Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

edited July 2016 in Mafia Hideout
We all live beneath the stars. Let us hope they don't decide to fall down.

Welcome to Night Vale!

Listeners, before I move into the news, there's something I have to take care of first. You see, when I stepped into the studio just now, there was a strange envelope sitting on my desk. The air about it seemed to shimmer as though it was incredibly warm, but it seems cool to the touch. Now that I've seen it, though, I can't get it out of my sight. The geometry of the room shifts every time I move my eyes so that it remains locked in the center of my field of vision, even if my eyes are closed. There is a Post-It note stuck to it, telling me to read the paper contained in the envelope aloud on the air. So, I guess I'll go ahead and do that. Let's see...

Citizens of Night Vale, today marks the beginning of the first and last annual Night Vale Festival of Masquerades and Lies. The rules for the Festival are:

1. Votes MUST be in bold to count. (ex. Vote Othero)
2. Once a majority has been reached, the day ends. Anything that happens after a final vote will not happen, including unvotes to bring the target below the minimum threshold.
3. You are not allowed to post in the thread during the night phases
4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.
5. Once you are eliminated, you are not allowed to post in the thread during the day phase unless your role explicitly allows this.
6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM. 
7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.
8. If you go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. (Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me for a waitlist!)
9. You're not allowed to edit your posts. Doublepost instead if you want to clarify something.
10. You must be sportsmanlike. If you are rude or inflammatory to the point that the game ceases to be enjoyable for the rest of the players, I reserve the right to modvig you out of the game. Mafia may be a game about emotional manipulation and deceit, but it's still a game! Have fun with it. But most importantly, be respectful.
11. The game will end when either the town or the mafia have reached their victory condition.
12. Dayphases will last no longer than a RL week. If seven days go by without a lynch, the Nightphase will immediately begin.
13. Nightphases will last no longer than 48 hours. If night actions are not delivered at the end of the night phase, it will be read as no action.

Participants:
1) Sylandra
2) Silvanus
3) Synkarin - Erika, killed night 1
4) Ssaliss
5) Lavinya - Dana Cardinal, executed day 2
6) Tremula - Celest Star Council, Mafia, killed night 4
7) Krackenor
8) Rolsand - Leann Hart, Serial Killer, lynched day 3
9) Falmiis - Serenwilde Moonhart Council, killed night 4
10) Cyna - Gaudiguch Freedom Council, Mafia, killed night 3
11) Cen
12) Ushaara
13) Cyndarin - Hallifax Board Member, Mafia, lynched day 3
14) Melali - Tamika Flynn, killed night 3
15) Ileein - Carlos, killed night 1
16) Ayisdra - Glomdoring Shadow Council, Mafia, killed night 2

Interns (Back-ups):
1) Dylara
2) Cyndarin
3) Tremula
4) Thul
5) Othero

If you're unsure about how to play mafia, check this wiki, starting with this page, for the game mechanics. Have fun!

... and then it's signed by all of the City Council members in exactly the same position at the bottom of the stationery. I'm not sure what any of this means, but I don't believe I am in a position to question the City Council on the matter. By the way, the envelope and Post-It note both vanished as soon as I finished the reading, and the letter is just hanging in the air in the exact center of the room. They were all in my hand until suddenly they weren't. Anyway, on to the news.

All across Night Vale this morning, citizens awoke to find that they were utterly unable to recognize one another. Everyone seems to know who they themselves are, but the identies of everyone else are completely unknown. Instead, it seems that everyone has been somehow assigned a completely generic and meaningless role, both in name and physical form. Confusion is rampant through the city, and all business and personal functions in Night Vale have come to a standstill, with no one able to verify that who they're speaking with is actually who they say they are. Even our government officials, the City Council apparently being the exception, have been consumed by this anonymizing force. Hopefully soon we'll figure out what exactly is going on.

In other news, the radio station received quite a few voicemails last night, all telling of strange goings-on in downtown Night Vale during the dark hours of the morning. The reports aren't completely clear, but they all share in common a mention of loud chanting echoing from the depths of City Hall, followed by a group of unknown persons fleeing the building. No one is sure who these apparent interlopers are, but I'll bet they're somehow involved with whatever seems to be ailing our fair burg. More on these stories as they develop...
7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.

Comments

• It is now Day 1.

16 participants remain.

It will take 9 votes to declare a lynch.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Greetings, fellow generic and unrecognizable citizens of Night Vale. This should prove amusing.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I don't know. It seems that the City Council might know who we are. Perhaps we try and find one of them - maybe they can help end this odd event. Or maybe they are the cause of this. Or maybe I misheard the radio.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I should really listen to some Night Vale. Ahem. Also I had the brief panicky moment when I saw Ieptix had sent me a message wherein my brain went 'oh no what have I done???' then I remembered mafia. 

So yes, I'm starting totally on the ball!

• FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    Morning folks.
  • Morning all.  I really need to listen to some Night Vale too - @Ieptix can you recommend links, etc?  
  • Ellowyn said:
    Morning all.  I really need to listen to some Night Vale too - @Ieptix can you recommend links, etc?  

Their Youtube Channel has all the episodes, aside from the live show recordings. Otherwise they are on iTunes and whatever podcast repositories are out there.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Hello fellow scary people!

Team S is looking pretty strong here, but watch out for Hoaracle shenanigans. I remember those Dreaming events.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Hello
  • Checking in~! As it's day 1, our options are what? Random lynch, no lynch, or wait it out?
  • Cen said:
    Checking in~! As it's day 1, our options are what? Random lynch, no lynch, or wait it out?
    Both are usually considered valid strategies, but (I think) the general consensus on these here forums tends to be anti-first-day lynch, short of someone doing something stupid and revealing themselves to be a murder cultist. Which I don't think we can count on.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Hey Hey Ho Ho

I'm here, yo

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Hello, hello. Also present and accounted for.
    Is there anyone playing who actually has an idea of the theme?
  • Not a one
    I'll be versed in it by the end of the week I hope! ;;)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Hello!

Do we have any information on the Population in our fair town? Like, possible numbers, possible roles, possible impossibilities?
  • Well, we could always just lynch Luce and get it out of the way.

Oh, wait, he's not in this game... Darn, there goes that plan.

Anyway, I'm here.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Melali said:
    Hello!

Do we have any information on the Population in our fair town? Like, possible numbers, possible roles, possible impossibilities?

(Quick note for new players: Mafia is not werewolf. The roles, numbers, etc. are all hidden and must be sussed out during game play. There are many, many possibilities of things that could exist, and a new game always has a very unknown structure, potential twists, and Fun in the dwarf-fortress flavour. I will avoid speculation / giving out more details as I am not playing, but checking out the Mafia wiki would be a great idea!)
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Not that it really narrows anything down, but here's the Characters page from the Night Vale wiki. After reading my own role, plus one or two others, I'm really no clearer on what, if anything will really be relevant information with how strange our town is.
  • After reading through the wiki a bit, there are a couple of possible scum factions, but the one that (to me) stands out the most is, needless to say, StrexCorp. I mean, it's a mysterious private corporation that also runs another town. They also worship The Smiling God, which is "a being of terrible power and ceaseless appetite". Granted, I've really only read the wiki, not listened to the podcasts, so if someone who has more experience with it knows more, please chime in!
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I am fine with a no lynch scenario, it is something I prefer to happen in a forum mafia game.

I know some people like to play the numbers or can argue stats, but my preference is to at least let every player get to the night portion so they may have a chance to use their powers.

After reading into my role and listening to a couple relevant Podcasts, I think a lot of roles are going to be on the line between town and scum where you can feel they go either way.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    I, too, am fine with a no lynch for the reasons Silvanus stated. It's more fun that way for more people.
    Daraius said:
  • Oof, long night after drinking with the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (jk, it was just @Estarra), but in any case, Hoaracle reportin' in. 

I am all right with no lynch too.
  • While I'm generally not against no-lynch in any way, I'd rather extend day one a little bit. Rushing through it to get to the night phase will really only benefit the scum; town wins by information, scum wins by lack of information. Yes, that's rather brutally simplified, but eh.
    How long do we have? A week? Wonder if it's possible for enough of us to listen to the podcasts then report back.
    Daraius said:
  • Well, 30 minutes per podcast (rounding up), ~90 pods means 45 hours. Sure, that's doable in a week, but I'm not going to be the one to do it.
    Oh I don't mean the whole thing, just enough to feel oriented.
    Daraius said:
  • Oh. Yeah, absolutely. Delaying the night for a few days will really only benefit town, IMHO.
  • Vote:nobody