Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• Rancoura said:
    Kurut said:
    Rancoura said:
    That moment when you activate a dormant tradeskill for the first time in an eon and forget to wield your powerstone and completely drain your own reserves. :(
    Try CONFIG POWERSTONES ON. It's an amazing option, and it keeps you from accidentally draining your reserves on anything that can be done with a powerstone.

...See, I so rarely use this skill that I forgot that option even existed. Thank you for reminding me and hopefully saving me from much embarrassing power-wasting in the future!
    Oh, I did a while ago, so I wouldn't strip my reserves totemcarving.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Aeldra said:
    So, after roughly 4 hours trying to wrap my head around moondancer combat, I realize I just got no clue at all how combat works and that being Tahtetso before was just a really easy way to go about things.

So now am realizing, I have no idea how to stack an affliction, how to even cause afflictions with the new class. I'll be support for a while. Doesn't help I have to hog someone elses time to test if I got something that's worth keeping. People have tried to help, but I feel I'm just still a lot beyond even the basics :(

Still love :x the class a lot, it's flair and RP though, just... yeah. I need to learn more and a lot and not sure where to leech the knowledge from without hogging people's time over and over again :((

Pretty much what others have said. If you're a Hexen, make sure one of your hexen palm'd hexes is Sleep. It helps if you also sync your fae to all hit at once rather than separately (not sure if there was ever a change to make them do this automatically, but whatever). If there wasn't a change for them to do it automatically, order your fae to hit you and then immediately pacify them once they hit.

As Enyalida said, it might help for you have to have quicksilver stripped before they hit, but this is probably going to be slightly difficult as you don't really have many ways of sticking afflictions as a Moondancer currently.

Keep your pooka alive. Your pooka is everything. He is your lord and saviour. The absolute backbone of your offense. Some folks know that and will attack your pooka in order to kill it and get rid of it. Once you've got your sleep hexes drawn, you want to do ORDER PERSON METAWAKE OFF, ORDER BEAST BREATHE SLEEPCLOUD, WHAMMY PERSON SLEEP SLEEP. You don't need to doublewhammy the sleep. It's going to be obvious what you hit them with because they'll have some kind of system reaction to being doublewhammy'd and it'll be quick for them to tell if they've been sleeped. If you want to doublewhammy further, doublewhammy your afflictions. Aeon them when asleep, slap with succumb and use your hexen palm to keep them asleep. Redraw as necessary and make sure you re-apply Aeon around every 15 seconds since it fades automatically after a time. Toadcurse once you have 8p and they're at half-mana.

Moondancer is a dated class by Lusternia standards, but you'll still kill people with that. You can also go Astrologer if you don't want to rely on sleeplocks. All you have to do for Astro is just hold them down long enough for meteor. I'd probably go out on a limb and say that Astro would probably be better in my opinion. Hexes will still work.

• edited January 2016

Aeon (wane) is a 4 second balance, too, without patchou, so that stripsilver really needs to come before the sleep. But yeah, it's basically just one long sequence over and over. Without the cat it's very literally no fun to even try, either.

At least being in groups is fun

EDIT: IMHO Moondancer combat = be champ, or be happy being support. Those are your choices

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Thanks everyone for all their suggestions. For my part, I was only ranting, didn't actually expect any people to throw things at me, but I highly appreciate all the food for thought! :x

my tertiary is neither astrology nor hexes, I've picked healing as my tertiary. I guess it limits my offensive capabilities further, but combat's never been my main focus. Will try to see how far I can get regardless, thanks to all your suggestions :)
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Aeldra said:
    Thanks everyone for all their suggestions. For my part, I was only ranting, didn't actually expect any people to throw things at me, but I highly appreciate all the food for thought! :x

my tertiary is neither astrology nor hexes, I've picked healing as my tertiary. I guess it limits my offensive capabilities further, but combat's never been my main focus. Will try to see how far I can get regardless, thanks to all your suggestions :)

You're primarily geared for support then, which is fine for a Moondancer and suits them. Vines, Wane, Dark, Bedevil, Plague, Healing, Maiden, etc. are all good things a Moondancer can do to support their team.
  • Aeldra said:

I've had my own (rather lengthy) rants too. But people really are great for their help. @Nienla especially spent a lot of time in and out of the arena trying to help me pin down that kill sequence.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Oh fun, healing. Basically you wane the target over and over. It's tremendously annoying. Don't worry about using healing, things like aurawarp and bedevil are MEH and way less useful than just straight up aeon spam.

Once you get some experience you can start throwing in sacrifices for your team, which is super helpful. It can also be suicidal so use with caution!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    My favorite anti-MD strategy is to have an entourage that will periodically wake me. 
  • Riluna said:
    Aeldra said:

I've had my own (rather lengthy) rants too. But people really are great for their help. @Nienla especially spent a lot of time in and out of the arena trying to help me pin down that kill sequence.
    Some of my information is dated because I haven't played in awhile, but Moondancer is one of those constants that hasn't really changed. I do dislike that Patchou is nearly essential for a Moondancer to be more competitive. Sadly, Moondancer is a victim of feature creep in Lusternia. It's hard for people to support buffs for Moondancer as well when it has good things in Moon like Full, Drawdown, Shine, and Night's old Succumb ability.

Hopefully, the overhaul will possibly allow for more good things for Moondancer down the road to allow them to have a more competitive role in combat and less reliant on a champ ent to get to that level.

And yeah, I was a wee bit of a nuisance way back when for Serenwilde with solo raids. Happy to hear that my shenanigans did help people improve though.
  • Nienla said:
    Aeldra said:

You're primarily geared for support then, which is fine for a Moondancer and suits them. Vines, Wane, Dark, Bedevil, Plague, Healing, Maiden, etc. are all good things a Moondancer can do to support their team.
    It doesn't hurt throwing in a random succumb (you never know when it will just stick for no apparent reason in group situations). Or, better, if your team has manadrain on their own, just have your contemplate trigger autotoad at 50% mana, and contemplate between all those endless wanes.

Healing is great, or was pre-overhaul, for staying alive when you're the enemy team's target, too.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Isn't Patchou attacks random and unpredictable? Sure it helps, but it's just adding afflictions you  have no control over. I guess I just don't see how adding random afflicting ent (even if it does do aeon) contributes so much it's the difference between competitive and not competitive.

You can still sleeplock as healer or astrologist if you play it right. It relies on pixie timing (or whatever strips insomnia/sleeps)/neurosis aura and a sleep enchant, but it can still be done. It's not as fast or as easy as hexes, but you're getting other advantages instead. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Enyalida said:
    My favorite anti-MD strategy is to have an entourage that will periodically wake me. 
    Also setting yourself on fire. Not as reliable but it works! (usually)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Seems like I remember giving a neurosis aura to passively strip insomnia was a thing.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited January 2016

Synkarin said:
    Isn't Patchou attacks random and unpredictable? Sure it helps, but it's just adding afflictions you  have no control over. I guess I just don't see how adding random afflicting ent (even if it does do aeon) contributes so much it's the difference between competitive and not competitive.

You can still sleeplock as healer or astrologist if you play it right. It relies on pixie timing (or whatever strips insomnia/sleeps)/neurosis aura and a sleep enchant, but it can still be done. It's not as fast or as easy as hexes, but you're getting other advantages instead. 
    Didn't say that it made Moondancers non-competitive if they didn't have Patchou but that it is essential in making them more competitive when sleeplock isn't that incredibly effective, but it does help when you don't have to waste 4-8 seconds to Wane when Patchou gets blessed by RNGesus while they're asleep. Pretty sure the Aeon is one of her two common oacts too.

I would say they're not very competitive at all, but it does help when you've got four seconds (which is a long time in combat) to instead hex, keep them asleep, or what have you.

Edit: Largely depends on who you're fighting against and how much RNG decides to favor you with them being asleep and what not.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 'essential' mean absolutely necessary?

I think saying something is 'essential' means that if they don't have it, they're no longer competitive. I'm not denying Patchou helps, any kind of extra passive afflicting helps anyone, I'm denying the essential aspect of it.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited January 2016

Synkarin said:

I think saying something is 'essential' means that if they don't have it, they're no longer competitive. I'm not denying Patchou helps, any kind of extra passive afflicting helps anyone, I'm denying the essential aspect of it.

I guess I lean towards Patchou being essential for a competitive Moondancer fighter because waning someone for eight seconds and hoping they don't wake up in the mean time is kind of a stretch. It's a subjective opinion.

• Synkarin said:

Semantics, I guess. What it's 'essential' for having any flexibility on the one-track railroad that is Moondancer offense.

My personal opinion isn't that it is impossible without guild champ (even I have had a few of these kills under my belt, to be sure re: hexes not healing), but rather that it's far, far less fun OR rewarding being a one-trick pony, doing one thing over and over and over ad nauseum for your victory. 

You're praying on the RNG either way. With patchou you just have to pray a little less.

Except there isn't flexibility, you're just rinsing and repeating whether you have Patchou or not....

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    The problem with patchou is that you can't plan around patchou. Due to the speed at which you have to issue the commands (all at once), you can't do it every time patchou attacks (the pooka is 10 seconds, patchou is 8 so you'd end up with additional dead time). 

He's like shuck. Great when the RNG falls in your favor. Doesn't change overall strategy though.
  • edited January 2016
    As a sidenote, Moondancers are really fun to RP with. It's awesome how many novices we're getting lately. :)

• edited January 2016
    You can't plan around Patchou no, but there's no disputing that having Patchou alone makes a Moondancer a greater threat and therefore more competitive.  Her aeon oact is one of her two common attacks, so you're statistically more likely to get it and it can help while the opponent is asleep. Yes, it relies on luck, but a Moondancer with Patchou is still better off than a Moondancer who doesn't have her.
    No one has disputed that by the by.

The only dispute was that you need Patchou to compete, which you don't. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    You really try way too hard to be right. No one is disputing patchou is swell.
  • Synkarin said:
    No one has disputed that by the by.

The only dispute was that you need Patchou to compete, which you don't. 

Subjective opinion, but I'd disagree. You've also got people who served as Moondancer champion or are capable combatants and played the class saying so or additionally implying as much. It doesn't take much to utilize the Moondancer offense appropriately, but there's no disputing that Patchou's effect on Moondancer combat is more dramatic and has a greater impact than the Handmaiden, Grim, Shuck, etc. The difference of four seconds is a long time in Lusternia, especially when sleep is subjected to RNG. I'm fairly sure that I would never lose to a Moondancer without Patchou. With Patchou, I'm fairly sure that could possibly change depending on a lucky aeon proc.
  • It depends on what you mean by "competitive," I guess. The grass is always greener, it depends on what side of it you're actually dealing with, etc.

I've met very, very few combatants over the years who are ever satisfied with what we can offensively do, until they got champ. I would love a discussion about why exactly that is. But this needs a new thread.

Back to it being 'essential' again now. We've gone full circle.

Sleeplocks aren't about the aeon, they're about the sleep.  I'm going to stick with my opinion that having Patchou isn't a requirement to compete in MD combat due to the fact that you can achieve the kill method without him. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Being theoretically possible and being actually, practically doable, are two different cans of worms entirely.

To be entirely technical, neither sleep nor aeon are "required" for the kill condition, except there's literally no other way to stick it unless they're slept and aeoned. Just how much of that sleep/aeon curbstomp is "required" is the entire crux of the issue.

My tweet: I wished, for a very long time, a MD part of the 'overhaul' was actually overhauling the class entirely. Does anybody like it on either side, either playing or going against it?

I bet it is actually practically doable.

If you can do it with Patchou, you can do it without Patchou. Patchou just helps the process along, sure, but he isn't the only thing making it possible.

(To clarify, I didn't say the kill condition required sleep or aeon, I said sleeplocks were more about the sleep than they were about aeon)

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited January 2016
    Riluna said:
    Being theoretically possible and being actually, practically doable, are two different cans of worms entirely.

To be entirely technical, neither sleep nor aeon are "required" for the kill condition, except there's literally no other way to stick it unless they're slept and aeoned. Just how much of that sleep/aeon curbstomp is "required" is the entire crux of the issue.

My tweet: I wished, for a very long time, a MD part of the 'overhaul' was actually overhauling the class entirely. Does anybody like it on either side, either playing or going against it?

It has a lot of utility and Moondancers have a fair amount of lore. However, they haven't been realistically touched in ages. As I said before, this is likely because people are generally apprehensive of giving Moon buffs because of its good utility. However, it's a victim of feature creep because systems and the complexity of combat has gone beyond what Moondancer is capable of now. It relies on the same premise as it did years ago, which isn't a bad thing because a lot of classes still do. However, unlike other classes like Celestine and Nihilist which have Inquisition and Deathmark respectively (and a number of other upgrades), sleeplock/aeon hasn't really been able to stand up to the same test of time.

Moondancers could probably use some help in making them more powerful in solo combat instances if you wanted. However, they do have a lot of good utility right now for groups.

I've never really been threatened by a Moondancer though. Only really threatened whoever was Heir of Ellindel and had Patchou. I'd just kill Patchou and their pooka as well and the Moondancer was basically neutered most of the time. I'm a proponent of classes generally having two viable means of pursuing a kill so they're not railroaded and easily predictable. Edit: At least they made fae non-crittable.
This discussion has been closed.