Simple Ideas

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Welcome to the four things of everything but glom. 
  • Maligorn said:

An argument for the Master Crystals is even worse. They give literally zero advice and have amazing names that ultimately mean nothing because no Researcher has written about the "Beryl Sphere of Vindicated Convergence" or the "Onyx Sphere of Quantized Equilibrium" or the "Amethyst Sphere of Transcendental Originations".

This is wrong. Ask your local librarian about Metaphysics.
  • You're telling me there's an IRL link to all these seemingly arbitrary and fancy names? We didn't transcendentally originate from purple rock did we?!

Or are they terms used in science(tm)?

• Neither. But a Researcher has written about philosophies specific to each sphere.
  • Look <TATTOOS> on another person.

is dead like the dodo
  • edited February 2015
    Xeria said:

Look <TATTOOS> on another person.

This is already a thing.

TATTOOS SHOW <person> will show you a list of their tattoos
    and
    EXAMINE <person> TATTOOS <numb>

Of course, you need either the skill in discernment and the tattoo needs to be visiable or you need the artifact (Edit: The artifact grants the discernment skill if you don't have it, as well as allows you to see all the tattoos on a person, regardless of being visiable)
  • edited February 2015
    Arel said:

Maligorn said:

EDIT 2: And I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with me about Tyilee, especially current Aeromancers. We could even have an event changing our policy about them...ohohohooo.

Why? Hallifax got handed a unique situation where instead of "Oh four mobs (that are easy to kill) guide us with their two lines of wisdom." they got different lore that isn't the same generic stuff other orgs get. I'd rather see dolls of the random spheres with cool sounding names than Wind Lords.
    Yeah, the interaction of the Aeromancers with the Air Lords is one of the more interesting takes to me. If the dream sands were around in the days of the empire, I could totally see an argument that the ONLY reason that they still haven't been... re-purposed is because they are actually providing the collective with additional power and as such are serving it.

That being said I would be totally and one-hundred percent way more interested if they were actually replaced with constructs that provided their function and then used in other ways, because I feel that if Hallifax could do that, then they would, because it would be a more efficient allocation of the resources of the collective.

but of course, that could require reworking the dream sands mechanic a little bit.
  • Eritheyl said:

What would they say? None of them really have...personalities...as far as I know. At least, definitely not those for Fire and Air.

Can't say about the Air lords, but the Fire Lords have particularly dramatic personalities all set up, even though they don't normally talk.
  • Elemental Lords have always been an underdeveloped concept, not the fault of anyone. The concept of specific personalities, teachings, and relative core importance, were given to cosmic lords, such as the Supernals, whom representated the basic fundamentals of faith in their organizations. Mage have never been about faith, they are about the magic and science in the elemental force. The elemental lords cant be supernals 2.0, they are basically just an interesting and unexpected side-effect that occurred on each Mage's element. Could they be further developed? Perhaps, but I dont see how it would work.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Arcanis said:

Elemental Lords have always been an underdeveloped concept, not the fault of anyone. The concept of specific personalities, teachings, and relative core importance, were given to cosmic lords, such as the Supernals, whom representated the basic fundamentals of faith in their organizations. Mage have never been about faith, they are about the magic and science in the elemental force. The elemental lords cant be supernals 2.0, they are basically just an interesting and unexpected side-effect that occurred on each Mage's element. Could they be further developed? Perhaps, but I dont see how it would work.

Considering half of the orgs with Elemental and Cosmic entities don't have any sort of faith based around either, there are prrrobably more than just a few ways it could work, tbh.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Yeah. The Lords could easily take various non-faith positions. Just look at the Glom aspects.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Arcanis said:

The concept of specific personalities, teachings, and relative core importance

This is all that's needed. Nothing more about faith. I wish they were more fleshed out and there was more overall lore behind them and the mage/druid guilds, which is something I've been pushing for for years now. I wish they were stronger and not just something that basically anyone can just run in and kick to death.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • When I was a Geo, I swatted at people that looked at the Earth Lords as things to be worshiped or revered. That's Nihilistic bullshit with their Demon Lords, and we were much smarter than to do something like -worship-. They were things to be studied and learned from, especially Klaymech, who is a walking testament to the degenerative effects of Water, etc etc forumrp...

This was way back when, before Mag started treating DLs as more of a tool than actually worshiping them.

• Well, nothing says we'd need to start worshipping them. It'd be more along the lines of some people saying "Yeah, that guy has some good ideas, so I'll study that bit for a while".
  • Ssaliss said:

Yeah. The Lords could easily take various non-faith positions. Just look at the Glom aspects.

I always felt the Glom aspects, even communes in general, took up more of the faith role, with them defining aspects of the commune. The Avatars however, seemed more of Guardians and liasons to their spiritual great spirit.
  • Like I said, the impression I get from certain interactions is that the Tide Lords themselves are somewhat mutable, and made up of imprints of this and that tangentially related to their raison d'etre. For instance Sarye is composed of the impressions of those slain in icy waters, or (I think) Skerriagh has imprints from hundreds of Sea Captains, Naval commanders, and leaders of nautically inclined communities like Old Celest, Vesucia, etc. 
  • Arcanis said:

Ssaliss said:

Yeah. The Lords could easily take various non-faith positions. Just look at the Glom aspects.

I always felt the Glom aspects, even communes in general, took up more of the faith role, with them defining aspects of the commune. The Avatars however, seemed more of Guardians and liasons to their spiritual great spirit.
    I've always seen them as carrying philosophies, rather than anything to do with faith. For instance, False Memory. I know I don't pray to either of them, but I still follow their philosophies to some degree.
  • Aquas and Crow aspects are definitely the most fleshed out. When I first heard about Sarye, I was seriously captivated (and still am) by that lore. It makes me shudder a little bit, to be an imprint of all those lost at sea, the terror and grief and bitterness etc.

• Maligorn said:

Aquas and Crow aspects are definitely the most fleshed out. When I first heard about Sarye, I was seriously captivated (and still am) by that lore. It makes me shudder a little bit, to be an imprint of all those lost at sea, the terror and grief and bitterness etc.

There is some lore and interaction for the Earth lords, but it is more to do with how one should perceive and interact with them in rites if anything. Nothing too special.
    The Crow aspects are great, yeah. 

I know that the stuff I'm pushing for Hart and his Aspects is very much not-worship flavored. It feels very wrong to me to have the Hartstone worshiping a figurehead, in the same way I imagine it must feel wrong for an Aeromancer, if for different reasons.
  • I feel like this should be split into its own discussion at this point, as we're a bit afield of the 'simple ideas' theme.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited February 2015
    DINGBATS FOR SALE

/thread
  • Arcanis said:

Ssaliss said:

The Hart aspects are a bit weird, the bits that we've seen of them are that they are effectively different experiences within life.

Fawn reflecting the younger times, beginnings and all of that. Doe represents the feminine experience giving life and the like (yes, ew binary in our aspects), Buck and Stag tend to switch around, I think I place Buck as the (stereotyped) masculine experience, while Stag I suppose fills more of the Elder role in my mind and gender is irrelevant.

They are at all times, memories of the past, aspects of the present, and dreams of the future.

I really wish we could replace them though just because the fit always feels kinda awkward, especially with the gender divisions. :/
  • edited February 2015
    Saran said:

Arcanis said:

Ssaliss said:

The Hart aspects are a bit weird, the bits that we've seen of them are that they are effectively different experiences within life.

Fawn reflecting the younger times, beginnings and all of that. Doe represents the feminine experience giving life and the like (yes, ew binary in our aspects), Buck and Stag tend to switch around, I think I place Buck as the (stereotyped) masculine experience, while Stag I suppose fills more of the Elder role in my mind and gender is irrelevant.

They are at all times, memories of the past, aspects of the present, and dreams of the future.

I really wish we could replace them though just because the fit always feels kinda awkward, especially with the gender divisions. :/
    People often forget that the Stag or any variant is also of Pagan/Druid and Wiccan descent. See here, for a brief article from not a fairly reliable source, but it gets the picture across. The gender stereotyping is in fact, due to the archaic folds of what Serenwilde culture is based off of, but not how the commune members interpreted it or at least attempted to interpret it. There is a Celtic feel to everything, which is prevalent in some of the titles of the Spiritsinger leadership and such. There is all this extra trimmings that, I don't really feel have impact any more when it comes to Hartstone. @Saran, you, brought to my attention the meaning of the stones, but there is no history really behind them other than their meaning during the Taint Wars. The past, present and future, are very shamanistic types of concepts that while could make sense, don't right now really. They are like, in some sense phases of the moon. But why do we need this same concept translated into Druidry?

Moon, in my opinion is clearer to understand when it comes to how Ellindel connects to the Moon Coven. Glinshari, while opposite of Ellindel did not have the same background or character put into him as she did, with the Twin Springs, the Dell and so on. I believe it is time that the Hartstone revive and alter things to fit what Serenwilde should be as a whole, not what Serenwilde was. Which, was, in fact, a place that did not take very good care with their cultural preservation. In fact, most of the stories I have heard have been orally presented -still- in this era. And Hallifax keeps such good records in comparison, and they got lost to time! This is a problem I hope @Dakhamunzu and I can eradicate by creating some good habits, and building our cultural centre up, she's been great lately at being a good sport about me telling her about what I see to be some issues.

In the end, I think that the Aspects of the Hart need to return to become one with the Hart, because it would embody the entire symbolic, arcane definition of the Spirit. You wouldn't have to section out everything just because Moon has Her avatars separated. She was the one who got a Bubble! There is more space for development, which I am, was, going to be working on thanks to @Selenity and @Enyalida for their research and thoughts. Hart has room to grow, either inward or outward it's kind of hard to tell yet. I'm waiting to see what the response is from the Fates about our current situation. I hope that with time, we can send Serenwilde into a direction where everyone likes, knows and cares about where it is going. :)

Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I want CULTCONFIG RANKS to be a thing. Having to change a rank just to see the list is bleeeh.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • http://www.druidry.org/library/animals/stags-and-deer seems like a more in-depth look though it's still ooc stuff.

There's always this weird thing where people try to bring rp into guilds because "that's what the rl lore is". As I've said before I have issues that the rp type stuff like the stones is absent from our skills and that the rp seems to vary between looking at the ic concepts and ooc concepts resulting in this constantly shifting concept of "who we are"

As an example I've been meaning to talk to someone about it, but the rite of cleansing that the Hartstone has is kinda weird to me because I don't really feel a hartstone vibe from it. The ritual is interesting in its own way but I'm curious as to why it's the way that the hartstone would do this and I suppose with some minor adjustments it seems like something that could easily be shifted to Celest.
    The ritual of inception is similarly interesting and more "druidy" but I guess the question is still "What makes this related to the Hartstone?". 

Some of this is literally just the need to link these concepts back to things (Like the bond of the Hartstone not ending in death being the transition from present stone to past stone), others are moving away from the generic and writing it again. Like, some form of ritual hunting for the cleansing. It moves from a kinda general ritual to something linked into the concepts of the White Hart, and then things such as the sacrifice of the prey so that the hunter grows stronger and in turn the forest that they prey was from grows stronger. All the fun weird interconnections stuff

edited February 2015
    The current rituals are reskins of ones that I wrote, that don't really catch the essence of the original (and are divorced from their meaning). For instance, there was a GHELP CLEANSING explaining what the Rite of Cleansing was for, and what it meant to the practice of Druidry - it wasn't as self-introspective and generic. The GHELP got deleted when the rite was rewritten.

This is the wrong thread for this discussion, though.

EDIT: Inception is nothing like mine, which referenced the cycles of time in a direct fashion, and was rather dark and mystical. Its big flaw was that it was long, and needed cutting, but not that much!
  • I always had the thought that a cleansing ritual for Hartstone would be much more about spiritual cleansing than physical, and consist of both meditative sessions with lots of smoke and incense to clear the heart and mind, and hunting sessions complete with facepaints to cleanse the spirit of malice and weakness.
    It is/was about spiritual cleansing, but it was intended to be a short thing, to be done before all other rituals, rites, or important work. The first iteration (as part of guild advancement) would be necessarily longer, as you were led through the act and taught about its significance.
  • Aerotan said:

I always had the thought that a cleansing ritual for Hartstone would be much more about spiritual cleansing than physical, and consist of both meditative sessions with lots of smoke and incense to clear the heart and mind, and hunting sessions complete with facepaints to cleanse the spirit of malice and weakness.

But it was originally a Celest Rite given to the unwashed heathen. /s