Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Because my alt has been Gaudi and left. And said alt isn't the biggest fan of them, even though they have friends there. Plus my original plan wasn't GM I did that after waiting a good while for our inactive to respond.
    The playa you love to hate
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Drakius said:
    I mean, I do not see why people don't want "new" characters leading guilds. That means someone who gives a shit about an org is wanting to see it revived and doing well.
    Assuming that said person DOES give a shit. That is so far from the case a lot of the time, though. What @Shaddus said, but more.
  • Daganev said:

Question.

Why do people make alts to become guild leaders instead of having an older character move?

I can only speak for myself. When making an alt (Shaddus has me beat by one alt I believe) you don't go into it saying you are going to run for a position. You just kinda find yourself in a guild where leaders are inactive and its this feeling of ... Don't know how to describe it... It's just like dang it they need some active presence. Like Ialie being GC of the Spiritsingers that time
  • Shaddus said:
    I don't personally care, but there's been a large amount of "new" people who just contest, win, don't do anything, and go inactive so they have a GR19. It's important to have guild leadership, but it's just as important for those people to be emotionally involved with their guild and invested in it, not just filler material.
    I know it bugs me when people do this, too, in other MUDs. It also bugs me when older people that don't care do this too, don't want to bail, and the people that do care are stuck - which has also happened to me.
  • All of what Annick said
    True that, that's basically how I started playing this character. I started her as an alt, and hung around the guild for a RL month or two off and on, and suddenly the guild needed a new admin and I went for it. WE MISS YOU @SENNA :(
  • Annick said:
    Question.

Why do people make alts to become guild leaders instead of having an older character move?
    I can only speak for myself. When making an alt (Shaddus has me beat by one alt I believe) you don't go into it saying you are going to run for a position. You just kinda find yourself in a guild where leaders are inactive and its this feeling of ... Don't know how to describe it... It's just like dang it they need some active presence. Like Ialie being GC of the Spiritsingers that time
    This I agree with. If I pop up somewhere an everything's quiet, even city channels, I'm going to start making some waves. I feel like it can only take one person to start the revival of a city or guild or even a game.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:
    People that make a new character but dont want to play the doe-eyed novice is fine, I understand that, but taking it to the point I find an 18 y.o in a demi+ area -and- them walking around secret locations by rockclimbing? Really? Perhaps just -attempt- to play it down a notch?
    Or they have a friend who's been playing for a while. I have a friend who's been giving Lusternia a go and she prefers coming to me to ask questions rather than ask random people. And if she asks me how to level ultra-fast, I'll tell her to go faeling and beg in Lirangsha and even give her pointers on how to get there. Problem?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited December 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Arcanis said:
    People that make a new character but dont want to play the doe-eyed novice is fine, I understand that, but taking it to the point I find an 18 y.o in a demi+ area -and- them walking around secret locations by rockclimbing? Really? Perhaps just -attempt- to play it down a notch?
    Or they have a friend who's been playing for a while. I have a friend who's been giving Lusternia a go and she prefers coming to me to ask questions rather than ask random people. And if she asks me how to level ultra-fast, I'll tell her to go faeling and beg in Lirangsha and even give her pointers on how to get there. Problem?
    Riiiight. Because an 18 y.o newcommer is going to be able to efficiently beg in Lirangsha. Even with trans influence, she'd need a bigger buffer to her ego. Additionally, sorry to say, but it is generally difficult to believe 'proof' you supply.

Edit: Additionally, you'd be giving your 'newcommer friend' bad advice, since at early levels it is far better to actually bash locations made -for- their level as they would be gaining experience faster than attempting to tackle big mobs with influence.
    edited December 2014
    It's pretty easy to reach a moderate level very early, if you don't waste time with newbie areas. Even bashing, within a day or two of decent playing, you can hit level 50 in most of the IREs, in my experience.

EDIT: Oh hi edit. No, that's not true, newbie areas as a newbie do not level you faster. They tend to give you more gold, but it's usually better to go out and bash anything except dedicated newbie areas.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    At level 12 as a faeling with a beauty enchantment, wetfold and supplication, you can easily get to 60+ in a few hours in Tosha.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited December 2014
    I wonder if a warbling trill could do it a bit faster now...

Quick, Shaddus, to the alt-mobile!
  • edited December 2014
    Tarkenton said:
    I wonder if a warbling trill could do it a bit faster now... Quick, Shaddus, to the alt-mobile!

They do, warbling trill vs regular faeling's effort is about 0.75-1:1.5 for same results.
    (DISCLAIMER: I am not amazing at math.)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Tarkenton said:
    I wonder if a warbling trill could do it a bit faster now... Quick, Shaddus, to the alt-mobile!
    Probably, but then they'd have to either cruise through the collegium quests + advancement, or have a friend cheat and pass them along. Plus, it would suck out 200ish lessons.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Arcanis said:
    Riiiight. Because an 18 y.o newcommer is going to be able to efficiently beg in Lirangsha. Even with trans influence, she'd need a bigger buffer to her ego. Additionally, sorry to say, but it is generally difficult to believe 'proof' you supply.

Edit: Additionally, you'd be giving your 'newcommer friend' bad advice, since at early levels it is far better to actually bash locations made -for- their level as they would be gaining experience faster than attempting to tackle big mobs with influence.
    My newcomer friend is lvl 45 with influence up to wheedling. That's exactly all it takes, from what I saw. She did lose one ego fight in Lirangsha, but otherwise was doing quite fine and it was much more cost effective, considering 2 mobs means a full level and somewhere along the lines of 1.3-1.5k gold

You try bashing mobs for your level with your first guild skill and without dumping a bunch of gold (Which you wouldn't have) for curatives vs dumping 4-5k gold on filling up your rift with bromides, then buying a system/writing one to cure for you.... when all it takes to influence is 3 aliases for the 3 influence types (if you're not going to write an auto-rotate system) and curing autoheal on.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Yes, I agree, nerf influencing

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited December 2014
    Nerf tweet posts that exceed 200 letters in order to complain.
  • I can't even imagine doing that. Demi has spoiled me, I think. I went wheedling with "only" 19 cha today, and only my scarecrow hat for prestige.

It felt painfully slow.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."

Synkarin said:
    Yes, I agree, nerf influencing
    No argument here. And we're talking gains without ikons/xp boosts/harmony blessings/etc

It would be ridiculous to watch people gaining a level or two every 40 seconds (roughly how long it takes to influence a scholar as a newb) with some xp buffs.

• You only get levels like that till your about 60~~ with the influence achievement buffs included
    edited December 2014
    Drakius said:
    You only get levels like that till your about 60~~ with the influence achievement buffs included
    It's still about three-four times more cost-effective to influence than it is to bash. And yes, this is coming from someone who bashed a fair bit of the way to demi in Iceburn Plains when they weren't aggro and you could just sit there and mash critters for hours solo.

EDIT: Influence achievement buffs aren't all that great. Try chowing down a legendary ikon for the 200% xp buff on top of them, though...

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Why no, I don't mind if I'm doing a quest and turn in an item, only to have the mob think I'm performing a completely different, unrelated quest, because somebody thought it would be a FANTASTIC idea to create a sh*tty quest using the exact same NPC's and exact same items as another quest, meaning that I can't finish the quest I was actually working on.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Sounds like a food quest.
    Enyalida said:
    Sounds like a food quest.
    A what?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Like the waystation quests, which use items from several already existing quests in new and more frustrating ways.
    But, do you give these other-quest items to new people? Or do you give them to the same people as the other quests?

• I just accidentally autotelled someone my entire revised description because I forgot to put DESCRIBE SELF in front of it. :(

• Xeltha said:
    I just accidentally autotelled someone my entire revised description because I forgot to put DESCRIBE SELF in front of it. :(
    Happens a lot! It's ok, really!

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • edited December 2014
    EDIT: Doesn't matter. But crow cloaks are Glomdoring property. Deal with it.
    Retired.
This discussion has been closed.