Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• I feel @Vetala with the combat thing, and I really can't approve of the @Kethaera, "Don't like it? Don't play." attitude. It's honestly an attitude that, using a popular buzzword from the forums, is 'toxic', and certainly unsympathetic.

Vetala, I personally think it's okay to take breaks when things are frustrating. Don't feel duty bound to take a village or flare, or whatever. We didn't have Paavik in the first place, so it's not like we would have lost anything if we didn't get the village. You do a lot for Magnagora, and I don't think you get enough praise for it. So, thank you. You are great and awesome. I appreciate you!

I complain on 10 different clans, and that's how I get my frustration out, because I am like, always the first to go down in a group fight and nobody really cares about me xept me. So I'm a total sassy bigmouth who loves to complain, making noise cause it makes me feel better. I don't know if that's your thing, but maybe just venting your frustrations with people who understand you will make you feel better about the situation.
  • Unzareh said:
    I feel @Vetala with the combat thing, and I really can't approve of the @Kethaera, "Don't like it? Don't play." attitude. It's honestly an attitude that, using a popular buzzword from the forums, is 'toxic', and certainly unsympathetic.

Vetala, I personally think it's okay to take breaks when things are frustrating. Don't feel duty bound to take a village or flare, or whatever. We didn't have Paavik in the first place, so it's not like we would have lost anything if we didn't get the village. You do a lot for Magnagora, and I don't think you get enough praise for it. So, thank you. You are great and awesome. I appreciate you!

I complain on 10 different clans, and that's how I get my frustration out, because I am like, always the first to go down in a group fight and nobody really cares about me xept me. So I'm a total sassy bigmouth who loves to complain, making noise cause it makes me feel better. I don't know if that's your thing, but maybe just venting your frustrations with people who understand you will make you feel better about the situation.
    I appreciate you thinking of me, certainly has me hoping! I am taking a break from combat right now, since I don't really have to discipline to keep myself from doing it indefinitely, and I'd rather not break away from the game entirely.

I hope you keep on the way you have been, since more than anything it's clear you're working hard for the city, and it looks like some of us need / are taking some time off.
  • Unzareh said:
    I feel @Vetala with the combat thing, and I really can't approve of the @Kethaera, "Don't like it? Don't play." attitude. It's honestly an attitude that, using a popular buzzword from the forums, is 'toxic', and certainly unsympathetic.

Um... my philosophy is that people should do whatever they find personally fulfilling, regardless of the opinions of those around them. Not everyone likes combat, and they have every right not to participate. If they want to get better at it, they should absolutely seek out advice, and practice, and get involved. I'm not even very good at it, but I like participating in things, and I'm not easily frustrated... so. If the argument is that group combat sucks, I completely agree. If the claim is that there was something -we- specifically, were doing in that revolt that was excessive or unexpected or different from every other instance of group combat... I'd really want to hear a better argument for that. I didn't see it.

I would be the first one to back off if someone expressed an in-game complaint about my actions(within reason, and even or especially if said complaint was ooc in nature)- but in the context of a revolt, where combat is already taking place? We are not mind-readers, and it is unreasonable to expect other players to single someone out for special treatment, despite putting themselves in a situation where combat was a possibility. And if they didn't know it was, that's not the fault of those who show up to counter their actions, either. Them being there, influencing or watching, is hindering the goals of the other side- so there are no pacifists in that situation, sorry. I'm all in favor of solutions, but you need to take a realistic assessment of what the game is like for everyone else, too.

Tldr, your comment comes across to me as rude and an unfair distortion of what I said to Vetala, and I don't appreciate it.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    G level griefing, lusternia has been getting more peaceful after every year for the past 4-5 years if anything.

And I've been playing since 2008.
  • I do love that I can say some general greetings and phrases in french and not break language rules. Ty Delport.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I remember, some time on 07/08, on my first little character (little noob shofangi) going and raiding ethereal glom for a few hours. Nonstop, kill everything, kill everyone. Died a ton since I had no clue what I was doing, but dang if that memory isn't what got Lusternia to stick in my mind, and has kept me as a playing, and more importantly to the admin I'm sure, paying customer since then. I'd love to see more consequence free/low consequence pk take place outside of queuing for whatever. Scale back all the super mobs a bit (and the nasty way mobs clump on etherglom), implement some of the excellent interactive/objective pk stuff people have suggested, and let's become the premier IRE pk game once the overhauls are finished. If we can offer an unrivaled pk experience compared to other games, we'll start sniping their players, and become the omniIRE. I mean, hell, the world is already better than the competitors. We just need to give them a reason beyond cool setting to stay.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    To be fair, if I'd had power at all this last week, I'd be abusing the bearhug too.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited June 2015
    A problem with combat which I believed affects people like Vetala, is that they feel the need to have to help when they start hearing loyals crying out for help on the channel. Instinctively, one feels they need to defend what their character believes in. As someone recently said, sometimes you can just wave off a raid and dismiss it. I personally have had Arcanis several times state "They are just lesser demons..it isnt as if the Demonlords are in danger" simply to try and persuade people there is no reason to walk into an enemy druid meld with 3 enemy ascendants. Heck, I even once said I'd personally repay any power lost by the demon's slain.

I recall that Serenwilde once had this problem with the Moon bubble, and were exhausted with having to always jump up to defend the ladies there that were shouting for help, especially with an enemy meld set. They simply got the ladies there made to no longer be allied to the Moon spirit. No more cries of help. Might help things if done overall.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Config loyalsays off
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I don't really think it's a problem @Arcanis, but I like the way you've tried to dissuade people who you feel aren't ready/able to combat (this is a genuine compliment, there is no sarcasm here) by offering to repay the power loss yourself and make them feel better about loyal denizens dying.

Sure, I'm a bit of an extremist there and think you should go defend for even the tiniest of demons, but I like the loyalsays on, because the RP works for a lot of people.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Arcanis said:
    A problem with combat which I believed affects people like Vetala, is that they feel the need to have to help when they start hearing loyals crying out for help on the channel. Instinctively, one feels they need to defend what their character believes in. As someone recently said, sometimes you can just wave off a raid and dismiss it. I personally have had Arcanis several times state "They are just lesser demons..it isnt as if the Demonlords are in danger" simply to try and persuade people there is no reason to walk into an enemy druid meld with 3 enemy ascendants. Heck, I even once said I'd personally repay any power lost by the demon's slain.

I recall that Serenwilde once had this problem with the Moon bubble, and were exhausted with having to always jump up to defend the ladies there that were shouting for help, especially with an enemy meld set. They simply got the ladies there made to no longer be allied to the Moon spirit. No more cries of help. Might help things if done overall.
    Eh... that's not really a problem with combat, though. Raids do get tiresome, but some claim that having the ability to raid/defend is what keeps them interested or motivates them to learn combat. You can and should still refuse to participate, using whatever ic excuse necessary. I get that it's hard fighting that desire to help(and yes, config loyalsays off), but fun is not feeling forced to do something you don't want to for the sake of playing a game.

Actually, I remember refusing to show up for a revolt a long time ago, "just because" and sat around chatting with someone from Serenwilde instead(who also was avoiding the revolt), while listening to everyone else talking about it. Organizational loyalty is great and all, but it was a whole lot more interesting than it would have been to get involved in what turned out to be a four-hour long nightmare. Make your own choices, and don't feel the need make yourself miserable over something that's going to change in a few weeks anyway. it's all I'm saying. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink

Kiskan said:
    Curious.  I like the idea as a general principle, but does it ever actually work?  From the outside, it seems almost impossible that it would work (no matter how much I'd like it to).  
    It works in small social circles and for casual games, where you can...just not play with people. And go 'we won't play with you if this is how you are going to play the game'. It's about fun.

For MTG Commander, we actually have people going 'Is this too powerful? Do I need to take these cards out my deck?' And I'm not innocent myself, I've had people tell me 'don't play that'. My angels generally stay in my bag, unless there's a very specific group playing, because I know they are too much for a lot of people.

For Pathfinder, we just don't invite that guy who games the system, and then the time he did come along...he acted very differently, and didn't try to break things.

And it works to a degree in Lusternia, where I can just go 'I am not going to fight'. If other people want to go fight, it's fine, they are welcome to. I'm sure there are people who enjoy that level of challenge, but I, personally think that certain people are going too far, and have been for a while, and this is really the final straw for me. But if I just don't go fight them, then I won't get upset about it.

• edited June 2015
    Kethaera said:

Actually, I remember refusing to show up for a revolt a long time ago, "just because" and sat around chatting with someone from Serenwilde instead(who also was avoiding the revolt), while listening to everyone else talking about it. Organizational loyalty is great and all, but it was a whole lot more interesting than it would have been to get involved in what turned out to be a four-hour long nightmare. Make your own choices, and don't feel the need make yourself miserable over something that's going to change in a few weeks anyway. it's all I'm saying. 

Was this the Estelbar peaced revolt? Lord oh mighty that was one of the most tiresome revolts I have ever had.

Shuyin said:
    Config loyalsays off

It's true, that does exist, but that doesnt block others from calling out on a raid on Nil :P. Im not saying we should definitely remove loyals, but just referencing that it does generally make people feel slightly obliged.
  • Arcanis said:
    Kethaera said:

Was this the Estelbar peaced revolt? Lord oh mighty that was one of the most tiresome revolts I have ever had.
    Might've been. It was Glom vs Seren, mostly, that's all I remember about it.
  • edited June 2015
    I for one just compensate for my poor combat ability with things I am good at, like complaining writing and role-playing. There's more to Lusternia than raids, flares and revolts.
  • Tarkenton said:
    I remember, some time on 07/08, on my first little character (little noob shofangi) going and raiding ethereal glom for a few hours. Nonstop, kill everything, kill everyone. Died a ton since I had no clue what I was doing, but dang if that memory isn't what got Lusternia to stick in my mind, and has kept me as a playing, and more importantly to the admin I'm sure, paying customer since then. I'd love to see more consequence free/low consequence pk take place outside of queuing for whatever. Scale back all the super mobs a bit (and the nasty way mobs clump on etherglom), implement some of the excellent interactive/objective pk stuff people have suggested, and let's become the premier IRE pk game once the overhauls are finished. If we can offer an unrivaled pk experience compared to other games, we'll start sniping their players, and become the omniIRE. I mean, hell, the world is already better than the competitors. We just need to give them a reason beyond cool setting to stay.
    I'd mentioned sometime back that I'd be really interested in Lusternia if I didn't have to go grind as punishment for being a "bad" at combat (which I certainly am, but I love PK).  Even more so than someone like me, though, your target audience could be part of the more RP heavy crowd, from what I can tell.  I tend to find "hard core" RP a bit oppressive, so I might not fit in as well as I'd like (although I certainly don't want to go play WoW), but then again, from what little I've seen, your players don't seem to be such raging jerks about it.  Also, there are players who want both deep RP and actual combat, and that niche could be perfect for your game.  Be careful about wishing to be the omni though... the "backwaters" of IRE seem to have all the coolest players and all the most Wozniak-esque admin.  Believe me you do NOT want to give that up.  You want more (of the right kind of) players and maybe another great admin to help shoulder the load, but you still want to be sort of "under the radar".  You don't want to actually BE the flagship, or even really be noticed (too much) by the flagship.  
  • It's more fun to care about things than to ignore them, and it's more fun to lose with your teammates than not to play at all.

Getting griefed is good for you.

Interruptions and distractions keep the game dynamic, giving you reasons to return. You are missing out if you do not allow yourself to be engaged by whatever comes your way while you're logged in, be it conflict or role-play.

Playing Lusternia is greatly improved by a "say yes" mindset.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Talan said:
    Sufficient grief destroys a soul.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kalnid said:
    Talan said:
    Sufficient grief destroys a soul.
    Insufficient grief leads to apathy.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited June 2015
    @Kalnid Only if you refuse to adapt. Embracing repression gives you a lot to strive for and a hell of a lot more room for accomplishment than winning.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Talan said:

It's more fun to care about things than to ignore them, and it's more fun to lose with your teammates than not to play at all.

Interruptions and distractions keep the game dynamic, giving you reasons to return. You are missing out if you do not allow yourself to be engaged by whatever comes your way while you're logged in, be it conflict or role-play.

Your mileage may vary.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

• Daraius said:
    Your mileage may vary.
    I don't believe you're speaking from experience here.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited June 2015
    The best PKers today were the most griefed players 7-8 years ago. If the only enjoyment you get out of this game is when you win, you're not going to play very long.

Edit: You have to be willing to lose. I went up to attack Taevyn in Domoth land the other day knowing full well he'd lame the hell out of me with the new bearhug thing and Celest would jump in to help. But I hadn't had much of a chance to fight as a Harbinger and I needed some practice, even if that practice meant a 99% chance of losing. I found at least a dozen things I needed to add or fix in about the 20 seconds it took for me to die. That's how you have to look at it. Each fight is a chance to get better at something. That's why the top PKers stay on top.
  • Talan said:
    It's more fun to care about things than to ignore them, and it's more fun to lose with your teammates than not to play at all.

Most of the time, yes. My contention is that if it becomes an obligation rather than a choice, that's not going to improve your gameplay either. There are options in between being griefed all day and hiding in a manse all day.

• Kethaera said:
    My contention is that if it becomes an obligation rather than a choice, that's not going to improve your gameplay either. There are options in between being griefed all day and hiding in a manse all day.
    Don't you play in Glomdoring? You signed up for this. NMBG, baby. GBTG.

I'm a little out of the loop. When was the last time someone was actually griefed to the point that they couldn't even hang out on prime?
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Talan said:

Kethaera said:
    My contention is that if it becomes an obligation rather than a choice, that's not going to improve your gameplay either. There are options in between being griefed all day and hiding in a manse all day.
    Don't you play in Glomdoring? You signed up for this. NMBG, baby. GBTG.

I'm a little out of the loop. When was the last time someone was actually griefed to the point that they couldn't even hang out on prime?
    Psh. I'm a terrible Glomdorian. I try to hate Serenwilde but fail at it far too many times. Clearly you need to come back and fix everything :p

Never(Really, I don't know?). And I'm not speaking for myself, necessarily, beyond the fact that, yeah, I don't always feel like showing up for things either even if generally I agree that participation is more fun than not.
  • A surge of elation rushes through you as you realize that Dahlla's fate is 
    sealed. With a roar of triumph, you whip a bloodstone spurred wooden katana at 
    Dahlla's neck, slicing her head from her shoulders in a veritable fountain of 
    dark red blood.
    You have slain Dahlla.
    Your karma falls in response to your deeds.
    Your soul cries out in ecstasy as it reaches new heights of power. You have 
    advanced to level 72.
    You have reached the illustrious level of Celestial.
    Dahlla drops the corpse of a krokani guard.
    Dahlla drops the corpse of a female krokani.
    Dahlla drops the corpse of a stalwart krokani warden.
    The voice of Avechna whispers in your mind a warning about initiating combat 
    with Dahlla.

Yes! First legitimate fight that I've won! Huzzah!

• edited June 2015

Sedanas said:
    A surge of elation rushes through you as you realize that Dahlla's fate is 
    dark red blood.
    You have slain Dahlla.
    advanced to level 72.
    with Dahlla.

I cant believe you actually posted a gank of 2 people upon a novice in the grey moors where one held her down while you used Behead...

Celina said:
    Oh geeze, why'd you have to post that. 

Just inviting a flame war.

edit: Here, I will shield you from the flames with my own body. 

Arcanis turns pallid and drops to the ground.
    You have slain Arcanis.
    Having been too much for the mortal threads of Arcanis, he screams in agony as flames engulf his body and burn it to a crisp.
    The voice of Avechna whispers in your mind a warning about initiating combat with Arcanis.

#NerfBards
  • Arcanis said:

Sedanas said:
    A surge of elation rushes through you as you realize that Dahlla's fate is 
    dark red blood.
    You have slain Dahlla.
    advanced to level 72.
    with Dahlla.

I cant believe you actually posted a gank of 2 people upon a novice in the grey moors where one held her down while you used Behead...

Celina said:
    Oh geeze, why'd you have to post that. 

Just inviting a flame war.

edit: Here, I will shield you from the flames with my own body. 

Arcanis turns pallid and drops to the ground.
    You have slain Arcanis.
    Having been too much for the mortal threads of Arcanis, he screams in agony as flames engulf his body and burn it to a crisp.
    The voice of Avechna whispers in your mind a warning about initiating combat with Arcanis.

#NerfBards
    To be quite fair I didn't know what was going on. As soon as I saw fighting I went to help Niico.

This discussion has been closed.