Alliances

Comments

• @Celina, two people do not necessarily have to have met or spoken to get a picture of how one perceives the other, especially when it expresses itself very loudly without the need to. That is all I am saying, not throwing shots or whatever.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Well I mean, it was definitely a shot, but alright. I'm certainly stubborn, but I don't have to have my way. I didn't even kill anyone as I exited Glomdoring.
  • That moon lady still weeps from the betrayal of Sojiro/@Shuyin.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    It was my fine to get unenemied man! I was more upset about the power fine.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited October 2015
    Ignore me please, I have nothing to contribute to this discussion. :\">
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Talan said:
    Leaders need to make decisions and stop letting their orgs devolve into endless debates and infighting.

Most players, even those who disagree with a decision, will abide by it and support it, simply because it was handed down by leaders they have confidence in, and because doing so allows them to continue playing in the org they prefer.
    As long as you're not as unilateral as Morbo was, this is so true. If you don't like what your CL decides, then contest them. Same with GM/GA/GC.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Now taking bribes to make your dream alliance come true.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kaimanahi said:

If our dream alliance features a city where half the leaders and ministers are inactive and the other half are off playing on alts until revolts/domoths/wildnodes hit, sign me up.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ...Gaudiguch?

• Eodh said:
    ...Gaudiguch?
    Minus Dys and Naralis, and sometimes Arix, all our positions are active.
  • I was just teasing. I feel like a fair number are actually just twiddling around hoping things (domoth/revolt/flare) happen while they're online, though. Like the last revolt in Talthos/Rikenfriez, I gave up and took a 2-hour nap. Guess when the revolt happened :(

• Siam said:

Tea time dictates alliances, you guys.
    Tea time dictates everything.

Those particular tea times were had at the request of Glom's CL, requests she made in the Shadow Court in the news at one point and on the clan channel at another. Open invitation. You're welcome to join in. We always bring extra cups for anyone who would like to.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Talan said:
    Leaders need to make decisions and stop letting their orgs devolve into endless debates and infighting.

Most players, even those who disagree with a decision, will abide by it and support it, simply because it was handed down by leaders they have confidence in, and because doing so allows them to continue playing in the org they prefer.
    Assuming, of course, people actually have confidence in their leaders.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    Then get someone you do trust in office. All problems are solved with citizen action and bureaucracy.

If that fails, then your sense of nationalism should be stronger than your sense of individuality. Submit to your government and obey.
    For Mister Zvoltz, Pejat has been terminated by the Replicant Dynodeon.
    Pejat said:
    Everiine said:
    Then get someone you do trust in office. All problems are solved with citizen action and bureaucracy.

If that fails, then your sense of nationalism should be stronger than your sense of individuality. Submit to your government and obey.
    You've never met Everiine, have you :P .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• I remember the days when I got to just be a brainwashed Glomdoring cultist and the Ministry of Peace told me who we had always hated, and I just got to hate them like we always had.

Politics suck.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
    Stratas said:
    Politics suck.
    Truth.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Talan said:

To add on this a little bit, I feel like this tends to be more true with the vetted players because we've all been in leadership positions before, and there are reasons we are not in them/don't want them now. Eheh. I myself have a lot more fun following along than trying to call the shots these days.
  • Since there seems to be such confusion about the role the Shee-Slaugh played in the current alliances (unless there is a different tea-loving family that advocated for the current alliances that I am not aware of), I feel the need to clarify this apparent point of confusion regarding the current treaty, the role the Shee-Slaugh played in it, and my own role, before it spreads any further and causes more confusion.

The Shee-Slaugh do not have family tea parties with Hallifaxians in manses. There is not some grand RP with them motivating a Shee-Slaugh treaty conspiracy. Personally, Eliron had not drunk tea in a manse with a Hallifaxian for real life weeks if not months before he was asked to speak with them about a political alliance by Glomdoring's commune leader. Since concluding the treaty negotiations, he has not drunk tea in a manse with a Hallifaxian.

I have one old friend in Hallifax I will occasionally catch up with. I suppose it's possible we did that in a manse, once, instead of in a tea house within easy reach of the tea we both like. Eliron's brother was in Hallifax, but he went dormant well before any negotiations started, and would be irrelevant anyways, since they managed quite a thriving relationship while their homes were at political odds before. It made for excellent roleplay, in fact.

I freely admit to raiding their tea house with some frequency, but that hardly requires any Hallifaxians be present. If Daraius is present when I do, I'll make come2Glomdoring noises at him, because seriously, have you SEEN the tea house he runs? There is no other reasonable reaction.

I know of exactly one other Shee-Slaugh with Hallifaxian friends. I'm not going to pretend to speak for her, only say that any tea she had with them outside of her assigned duties as Ambassador never escalated to the level of inviting me or, as far as I know, the rest of the family to join in. I imagine some other Shee-Slaugh know Hallifaxians, but it's not something any of them has felt a need to discuss with me in regards to treaties, or ever.

I suppose it's possible I'm forgetting some minor interaction with a Hallifaxian, but if its that forgettable, I don't think it's influenced my actions that much.

I advocated for the current treaties based on the IC perception (correct or incorrect) that Gaudiguch had conveyed a strong preference for Magnagora over Glomdoring, even to the detriment of the Glomdoring/fae, and that Magnagora was too internally unstable to be a good treaty partner.

I actively negotiated with Hallifax and New Celest at the request of Glomdoring's CL. I invited any members of the Court who wished to attend to come. I eventually wrote the treaty we signed at the request of the same CL. My involvement with Hallifax since then has been minimal. I occasionally speak with Pejat about the treaty.

I'm sorry, Hallifax, is this thread has given you the wrong impression of my feelings for you. I only love you for your tea. Your delicious, delicious tea.
  • Sylandra said:
    Is it me, am I the friend? Because if I am I can tell everyone in this thread that I have like almost no bearing on Halli politics whatsoever. I am going to hang with my bros in manses and drink tea regardless of if they're enemies with me or not, and I'll probably still badmouth their org ICly if I feel like it. (For example, you Glomdoring people smell terribly. How do you drink tea amidst such smells!)

I don't really know what's going on in Glomdoring, but rest assured my tea parties aren't sinister, they are just me typing the pearls emote at people, as you do.
    You are totally that old friend that I make an effort for, instead of just ignoring you the way I do all those other stuffy Hallifaxians who meddle with things they don't understand. :x
  • edited October 2015
    Sylandra said:
    How do you drink tea amidst such smells!
    I make tea that tastes like nightmares and rotting wood, and @Corissai made one brewed from swamp ooze and ash. Our teahouse is a vast, shadowy cathedral inside a cave, decorated with a deathwatch beetle and a squonk teapot whose tears you are served to drink. The smell of Glomdoring is probably the most pleasant thing about our tea culture right now.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Pejat said:
    Everiine said:

Oh yeah, I super don't trust most leaders, but the main reason is because the majority of any council don't actually represent me. At any given time there are seven people on the Seren council, only two I get to vote for and... well I have the family seat right now.

Ignoring the actual people in the seats, the other four members, the majority of the council are people I mechanically cannot vote for nor contest if I think they are doing a crappy job (without like... giving up my guild or destabilizing another guild which I'm personally against cause of past drama)

This allows for... interesting situations, such as having a CL pushing an org down one path while GMs are trying to push it down another...

The CL is the only person on the council that actually has to care about keeping the entire their org happy to retain their position.

GMs can be as unpopular as they like, as long as they have the support of their guild. Which is a problem of the tiny/micro guilds, the voice of a gl who had to convince maybe one or two people to vote for them is considered equal to the voice of a cl who could have had the support of fifty people. And, of course, the family seat is problematic in itself.

I wouldn't trust leaders, and I rarely consider them fully represent of their org, the only way this would change is if the entire council was elected by the org. Because it's only then that I can go up and contest a leader I have an issue with or I can vote for someone else, which in turn means the platform of the winner is more likely to reflect the wants of the org itself.
  • Regarding the whole... Glomdoring/Serenwilde situation... it's a problem, but for me the bigger problem is that it's so stupidly difficult to argue against.

@Zvoltz provided a nice hallifax pov earlier (I wish Serenwilde were more barbaric... or like... full gw2 sylvari), and yeah Serenwilde has there reasons to be opposed to every other org...

But Glomdoring... it doesn't matter how much we fight them, it doesn't matter what war crimes either side commits... because Maeve needs to just sniffle and we're at peace. And because it's Maeve, we can't even really try to extort agreements out of the situation because if we delay then the admin will start punishing people (as gods showing displeasure or other rp consequences).

And honestly, like... Saran will always push for the eradication of Glomdoring, but like... oocly, it's getting harder to argue against the people who don't see the point in fighting them any more, because we keep having events that make us work together, we have events where one side harms the other, and... well I have players telling me shortly after Hoaracle's return we were getting told by the gods to ally with Glomdoring.

And so... apathy
  • Do all of the council's members have to have equal votes? Like you said, only the CL is really elected by the entire faction. Wouldn't it be better to just structure a government wherein the GMs perform an advisory function in relation with the CL, or for the CL to have veto?

I don't hold any elected position anywhere, so I'm not sure how things in various orgs run. Grain of salt and all that!

• @Eodh it may depend but I've always seen the councils appearing to function as equals. 

What I've experienced and what I've heard has reinforced this impression that GMs consider themselves equal with the CL and often above the Family Seat. Of course, there's nothing really to be done, because again the GMs only need to care about their guild and it comes around again to well... the GM can vote against the CL if it comes to an election, the CL can only do that if they're in the right guild.

Yay more reasons I dislike the guild system.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Shaddus said:

Kaimanahi said:

If our dream alliance features a city where half the leaders and ministers are inactive and the other half are off playing on alts until revolts/domoths/wildnodes hit, sign me up.
    I didn't really mean Celest is the dream alliance, but anyway, I challenge you to point to an org that is not full of inactive council/ministries. And hey, being in a position of power does not make you a leader, and an org's success is pretty much never dictated by government/administrative upkeep. So, don't know what you're trying to get at. Carry on. I will clarify!

Taking bribes to influence the fruition of your dream alliance, which may not be with apparently-inactive-and-incompetent-Celest-?-lol.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kaimanahi said:
    I didn't really mean Celest is the dream alliance, but anyway, I challenge you to point to an org that is not full of inactive council/ministries.

/me points at Magnagora.

The only ones of the councilors/leaders I haven't seen in a while is Daevos and Ilthilior.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.