Chimaera Mafia (game thread)

Comments

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Well, then, let's see if that loaf of bread will be enough to last all of us. I'm not sure where the boys in the lower labs keep their secret cache of food.

Unvote, Vote for None
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Hey, it's not my fault we had to cut back on the cafeteria, the only place in the building the main labs could expand was into the adjoining room, and you don't want to know what OSHA made me do to allow us to keep the breakroom.

Also, just so it's both clear and official:

Vote: None
  • That's a majority for no lynch!

After an hour of wild accusations, mild panic and incredible paranoia, the group decides that, ultimately, they have nowhere near enough information to make any sort of reasonable judgement calls. The bitter truth is that Ermine's supporters can be anyone.

As the clock strikes twelve, a low thrum echoes from the deeper parts of the lab, where Ermine's containment cell is. Shortly afterwards, the air conditioning system shuts itself down. The diagnostics reveal sabotage at multiple locations. Getting the system back up and running before air becomes scarce will force the group to be at multiple locations over the next hour. It's clearly an intentional act of distraction by Ermine. Unfortunately, there's no way around it. They have to split up.

It is now Nightphase 1

Nightphase 1 will last 48 hours, or until I've received all night-actions.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • VOTE: NONE
    Haezon said:
     Think of Hallifax as less communism and more DMV city.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    (it's night time)
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    A large rat scurries by as Azureus speaks to the empty room, dragging the loaf of bread with it down the stairs.
  • edited October 2015
    After a lot of reparations, preparations and a few curses due to poor or faulty equipment, you're all finally able to get the systems up and running again. As you all hasten back to meet one another. And everyone does. It seems whatever followers Ermine has amongst you didn't do anything tonight. Are there even any? Perhaps this is all a trick to make you distrust one another as she sets up a different plan of escape.

No matter, with all 15 of you around, you'll require 8 to lynch.

It is now Dayphase 2.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Wheeeee!

So, let's divvy up that loaf of bread. I'm famished.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Well, whatever trouble Ermine was hoping to cause with that was thwarted, luckily. Hopefully someone was able to get some insight on what's keeping us out of the upper labs and escaping?

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Aghast and wrathful, Pollux screams,"WHERE IS MY LOAF OF BREAD?!!"
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• That couldn't have turned out any better, but I really don't know what to make of this. 

I'm generally against Day 1 no-lynches, since it favors the mafia. Especially when there's an odd number of players. Worst case scenario - ermine kills, and we're left with one of us dead, which gives us one less mislynch to work with. A mislynch at least gives us information to analyze (who was on the bandwagon, who resisted, etc.), especially when we can still lose one mislynch on a no-vote. Best case scenario is here, now. We still have no information. Our lynch today will be just as blind.

Please let's not no-lynch again, for the above reasons. I believe we got spectacularly lucky (because I don't understand the reasoning behind a mafia no-kill just to fuck with us, when a kill would have given them an advantage).

We can't count on luck though. I'm convinced ermine is on that no-vote bandwagon, but I'm not sure where to begin.

We're basically on Day 1, version 2, which is as awesome as this could have turned out. But does anyone have any ideas about where to go from here?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • At the risk of my own life...

Can I point just how shady Siam is being.

First was the bit about the loaf yesterday  and now he says something in bold - like it was some kind of power.
    I thought we were meme-ing. 

• Ayisdra said:
    At the risk of my own life...

Can I point just how shady Siam is being.

First was the bit about the loaf yesterday  and now he says something in bold - like it was some kind of power.

It would have to be something completely unrelated to what he's actually saying. The loaf was "stolen" by somebody not even playing with us. And if it's not related to what he's saying, I don't understand the point of making him say it to use his power. :/

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Uh, no lynches don't favor the bad guys any more than bad lynches do. You aren't guaranteed any valuable information just by lynching a random AND risk losing an important role like protector or investigator. 

Nothing wrong with a day 0 no lynch. I think, though, we should at least try something at this point. Even though Riluna is kind of crazy pants about it, I don't think she's scum. 

Siam and Shaddus are being weird, though that could just be because they are Siam and Shaddus.
  • I'm actually a fan of no lynch occurring Day 0 as long as there's actual discussion, voting and argument. I'm a bit ambivalent at the moment on whether that philosophy carries into a day 1 with no visible night time action. Likely some people have more information, whether they are in any position to share it is questionable.

I still find Synkarin and Tremula suspicious. Tarkenton's been pretty quiet in general.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm not suspicious, I'm just wondering why Siam was the only one who thought to bring food.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Personally, I didn't really anticipate that Ermite would lock down the labs. But perhaps you did?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Tark has been dealing with hosting a bridal shower this weekend, along with still dealing with severe arm pain.

As for behaviors, Riluna is a nut, but harmless.
    Ally has taken a very hard-line stance throughout the thread about activity, quietness, and the like.
    Azure and Saran have both been about as active as I have, yet get no mention?

Seems like odd behavior to me.

Vote: Allyrianne
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    My working theory is either that we have someone who can roleblock who managed to get an Ermine agent last night, we have a doctor who healed an Ermine target last night, or both. In which case, keep up the good work, but keep a lid on it.
    You only find me suspicious because I voted against you to back up someone who's never played the game before.

• Yes Tremula, I do find you suspicious for taking second vote with no argument other than "bloodthirsty scum" and "don't pick on newbies" when there's really no reason for me to have known (or believed) that some guy who's been around as long as Synkarin has never played a forums mafia game before. And given how he usually posts the clueless act struck me as suspicious. Leaping to a random person's defense, with no analysis of what people are actually saying, also strikes me as suspicious.

Quietness is bad. I'm also happy to encourage Saran and Azureus to post more if you like, Tarkenton. You're just the one I happened to see online and not posting.

Having never played forums mafia with the Lusternia crowd before, I'm clearly used to a fairly different playstyle than quite a few of you. Not really sure what to say/do about that.
    Shaddus said:
    I'm not suspicious, I'm just wondering why Siam was the only one who thought to bring food.
    Hey, lab work is tedious especially when you get sucked in! I'm just looking out for own health. :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Also, one of the best things about vengeance in Lusternia is the arghpees we get to do because we're not playing our characters. Helegena is the best character in Glom vengeance.

#bringShikariback 

• Yes Tremula, I do find you suspicious for taking second vote with no argument other than "bloodthirsty scum" and "don't pick on newbies" when there's really no reason for me to have known (or believed) that some guy who's been around as long as Synkarin has never played a forums mafia game before. And given how he usually posts the clueless act struck me as suspicious. Leaping to a random person's defense, with no analysis of what people are actually saying, also strikes me as suspicious.

Quietness is bad. I'm also happy to encourage Saran and Azureus to post more if you like, Tarkenton. You're just the one I happened to see online and not posting.

Having never played forums mafia with the Lusternia crowd before, I'm clearly used to a fairly different playstyle than quite a few of you. Not really sure what to say/do about that.

Over analyzing each post is just how forum mafia normally goes.

Speaking of which.... you say you are happy to encourage Saran and Azureus to post more. How are you going to make them post more (and not others who have posted just as little)? Are you three scum and working together and that is how you are going to make them talk more - by telling them during the night when you kill one of us?
    We all know I'd win a sassy drag queen mafia game
  • I'm primarily not posting that much because well nothing's happening and it's a bit boring right now. There really isn't much to say other than post analysis and because no one has died we have no real way to combine the analysis with knowledge of their role.
  • Celina said:
    Uh, no lynches don't favor the bad guys any more than bad lynches do. You aren't guaranteed any valuable information just by lynching a random AND risk losing an important role like protector or investigator. 

Nothing wrong with a day 0 no lynch. I think, though, we should at least try something at this point. Even though Riluna is kind of crazy pants about it, I don't think she's scum. 

Siam and Shaddus are being weird, though that could just be because they are Siam and Shaddus.
    Yes, they absolutely favor the bad guys. And yes, I'm certainly crazy, but not for this argument. It's crazy that I even have to make it. This is the only place I have ever played where people do not just fail to recognize that a Day 1 no-lynch is just terrible strategy, but you push for it like it's ideal, too, when there's nothing ideal about it. The feeling that town is dying slower is a specious thought, because scum can still kill, and aren't going to kill themselves. It unbalances our ability to fight back. Lynching is the only way to fight back, and the only way town can kill scum.

This is why I have no idea what to do, in this theater. Why I am acting out the way I am.

It's not just a feeling of advantage, it's a mathematical advantage. Everyone, please hypothetically consider if ermine has four among us. That would mean there are eleven of us.

With eleven of us, we have exactly four mislynches before we lose, excepting luck. Ermine will kill at night, and get to choose who they kill. Thus, first mislynch brings us to 9:4. Then 7, then 5, and 3 (the fourth mislynch, where we lose). On a no-lynch, our mislynches to lose is reduced to three (because one of us dies at night, too). D1 11:4, no-lynch 10:4, First mislynch 8:4, second 6:4, third 4:4 = loss.

We lose a mislynch anyway, and gain nothing the mislynch gives us. No, we are not guaranteed to be able to find scum immediately with the information, but on a no-lynch we guarantee we do not get any information.

Yes, we might accidentally kill a power role but we might accidentally kill a scum too.

edited October 2015
    Yes, that is how the math works in a void. We aren't playing in a void, there are several game swinging powers at play and rolling the dice on probability is a nonsensical way to play when in context of the rest of the game. You're literally disregarding the entire premise of the gay, which is weird. You're gambling either way, but arguing that random lynch gambles make your chances better because of math that does not take into account blocks, investigations, and whatever crazy powers pop up in these games (I had one that just blew up whoever lynched me in a previous game). 

We do get information. Powers give us the ability to find that information. Powers also can cause lynches to backfire.