Simple Ideas

Comments

• Has anyone read Garth Nix's the Towers series?

It literally has a caste system based on the rainbow. I love it.

• Portius said:

I love it, and it needs to come straight out of Paranoia for the ranking.

Ultraviolet ink being, of course, invisible.
  • That does beg the question of what the racial analogues are (again) that I posed once-upon-a-time. Like, I recall the general idea that Aslaran are a combination of the sub-Saharan grasland tribes of Africa with a bit of a Native American thrown in for good measure. The Krokani seem to be more Eastern Europe than anything else, the Elfen are so Gaelic it hurts, etc.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Kalnid said:

Portius said:

I love it, and it needs to come straight out of Paranoia for the ranking.

Ultraviolet ink being, of course, invisible.
    Unless you have the proper clearance.
  • edited February 2015
    Aerotan said:

I believe Furrikin are the Japan-equivalent, aren't they? At least I got that impression from Yojimbo and a couple of the other Estelbar-kin. Though I suppose Quettle-senpai could be the China/Korea/Mongolia equivalent.

What I take from this is.

Loboshigaru are Buddhists.
    Furrikin are Shinto.

... and Aslaran are Confucian

And Dracnari are obviously Taoists.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Yeah, if the justification is because of OOC traditions then it doesn't make sense to limit it in-game.

The other option I thought of is that we could make it require a palette rather than a specific tint to stamp, this way you could describe it to be whatever colour you'd like. 

Maybe even with the stamp syntax becoming something like:
    STAMP <document> WITH <STAMP> <COLOURCODE>

So that we could decide what colour the text is when you see it on a document.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Saran said:

Yeah, if the justification is because of OOC traditions then it doesn't make sense to limit it in-game.

The other option I thought of is that we could make it require a palette rather than a specific tint to stamp, this way you could describe it to be whatever colour you'd like. 

Maybe even with the stamp syntax becoming something like:
    STAMP <document> WITH <STAMP> <COLOURCODE>

So that we could decide what colour the text is when you see it on a document.
    The problem with that is many seal text designs already state using the default red ink. Changing this would require 1) everyone that already has a seal to only ever use red, else their seal will look stupid or 2) begging the Charites to change existing designs with this problem. Of course they could just design a new one, but I have a feeling this would lead to things like banning mentions of colour overall in seal text (because you could conceivably use something else).

That's not to say I don't support it - pages back, I pinged @Ieptix to a similar suggestion (though got no response iirc). But to keep it from getting hairy, I think it would work best if the colour were chosen and plugged into the seal design, in a new field (seal_colour, or something). That way, people could pick whatever colour they like for their own seal, mention the colour so long as it matches the code-derived selection, and still use a palette for the comm.

/complicates everything 
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Being able to whistle dirigibles to us please.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Neos said:

Being able to whistle dirigibles to us please.

Pls extend also to dwellers, so I don't have to wait/go and find/pay credits for a reaction for my bro when he gets left behind.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Or just have legacy seals versus new seals. 
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    You only have 140 trains available to train in body.
    You need 150 trains for bodyguard.

Your beast's body, mind and spirit cannot be increased any more.

Can we get a cheaper 5/10 increment version of kikikoru reagents please? I don't need an entire 25 trains and the rest will just go to waste.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Rune of Mind Shield costs 200 credits and reduces psionic burnout and ego shatter only by half. This seems a bit steep to only be doing this, and I feel perhaps the price was placed between it does two effects.

Suggestion:

Split the artifact into two. Rune of Mind Shield for psionic burnout and Rune of Ego Soothing for burnout, both at the price of 100 credits. The same idea is there, but now each one is specific for the goals one is seeking. Im sure non-psionic users dont care much for the rune's second capability that they are paying extra yet will never use.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:

Rune of Mind Shield costs 200 credits and reduces psionic burnout and ego shatter only by half. This seems a bit steep to only be doing this, and I feel perhaps the price was placed between it does two effects.

Suggestion:

Split the artifact into two. Rune of Mind Shield for psionic burnout and Rune of Ego Soothing for burnout, both at the price of 100 credits. The same idea is there, but now each one is specific for the goals one is seeking. Im sure non-psionic users dont care much for the rune's second capability that they are paying extra yet will never use.

And then there's the golden goblet that restores shattered ego once/month for 250cr. That said, you're assuming too much. Reduced ego shatter time is plenty worth it even for 200cr. I haven't bought one as yet because I have a goblet already and have yet to run into a situation where I need to restore more than once.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Oh man, that rune is super cheap for the deliciousness it brings. Last Rikenfriez revolt my internet coughed up a hairball and I got shattered. It felt like no time at all before I was unshattered and already ready to start my warbling trill marauding.

Just my opinion though.

• Elanorwen said:

Arcanis said:

Rune of Mind Shield costs 200 credits and reduces psionic burnout and ego shatter only by half. This seems a bit steep to only be doing this, and I feel perhaps the price was placed between it does two effects.

Suggestion:

And then there's the golden goblet that restores shattered ego once/month for 250cr. That said, you're assuming too much. Reduced ego shatter time is plenty worth it even for 200cr. I haven't bought one as yet because I have a goblet already and have yet to run into a situation where I need to restore more than once.

Swing and a miss again, Elanorwen. Golden goblet completely removes a status effect that doesnt allow you to compete in debating/influencing until a 10 min timer, thus being more than worthy of its price. My issue was the price of rune of mind shield being calculated for both shattered ego timer and psionic burnout timer and, rather than completely removing the effect, cutting it in half. That still leaves psionic burnout with quite the timer, as well as still losing your essence for said burnout. Again, I wouldnt see why people seeking only to have a smaller shattered ego timer, have to pay extra for something they may never use. I honestly do not know why these two status effects were merged into one artie. I'd rather see it split in two.
  • For any village revolt/influencing session where you are shattered more than twice in a single session (meaning the rune has saved you 15 minutes total) the 200cr rune's effect is going to be worth more than the 250cr goblet's effect. To argue that just because one mitigates while the other cures means they are too dissimilar to gauge value against one another is, frankly, asinine. 
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I have the rune to halve ego burnout and not the goblet because as others stated, in a lengthy peaced revolt, chances are you will be shattered more than once, making the goblet less useful than halving your time before you're back in action, over and over. If anything I'd imagine the goblet is more helpful for psionic burnout, unless you tend to have that happen more than once a month?

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    As someone who has both the goblet and mind shield, mind shield >>>>> goblet. Both is nice, but if you can only get one, the choice is easy.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Lavinya said:

I have the rune to halve ego burnout and not the goblet because as others stated, in a lengthy peaced revolt, chances are you will be shattered more than once, making the goblet less useful than halving your time before you're back in action, over and over. If anything I'd imagine the goblet is more helpful for psionic burnout, unless you tend to have that happen more than once a month?

Except the goblet does nothing for psionics. Yes, I'll agree that the rune is better... and I'd buy it if I cared enough or if I get shattered twice in a revolt, which really hasn't happened yet. Other than that, eh.... I got the goblet out of a present, so no biggie either way.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited February 2015
    Vivet said:

As someone who has both the goblet and mind shield, mind shield >>>>> goblet. Both is nice, but if you can only get one, the choice is easy.

Right, but im not dismissing the usefulness of the goblet or reduced shattered ego, im stating that two effects are in one artifact, with both these effects having no relation to the other.

By simply splitting them in two, we'd retain the core price value, with the sum being 200 credits, while at the same time giving an option of which to pick. Frankly, I dont care much for shattered ego, but I would like the psionic burnout reduction. I dont see why we should have to pay for both.
  • Arcanis said:

By simply splitting them in two, we'd retain the core price value, with the sum being 200 credits, while at the same time giving an option of which to pick. Frankly, I dont care much for shattered ego, but I would like the psionic burnout reduction. I dont see why we should have to pay for both.

I cannot see an artifact that halves ego burnout being sold for less than 200cr when you compare that utility and price to the rest of the artifacts available in Lusternia.  Remember that 100cr is mostly backpack territory on artifacts, and this artifact is providing a powerful useful effect.  I would guess, based on the price, that it  was priced for the value of halving shattered ego
    recovery, with the psionic burnout being tacked on for free.  At 200cr, you're basically looking at the buy-one-get-one-free price already since it would be hard to defend either of these effects being worth less than, say, the Belt of Klangratch at 175 credits.
  • edited February 2015
    Zitto said:

Arcanis said:

I cannot see an artifact that halves ego burnout being sold for less than 200cr when you compare that utility and price to the rest of the artifacts available in Lusternia.  Remember that 100cr is mostly backpack territory on artifacts, and this artifact is providing a powerful useful effect.  I would guess, based on the price, that it  was priced for the value of halving shattered ego
    recovery, with the psionic burnout being tacked on for free.  At 200cr, you're basically looking at the buy-one-get-one-free price already since it would be hard to defend either of these effects being worth less than, say, the Belt of Klangratch at 175 credits.

Hmm, you have a point there.

Edit: Although, im wondering, could we perhaps make it that the goblet will cure psionic burnout as well as shattered ego once per day? I'd much rather have that than reduced time.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    please gawd yes
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Just going to repeat myself from the Tweets thread, bring back END JOURNEY for alters. Please. I am so sick of gnomes and finks.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Talan said:

- help aviator
    No match found for "aviator", trying a search...
    Search results for "aviator":
      1) File:  dingbatsgargle          
         Title: PROFESSOR GARGLE VON FIXIT'S WARES
         ...25 dingbats)   - Use JETPACK to fly into the sky for 15 minutes.
         - Usable once per day.  o AVIATOR Goggles (350 dingbats)   -
         Detect anything flyin...

-help dingbatsgargle
    No match found for "dingbatsgargle", trying a search...
    Search results for "dingbatsgargle":
       No matches found.

-help professor gargle von fixit's wares
    No match found for "professor gargle von fixit's wares", trying a search...
    Search results for "professor gargle von fixit's wares":

Simple idea: Make the search function of 'help' return the exact file names that people need to type to get the file. Either accept the nospaces version, or print only the correctly spaced version. This is super frustrating when you're trying to find info in any multi-word helpfile.

HELP DINGBATS GARGLE
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Yeah, but failing forums posting and then getting a response 62 minutes later every time, maybe we could just change it.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • I feel like hallifax is japanese.

Especially the cuisine. Ordered perfection.
    is dead like the dodo
  • It would be nice to be able to specify whether or not you want to buy from the shoprift or from the shop floor. For instance, I've got purity dust stored in my shop rift as well as groups of it on the shop floor, and I have seen in the logs that people sometimes buy one from the shop rift only to then buy a group or four. It may be a niche thing, but it'd be nice to have.

And yes, I know all about buying by numbers, but it'd be simpler to be able to BUY <number> <stuff> FROM RIFT/STOCK or something.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Can it be changed so that SNUB will effect all the characters bound to someone's registry without revealing who it is? For example, if I have Kelly snubbed (I hate you so much, stay away fish-breath [<3]), she can't just hop over to a different character and grief me from there. Of course, it would have to be set so that way you can't just check your SNUBS and see who's who in Lusternia, but it would prevent you from interacting with someone you really don't want to, and keeps them from trying to start again on someone they have no business doing so with.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."