Welcome to Los Alamos! Sylandra, sneaky Soviet spy, wins! America slightly wins.

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Not to do an OMGUS vote but it's where we are right now. I'm paranoid there's a third variable we don't know, but I don't know what it could be. Now that I know crazy popes are a thing.
    vote: Chirbo
  • I feel as if I'll forever be known as the "crazy pope"... Well, I suppose it could be worse.

• Celina said:
    Not to do an OMGUS vote but it's where we are right now. I'm paranoid there's a third variable we don't know, but I don't know what it could be. Now that I know crazy popes are a thing.
    vote: Chirbo
    It's not OMGUS when you know what you are.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    For me it's more the "Celina murdered Luce" "Oh, no, wait, that's just my theory" when others disproved your claim.
  • I THOUGHT SHE WAS A MURDER DOCTOR OKAY
  • So, like while I guess it's possible that major historical players in the project itself could be scum, I think it's more likely that scum will end up being either enemy saboteurs (which could be compatible with the initial premise, though I find it unlikely myself), or political opposition to the project (which I find more probable, given the flavour of "kills" in the game).

So, for funsies, let's take a look at the known (or at least claimed) roles we have so far:

James Chadwick, Stafford Warren, Edward Teller, Leo Szilard, Enrico Fermi.  I'd also expect the following major roles to make an appearance for the town side (assuming they're all town): Leslie Groves (head of the project), Henry Stimson (the SecWar during the Manhattan Project, who we do know is in the game), Stanislaw Ulam (worked w/ Edward Teller to produce fusion weapons after the war), and Richard Feynman (because you can't have a MP/Physics anything without mentioning Feynman), J Robert Oppenheimer (major physicist, "father of the Atomic Bomb"), possibly president Truman himself.

Actually, looking into things a bit, it makes a bit of sense that Celina/Szilard might in fact be mafia, though I wouldn't call this conclusive: during the MP, Szilard penned a petition to President Truman advocating for not using the bomb against Japan, and after his petition was disregarding became rather despondent about his involvement, and Leslie Groves attempted to find reason to bring Szilard up on charges regarding the petition, and most of the people who signed it lost their jobs in weaponry.

Ergo, it seems likely to me now that the division is anti-bomb people vs. the rest, which puts Szilard, and thus Celina, on the scum side. I'm not sure who else would fit here, but given the flavour of everything (e.g. "killed" people getting moved off the project to non-weaponry/miltary sites/jobs), I think it likely that the setup is mafia as saboteurs/anti-bomb individuals who are trying to remove the important scientists to prevent progress in atomic/nuclear weaponry.

Vote: Celina

7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • "Important scientists" I guess was bad wording there, meant more along the lines of "key individuals to the progression of bomb tech".
  • Also I wrote that big post as stream-of-consciousness, so the "for the town side" bit of the roles I'd expect to show up isn't really valid.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    The problem is that if Celina is scum, then we have the scummy people and Synkarin (who I'm assuming for now is town) also knowing who the Secretary of War is. I'm not sure if we have another protector, and we've already lost our doctor. So....yeah. Confusing.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    ...So last night's post of mine was sponsored by vodka. Cough.

I really don't know enough about the Manhattan Project to discuss name-claims, but Ieptix's commentary kind of cements what I'm thinking.

Chirbo opened the dayphase by claiming two things: that I am innocent (confirmed by me), and that Celina is scum (denied by Celina). Celina bases the majority of her defense on a nameclaim, with powers that combine the investigator and doctor roles. Chirbo contends she also has the ability to kill with the mafia.

Most people are annoyed at Chirbo for flipflopping re: Luce. I think, more likely, Chirbo is not very used to mafia just yet. He did similar things last game where he blurted out stuff without thinking (ie, "I'm Protestant!"). But he's since claimed two things this game: that he's the guy leading the Manhattan Project, Enrico Fermi, and as a result he's lynchproof (@Chirbo can you confirm or deny this?). 

If he's lynchproof, we waste another day's lynch like we did yesterday. Granted, yesterday I really thought @Tarkenton was bluffing. However, Chirbo has admitted that he thinks he's not vigkill-immune. Unsure about nightkill immunity, as Chirbo hasn't verified that either.

But here's the main question: is Chirbo a reliable investigator? If he was a consigliere, it would make zero sense for him to come forward about Celina today being scum. Because let's say we listen to him, lynch Celina, and she's innocent. He's just sealed his own doom. Is that worth it, just to get rid of one town in a game as small as this one? I imagine the mafia isn't that big to contend with in a 12 person game, so they can't make as many risky plays as that this early on. It's possible Chirbo is just a poor scum player, but more likely, if he was scum the other mafia would never have endorsed this behavior. They'd say, "Listen, this will backfire on you." 

I find it highly unlikely that a scum!Chirbo just went rogue at the opening of the dayphase for absolutely no reason. I do find it likely that a town Chirbo panicked and made some wrong assumptions based on his investigative powers, which are so far not tested for reliability, except that we know he is definitely not a paranoid cop or a naive cop, because he returned two different results. I know my result is true, hence I trust Chirbo. I can't expect all of you to be on board with me, because you're not me and obviously don't have the mod PM that I do. So we have to test his reliability.

One way of testing Chirbo's reliability is lynching Celina. Celina has, if I'm reading correctly, already investigated me, which means I'll have turned up innocent to both investigators. I'm disinclined to vote Chirbo if he's lynchproof because that lets the mafia hammer down one more person tonight unhindered, and if Chirbo happens to be innocent, it leaves him vulnerable at night, assuming he isn't nightkill immune. And then we've lost time.

I will say that I do think nameclaims are useful for one thing, which is seeing why people have the powers they do. My power (lol "power") is directly tied to my position as Head of the British Mission. If Chirbo is Femri and a lynchproof investigator, it makes sense that we couldn't fire the head of the project, and it also makes sense that he would be able to investigate all his employees. Do Celina's powers make sense for her nameclaim, @Ushaara and @Ieptix?

Anyway, here's my ideal plan of action: we lynch Celina. If she's town, Tark vigkills Chirbo. If she's scum, we confirm that Chirbo is reliable. Y/n?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Flaw in your plan: You just told the mafia your plan. 

They can kill Tarkenton. I already went over this. 
  • I'm not sure about powers lining up with the role(s), particularly in regards to Celina. Investigation can reasonably fit on anyone, and I suppose her doctor-effect could feasibly come from the general rank/influence the role would have. I think though that, for the most part, powers are general enough that they can kind of fit on most people. Chirbo's claim on unlynchability makes sense, because Fermi was really one of the big players, and I guess Szilard being able to protect himself is similar enough.

I do approve of Sylandra's plan, however.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Do you think that Silvanus would design a game where a scum!Chirbo couldn't be lynched in the event that we lost our vig? That seems way off-balance, and I know Silvanus was having people look at his set-up beforehand.

In the event that Chirbo survives the night, we call bull on the lynchproof claim and lynch him.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I don't know enough about either the mafia meta or Silvanus to say what he might have done for the game setup. That does seem inordinately strong, though. I don't think it likely that Chirbo is scum.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    It's ok, I can watch Tarkenton - so if they kill Tarkenton, we'll know another scum if it pops out. 

Additionally, I can protect myself (didn't want to play all my cards) 

I'm willing to lynch Celina because while Chirbo's claim is all sorts of off, I saw that she was investigating SecWar (I almost named them, but caught it right before I hit 'send'). 

Vote: Celina

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Worst case scenario, I die and get to gleefully watch. Why not, as good a logic as any. Come at me bros. Unvote Vote Celina
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Fourth Vote Count, Day 3:

Celina - Sylandra, Chirbo, Ieptix, Tarkenton, Synkarin (5)

Chirbo - Celina, Tremula (2)

At Los Alamos, it takes SIX votes to reach a majority.

2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • The suspense is killing me.
    It's about to kill me.
  • That's rather the point, though. >.>
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Like I said before, names don't mean much to me so I'll have to trust the judgement of our resident science nerds. And you know. ...It kinda makes sense to have the pacifists as scum. It seems like something Silvanus would do while cackling evilly to himself. There are still a lot of uncertainties but I feel confident enough to vote.
    Vote Celina

• I'm actually the best player here 
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    That's a lynch! I'll write up a scene when I get home in 6 hours.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    OOOH you bastards. I was so close to getting away with it too.
  • Wikipedia saves the day again!
    I shall take great pride in the fact that I convinced 4 of you to vote for Chirbo after he outed me, and so I shall take the title Queen of Bullshit, Celina, With Grassy Notes.
  • Tbf, Chirbo did more than his share of the convincing on that front.
    At least you were classy enough to let us know instead of waiting. Kudos to you, Grassy.
  • Incidentally, after Celina's first pre-lynch post, I can no longer imagine her as anyone but Lestrade from the BBC's Sherlock.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    What a reveal Sylandra, haha. And damn, Szilard as scum..

Sorry for the silence today, had to be out and about being a real physicist rather than a pretendy funtime one (much more enjoyable). Lots of digesting of posts to go over in the night phase at least.