Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Well, at least we know that Cecil has to be extremely important and is probably someone, and that person should remain hidden.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    That was so sad Ieptix, being him back. Q~Q
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Ileein wouldn't appear as Cecil; if someone watched him when he sent a message to Ieptix, they'd see him as targetting Cecil.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Oof, unlucky night for us. Protector and investigator, yikes. I get the impression that Cecil is another player, as otherwise sending messages to Ieptix would be kind of a moot power.

But yes! Questions for the Glow Cloud, I am happy to answer them. 

1) Raining dead animals was a one-off power. I cannot use it again. All it does (as you can see) is end a day without a lynch. I am of the opinion that lynches are good for town and for gathering information, so the only day I thought I'd use this is Day 1, when people are generally agreed to a No Lynch. The only other uses I could think of would be stopping a lynch I believe to be unhelpful, but I felt it was more useful to do it on Day 1.

My reason for this is outlined below.

2) We don't 100% know who we're up against this game. If I wasn't playing the Glow Cloud, and I didn't know that the Glow Cloud was town, I might believe the Glow Cloud is our enemy in this game. So eventually, we'd wind up in a mass claim, I'd be forced to either bluff or claim Glow Cloud, and let's be honest: both options would be terrible. I'd receive a lot of heat and attention, and late game that would be pretty detrimental to town because it'd be wasted time. Much better to discuss this now and see how the cards play out, when town is allowed to still make mistakes and move forward.

3) It's pretty much a terrible idea for a mafia to do what I did yesterday, which is out myself as a controversial role in a game where there's still a lot of uncertainty. But as a townie, my motives are different. Normally Night 1 is a mess of people making uneducated guesses, not knowing where to work from, etc, especially on these forums where we don't have Day 1 lynches. But using my power gives town at least a tiny bit of information to work from. (Admittedly I'd sort of hoped the investigator would look into me afterwards, but ohwell. RIP @Ileein.)

4) I wanted to see how people reacted. Early dayphases are days when people can talk freely, without the constraints of earlier patterns that players can pay attention to and suss out contradictions. I've given everyone something big to talk about and discuss and theorize. Even if this culminates in lynching me, this information will be useful for town in the long run, because we can see who hopped on that train and why. I'm in this for the long haul.

5) Powerwise, I can do more but don't think it's necessary to outline my powers at this point in time, except to say I'm more comfortable getting attention than most players would be as a result. Which is one reason I can make a high risk play like I did yesterday.

So that's that! Any other questions?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Okay. To recap Cecil (or at least how I understood it): Ileein could send Ieptix (or Cecil) a message. Ieptix would then include that message in the start-of-day post. For instance, if Ileein were to find a scum, he'd then (the next night) be able to send his finds to Ieptix, who would then give us all that message. I'd really rather splendidly solve one of the issues of being an investigator; you have to out yourself in order to out the scum. It's just a shame it never really came into play.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Ok that is a HUGE blow for us. And obviously we have multiple threats in the night. I swear to god, if one of those was a vigilante....I don't know what I'll do, shriek madly or something?

• Okay, I spent a bunch of time combing the WTNV wiki and I'm pretty convinced of two things.

1. The hatchet killing was most likely a vig kill by Leann Hart. http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Leann_Hart

2. Despite my earlier post re: baddies, it turns out being townie is actually a distinct possibility for the Glow Cloud. It apparently decided to raise its child in Night Vale and is a loving parent. http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Glow_Cloud's_child

Yeah, I'd guess either we have:

1) Mafia and SK.
    2) Mafia and trigger-happy vig.
    Or the unusual but still possible 3rd option,
    3) Two mafia factions.

1 & 2 seem more likely, imho.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    A trigger happy vigilante would be the norm for our mafia game.

I will say that Ieptix did say that this is a power intensive game, is this the work of someone using their power heavy actions?

What I am trying to say is that I am capable of killing at night, one time only, and this was not me, shockingly. I didn't kill anyone this night and how many trigger happy vigs can there be beyond the scope of me?

2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Hm, that is odd. Sometimes I've seen game set-ups with multiple vig powers that are just distributed differently (a nightkill vs a daykill, etc), but two night vigilantes might be strange. In the Reign game, I did have two night vigilantes, but one was limited and had a secondary power. So I don't know really. It's not impossible, but it is unexpected.

The hatchet is a nice clue that @Cen picked up on. Is it possible that Leann Hart might be part of another faction with their own win condition, besides Strexcorp? Asking the Nightvale savvy folks.
    Daraius said:
    I'll theorize for a moment that whoever our hatchet-wielding friend is, they have more than one nightkill they can use. Otherwise why waste it on night 1, when you're the most limited on information?
    Daraius said:
  • Hmm. Well, Leann is anti-digital media. And what we're all doing here now is digital, which could give her a kind of meta-cause to hatchet us all... So maybe she's an SK? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here.

In Town of Salem (my only other mafia experience), if the vig kills a townie, they off themselves out of guilt. Is that a common theme in other mafia games? And if so, if another hatchet killing turns up after the next night phase, we could safely rule out the vigilante idea.
    Nah, in most Lusternia mafia games, vigs don't die if they target townies. So vigs are a very much a Your Mileage May Vary role depending on who is playing the vigilante and how good their guesses are. It can easily become an anti-town role if played recklessly.
    Daraius said:
  • Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the deaths didn't actually reveal what Ileein's alignment was. Or did Ieptix just forget to include it? I am, sure he is an investigator so he is likely town, but could there be a non-town investigator?
  • The norm is that vigilantes can kill towns without any ill effects (other than town losing a town).

• Ayisdra said:
    Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the deaths didn't actually reveal what Ileein's alignment was. Or did Ieptix just forget to include it? I am, sure he is an investigator so he is likely town, but could there be a non-town investigator?
    Non-town investigators are relatively common, at least around here. During the monster mafia, there weren't even any real town-aligned investigators.
  • Ayisdra said:
    Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the deaths didn't actually reveal what Ileein's alignment was. Or did Ieptix just forget to include it? I am, sure he is an investigator so he is likely town, but could there be a non-town investigator?
    That was an error, I missed a line when I c/p'd the role.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Someone aeoned me. I'm pretty sure it was that Cyndarin intern.
  • Could you be a bit more specific about being aeoned?
  • I tried to act and found myself aeoned.
    Would you consider it a roleblock? Or did it read more like a jailing?
    Daraius said:
  • I'm also trying to pin down some ideas for the other killing. Three puncture wounds in the neck seems like a really distinctive MO, but I'm having trouble finding anything concrete on the wiki. Possibilities so far include...

...An Antique. They're monsters that turn other people into Antiques via biting, like werewolves. But there's no mention of them actually killing anybody, so it feels unlikely.

...the monster of Franchia. Cecil describes claws at his back and breath at his neck. Seems like a bit of a stretch. http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Franchia

...Throat Spiders. This is an illness (which sounds super gross btw) and not a character, so again, a long shot that doesn't really fit.

I still haven't listened to too many episodes, so if there are any more NV savvy players with ideas, please share!
  • Falmiis said:
    Someone aeoned me. I'm pretty sure it was that Cyndarin intern.
    Feel like I missed something. What makes you think it was Cyndarin?
    (Think Falmiis is kidding, Cyndarin isn't playing!)
    Daraius said:
  • Falmiis said:
    I tried to act and found myself aeoned.
    It specifically stated that you were "aeoned", or is that just your description of it? If so, what actually happened?

• Sylandra said:
    (Think Falmiis is kidding, Cyndarin isn't playing!)
  • It didn't specifically say it was aeon but it sure looked like aeon to me. My guess is that it is a delayed roleblock.
    I'm not sure I understand what makes a delayed roleblock different than a normal roleblock? Was it the flavor text that looked like aeon?
    Daraius said:
  • ... Seriously. Be. More. Specific. If it didn't say aeoned, don't say aeoned. Instead, give us the highlights. A lot of information can be lost when information is filtered several times. Be as specific as to what it looked like as possible. Your idea of what looks "aeon'y" might not coincide with my idea of what that looks like.