm still convinced that some people get turned off by having to maintain power on a daily basis.

Imagine you're a player who has skills that burn a fair bit of power and you happen to be in an org that only gets 1 power per essence this year. Each day you log on and spend 15 minutes or more getting power for the day. There's a lot of talk about grinding, but what about grinding for power?

I don't know that this is a big problem, but it seems to me that it might contribute to Lusternia burn out. How many days over how many years does someone want to set aside part of their play time to upkeep power?

When I was a Tahtetso, I used very little power. With tarot I can blow though it. Glamours can burn a lot of power even for non-coms.

A simple idea I suppose would be to just remove the power min to draw dross. It isn't going to break the game if players can draw 15% power a weave without having to spending time hunting for essence.
  • I think the "draw dross at any reserves" idea would just make orgs remove the free draw, and limit you to drawing what you put in, which would be rather counter to what your idea is about.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    In theory, a motivated power ministry could take a large donation of power and automatically count it for future overdraws, instead of requireing payment on a day-to-day basis
  • Enyalida said:

In theory, a motivated power ministry could take a large donation of power and automatically count it for future overdraws, instead of requireing payment on a day-to-day basis

They could, but I'd like people to post suggestions if they have them.

Actually another suggestion:

Let people do POWER SUMMARY ALL which goes back and summarizes the last seven weaves.

And another:

TOUCH NEXUS shows POWER SUMMARY.
  • Limit it to your own summary, and I'm definitely on board with that. There might be cases where people might not want other people to peek at their power deposits/withdrawals. Power contests comes to mind.
  • Ssaliss said:

Limit it to your own summary, and I'm definitely on board with that. There might be cases where people might not want other people to peek at their power deposits/withdrawals. Power contests comes to mind.

This is basically what I figured it would be, It just depends on how hard it would be to have the existing command applied in this way.
  • Ssaliss said:

Limit it to your own summary, and I'm definitely on board with that. There might be cases where people might not want other people to peek at their power deposits/withdrawals. Power contests comes to mind.

I see no reason to limit it. If it is a competition then make it more competitive. Currently on average there's at least a dozen people who can see it now.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited February 2015
    It may not really be a simple idea, but I often have ideas for books that I never write, because Lavinya would never publically admit to writing them. So! A way to write books under a pen-name. Maybe you can only register one (at the hall of records?) and can then still earn honour and prestige and culture, just without putting your own name to it, the public will only see the pen-name as the author.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    You can also put a preface in the book that says something like "this work was found in such and such archive and translated" or "this pernicious propaganda was distributed by so and so." You can kind of absolve your character of responsibility for the content, or even add IC commentary on the stuff she would disagree with.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I'm just going to list the various excuses I've used/considered using for this, although I would also like that feature. More than one pen name, please, so I can use it to attribute things to various historical figures.

-Translation. It is library canon that old Hallifax used archaic lucidian as a literary and scholarly language, that merian served the same role in most of the rest of the Empire, and that the vassal packs used loboshigaru internally. This is so I can produce "primary" sources for historical things and explain my authorship as being translator. This is great for history, where you can translate even heretical things because they're of historical interest.

-Assembly from fragments. Similar usefulness to translation, just a different flavor. I use this extensively for "historical" poetry.

-Posthumous. You just did the editing and maybe the last bit of writing for someone who died and thus can't publish it. This one is limited, because why would you do even that for something contrary to character? But you can stretch things a little this way.

-Debt. You were in an indentured servant auction or whatever and owe this book to someone. The contents are not exclusively your fault.

-Org book. If all else fails, you can write it in an organization book instead of an individual one and it won't have your name on it. May or may not be able to get paid by your city if you do it this way, ask @Kalnid's policy first if you care. To the best of my knowledge, no family honor for these. You'd have to be a library aide to be able to write in org books as well, if I recall correctly. But if you want fully anonymous, this is how you have to do it right now.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Let me put power in another org's nexus
    The playa you love to hate
  • Portius has the main of it. To publish something and say you didn't write it, claim it as document recovery(reminder to not publish actual denizen-written works, that's not allowed) or translation. Kalnid would be tetchy about publishing something as an orgbook that wasn't prepared by either a ministry or the Iron Council(law updates and the MagLitRev being the primary examples), and you wouldn't get family honor or prestige for that anyway. You would get org payment though. I mostly don't like the idea of pen names because it means I couldn't go strike up conversations with the author of whatever work. I guess there's also the option of having someone disposable in your family publish it.
  • Kalnid said:

Portius has the main of it. To publish something and say you didn't write it, claim it as document recovery(reminder to not publish actual denizen-written works, that's not allowed) or translation. Kalnid would be tetchy about publishing something as an orgbook that wasn't prepared by either a ministry or the Iron Council(law updates and the MagLitRev being the primary examples), and you wouldn't get family honor or prestige for that anyway. You would get org payment though. I mostly don't like the idea of pen names because it means I couldn't go strike up conversations with the author of whatever work. I guess there's also the option of having someone disposable in your family publish it.

As an aside, I love the idea of a Magnagoran noble house (or a Hallifaxian, come to think) having a family member associated with the House being used as the pseudonym for the entire House's unpopular works. Like, the idea that EVERYONE in the family goes to that person and says "We know your real work is trash. Publish this, at least it will make you look like you have a brain in your skull, even if it is utter drivel. And rest assured if anyone outside the family ever finds out who really wrote it, they won't find your corpse." etc.

In Hallifax, the conversation would be more akin to "We are concerned that you are detrimentally affecting the House. Please publish this work, it will make you look better and will not be difficult to refute should the need arise. It is more important that it be published than that it is associated with me."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    When I'm thinking of books I'd like to write that Lavinya wouldn't put her name to, I'm thinking trashy romance, mushy poetry and gossip rags. -She- would still be the author, just hiding behind anonymity, because how unseemly to write smut and own it, gasp. Certainly not going to write and organisational book of romantic poetry, either! Or use any of those excuses, great as they are. I never even considered a pen-name for anything marginally serious.

• You can also do an org-book for a clan.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited February 2015
    I know @Ssaliss has mentioned this somewhere, but I'd really like to be able to see the details of an artisan package - preferably by READing, as with sorcelglass scrolls. It's hard to drop tens of thousands of gold on things when you can't get an idea of what you're paying for.

Also: Why, WHY can't we put hammocks indoors? Or benches, for that matter. Silliness.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • While we're on the subject of org books, how about we make it so Commune leader and council members get to write in org books. You know, the people -running the organisation-. It is so silly that they cannot write in org books.

Vent made an org book and Tanin could not write in it. What. Only librarians and aides?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Guild Archivists.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2015
    Would love to have numbers for modifiers in Strategems, so, for instance, SM ADD 10 FOLD 9919 will fold 10 howling wolf origamis and then clear itself.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    DESIGNS ACCEPTED

Show all accepted designs with your name on them, as well as the cartels they might be in. No matter what trade you have.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited February 2015
    Could privs be grouped and possibly broken into subset pages? Like instead of:

Invasion
       - You may summon forth an invasion of the area at a war shrine of your Order.
    Wrath
       - You may call divine wrath across the area at a war shrine of your Order.
    Vendetta
       - You may call a vendetta against enemies of the Order at a war shrine.
    Distort
       - You may summon forth an aura of distortion across the area at a war shrine of your Order.
    Lifeforce
       - You may spread a powerful lifeforce across the area at a healing shrine of your Order.
    Replenish
       - You may replenish the Order and its allies across the area at a healing shrine of your Order.
    Gravity
       - You may summon forth an aura of unnatural gravity around yourself at a war shrine of your Order.
    Heal
       - You may summon forth a healing aura around yourself at a healing shrine of your Order.
    Cure
       - You may summon forth a curing aura around yourself at a healing shrine of your Order.
       To use: PRAY FOR CURE
    Allcure
       - You may cure the Order and its allies across the area at a healing shrine of your Order.
    Armour
       - You may summon forth a divine aura of armour across the area at a shield shrine of your Order.
    Pacification
       - You may summon forth a divine aura of pacification across the area at a shield shrine of your Order.
    Protection
       - You may summon forth a divine aura of protection around yourself at a shield shrine of your Order.
    Celerity
       - You may summon forth a divine aura of celerity around yourself at a shield shrine of your Order.
    Herald
       - You may summon forth a spirit herald to watch over the area of a shield shrine of your Order.

You would see:

- lots of privs -
    Baptise
       - You may baptise someone and bring them into the outer circle of your Order. BAPTISE <person>
    [ Shrine Powers ]
    Invasion Shrine - See ORDER PRIVS INVASION
    War Shrine - See ORDER PRIVS WAR
    Shield Shrine - See ORDER PRIVS SHIELD
    Healing Shrine - See ORDER PRIVS HEALING

> ORDER PRIVS WAR
    Wrath
       - You may call divine wrath across the area at a war shrine of your Order.
    Vendetta
       - You may call a vendetta against enemies of the Order at a war shrine.
    Distort
       - You may summon forth an aura of distortion across the area at a war shrine of your Order.
    Gravity
       - You may summon forth an aura of unnatural gravity around yourself at a war shrine of your Order.

etc etc. The same could theoretically be done for city/commune and guild privs, grouping them by rank, or by appointed positions.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Could channels be added to the list of things that don't break gateweaving and the like please?

Really frustrating not being able to talk
  • Has anyone ever thought of making a plane where there's "standardized PvP"? Maybe I've suggested this before, but a plane where artifacts don't work and everyone has the same level would be cool to me.  I also don't recall much of a difference between the elemental and cosmic planes in terms of mechanics, from the PvP perspective elemental always seemed like a less interesting version of cosmic to me.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Saran said:

Could channels be added to the list of things that don't break gateweaving and the like please?

Tells and says work currently, but I'm not sure about clans or ct
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Tremula said:

Saran said:

Could channels be added to the list of things that don't break gateweaving and the like please?

Tells and says work currently, but I'm not sure about clans or ct
    They don't ran into it today while weaving :'(