Lack of Raves V: Stark Ravin' Glad

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Like the giant boob-shaped pudding winner, that one time?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Uh, I contest that thesis.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I've already submitted about 10 designs through various alts. I'll win by sheer volume.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    I've already submitted about 10 designs through various alts. I'll win by sheer volume.
    Such a thing as quality over quantity.
    Psh. My quality is awesome
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I take the all-eggs-in-one-basket approach.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    That's a good way to get your eggs crushed :/
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited January 2015
    Tell me that when I'm wearing the Beauty seal around my neck.  B-)

(am i doing smack talk right?)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Rave: Just published book number 75. I'm coming for you, Gaudiguch.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Daraius said:
    Tell me that when I'm wearing the Beauty seal around my neck.  B-)

(am i doing smack talk right?)
    (more or less. I think there is traditionally also a chorus of 'Ooooooooh.' but that might be hard to manage on your own)
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Portius said:
    Rave: Just published book number 75. I'm coming for you, Gaudiguch.
    That's what they want you to do.

I must give a rave to @Isune, for prompt responding to my inquiries and assuaging my fears and stuff.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Surprisingly, no one has yet (as far as I know) asked the powers-that-be how exactly Beauty is gonna be judged. Considering the truth to @Vivet's comment about the consistency by which people always wonder how THAT won each year, I'd have imagined more people would want to get more definition on judging criteria rather than just submitting and hoping for the best again.

But alas, this is raves, so I shall rave for lovely people being so willing to feed my OCD and pointing out things I missed. <3

I'd assume that Beauty follows the same pattern as prestige, as @Drocilla described a while back. No rubric, just going with whatever appeals to each judge.
  • Viynain said:
    Surprisingly, no one has yet (as far as I know) asked the powers-that-be how exactly Beauty is gonna be judged. Considering the truth to @Vivet's comment about the consistency by which people always wonder how THAT won each year, I'd have imagined more people would want to get more definition on judging criteria rather than just submitting and hoping for the best again.

But alas, this is raves, so I shall rave for lovely people being so willing to feed my OCD and pointing out things I missed. <3

Give that beauty is a subjective thing, I always assume there was more subjective judging to it than anything. That the judges each have their own criteria.

My rave: Having a tattoo cartel now to fill up with only a handful of designs because I being special and not sharing designs (nor having to make a design more than one)
    I generally agree with @Viynain. I'd especially like a theme to be declared for future beauties. Something broad, like vernal gods.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Viynain said:
    I always mourn for the reviewers during this time of year because of the propensity of the general population to whip out their thesauruses and draft the essay-long creations. I think it'd be interesting to see how people would react if a word limit were enforced.

Please. Someday. Yes.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."

• Viynain said:
    It's a bigger pain in the butt, I personally find, to write something elegant in fewer words than in as many words as possible. Is this a measure of skill? No clue, but it would certainly be interesting.
    Yes, I'd certainly think of it as a measure of skill.

There's a balance that needs to be found between length and detail. Too short and you're missing out on stuff. Too long and no one wants to read it all.

Being able to describe something effectively with limited words? Well, let's just say there's a reason that a lot of those "win a lifetimes supply of X" competitions are 25 words or less.
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • Library logs aaaaaaaaa
  • Iari said:

Viynain said:
    It's a bigger pain in the butt, I personally find, to write something elegant in fewer words than in as many words as possible. Is this a measure of skill? No clue, but it would certainly be interesting.
    Yes, I'd certainly think of it as a measure of skill.

There's a balance that needs to be found between length and detail. Too short and you're missing out on stuff. Too long and no one wants to read it all.

Being able to describe something effectively with limited words? Well, let's just say there's a reason that a lot of those "win a lifetimes supply of X" competitions are 25 words or less.
    Because the contest hosts know they're going to have to read 25000 entries minimum, and anything approaching a reasonable reading rate means they'd have to hire extra staff who do nothing but judge the contest if a longer entry was allowed or expected?
  • Damn right Snooki.
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
    How sad is it that I only recognised the last two names? :(
  • Shaddus said:
    It's okay...

I don't recognize any of those names.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Shaddus said:
    I only recognise the second-to-last, so.

Bam.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    Ieptix said:
    Shaddus said:
    I only recognise the second-to-last, so.

Bam.
    You're technically better off than me.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I blame my wife's love of Project Runway for knowing who Tim Gunn is, and I think he's great. Tailoring

Think the second guy is the Ikea CEO - artisan

Emeril is obviously cooking

and Snooki is jewellery? I don't get it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Snooki judging the more "risqué" designs
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
This discussion has been closed.