Lack of Raves VI: Rave Today, Tweet Tomorrow

Comments

• A rave for everyone who has been involved in the events in Hallifax - both players and admin. It has been great so far and I can't wait to see where it goes.
  • Well it's science, so we know the one place it won't possibly go is wrong
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Rancoura said:
    I haven't had a chance to clean up logs yet, but I want to send out a giant, shadowy, everlasting rave to @Viravain and every other @Admin and @Ephemeral who are orchestrating these Glomdoring events. Last night was tragic, and I'm a little heartbroken to say the least (goodbye to 10 years, my first MUD guild, and however many years as GL and GA previously)... but I'm excited to help build our new factions into something amazing.

I send my eternal love throughout the ages, Shadowdancers.  The Coven of Night will always live in memory.
    This was how I felt, too. The moment the Lodge fell apart in ruin and GWHO didn't work anymore, it was a hard moment. But the event has been so good, and I'm excited for what's to come, that I know it'll be okay :) .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Good fights today!  Frustrating at times, but I look forward to the days when this ish is balanced :D It's going to feel like a breeze!

Shoutout to all the gritty buddies that stuck with it today.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • edited April 2017
    Yea not being able to counter a melder makes things super hard. We were sitting on the domoth for like a while with your meld just still there and nothing we could do to counter it.

EDIT: There was an idea a while about about letting folks do a long 10 second channel to break melds as like a high/low magic or something ability which would be nice for occasions like this where people can kinda guerrilla meld the place.
  • SazSaz
    edited April 2017
    I'm against that idea. Melds are already getting hit every month. What's the goal of being able to break when you miss the melder, so we can reward people for giving up on the melder spec and going monk?

Haven't people already done that and isn't that a portion of why you are missing the melder?

I struggle to believe that this period has been "hard" on any levels with or without melds. If anything, it just feels like you guys have had a fun month and we will see how further it continues this way, now that the "knee-jerk reactions" season has slowly timed out.
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • Winning is so hard. Give them credit where it's due, Saz.
    email: martin@pharanyx.net
    Discord: Pharanyx#4357
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited April 2017
    Why not make it a function of Trueground?

Add it to the skill, requiring a 12 second channel  (maybe lower the channel if you have more skill in Environment), costs 5 power  (on use, not resolution of the channelling). Melder gets a warning when it is started:

You feel Taer's will attempt to overcome your own at *room name*, and your control starts to slip away.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Wrong thread, folks.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Ianir said:
    Wrong thread, folks.
    Ianir rave for fixing my bug!

Sorry for being an annoying shit to get your attention... it worked tho. :D Thank you for fixing my cord so that I could make it a Tam. <3
  • *hopes his bug is resolved soon*
    The deep, rumbling voice of Weiwae says from within your heart, "I am so happy to hear of your progress, and I thank you for bringing my influence over more shards of My Brother Tae."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Portius said:
    Well, that was an entertaining event. And A+ choice for the guild removal procedure for Halli.

Yeah. I know I didn't say much, but I really enjoyed the method and general pace. Fit quite nicely for me.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    A minute after I logged in to try catch some of the event.... visitors. Shoo, shoo, I say!

(hope someone logged what happened Sents?)
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Ushaara said:
    A minute after I logged in to try catch some of the event.... visitors. Shoo, shoo, I say!

(hope someone logged what happened Sents?)
    Everyone voted to disband. Also, Cririk was there.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    That's okay. I logged in after it already happened.
  • Saz said:
    I'm against that idea. Melds are already getting hit every month. What's the goal of being able to break when you miss the melder, so we can reward people for giving up on the melder spec and going monk?

Haven't people already done that and isn't that a portion of why you are missing the melder?

I struggle to believe that this period has been "hard" on any levels with or without melds. If anything, it just feels like you guys have had a fun month and we will see how further it continues this way, now that the "knee-jerk reactions" season has slowly timed out.

Well I thought the knee jerk reaction to monks had settled down already so I'm not too worried about that. The Idea with non melders being able to break was well melders are the only class that need another melder to counter in any way.  

Pits as well I guess but the idea to give folks a slow way to clear pits as well was suggested as well. 

But yea if we'd have had a melder to fortify down and control the area the fight would have gone much differently.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited April 2017
    You don't /need/ a melder to counter a melder any more than you /need/ a bard to counter a bard. To be honest, I'm super ambivalent about the trueground-breaking possibility. For me, that's a really tough decision, at least.

EDIT: Imagine if every single person in the game had the option to fugue a bardsong, and play octave tacet (no need to gust or move the octaver).

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited April 2017
    Raves for the Mag admin and tonight's fun. I still wish Shaddus could have "joined" the Cogs :(

Lesser raves to Ixion's boot, Rideta's patience, and Vatul's attempted seduction.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited April 2017
    Meld vs bard is not a fair comparison at all.

Even now after the bazooka nerfs that were crappy ideas, melders are still in a wildly different place. Bards are always valuable as independent factors, if you nerf melds hard enough (like you're doing) they begin to exist only as counters to other melds. You cannot make melding miserable for melders, or you force players to pick up part of the meta to win despite it being generally unrewarding to play. If melders can be countered by non melders, and as a melders you have a low potnential to kill anyone and a high potential to die often, you will not draw a healthy melder community. 

I know I don't play right now but I hope @Ianir will listen to the advice of one of the most bitched about (and maybe I'm an egomaniac, but I'll say most notoriously successful) melders in modern Lusternia. Being the slave melder is not enjoyable for anyone. Existing solely to counter or prevent other melds is not enjoyable. "BREAK NOW," ad infinum is not fun unless you're scoring kills in the process. Unlike pit warriors, a melder without a meld is reduced to pointing their staff. Also unlike a pit warrior, a melders suffers from crippling planar restrictions to common fighting areas like ethereal or opposing elemental planes.

The most recent report absent of any improvements to how melders can enjoy their role was absolute shit. And I say that as the same person who called that envoy their favorite lusternian ever on these forums. I understand the problems with melds, probably better than most, but the solution can't  solely focus on non melders. People have immense amounts of time and money invested into melders, your solutions have to be considerate of that. You have to do better at taking into consideration the people that play and want to play melders when entertaining these changes.

Nerfing shit to the point of being passive effect babysitters without any increased ability to score kills is unfair, short sighted, and ill informed. I'm available for input if you want it. TAs winning as active melders are rare, should listen to us.

Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • Fyler said:

Even now after the bazooka nerfs that were crappy ideas, melders are still in a wildly different place. Bards are always valuable as independent factors, if you nerf melds hard enough (like you're doing) they begin to exist only as counters to other melds. You cannot make melding miserable for melders, or you force players to pick up part of the meta to win despite it being generally unrewarding to play. If melders can be countered by non melders, and as a melders you have a low potnential to kill anyone and a high potential to die often, you will not draw a healthy melder community. 

I know I don't play right now but I hope @Ianir will listen to the advice of one of the most bitched about (and maybe I'm an egomaniac, but I'll say most notoriously successful) melders in modern Lusternia. Being the slave melder is not enjoyable for anyone. Existing solely to counter or prevent other melds is not enjoyable. "BREAK NOW," ad infinum is not fun unless you're scoring kills in the process. Unlike pit warriors, a melder without a meld is reduced to pointing their staff. Also unlike a pit warrior, a melders suffers from crippling planar restrictions to common fighting areas like ethereal or opposing elemental planes.

The most recent report absent of any improvements to how melders can enjoy their role was absolute shit. And I say that as the same person who called that envoy their favorite lusternian ever on these forums. I understand the problems with melds, probably better than most, but the solution can't  solely focus on non melders. People have immense amounts of time and money invested into melders, your solutions have to be considerate of that. You have to do better at taking into consideration the people that play and want to play melders when entertaining these changes.

Nerfing shit to the point of being passive effect babysitters without any increased ability to score kills is unfair, short sighted, and ill informed. I'm available for input if you want it. 

Preach it!

Image result for preach gif
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • edited April 2017
    Also I'm drunk IRL so idgaf

and @Crek is my BFF
  • Yea meldings in a weird place. Its pretty strong and required for large group combat but it does just add a level of boredom to fights.

Lots of big fights are lets spend 5 mins breaking the enemy meld and then 1 min actually fighting. Melds could do with a rework to make them not as hugely powerful and vital to group combat but also more dynamic and fun for not just the melder but everyone fighting.
  • Ianir said:
    You know, I had something written in response, but then I realised we're still on the same page as the last time I said this is not the thread for balance discussion.

So... I'm just going to rave about my tea. Yay, roasted oolong with bitter melon.
    Psh. Echinacea and grilled banana tea is where it's at!
    email: martin@pharanyx.net
    Discord: Pharanyx#4357
    edited April 2017
    Fyler said:

Nerfing shit to the point of being passive effect babysitters without any increased ability to score kills is unfair, short sighted, and ill informed. I'm available for input if you want it. TAs winning as active melders are rare, should listen to us.

I'll always be a melder! And that means someone in the south that doesn't like melding at all (because it sucks (unless you use the widely available tools to just kill me instead as a much more functional class)) has to be one too! It's my last laugh. For now.

Raves for an awesome event in Hallifax.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    IT'S ME
    Shuyin said:
    IT'S ME
    It's you!

• edited April 2017
    Ianir said:
    You know, I had something written in response, but then I realised we're still on the same page as the last time I said this is not the thread for balance discussion.

So... I'm just going to rave about my tea. Yay, roasted oolong with bitter melon.
    Shrug city. If you had something written in response, be it on this thread or another, I think it would've been valuable feedback. You seem to be calling the shots, and the players seem to respond well to your insight. 

"I had a response but nvm lol," seems less impactful.  People care, my job appears to be going from commission to salary in the next few months so if i may have to time to come back and spawn a new breed of complaints, but I feel like this could be resolved as is.

Moving threads appears to be a fairly easy exercise for admin.