No-Stat Race System

Comments

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    This does have rp implications though, hmm.

• edited June 2015
    Qistrel confuses me. 

You complain about fink being RP only, and now you are noting that a perk can be used for RP positively?

Is RP bad or good? Or only bad if you paid credits for it?

By the way, the buff from scarlet candies from the curio candy boxes don't seem to appear anywhere now.

The candies each had their own effects, scarlet was +health, but eating it does nothing and doesn't show on vitals. 
    edited June 2015
    Not really, I actually don't like that tainted places can count as natural. It goes against everything Serenwilde has always believed in. I am liking this race overhaul less and less as it goes on.

• Scarlet candy is listed as a 1/3 'health blessing' in bodyscan vitals so if you've got one of those from another source I guess it doesn't stack.
  • @Dys:  Ah ha! That would explain it, health blessings abound!  It is there, but it is being overridden by a better one I guess! Thanks!

@Qistral: Depends  what you mean by natural I guess. Would being in "fresh air" and "sunlight" count as natural if the ground is barren? Is a tree made indoors more natural than that (seren meld underground)?  Taint is not natural, but the world and environment around it could still be. It is a very subjective place to question it I guess. Where we do draw the line of natural?
  • There are points where coding limitations and game balance both factor in, certain factors are either not viable or counter productive. Natural areas are still natural, even if they are corrupted by an external force, there is still the very essence of nature in the land itself, even if it is "sick" for want of a better word. A tree doesnt stop being a tree because someone tipped a barrel of toxic waste on it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    This being the prime problem with 'classic' Seren RP. It's an old issue, not something new with the overhaul.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I'm still confused about the kephera chitinous armour bit. The figures aren't listed anywhere that I can see - I'd like to know them, as everyone else gets to know their robes/plate/whatever stats - and how is it supposed to work with Tattoos? The blurb in the help file just doesn't process well in my brain.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Kephera armour totals to 65/65 or what equates to a split-enchanted splendour robe. Tattoo armour is something @Lerad can give you the totals for since I forget them.

As an aside, thanks to @Roark for fixing Taurians to no longer do the double-roll check when bashing! I get to do this neat thing now:

You point your staff at a horrific, diseased parasite, and the burning ball at its tip flares and 
    shoots a stream of liquid fire that blasts a horrific, diseased parasite, scorching his flesh.
    You have scored a CRUSHING CRITICAL hit!
    You swing a steel broadsword at a horrific, diseased parasite. You cut him, opening up deep 
    lacerations.
    You have scored an OBLITERATING CRITICAL hit!
    You focus on your wasted efforts, resolving to shift the damage forward.
    The blade shears through a horrific, diseased parasite's body, coming clean through the other side 
    with a strangely quiet swish. He appears momentarily surprised, before his eyes glaze over in death 
    and he collapses to the ground.
    You have slain a horrific, diseased parasite.
    You suddenly scoop up the corpse of a horrific, diseased parasite.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    For the taurian thing, you actually have to wield a blade for that?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • If you don't have a weapon, it'll default to PUNCH instead.
    See, races you get to be for free get cool toys for hunting. This is why I am frustrated.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Some of them do, others do not

Turns out each race has different perks that are nice in different situations! Weird how that works

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited June 2015
    Finks used to be a race with good hunting damage output, nice health, and a minor niche advantage to shooting turrets - that I didn't even really care about. They couldn't influence, which was fine.

Now, a lot of a race's power is tied up in the demiperk, which means, the small niche power finks used to have is now what the entire race is about.

@Tarkenton Are you going to be bashing as a fink? Are you going to be doing PK stuff as a fink? I don't think you are.

I'm the only person who has ever tried to play a fink as an actual fink. I even enjoyed it. But now, I am suffering a disadvantage because every other race has stuff that helps either with hunting or pk, and finks are only really good at shooting turrets. You know, the very thing this overhaul was supposed to fix was people wanting to play races for RP but suffering disadvantages for doing so.

We're hunters. Go do the quest in Mucklemarsh. You train warriors. To hunt allisaurs. Restoring the might of the fink military. Not the fink aetherfleet. Not the fink dramatics club. I researched every fink NPC in the game, read every book I could find on them, and built my character based on that. That is what I want.

And it's not the admin telling me I'm wrong. It's my fellow players. Making snarky comments even.

So, fine, I will ask for a refund. If you think my fink RP is wrong, then there isn't any point left in me being a fink.

I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited June 2015
    @Qistrel, the only thing I'll be using fink for is aetherspace, absolutely. And I don't disagree with you, I think the paid for races got the short end of the stick. Hence a prior suggestion to give them an extra level of perks. That being said, because I don't intend to ever not be a taedae, the racial aspects don't matter to me. If I've come off as snarky, I apologize and blame the medium. It hasn't been my intent.

Again, though, I will admit, in their currently defined masters of turrets niche, finks are awesome.

Edit: also, really trying to wrap my head around what gnomes got with their demi perk, because I just don't see it.
  • @Qistrel There are a lot of popular races that did not get the perkiest perks. The whole point of the overhaul though, is that everybody can now do everything reasonably well. You can indeed hunt and pk as a fink.

I'm opposed to the idea of giving race-specific perks for aethercombat in general, but if the admin absolutely insist, then giving them to the races that come from Aetherspace does make sense.

Maybe people who have purchased the artifacts should get access to a command to show/hide their racial identity, like a race hat, but not an object. That way, if they do feel compelled to change races for the perks, they will still be able to maintain their racial roleplay.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • I've tested Igasho Carry out pretty in depth with @Synkarin and @Baelor and have the following notes:
    • Blocking, Icewalls, and Stonewalls currently do not stop Carry. This is correct; they also get broken after a successful Carry.
    • Carcer, GreatPentagram, and Barrier currently stop Carry. This is bugged; they should also break after a successful Carry.
    • Firewalls and Forcewalls currently do not stop Carry. This is correct, but they currently don't break after a successful Carry and continue to exist, causing untrapped errors (a bug).
    • Phantomwalls and Briarwalls currently do not stop Carry. This is correct; they also should entangle the Igasho once before disappearing completely.
    • Freeze ground, puke, and rubble do not affect Carry. This is correct.
    • Static and Pits are currently bugged in that they randomly affect the Igasho or the victim on a successful Carry. This is a bug and should only affect the Igasho.
    Hopefully these notes all help @Roark or @Ieptix with the coding!
  • Clarification: Carry should only bypass Pentagram and Barrier at tier 5. It costs 10 power to do so.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Qistrel said:
    Finks used to be a race with good hunting damage output, nice health, and a minor niche advantage to shooting turrets - that I didn't even really care about. They couldn't influence, which was fine.

Now, a lot of a race's power is tied up in the demiperk, which means, the small niche power finks used to have is now what the entire race is about.

@Tarkenton Are you going to be bashing as a fink? Are you going to be doing PK stuff as a fink? I don't think you are.

I'm the only person who has ever tried to play a fink as an actual fink. I even enjoyed it. But now, I am suffering a disadvantage because every other race has stuff that helps either with hunting or pk, and finks are only really good at shooting turrets. You know, the very thing this overhaul was supposed to fix was people wanting to play races for RP but suffering disadvantages for doing so.

We're hunters. Go do the quest in Mucklemarsh. You train warriors. To hunt allisaurs. Restoring the might of the fink military. Not the fink aetherfleet. Not the fink dramatics club. I researched every fink NPC in the game, read every book I could find on them, and built my character based on that. That is what I want.

And it's not the admin telling me I'm wrong. It's my fellow players. Making snarky comments even.

So, fine, I will ask for a refund. If you think my fink RP is wrong, then there isn't any point left in me being a fink.

You're disappointed, we're tired of hearing about finks not being what you want. It's a win-win for everyone. 

You were never that good at hunting, and this fantasy you keep going on about does not make it real.  Finks were, at their core, a sub par race with a huge pile of the single least important stat that was still subject to dramatic scaling. You were outclassed by aslaran, faeling, illithoid, male kephera, and krokani at the very least as far as monk races go. 

I'll be clear, Finks were never worth 500 credits. They were a bad race, but a race some people decided to purchase for the flavor and special snowflake status with some aetherspace perks. Which is fine, more power to you, and you still get to keep all of that. 

Some races are geared towards PK. Some hunting. Some offensive. Some defensive. Some influence. Some rule aetherspace. The difference now is that the perks are small enough (save for 1 or 2 races) and without any glaring weaknesses that you can play any race you want and be successful, including overcoming those with "better" perks in certain niche situations with enough effort and ability. You can still be a warrior, allisaur hunting fink whatever if that's your thing, and you can still be very successful at it, and that's totally great. That being said, how you choose to play your character is not really justification for the admin changing how an entire race mechanically functions. We just went through this with Daganev's warrior poet tae'dae issue, which is why people are probably why people are sassy.

I'm snarky and I don't feel bad. You're not listening to anyone, you're just complaining and having a pity party of one. You can either roll with it, accept that some of your assumptions about mechanics previously were wrong, embrace the new, and keep RPing how you enjoy RPing, or you can get a refund. 

Either way, it's time to...
    Qistrel said:

I can literally guarantee you that finks were not this awesome, amazing better than anyone else hunter race. You'd have hunted better as a krokani than you would a fink, strictly because monk damage was tied to strength, not dex. I don't really understand how many times this can be said and you just ignore that fact. There's a reason that after this overhaul, Dex has been left at a 12, while Strength was moved up to 16 base. Because Dex doesn't matter for hunting. 

No one said your fink RP was wrong, if you want to RP a fink, then do it. You'll be fine at hunting and influencing (as has also been said, numerous times, over and over again). You won't be the best, but then again, you never were the best, so you're really continuing to fit into the exact same spot you previously were in.

You seem to think that because you paid for fink and you actively RP it, that you should somehow dictate what the RP Canon should be for finks and demand that the mechanics match your perceived notions. There are people who dictate IC Canon. It's not you.

Real factz time. Everyone's bashing is slower. Everyone's influencing is slower. This isn't an isolated occurrence to finks, it's not an isolated occurrence to any particular race. It affects every single person in the game. 

I'll admit I've been snarky, but it's because you just ignore any refutation presented to you and continue to make the same, refuted arguments and come across as a spoiled brat who isn't getting there way and throwing a verbal tantrum. Kind of like certain other people that like to complain about every little thing that doesn't go there way and how all the south skills are crazy OP and all the north skills are dumb and easy to stop.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    And as someone I won't name pointed out, this whole "I just went X race for the RP, now give me sweet mechanics," is kind of annoying.
    Geeze. Let's all pile on her because she's irritated about her 500 credit investment to be a special snowflake really isn't that special anymore.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    PS: Everyone's bashing should be a little less slow now.  The numbers got tweaked a bit behind the scenes.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    To be fair, admin have repeatedly also said to contact them if you want a refund.

So....
    It's literally just as special as it was before. If not more so, as these perks are actually a lot more useful than 25 dexterity. That's what we've been trying to say.
    Shaddus said:
    Geeze. Let's all pile on her because she's irritated about her 500 credit investment to be a special snowflake really isn't that special anymore.

It's not that she's irritated, it's that she's irritated for reasons that just are not true and continually plasters them all over. That's my real issue. If you want to be upset because you don't like the changes, then whatever, but don't put throw obvious falsehoods into the mix, especially after it's been shown to be a falsehood

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    All races are equal. Some are just more equal than others.
  • Did more testing for @Baelor and the Mugwump perks:
    • JUMP <direction> currently does not work unless the syntax is something else.
    • Mugwump demi perk that halves mana consumption currently does not look like it's active.
    • Mugwump demi+ perk does not reduce mana drains by 25% currently. Tested with a bard minorsixthing me, and the mana drains consistently stayed at -1370 from Mugwump to Dracnari.