Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• The tl;dr is "Butthurt everywhere."
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
  • Xenthos said:

I wouldn't feel "sad" that more Glomdoring folk didn't show up, I'd more be glad that any showed up at all.  None of us had much IC reason to attend. :p
    Tau has a lot of (admittedly old) reasons not to attend. Somaria being associated with Fain, and Tau going to great lengths to prove to everyone (nobody cares) that she's nothing like her mother being chief among them
  • Celina said:
    You can write about anything you can justify with RP. Even within Glom there are a variety of perspectives and belief systems that aren't always compatible with one another, but they can all be justified with RP.

For example: Celina believes women are stronger than men. She is the best combatant in Glom. Viravain is the Mother of Glomdoring. Mother Night is stronger than Crow. Whether or not women actually are isn't important, the RP behind it is. 
    Your example, (not to butt into the general tussle here) reminds me very much of how I think about Glomdoring in general, as well as for @Celina (the character's) in game beliefs being similar to the Drizzt Do'Urden books by R.A Salvatore. Which involves, the drow's spider Goddess Lolth combined with their matriarchy of Matrons and houses founded upon the superiority of the female. I've just started the prequels of the original books, and I highly reccommend them to anyone. You'll see a TON of parallels in Lusternian/Drizzt/Lord of the Rings lore, if you read/immerse yourself in them all at once like I do.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • edited May 2015
    Salome said:
    Celina said:
    You can write about anything you can justify with RP. Even within Glom there are a variety of perspectives and belief systems that aren't always compatible with one another, but they can all be justified with RP.

For example: Celina believes women are stronger than men. She is the best combatant in Glom. Viravain is the Mother of Glomdoring. Mother Night is stronger than Crow. Whether or not women actually are isn't important, the RP behind it is. 
    Your example, (not to butt into the general tussle here) reminds me very much of how I think about Glomdoring in general, as well as for @Celina (the character's) in game beliefs being similar to the Drizzt Do'Urden books by R.A Salvatore. Which involves, the drow's spider Goddess Lolth combined with their matriarchy of Matrons and houses founded upon the superiority of the female. I've just started the prequels of the original books, and I highly reccommend them to anyone. You'll see a TON of parallels in Lusternian/Drizzt/Lord of the Rings lore, if you read/immerse yourself in them all at once like I do.
    Really? Celina's comment is the first I've ever heard of any parallel of the FR series in Lusternia or Glomdoring. I guess there's the spider connection, but that seems like a fairly minor point. Dark fae have certainly existed long before FR.

Edit: And Tolkien
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Makaela said:
     But to -invite- people into your org then treat them like crap is just stupid if you honestly expect them to sit there and take it. (This is directed at Glom as well, as I doubt Shaddus has reason to lie about how glom treats mags) 
    @Kethaera will likely seek out some rp with you, but I do not feel a festival dedicated to insulting an entire group is conducive to keeping players on all sides interested in Lusternia.
    Late, but... to your first point, I don't agree that it's necessarily good/better rp to try and convert every misguided enemy that comes along, even if you invited them over to see how great you are. Maybe it results in fewer people joining your org, but the passionate 'we are better than everyone else' rp also tends to result in fewer people -leaving-. I've seen cases in aetolia where people try to be understanding and attempt to convert the 'evil side' and get burned out on it when they discover that it's difficult to sustain niceness(or worse, neutrality) toward people who want to kill you. Even on a less dramatic, more politically minded scale, Nationalism is more appealing and more fun to play to than Diplomacy. Broadly speaking, there's many reasons why someone would choose to play or not play a game, and what one person finds annoying 5 others might enjoy. Or vice-versa.

To the second, nah, that's not terribly likely, because I don't have any strong reason to at the moment. If you were talking about Marcella, I haven't spoken to her in-game in quite some time, cause I'm pretty sure we've gone as far as we can with the insults, spitting at each other, and threats over earrings- At least, from my perspective. But I still like having her around, and roleplaying -about- how much I hate her, which doesn't require any direct conversation with Marcella herself... and it is possible to choose what rp you want, even when you like a particular character. If you meant @Shaddus, I have even less reason to talk to him, but I'm sure I've spoke to an alt or ten.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • edited May 2015
    Xenthos said:

No, that's actually not it.

Glomdoring was, from its very beginning, not considered "tainted" by the players there-- that was the original Viravain's entire concept.  There was, as such, no "change," "beginning of the change," or "wedge issue".  Glomdoring never distanced itself from the Taint because it never felt that it was close in the first place.

Yes and No?

From the onset of Glomdoring beginnings there were two seperate factions within the forest; those that said it was tainted and those that said it was not. When I was GA of the Blacktalon I think it was Kaervas who removed me from Glom and formally declared via news post that Glomdoring was tainted.

Even the guild leaders were divided

Tainted- Daganev, Richter, Syrwhatsit, Arilyon, Ethelon and Chade

Non Tainted - Gwyn, Jasper, Nyla and Bau

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    As a note, many of the "Glom was tainted," faction came from Magnagora. It was less a belief of Glomdoring and more of a belief of Magnagorans in glom disguises. Far more to do with the fainite invasion I mentioned earlier than a true divergence of beliefs.
  • I can't be the first person to notice this...

Regarding the baby in Stewartsville. Upon finding the empty "milk" bottle:
    potionlist
    1344     an empty glass bottle          a love potion                50       *

Hrm, okay...

You give an empty glass bottle to Nell Wainwright, the milkmaid.
    Nell Wainwright, the milkmaid says, "Guess ma wants to feed the baby now."
    Nell Wainwright, the milkmaid fills an empty glass bottle with milk and hands it to you.

"bottle2103"                            a glass bottle filled with milk (filled with the poison haemotox)

potionlist
    2103     a glass bottle filled with mil the poison haemotox          50       *

The baby is doomed :(
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    The question is do you have to have her fill it if you put your own haemotox in?
  • Welp if it is doomed anyways.. Time for another Nai'Dorin!
  • Kethaera said:
    Salome said:
    Celina said:

Really? Celina's comment is the first I've ever heard of any parallel of the FR series in Lusternia or Glomdoring. I guess there's the spider connection, but that seems like a fairly minor point. Dark fae have certainly existed long before FR.

It's not the dark fae reference that really stands out for me. Of course they've existed long before it. I'm talking about female superiority shown in a hierarchy of a house. That really strikes a chord with me. I've just never seen that before other than minorly when GoT has a strong female presence. I actually incorporate this driven sense in most of the characters I play that according to the view of the lore, which Great Spirit speaks the most to my character - That there is this sense of superiority and connection in their presence and identity as a female. Strong female characters with strong urges to achieve their goals has always been a part of how I build someone in the overall RP of an org, if I'm interested.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
    You mean you don't need no man?!  *goes to sob quietly in a corner*
  • Tarkenton said:
    You mean you don't need no man?!  *goes to sob quietly in a corner*
    Hush, you know you're the only one for me. <3

• Maligorn said:
    I wrote my first book for Lusternia. It's not what I wanted my debut to be, but I'm somewhat proud of it.
    You done good, potato. You done good. Did you submit it to your local Lordarian?

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Tarkenton said:

The question is do you have to have her fill it if you put your own haemotox in?

Technically the answer is yes. You'll notice the item number changed, it's an entirely new item.

That skanky milkmaid probably had prefilled bottles waiting for Kalliste.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Annick said:

Glomdoring was, from its very beginning, not considered "tainted" by the players there-- that was the original Viravain's entire concept.  There was, as such, no "change," "beginning of the change," or "wedge issue".  Glomdoring never distanced itself from the Taint because it never felt that it was close in the first place.
    Yes and No? From the onset of Glomdoring beginnings there were two seperate factions within the forest; those that said it was tainted and those that said it was not. When I was GA of the Blacktalon I think it was Kaervas who removed me from Glom and formally declared via news post that Glomdoring was tainted. Even the guild leaders were divided Tainted- Daganev, Richter, Syrwhatsit, Arilyon, Ethelon and Chade Non Tainted - Gwyn, Jasper, Nyla and Bau
    Not at all.  Glomdoring was, from its very beginning, Not Tainted.  Officially.  That was the stance driven by Viravain.  There were those from Magnagora who came to Glomdoring and attempted to make it an issue, but they either shaped up to toe the party line or shipped out.  That's not a divide, that's players running into a brick wall. :P

It went every bit as well then as more recent attempts to turn the issue into a wedge issue; it went nowhere, very quickly.  I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Yu* sisters from Magnagora who posted that, and Viravain promptly removed them, as I recall.

Nyla's issues were not about the Taint/No Taint thing whatsoever, either.

In the end, it's exactly as Celina said: It was an attempt by Magnagorans to turn it into something other than what the Administration / founding Divine intended, instead of a true internal divide within Glomdoring's playerbase.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Shaddus said:
    Technically the answer is yes. You'll notice the item number changed, it's an entirely new item. That skanky milkmaid probably had prefilled bottles waiting for Kalliste.
    Chances are the liquid makes no difference, rather the object itself is what matters. Probably someone had the quest item in their inventory and tried to refill empty with haemotox and ended up filling it up and then it reset or was handed in.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I need to dig back into my Glom histories and relearn all this stuff. I used to know it, I swear!

When abouts was the actual Wyrding event, when it changed from 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain' to actually, mechanically Not Taint? Like, which event post are we talking here? I recall the general gist of it (Viravain did stuff, and She was awesome, and Glomdoring was great forever and ever) but the specifics need touching up on

It does seem weird that anyone would consider it still an issue, when it's been officially resolved for so long.

The rest of this I'll leave alone. I don't even really know who hates whom or why, currently, and my entire understanding of Glomdoring's foreign policy can be summed up with the pearls emote.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    If you advertise on the market that you want something, it's likely best not to afk 30 seconds later when I respond that I have it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Daraius said:
    I wrote my first book for Lusternia. It's not what I wanted my debut to be, but I'm somewhat proud of it.
    I really liked it. :)
    Ambassadoge approval acquired

• Salome said:
    Kethaera said:
    Salome said:
    Celina said:

It's not the dark fae reference that really stands out for me. Of course they've existed long before it. I'm talking about female superiority shown in a hierarchy of a house. That really strikes a chord with me. I've just never seen that before other than minorly when GoT has a strong female presence. I actually incorporate this driven sense in most of the characters I play that according to the view of the lore, which Great Spirit speaks the most to my character - That there is this sense of superiority and connection in their presence and identity as a female. Strong female characters with strong urges to achieve their goals has always been a part of how I build someone in the overall RP of an org, if I'm interested.
    Having strong female characters- or rather, interesting female characters- is certainly better than not doing so. I like writing interesting female characters in books myself, even if I suck at the roleplay thing in the game... However, the matriarchy described in the dark elf series is horribly evil, which is why I'm a little hung up on your comparison to the game world. It's kind of hard to root for characters who have terrible motivations to do terrible things(with some exceptions, mostly in other stories told about the world), and I just can't see the connection between what they do and what female characters in Glomdoring might justify as being the source of their superiority. 

That said, I think there's plenty of influence along those lines from the Shadowdancers/Moondancers... though I imagine that's more from the Wiccan connection than anything else. Anyway, I was more curious what parallels you saw between the story world and the game world, as I've read them more times than I could possibly remember.
    Just look at Celina.  You're telling me she wouldn't fit right into a drow matriarch role?
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    So if someone has a log of the Bloodfaire auction, I would really appreciate it getting posted. I forgot to save one.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • edited May 2015
    Recent events just pushed my scholar to decide she has no choice but to learn combat. She will still focus on scholarly stuff but she senses trouble a brewing!

Edit: never posting from phone again
  • Xenthos said:

Annick said:

Xenthos said:

Yes and No?

From the onset of Glomdoring beginnings there were two seperate factions within the forest; those that said it was tainted and those that said it was not. When I was GA of the Blacktalon I think it was Kaervas who removed me from Glom and formally declared via news post that Glomdoring was tainted.

Even the guild leaders were divided

Tainted- Daganev, Richter, Syrwhatsit, Arilyon, Ethelon and Chade

Non Tainted - Gwyn, Jasper, Nyla and Bau

Not at all.  Glomdoring was, from its very beginning, Not Tainted.  Officially.  That was the stance driven by Viravain.  There were those from Magnagora who came to Glomdoring and attempted to make it an issue, but they either shaped up to toe the party line or shipped out.  That's not a divide, that's players running into a brick wall. :P

It went every bit as well then as more recent attempts to turn the issue into a wedge issue; it went nowhere, very quickly.  I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Yu* sisters from Magnagora who posted that, and Viravain promptly removed them, as I recall.

Nyla's issues were not about the Taint/No Taint thing whatsoever, either.

In the end, it's exactly as Celina said: It was an attempt by Magnagorans to turn it into something other than what the Administration / founding Divine intended, instead of a true internal divide within Glomdoring's playerbase.

You stated Gloms player base... Pointed out not entire player base believed such.

Kaervas and Nyla were having an argument at the Master Ravenwood in which Kaer brought in a geomancer to show why it was tainted. Nyla still disagreed Kaer got mad and kicked me out. Yay now guild leaders cannot be kicked out by just one person.

Also Nyla can walk freely around Glom as he is not an enemy of Glom
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    So I'll be hiding in my corner, crying.

This discussion has been closed.