Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Bumpity bump on my StrexCorp mention question!

Right now, @Melali being the only person saying that StrexCorp are strongly hinted as mafia in her role-sheet is raising flags for me, on the basis of no hint of a potential mafia faction in my own, Synkarin's or Ileein's roles, and three points making a pattern. Since no one else has come forward, I'm inclined to believe that this is also the case for at least another few roles. And thus Melali likely has a significantly different role to vanilla town.

As I said before, I'm not convinced on StrexCorp being the mafia and so my thinking is coloured by that, but if they're not the mafia, further obfuscation by the real mafia which leads town to believe StrexCorp = mafia would be a good play for them. The sooner we resolve just what the threat against town is, the better.

Since someone has to start a vote at some point, I'll kick us off.

Vote Melali.

Worst case scenario is Melali is town, but confirms that StrexCorp are the mafia.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Interesting. Looking over my PM, I have no mention of StrexCorp either.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Cyna said:
    I'm sorry. I don't really know. I'm still getting used to everything.

I got a message saying I win with the town. That's good, right?
    It's best to keep your power/side a secret.
  • First off, I'm male. I know the name is feminine and don't take offense, but I thought I should make that clear.

More importantly, I am certainly town! If I wasn't town, why would I try to stand out by offering that piece of information? I'm just trying to identify which characters the Mafia are, so we can speculate on their abilities! If necessary, I will say exactly who I am, which should explain why StrexCorp features on my description.

However! Knowing which character faction plays the Mafia only helps marginally to identify what the Mafia can do. It doesn't actually help to identify who is the Mafia. So killing a townie to identify which faction is not a good deal.

There are three ways to determine if I am telling the truth: for me to be lynched, be killed in the night, or for me to role claim and demonstrate my ability. Of those three, role-claiming is obviously the best for me, which is why I would rather do that than get lynched. After that is for me to be killed by the Mafia, since that means that they used a kill on someone with only a middling power. Being killed by the serial killer is a little less advantageous for the town. And then being lynched is the least advantageous, since that would mean the town wasted a chance to kill Mafia.
  • And, actually, StrexCorp is not mentioned in my PM either. My character is just opposed to them, and since I'm town, I mentally put StrexCorp as Mafia.
  • Sorry for being confusing, but I honestly misremembered my Character Description. 
    Hrmwrm... I'll hold my vote on you for now, lest I attract flip-flopping vote accusations. Though in any case, it's 8 to lynch, so it depends on everyone else as to whether they think you're shady.

But as I said, an attempt at obfuscation could be the reason you volunteered it!

(apologies for the misgendering!)
  • I don't know. At first Melai said their role very clearly started that Strexcorp was the mafia and he is going back on that saying he 'misremembered' the 'very clearly' part. This kinda sounds like they assumed what other roles would say based on their own. Maybe Melali is part of StrexCorp. It just seems odd that they said 'it is very clear to me that Strexcorp is mafia' and then take it back unless they were either mafia and knows that faction or has investigative powers in which they learned the faction (and outed themselves having such power by stating 'Strexcorp is mafia')
    I'm not against voting Melali, because there are only so many options to vote for, and only so much information to work from. Ushaara's reasoning is as good as any at this point in the game.

I can't tell if Melali is being earnest in the post above or if he's a mafioso who tripped up in their admission that Strexcorp is mafia, though. More likely, Melali is town and just jumped too ahead of himself with theory-crafting. But the possibility of a mafia slip-up is there.

The question is if we have any better options for a lynch today.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Melali said:
    Let me add a bit more:

Synkarin/Erika: killed by three puncture wounds through the neck -- http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Do_Not_Approach_the_Dog_Park This page has a poem written by the angel Erika that uses the word "neck". I'm not sure how significant this is, if it is at all.

Ileein/Carlos's power also revealed the existence of tracker(s) in the game.

Also, the flavor text for my role very clearly hinted that StrexCorp was the mafia here; thus, I agree that ?/Leann is a serial killer or some other third party.

So, a list of powers:
    Confirmed: Protector, Investigator/Messenger, Tracker, Day-ender
    Most Likely: Vigilante, Serial Killer, 
    Claimed: Role-delay, One-shot Vigilante
    Looking for: Bus Driver

The bold is what we're currently examining. It does seem a bit like a 180 to take, particularly in the span of less than 24 hours.
    Daraius said:
  • Hmm. Okay then, let me role-claim, since I don't really want to go AFK and come back to find myself lynched.

I am Tamika Flynn. Roughly paraphrasing my character description, I am a survivor of the Summer-Reading Program, I killed a librarian, and I fight those who stand against Night Vale. I fight with parkour and a slingshot. And I win with the town.

Now that you know who I am, it might be more understandable why I think that StrexCorp are the Mafia. Reading the wiki page for Tamika, her main thing is being the leader of the anti-StrexCorp resistance movement. I mentally combined all the information about Tamika and my role together.

Just to be clear: I still think that StrexCorp is the mafia; it's just that the text that indicates that they're my enemy wasn't in the PM, but on the wiki.
    Hmm, that's plausible to me. Though I'm still not 100% convinced on StrexCorp being the mafia.

Unvote.

Now the question is how to move forward from here?

@Lavinya and @Krackenor haven't chimed in much yet. Curious what their thoughts are.
    Daraius said:
  • I'm interested in the instant collusion between @Sylandra and @Kiradawea over Rolsand's guilt on no evidence whatsoever. You can't imagine anyone being a trigger happy vig, Kira? That's rather over the top given the games on this forum. I find thee suspicious and see no reason not to Vote: Kiradawea and FOS: Sylandra.
    You'll notice I didn't say that Rolsand was the vig or necessarily guilty, just that I understood Kira's reasoning behind her post and her thought process. And it was a valid point that we had players among us who could very well choose to play trigger happy vig.

I agreed with Kira because her reasoning made sense to me. Your vote on her does surprise me in its swiftness, however. Is her commentary on Rolsand your only reason for voting Kiradawea?
    Daraius said:
  • I did notice, but I also know that you're tricksy. And I think that somebody accusing another of murder most foul with no actual evidence is reason enough to cast a vote.
    I'm actually less inclined to think Leann is a vig due to Ileein being targeted, as I've said before. I'm currently operating under the assumption we have two threats to town at night, likely a serial killer and a mafia team. Trigger happy vigs are more than possible, of course, but I like to assume people are playing at their best and killing deliberately rather than whimsically, at least until proven otherwise.

But I was conceding that there were players present who might pick someone at random despite my thoughts above, which is what I took from Kira's post.
    Daraius said:
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Sorry busy busy. Will catch up and post properly soon!

• We shouldn't rush to any random lynchs yet.
  • Okay let me catch up, here.

First up, there's no mention of StrexCorp in my role sheet whatsoever. But I don't think that surprises anyone now that Melali's cleared up the confusion, which all seemed reasonable enough to me.

Regarding @Krackenor's lynch, I don't think he's wrong to be suspicious, but I think lynching might be a bit drastic, and he does seem rather eager. But I happen to agree with what he's saying about the Kira-Syl dynamic.
    Kiradawea said:

Which gives me a hunch that it might've been Rolsand getting vig again. I've seen him get vig before. It's not pretty.

[snip]

The more I think about it, the more I feel that unless Rolsand is the vig (he's the only one I could see do something like this), Ileein's killer is not pro-town.
    To me, taking this and turning it into the far more reasonable statement of, "It has been shown in the past that some personalities exist who might play a trigger-happy vig," is just plain weird. It's like she's playing as Kira's PR team doing clean-up after a controversial interview.

Which brings me to weighing in on the Glow Cloud's questionable alignment. So far, Syl has acted very pro-town, in my opinion. This could just be a show to try and calm our fears after the reveal of her role and day ability, but she's contributed some valuable points and is actively engaged in what's going on instead of just posting wishy-washy stuff like, "Wow what a night phase!"

I don't think she's scum. But I'm not convinced she's town, either. In either case, I think lynching would be a waste. It's unlikely that her night power is overly potent, and we can always off her later if she causes too much mischief.

So then, who to lynch? I'm not opposed to a random lynch. Information is information, and you can learn a lot not just from the role reveal, but also how different people go about the voting process. I'm open to hearing more ideas about it.
  • If we do a random lynch the chances of it going our way is pretty small.
    There's a lot of information the table, @Rolsand, even if it's not conclusive. Who would you lynch based on what we know?
    Daraius said:
  • Tbh I'm not quite sure yet but I think it may be Kira, Cyna, Ushaara and maybe you
  • It's just a hunch but I think that you, Ush and Kira are ready to lynch at any second the same can go for Krackenor.
  • And Cyna could be putting on a little show and be acting like she doesn't quite know how to play.
  • She probably doesn't but if she has ever played vengeance she should know to keep your role/side a secret.
  • And you could also be lieing about your role.
  • It's just weird how you guys are making up a bunch of theories and stuff on the second day.
  • Lying rather
    Possible! I'm unwilling to lynch @Cyna this dayphase because she only just joined in, and regardless of if she's faking it, the truth of the matter is that she is still new to mafia games. I'd like to give her at least one nightphase to figure things out.

I also don't mind lynching. If I did, I wouldn't have used my daypower yesterday; I'd have held onto it for later. I think lynching is the most important tool at town's disposal, and that you can learn a lot from how people lynch and why they lynch. So you're correct in that I'm willing to join a lynch train, if I find it persuasive enough. And you're correct that I think we should lynch today.

I'm not even against lynching @Kiradawea. I think I just have played a lot more mafia games with Kira than most of you. She's unafraid to play aggressively, so it doesn't strike me as unusual behavior on her part. That doesn't mean it isn't unusual or suspicious, though, just that it hasn't registered that way for me yet. If you think she's acting oddly or anti-town, say why. Encourage people to follow your lead. I didn't say @Krackenor was wrong to make his vote; I asked him why he did, to see if he noticed something I didn't.

And it's always possible that I'm lying, of course. But I'm awfully chatty for a liar, so if I trip up on something, you'll be able to see it right away. :)
    Daraius said: