Alliances Soap Opera

This discussion was created from comments split from: Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine.

Comments

• I know this is a vaguepost, but I am literally both completely at a loss and laughing my ass off at Glomdoring's politicking right now.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Maligorn said:

I know this is a vaguepost, but I am literally both completely at a loss and laughing my ass off at Glomdoring's politicking right now.

Context or gtfo.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Maligorn said:
    I know this is a vaguepost, but I am literally both completely at a loss and laughing my ass off at Glomdoring's politicking right now.

Why stop at glomdoring? It's a mess everywhere. Frankly I blame Hallifax's "We prefer not to be at war" stance to everything.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    In isolation, that sounds like a pretty fair stance for a city of bureaucrats.

But is annoying in a game based on conflict.

• There's a difference between being at war de jure and de facto. While Hallifax hates being at war de jure, due to alliances it often is forced in to de facto hostilities.

• That's a bit misleading imo.
  • It's just how I see it :s. If I'm wrong, pls2be correcting me.

• Maligorn said:

Seems poorly done to me, but whatever I guess.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Also lol@Bitterfax. Why do you even care what Glom does? 
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited November 2015
    What is the point of calling us bitter?

edited November 2015
    I'll take deflection for 300, Alex.

edit: I know why you care enough to vaguepost about it. I just wanted to read your explination. 
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited November 2015
    The Shadow Court and perhaps you know what they did. They should be ashamed for even submitting that kind of legislation /forumrp. It's already been retracted though, so you're kinda late to the party.

The real question is why do -you- care why we care. You're a Gaudiguchian now.

EDIT: It's also amusing that you deflected my question with a snipe about deflecting the question. I really want to know how Hallifax is bitter right now. Unless it was a cute taunt, I rate it 8/8 gr8 b8 m8.

Maligorn said:
    The Shadow Court and perhaps you know what they did. They should be ashamed for even submitting that kind of legislation /forumrp. It's already been retracted though, so you're kinda late to the party.

The real question is why do -you- care why we care. You're a Gaudiguchian now.
    I prefer the term fashionably late. 

Because I want a 3v3 for the sake of the game and that really hinges on Glom. 
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I'm confused, and I'm on the court. What'd we do?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    If it wasn't for the forums, I would have no idea that anything was going on in Glom. Can we communicate IC better like toss out a news post please? Why should everyone else know what's going on, and your citizens have to find out oocly from NON-citizens?

Not being privvy to any council type clans really beings home how poorly information travels to the masses. This goes for all orgs. Keep your people in the loop. Ideally GMs, as your elected representative, should be reporting back what's going on. Let's do it please. I feel like an outsider enough in Glom, at least let me be an informed one.

Tl;dr please stop making me get my Glomdoring news from the forums, more news posts please.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    As far as I knew, we were still working on things (e.g. holding discussions)... I would assume that news posts would be posted once things were solidified. But then, I haven't been logging in often enough to hear Court conversations, so I might be wrong.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

Ha, I actually have no idea. I was just giving Maligorn a hard time for being intentionally vague/condescending to stir up trouble. His subsequent whining about being called bitter was just gravy. 

tl;dr: I was trolling the troll and he fell for it. 
  • I'd really like if public and org news were more common.

Forum drama needs to become IC drama.

Public Board for new forums! (ICly ofc)

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Wait, did a Hallifaxian just ask why a Gaudiguchian would care about their politics? ...the diametrically opposed organisation? It might be my hearing.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Tremula said:
    Wait, did a Hallifaxian just ask why a Gaudiguchian would care about their politics? ...the diametrically opposed organisation? It might be my hearing.
    Context or gtfo

• Chirbo said:
    Tremula said:
    Context or gtfo

@Maligorn posted a vague tweet criticizing Glomdoring's politics (they are working on a treaty with Magnagora, or something?). @Celina pounced on Maligorn's tweet, stating the latter's bitterness of losing tea time with Glomdoring. Maligorn pounces back, saying Celina doesn't have any say or should not have any concern with Glomdoring's politics, since she's already in Gaudiguch. Which brings us to now, where Gaudiguch and Hallifax should actually track each other's political status closely. Keep enemies closer, or something.

• Glomdoring has bad internal communication? Huh. 

Wish there was some new drama lately.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Glom's stance to the other orgs, and developments in that area, have always been common knowledge to the rest of Glom. The silence to the rest of the commune has been because... no action has been taken, due to deadlock in the council. When action is taken, it is always announced to everyone.

With Glom, there's a layer of secrecy in the game, but personally, I've always found that it is limited to the atmospheric feeling than any actual drive to keep things mum. I mean, we certainly do say things like, DON'T LET THE FOREIGNERS KNOW, but it's an open secret that there are people with alts in every org specifically to learn about these things, anyway, and there's no real way to stop them from metagaming it.

@Lavinya Forum drama is just forum drama. If you hear something on the forums that hasn't been announce in game in Glom yet, most of the time, it hasn't actually happened in game yet.

• I'm sure the discussion of Glom politics and stuff is all good and interesting.

But we know the REAL argument here is someone trying to say that barbecuing is more American than it is Australian.
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • Lerad said:
    Glom's stance to the other orgs, and developments in that area, have always been common knowledge to the rest of Glom. The silence to the rest of the commune has been because... no action has been taken, due to deadlock in the council. When action is taken, it is always announced to everyone.

With Glom, there's a layer of secrecy in the game, but personally, I've always found that it is limited to the atmospheric feeling than any actual drive to keep things mum. I mean, we certainly do say things like, DON'T LET THE FOREIGNERS KNOW, but it's an open secret that there are people with alts in every org specifically to learn about these things, anyway, and there's no real way to stop them from metagaming it.

@Lavinya Forum drama is just forum drama. If you hear something on the forums that hasn't been announce in game in Glom yet, most of the time, it hasn't actually happened in game yet.
    That's an exaggeration, @Lerad, in terms of the roleplay of secrecy being the driving force behind keeping information from being general knowledge- it's also about certain individuals(and I mean many people) wanting to control the flow of information as a source of power. 

I mean, there was talk of alliances shifting well before I left... but to the average commune member "not on the Court", was there any reason to believe that Glomdoring wasn't still at war with Magnagora? Did that ever get resolved? It's the sort of information that should be public, for what I think should be obvious reasons. I don't remember if the stance with Serenwilde was ever shared publicly, either, after that fight in Faethorn ended the "peace". Or when they were negotiating peace again... I was on the Court, and it was only when I asked specifically about it that the decision was posted. That's a problem. And it has not always that way, at least to the degree that I saw.

Knowing how the commune feels about the other orgs generally is not the same as knowing whether specific decisions have been made or what's being discussed- also realize that common knowledge isn't necessarily known to those who join from the outside, or to newbies.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • edited November 2015
    @Kethaera

First of all, I never said the roleplay of secrecy kept information from being general knowledge. I said there was a roleplay of secrecy, BUT all the information that needed to be general knowledge was never hidden and kept secret. I said, verbatim, that the "layer of secrecy... is limited to the atmospheric feeling". And a line before that, "When action is taken, it is always announced". When action HASN'T been taken, it obviously isn't announced.

Secondly, the period where we were talking about alliances shifting is a very long period, Keth. And on top of that, I'm pretty sure there has been no consensus in the court's decisions before you left. I can't recall exactly when we finally settled on our current decision, but I'm almost 90% sure it was after you left. In fact, I just took a quick gander up this very thread: the tied combat clan vote (ie. announced to every Glom in the combat clan, which is every Glom except newbies) finished on November 1. You actually left Glom around that very day too. 

There was no consensus even up to the day you left Glom, Keth. As a pro-Cele/Halli person yourself, did you want the Court to suddenly announce we're no longer at de-facto war with Mag? Won't you have kicked up a fuss if anyone tried? As it is, without a clear mandate from Glom players, there can be no fair way to say that we're ending hostilities. We were basically still at de-facto war with Mag when you left. Are we supposed to announce that it has changed... before it has actually changed?

When a decision has been made, it has always been announced, Keth. There has never been a case where information has been willfully with-held from the non-Court Glom people. There has been cases when people were too tired to make immediate posts - you've surely had moments like that before, right after events, but I can say with a lot of confidence, never willfully to hoard secrets and "control the flow of information as a source of power".

Edit: Regarding Serenwilde, Glomdoring has only ever had one stance - hostile. The only reason there was even a temporary peace was because both Seren and Glom thought there was going to be an admin driven event in Faethorn soon. Tempers frayed, patiences snapped, once it was apparent it was going to take longer than a week. (Has it been a few months by now yet?) Once the peace was broken, it was never mended. The negotiating peace parts never fell through... and no Glomdoring person was ever led to believe there would be a second peace, by announcements or a lack of it.

edited November 2015
    I can say that the allegation that there is a group of people in Glomdoring (or any organization) intentionally withholding important alliance/relationship information as a means to maintain power is a little comically villainous to the point of absurdity when you consider that while it may be effective in real world politics, it's not actually all that important for game politics. In Glom at least, no one even wants CL except the current one (who often doesn't even want it), so what "power" do people actually gain or retain by not discussing political shifts to organizations at large? Nothing. 

That being said, there were no dramatic changes towards Serenwilde or Magnagora, thus there was no information to divulge. Even the thing with Serenwilde was just both sides getting bored and eventually disregarding divine mandates on a personal level. As far as I know, the Court never even weighed in on that in an official capacity, it just happened, and the Court didn't feel obligated to explain to the Commune why Celina or whoever was raiding Seren (because that would be a waste of time).