Simple Ideas

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Lerad said:
    I don't see what's OOC about it. It's only OOC because it's repetitive. A real markov-bot generated set of gibberish would be perfectly IC, but if the admin don't want to implement that, and just came up with a set of pre-written sentences randomly generated, I really don't see the problem.

There is literally zero OOC references in all the insanity tells.
    I honestly do not understand the love for Insanity. The messages aren't immersive - they are about ducks, booty shaking, and other IRE games Like Sylvestri - and they are frankly kinda rude to those of use with mental issues. I wish things were a nice generic emote with a command knock.
  • Veyils said:
    Doing stupid emotes isn't ooc. It's like a physical tick your literally insane and unable to control yourself. 

Love or hate insanity it's all perfectly IC.

S to your other complaints I feel that. There does feel like some favouritism given to some established individuals or guilds at the expense of the whole.
    In fairness, the favoritism is often more that some players become known for being able to follow through and I can see why the admin will on occasion maybe hand it off to the player of least resistance. That said, in my experience a lot of this is they get there first or start to act first (not first as in from the setup...but often first at the main event). Often times the final events are pretty much races and some players are going to be faster than others.
  • edited January 2017
    Kagato said:
    An idea for the Chancellors of Cities and Communes...

Perhaps a command for the Chancellor that lets them look at a shops wares in their home city or commune (could be a command like CITY LEDGER Celest_shop1 for example to display all the current wares that shop is stocking, without needing to be IN the shop. 

(Disclaimer: I actually don't mind the role - I just thought it might be a way of making things more streamlined for auditing)
    Why not add it as a feature to the Directory? DIRECTORY 
    to lists the shop names and DIRECTORY WARES <shop name> to list it's wares?
  • edited January 2017
    Breandryn said:
    Lerad said:
    I don't see what's OOC about it. It's only OOC because it's repetitive. A real markov-bot generated set of gibberish would be perfectly IC, but if the admin don't want to implement that, and just came up with a set of pre-written sentences randomly generated, I really don't see the problem.

There is literally zero OOC references in all the insanity tells.
    I honestly do not understand the love for Insanity. The messages aren't immersive - they are about ducks, booty shaking, and other IRE games Like Sylvestri - and they are frankly kinda rude to those of use with mental issues. I wish things were a nice generic emote with a command knock.
    As somebody with mental issues, I'm not taking it personally that an entirely IC mechanic that has nothing to do with planet earth is being used to make people do odd things. Equally, I would hope that nobody with a physical disability gets upset over mangledlimbs stopping their character from running around the map or wielding stuff.

I'm... just not sure what's going on here any more.

ETA: I think we're firmly out of the realms of 'Simple Ideas' at this stage.
  • I don't spend a lot of my game time insane. But I've not seen a reference to "Sylvestri". I've also played other IREs, and I've never found a reference to other IREs either. If there truly are, asking for those to be changed is definitely reasonable.

As for ducks and booty-shaking... they can be offensive from a feminist point of view (the booty-shaking, at least), and some emotes aren't... very well written. But emotes in the game are, in general, physical actions that are well within the realms of possibility. These are not impossible actions for a character to do - it's not really immersion breaking for a character to do those actions when they are insane - or at least "insane" as the game defines it. Which leads me to your next point.

I know there is a need to have a minimum level of cultural sensitivity in an international game. But I don't think Lusternia's definition and depiction of "insanity" is meant to demean or make light of people with mental issues in the real world. It's still a valid complaint, if you feel that the way insanity is depicted, and treated, in the game world is making an inappropriate statement or implication about mental issues, and I'm sure Estarra will be more than happy to consider changing problematic parts. But I'm not sure that the depiction of insanity as just being an occasional stutter of action (command block) is a significant improvement from the current status quo. 

I mean, if we want to really represent insanity in all of its individualized aspects, and acknowledge the very real problems that people who suffer from mental issues have to face on a daily basis, then just cleanly sweeping the representation into the straightforward "inconvenience" of command blocks and as a "speed-bump" to bashing and game activity, isn't much of an improvement over the silliness currently imposed by random emotes and pre-written tells.

"Insanity" as defined in this game is not a true, or even a thoughtful, representation of mental issues in the real world. And I do firmly agree that it's not this game's place to be making light of, or depicting mental issues in the real world as a triviality. However, I don't think it's constructive for the game to go to the extent of a full representation of the mental issues faced by people who struggle with it every day as part of their lives. It's probably not even possible to do that in a meaningful way in a game. We should strive to be inclusive - not to avoid offending people for the sake of being "politcally correct", but to respect the boundaries of what the game should and should not be saying about mental issues, when it is being represented as a concept in the game.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited January 2017
    The Astral Plane is Kethuru's prison. Gazing upon his incomprehensible form pretty much breaks everyone. Nobody's resolve can withstand being near him for too long, even when he's locked up. This is the big bad, this is something that could snuff out even someone terribly powerful; all the Elders, even ones like Zvoltz and Mysrai are totally at his mercy, if he broke free. I think that astral insanity is actually pretty tame compared to what it could be, conceivably.

EDIT: But, again, realistically, astral insanity is to stop people from farming an intensely experience-lucrative area nonstop, working in a way that has command denial and eventually difficulties curing yourself while also suffering periodic damage. At least there's some flavour attached to it, however silly. It comes back to your willing suspension of disbelief.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I'm schizophrenic and have absolutely never been offended by astral insanity. Just because I get actual, real life hallucinations doesn't mean RP hallucinations fill me with despair/outrage/whatever. It's just a silly, mild inconvenience in a game. I'm not trying to say you can't take offense to it, because that's not within my control or any of my business, but I don't like when people speak for me, and make an assertion that people like me are taking offense to something that doesn't bother me at all.
  • Insanity, at least IC, tends to be people talking about computers and the like. That's literally the IC reference to insanity. I have no problem with astrally insane stuff breaking the OOC barrier.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • edited January 2017
    afaik, the distinction in Lusty is that Insanity refers to Astral and similar effects. Madness refers to OOC talk. (to be clear, I'm basing this on HELP MADNESS, and HELP INSANITY)
  • Moving away from the current topic of what is allowed to trigger you and what isn't

Can OBLIVIOUSNESS ON gag aetherspace spam? Please? Like pretty please?
    The playa you love to hate
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Riluna said:
    Insanity, at least IC, tends to be people talking about computers and the like. That's literally the IC reference to insanity. I have no problem with astrally insane stuff breaking the OOC barrier.

Versalean said:
    afaik, the distinction in Lusty is that Insanity refers to Astral and similar effects. Madness refers to OOC talk. (to be clear, I'm basing this on HELP MADNESS, and HELP INSANITY)
    Once upon a time they were the same thing.

The administration decided to give OOC-stuff a different name a few years back so that we could actually differentiate between the two.  It's why a lot of us older folk still refer to it as insanity, because that's what it was for a long time.  But madness is the appropriate term for it now!
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Steingrim said:
    Kagato said:
    An idea for the Chancellors of Cities and Communes...

Perhaps a command for the Chancellor that lets them look at a shops wares in their home city or commune (could be a command like CITY LEDGER Celest_shop1 for example to display all the current wares that shop is stocking, without needing to be IN the shop. 

(Disclaimer: I actually don't mind the role - I just thought it might be a way of making things more streamlined for auditing)
    Why not add it as a feature to the Directory? DIRECTORY 
    to lists the shop names and DIRECTORY WARES <shop name> to list it's wares?
    I'm all for QoL improvements, so sure. I will say that checking WARES in individual shops isn't particularly hard to do, though.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I can actually get behind that, it'd also cut down on the number of "I log in but never leave the manse" misses that happen.
  • Could goop items be searchable by org theme? 

I'm lazy and just want to browse a list of Seren themed stuff :P
  • Saran said:
    Could goop items be searchable by org theme? 

Goop does seem to warrant some type of sorting (and again another request for filtering when using ARTIFACTS) if done can we at least add a GOOP SKINS or GOOP RESKINS?
  • Add wounds into the arena diag thing so you can see what wounds people have when fighting.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Steingrim said:
    Saran said:

Goop does seem to warrant some type of sorting (and again another request for filtering when using ARTIFACTS) if done can we at least add a GOOP SKINS or GOOP RESKINS?
    Last I checked you can search artifacts by using ARTIFACTS <name>, e. g. using ARTIFACTS RUNE yields anything called 'rune' to me.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Aeldra said:
    Steingrim said:
    Saran said:

Last I checked you can search artifacts by using ARTIFACTS <name>, e. g. using ARTIFACTS RUNE yields anything called 'rune' to me.
    Sure, but you then need to guess throw in multiple keywords trying to guess what they might be and may miss one.
  • Not related to anything really, but it'd be cool to be able to use some emoticons in aethertells

ct By Lisaera, shut up. :D 

would give

(Serenwilde): Laughing, Saran says, "By Lisaera, shut up."

Another way might be like

ct (laugh) message

The emote could be limited more like the various ways to say (like sing, intone, chant, etc).

Would ideally prevent misunderstandings over aethers, like when people apply tones or emotions to something being said when the writer hasn't intended them.
  • edited January 2017
    Achaea has a thing like that, it's pretty nice. Especially for the newbies who don't realise emoticons aren't allowed over public aethers like that.

gt Hello everyone. :)
    (Aeromancers): Reylari happily says, "Hello everyone."

ct Air lords are under attack... :/
    (Hallifax): Reylari sceptically says, "Air lords are under attack..."

:( = Sadly, :| = Hesitantly, :S = Confusedly, :D = Laughingly, :P = Jokingly... Fairly sure there's a couple more, too tired to recall though. Iirc they don't work on market/shouts/yells though, which is fair.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
    While you're at it, include other throttles (like the essence throttle).  Goop is a hard throttle (have you hit 50 y/n) whereas gold and essence are soft (the throttle ramps up the higher you get) and it would be nice to see these numbers.
  • Veyils said:
    A way to check if you've hit any of the caps or throttles, like have I hit the gold/goop cap today?
    I try to keep new gold in my hands and old gold in my pack, but often end up forgetting and mixing them up. This information would definitely be appreciated.

Even one step further, why not just give us the info on exactly what's happening to our gold drops at any time (i.e. the likelihood that drop is decreased on the next kill, or whatever). This seems to be an OOC mechanic, so I don't see the harm in passing the information along.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    "Essence throttle" just gave me an idea.

Rather have the godawful diminishing returns where everything is worth bugger all, when you acquire so much essence, why not have a cap on how much you can gain per RL day after you hit 70 million, that sliding scale decreases as you go further up till you can't get more than so much per day (say at the top end you're capped at a gain of 500k a day)

That way rather than have to bash/influence out x number of hours longer than everyone else for the same result, you get full gains to a certain point, then you get just 1 essence per kill.

As is, once you get to a certain figure now, there's a whole part of the game that feels cut off as you're no longer rewarded for partaking.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• There's a goop cap? What are the ways to even get goop? All I've seen are from other people / genies / promos :S
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • Reylari said:
    There's a goop cap? What are the ways to even get goop? All I've seen are from other people / genies / promos :S
    I've been getting 4-5 goop with each urtrap critter.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Reylari said:
    There's a goop cap? What are the ways to even get goop? All I've seen are from other people / genies / promos :S
    That's how!  Presents / the wheel are not affected by the cap.  Other forms of generation are, and include:
    Cap-affected
    1) Genies
    2) Ur'traps
    3) Rubbing curio pieces
    4) Treasure maps?  I forget if they were converted over to goop.

Non-cap-affected
    5) Wondercornucopia
    6) Presents
    7) Wheel spins
    8) Wakabi racetrack (you can choose to get your reward in either credits or goop)

It's quite possible that I am missing some things in the lists, as well.  Possibly gnewpies?  I don't have any, would need someone like Vivet to answer that.  But this gives a rough framework, at least.

Once you get to 50 goop generated via the cap-affected methodss for the day, every subsequent generation that is cap-affected will only net you 1 goop (so genies might give you 4-5 normally, but once you get to 50 they will only give you 1 per pop).