Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I was unaware that there is an ongoing contest in achieving the Pettiest Lusternian Title. Certain individuals are certainly bringing their A-Game.

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Just want to throw in that, in Serenwilde's case at least, we can easily put up Ironbark to cover saplings while they grow as I've been told our conquest power pool is more than adequate to cover the cost.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Demartel said:
    You can easily not rush to plant and put a few guards at your saplings who will call out if enemy comes in. There is no reason whatsoever to rush to plant elders. The -only- thing elders not bonded do is power generation and the loss of a few for a few days is not an impact that matters in the long run. I have one log (I checked all my logs for the last 11 months and the majority show it happening) of multiple nuts dropping and just being ignored during a day. So it's not like there is a shortage of pixie gathering.

Now if you are saying you dislike planting trees, then fine I can understand that, but there is no real impact to not planting them, or using guards to protect the saplings. Passive generation from the remaining trees more than pays for a few guards.

I completely agree that the chopping side of the mechanic is a PITA and I think that side of it is what should be addressed. I also think the admins are more likely to work from that angle, given the "historic" attitude they have had in the past to outright changing totems.

They can call out, but at that point at least one tree is already downed (or will be very shortly if you put a stunguard). This assuming that they don't have some way to bypass guards, like deepcover. 

There is no power loss, but clearly that's not the important bit here. It's like... dunno, someone breaking into your house and moving furniture and objects around in the room you use for religious observances, except that nothing you can reasonably do will stop them if you relax your (expensive) vigilance at any point. Nothing is stolen, you haven't lost any money per se, but someone could poke into your house univited at any moment. It's not a perfect metaphor, but it captures part of the frustration IC.

It's a pain to deal with and is a BIG DEAL IC even if it doesn't functionally or mechanically do anything important, so you either end up invested and frustrated at your inability to deal with it or detaching from the IC motivators - which is fine but creates a disjunction that only grows. 
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    To expand on the metaphor, imagine as part of your religion that you're supposed to have a shrine in your house, and that shrine includes an item that must be hand made on the other side of the world, special order, blessed, and shipped to your house. And at night, someone keeps coming in and smashing that one item. It only costs you a few dollars to order a new one, but you have to order it, wait for it to be made, have it blessed by a religious official (and they won't bless them in bulk), then shipped to you. Then as soon as it arrives, if you make one mistake in your security, the person comes back and smashes it. They never do anything else, just smash your icon, forcing you to order and wait for a new one. Very soon, it becomes very tedious.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited December 2016
    My comment was not constructive.
  • This metaphor is convoluted. 
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
  • I found it kinda funny.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I can't comment on Glomdoring's power, but in the case of Serenwilde your metaphor leaves out one thing. You can put a bullet proof case around your icon (semi)permanently and all the perpetrator can do is come in and stare longingly at said icon and wish they really had a way to smash it.
    No, that's included in the metaphor--"relaxed vigilance" and "one mistake in security".
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Demartel said:
    Guards attack enemies on sight. If they don't call out without being attacked back, that should be changed IMO. Most of the people I have heard of chopping trees couldn't tank a few guards. There is a few exceptions though.

Divine fire makes them attack you and bounce and they dont call.
  • edited December 2016
    Demartel said:
    I can't comment on Glomdoring's power, but in the case of Serenwilde your metaphor leaves out one thing. You can put a bullet proof case around your icon (semi)permanently and all the perpetrator can do is come in and stare longingly at said icon and wish they really had a way to smash it.

Gloms trees dont produce enough power to ironbark full time I think from a little look over it. EDIT I think you said yourself serens trees make a good almost 1k on top of gloms right?
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Demartel said:
    I can't comment on Glomdoring's power, but in the case of Serenwilde your metaphor leaves out one thing. You can put a bullet proof case around your icon (semi)permanently and all the perpetrator can do is come in and stare longingly at said icon and wish they really had a way to smash it.
    Can Serenwilde actually make a profit off their elders, even with perma ironbark up?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Karlach said:
    Demartel said:
    Can Serenwilde actually make a profit off their elders, even with perma ironbark up?

Yes seren can ironbark 24 seven and still make a few hundred power each day.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The best part about this is that people are attacking forests for things cityfolks are doing, and it's not like the forests have any say over what their cityfolk allies do.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    The icon must be displayed in your house. You can protect it by putting it in a safe, but not only do you then need to upkeep the safe... it still kinda sucks that you gotta put it in the safe.
    I mean, at no point has a forest person replanting trees ever been mad at the city person raidng the opposing side and not the person attacking the first forest for cutting the tree down.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Profit in the sense that you gain a positive passive amount of power. Not in the sense that ostensibly the full passive generation of the forests is balanced against the active generation of the cities and therefore the baseline for forests isn't 0 but the full amount of the passive generation. In that very real sense, it's being punished for trying to avoid getting punished. 
    Shaddus said:
    I mean, at no point has a forest person replanting trees ever been mad at the city person raidng the opposing side and not the person attacking the first forest for cutting the tree down.
    What? And if you are saying what I think you are here, wrong?
    Shaddus said:
    I get pissed all the time when other people's actions indirectly and negatively affect me.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited December 2016
    This chopping discussion was a lot more tame than I thought it was going to be. DISAPPOINTED.

I think that telling people to just not plant if it's purely for RP is lame, but by that same token I think people need to chill about getting a few elders chopped. /2cents

EDIT: I mean, it -is- a whole 15 elders, so that's not insignificant. Wyrdenwood slaves, ho.

• Lerad said:
    Okay, so the argument has shifted to "You can't be angry if you're creating this work for yourself. You can change your RP so that it's not so important!"

Well, why the fuck are people complaining about kick-and-run, then? You can't be angry if you're making yourself respond. Why don't you just change the fucking RP? Who cares about the 1 or 2 power lost from the death of the cosmic creature anyway? I'm sure you don't - well, then, just don't respond to raids! And hey, it's not like you can't stockpile flesh/crystals from the smob creatures, too, right? How would them being dead affect you again? You can't raise CrystalSpire? Was that it? Why don't you just restore whichever crystal a newbie needs when one joins? You could change your RP to make it a ritual, you know. Hell, I see newbies bringing in essence every minute of the hours I spend afking at at the Ravenwood. What's the rush to put up them smobs? It's a non-issue!

Oh, hey, Yarith my buddy! Remember that time you and Ciaran raided villagers when there was no one around? Remember how I retaliated by running to a village, killing one mob, running off to another village, killing another, rinse and repeat? What, were you angry? The horde of people chasing me around, were they angry? Well, hey, you know what? YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE ANGRY, NO SIR. Those villagers? They don't even give power! Since it's only RP that's making you have to react in that way, then change your fucking RP! Don't blame me for you creating work for yourself, man. That's just not cool. Not fucking cool at all.

Yeah, why don't we just all log off and be happy friends together? Link arms and sing songs? Michael Jackson anyone? What, RP? Who gives a fuck about that nonsense? It's making you angry? No, you have no right to be angry. Just change your RP so that it's not important enough to log in for. Tell anyone who comes to you with a complaint, "Why the fuck are you even logging in? You can't blame anyone if you're the one creating the work for yourself by logging in! Just change the RP so it's okay to log the fuck out and ignore it!"
    Tell them how you really feel, Lerdaddy.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • edited December 2016
    I didn't change my argument.
    Also I didn't complain about those things.  

EDIT: Okay, I complained about hit and running. :>
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Yarith said:
    I didn't change my argument.
    Also I didn't complain about those things. :)
    To be fair you have complained about kick and run even when its something you've done before yourself. (Or chop and run)
    This thread.

Everiine said:
    Shaddus said:
    I get pissed all the time when other people's actions indirectly and negatively affect me.
    My post needs to be taken as a whole. If one of your communemates attacks Earth, and I cut down an elder in retaliation, Are you going to be angry at your communemates but -not- me?
  • Trick question. Everyone is @Shaddus
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
    The point that I'm apparently not being clear on is that the people who are chopping elders in retaliation seem to think that you should be angry with the person they're retaliating against, not the chopper.
    In your example, I'll be angry at you, not the person who attacked earth, because they two aren't equivalent.

Now, if Person A cut down an elder in Glom, and you (pretend you're a Gloomie) retaliate by cutting down our elders, then yes, I'll be mad at both, because they're both dick moves.

Same if people are doing vines/fires in retaliation for similar dick moves.

This discussion has been closed.