Welcome to Los Alamos! Sylandra, sneaky Soviet spy, wins! America slightly wins.

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Ieptix said:
    Tbf, Chirbo did more than his share of the convincing on that front.
    Well you're about to find out I bullshitted a lot of my power claim. 
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    (In five and a half hours because I had already wrote part of Celinas lynch)
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Oh god too many people to pick from for investigation.
    Silvanus said:
    Does she know she dances like this? Are others as confused as I am? Do you think she cares? If no one were watching, does she dance the same way?
    Dancin' the night away.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I just can't
    Early 1949

The Iron Curtain around eastern Europe continues to tighten, even though America and the countries of western Europe airlift supplies to the blockaded Berlin via operation VITTLES, also known as the Berlin Airlift.

The Iron Curtain continues to threaten and punish the countries of eastern Europe, consolidating the bloc into a weapon pointed west. The only response was for the countries of western Europe and their friends across the Atlantic to sign an alliance treaty in response to the Red Menace. The Cold War has officially begun.

imageimage

However, we have gathered here the premiere scientists in radiation and nuclear physics in the world, and we presented to you the information gathered on whether or not the Soviets successfully detonated a nuclear device, and all evidence points to yes, which confirms with our other reports.

Our intelligence agencies have reported that there are three things in Soviet land that have come of light. That they have successfully detonated a plutonium device, codename Joe-1, they have also been researching a thermonuclear weapon with device, and they have had a contact within Los Alamos.

No one has been dismissed, fired, or... killed through the night. All return to see the day and prepare themselves for the next war, one that is hopefully never fought. Although Edward Teller has been dismissed from Los Alamos for certain disagreements with authority, his team has been taken over by Enrico Fermi, and all future advance of thermonuclear weapons will be directed through him.

Good luck.

It is Day 4. At Los Alamos, it takes FIVE votes to reach a majority.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Well it looks like people are doing their jobs well, thank goodness. Whoever/whatever it was, keep it up.

I have no idea where we go from here though. Did anyone learn anything new? Chirbo? Synkarin?

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor

What comes into my head every new Day phase that I'm still alive for!

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Thinking on it, lack of death could also mean there is something else afoot, like an arsonist style power. Has anyone noticed anything flavoursome? Like the scent of roses in Sylandra's game was a clue, perhaps we should be on the lookout for that too?

My presumption is that with the doctor gone there is no other protector, so the reason no one was fired is either because the roleblocker picked right, the target has some sort of immunity, or instead of firing someone the mafia did something different, such as the arsonist power. 

Just to follow up on this question from the last Day phase
    Synkarin said:
    Here's something I'm curious about

Does anyone from the Manhattan project really have a chance to seem like they are scum? I'm not super familiar with the history and I haven't googled it and such, but I don't remember hearing about spies/bdd guys being rooted out. So that goes to say if there really isn't anyone that could be scummy, then there's a chance everyone could be scummy. Even people that seem integral. I do believe this is more historical fiction to have fun with. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm nervous to let anyone go simply because of their name.
    I don't think the Americans ever caught spies during the course of the Manhattan Project itself, but there were certainly Soviet spies involved, Klaus Fuchs and Theodore Hall being perhaps the most well known, who were caught after the event.

Coming into the game, this is the dynamic (ie Soviet spies as the mafia) I was expecting, but would now agree with Ieptix that the dynamic is more tilted to pro- vs anti-bomb, than Americans vs Soviets. That said, with the flavour text now highlighting the Cold War, it's hard to discount Soviets being a potential third faction, especially with mafia having their own doctor.

But if it -is- indeed solely pro vs anti bomb, history isn't going to be much help I think. Aside from Teller who at time of the Manhattan project was thinking, 'This is small scale. We can build an even bigger bomb!', several of the researchers involved tried distance themselves from further involvement after the war. Prime example being Fermi who opposed the development of the later hydrogen bomb (what Teller was aiming for) but who is now leading the research in this direction (flavour-wise at least).

@Sylandra any further developments on British missions?

(bit meandering, but on a plane to Spain tomorrow and likely reduced internet access, so wanted to get my thinking down on the page)
    Oh, and just now after reading the flavour text a bit more carefully,

"Our intelligence agencies have reported that there are three things in Soviet land that have come of light. That they have successfully detonated a plutonium device, codename Joe-1, they have also been researching a thermonuclear weapon with device, and they have had a contact within Los Alamos."

I would think this suggests we have a fair probability of a third party Soviet in play, along with the pro- vs. anti-bomb groups.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I watched Chirbo last night - nobody visited him - but someone tried to kill me. Luckily, I wasn't lying when I said I can protect myself.

To be clear about my role. I have two teams, one that can track someone, one that can watch someone. Any given night, I can instead have one of those teams protect me.

So I was attacked, but can unfortunately offer no information about the attacker. 

I'd like to see what Chirbo says - but I'm inherently suspicious of Tarkenton still. Celina ran to his aid when we were first accusing him. My flavour message for Celina ended up being accurate, so I'm a bit suspicious that Tarkenton was feeding us a lie.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • So based on the end-of-day reveal of Celina's char, where it was highlighted that Szilard was radicalized, I think there are three possibilities: one is that I was on the nose about the anti-bomb stuff; second is that this is US vs Soviets with Szilard being radicalized from the get-go, along with either Soviet spies or other radicalized scientists making up the mafia; third being that the radicalism is something applied during the game by the mafia, and that Szilard was converted during the game and other players have possibly had the same thing happen to them. I suppose a possible option four would be a combination of 1 and 3, but I'm not sure if the game is large enough for that to make sense?

Also, someone went rifling through my office while I was out of the room last night I will find you and feed you to my cuttlefish . >(
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Oops, got distracted while trying to post so very slowly on my phone. I think option two is probably most likely, with Szilard having been assigned mafia side due to his active actions in e.g. trying to prevent the bombing of Japan, but I'm not willing to discount option 3 or 4. I'm skeptical about it being simply pro vs anti bomb now, though, based on the radicalization flavor text.
    Oh my gosh, I didn't even think about radicalization being a cult type thing! :O
    I have student conferences all day but have stuff I wish to discuss. I am gonna sneak read this thread between students so don't worry I am here, just posting later.

Seconding that Tark smells fishy to me tho. More to come in the afternoon when I am not typing on phone!
    Daraius said:
  • Speaking of suspicious people, we've got some really quiet ones this game. Allyrianne and Tremula are both being very hush-hush. I might be influenced by her mafia sneak attack from Sylandra's game, but Allyrianne particularly is piquing my suspicion.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    This again? Lynch me and be done with it if we're doing this. I haven't lied once this game. I haven't fired anyone or tried to since the first night.
    And hey, since it's cards on the table time apparently, I'm Groves.
    Aw shit! I like Groves. Noooo. :( And he makes sense as the vig.

[/goes back to students]
    Daraius said:
    For the folks whose powers we supposedly know, wouldn't mind seeing some name claims.
    As it is, Allyriane, Tremula, Ieptix and Usharra are all on my potential radical list. Mostly silence from the first three, and Usharra is giving off Reign-Synkarin vibes to me on a gut hunch level.
  • Er. I fail to see how I've been mostly silent.
    Day two, single post, no vote, despite sounding as if you buy into my guilt. Also, you're an admin. I mean, that's strike two right there :)
  • Ieptix, actually, is the first one to bring up that Szilard could have been scum because of his anti-bomb leanings, which looks to be what turned the tide against Celina the previous day, as up until that point, Chirbo had far more votes. I think (unless he got recruited somehow) Ieptix is most likely safe.

I, admittedly, have been mostly silent for reasons largely beyond my control, and am also suffering from the heady heights of success of last game.

I'm guessing the Secretary of War may have attempted to block me last night, although I had the credentials to go on the trip I had scheduled. Or I may be totally misinterpreting my flavour text.

Personally I'm inclined to suspect, due to the role divisions, that Celina started out the game radicalized.

Currently I'm most suspicious of Tremula, and Lavinya, largely by process of elimination, but also partly because Lavinya, at least, was likely blocked the first night (yes?) and no one else has seen anything remotely like what Tremula described (or admitted to doing so). Lavinya also seemed to have been subtly pushing for Chirbo for a good part of the Chirbo v Celina day, and only switched in time to be the last vote on Celina.

Celina was very strongly in defense of Tarkenton the first day, which was interesting. I don't know if that's significant.
  • Day 2, y'all (well, not -you-, but I digress) pushed through the lynch before I could ever get home to post anything more. Iirc my post was also very non-committal regarding your guilt or innocence, but rather laid out possible courses of action in either case.

I'm also going to go out and claim the majority of the credit for the Celina lynch, since I was the person who gave legitimizing context to Chirbo's claims about her scumminess and pushed the voting in her direction. I suppose you could make some convoluted argument that, were I mafia, we could have just shoved Celina under the metaphorical bus to deflect attention, but given that there was no danger to the mafia otherwise (Chirbo was under threat, but his unlynchability is plausble and he is almost certainly town), it seems like that would be a very silly choice to make.

Getting back on track, however, I do agree that at least one of Allyriane, Tremula, or Ushaara is scum. If we assume that Celina was mafia to start (and there isn't some cult thing going on), then we probably have three mafia in the game. Celina was one. I am not scum. Based on claims, I'm willing to believe that none of the other reveals are scum; as Ushaara did mention earlier, the historical context that fit with Celina/Szilard doesn't really work well with the others. One of those three is the Minister of War, who would be town, leaving the other two to be scum. We know who the MoW is, per Synkarin (though we haven't released that info yet). Assuming a fixed mafia and no cult, I think it might be possible to pull off a win this next night; we can lynch one of the baddies today, and Tartar Sauce up there can vigkill the second. This is, of course, predicated on revealing the MoW. Or, or, we can lynch one, vigkill a second, and lynch the third tomorrow if we happen to guess incorrectly. We have the numbers, and at least one night kill left, even if they were to remove Tark in the night.

Of course, if my number estimates for the mafia are off, or if there is a cult in play, this could backfire. Mafia (the game, not the faction), why you so tricksy!

Also I'm going to feed you to my cuttlefish.