Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Well the other part of why I'm unconvinced on StrexCorp is because as far as I'm aware, every reason for suggesting them as the mafia has come from the wiki and people reading their character backgrounds rather than the game itself.

In the game we have puncture wound killer and a hatchet killer. 100% agree with the Leann as hatchet killer working theory, and to my knowledge she has no affiliation to StrexCorp. Then Telly the Barber as the puncture wound killer seems plausible and again not StrexCorp!
  • Well, we'll see when the first one falls, I guess. When I brought it up in day one, they just felt like the most likely culprits. I'm still not convinced it's not StrexCorp, but yeah, could very well be some other group.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    So what comes next? It sounds like everyone has given their night messages, or at least everyone has contributed what they're willing to contribute. We've speculated on the mafia and what the second kill could mean. Figuring out who to lynch seems to be the next order of business, yes?

@Krackenor has sustained his vote on @Kiradawea. Does anyone support that lynch, or should we look elsewhere?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I'll repeat that the two people I'm opposed to lynching presently are @Cyna, for being new, and @Falmiis, for clarification on how his aeoning block works tonight.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Honestly, the ones I'm most suspicious about at this point is Falmiis for his evasions earlier regarding what was done to him, and Meliali, for his "misremembering" his role. They're both rather weak suspicions though, and definitely nothing I'm going to push for. Other than those, I don't really have any really strong feelings.
  • There was no evasion. I literally forgot that I'm playing with a bunch of people who might not understand how aeon works and wouldn't understand why I made the connections that I did and just said I got aeoned.
  • While it's tempting to vote for Falmiis for the passive aggression in his last post alone, there is one big problem I have with Falmiis being suspicious.

If he's speaking the truth about being "Aeoned" or timewarped or whatever you have it, it means that his night action last nightwas delayed/blocked. Unless he's making this up out of whole cloth (and in that case, why construct Aeoned rather than just "roleblocked"), Falmiis could not have been one of the killers last night.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Okeydoke, I don't know if you're all just playing it safe and not talking a whole lot, or if it's just me being in a rubbish timezone for activity, but that's over 12hrs with not a whole lot new to consider. But I'm relatively happy for my own part with the information gleaned out of today so I'm good with ending the day.

We've one vote on @Kiradawea, and I'm going to go ahead and add another option.

Vote: @Ellowyn

Reasons: Contributed the least information, says she doesn't have an investigative role, so low risk of her being the tracker, and I have a personal prejudice against anyone who even suggests a jester is in play, since it leads to town indecisiveness.

I'm off to bed, so if people think I've been too aggressive/trying to lead town around or whatever and decide that makes me suspicious/vote for me, give me a chance to defend myself before solidifying the lynch. But I hope to see something to go on in the morning!

Vote! Talk! Go!

Nighty night!
  • Ushaara said:
    Okeydoke, I don't know if you're all just playing it safe and not talking a whole lot, or if it's just me being in a rubbish timezone for activity, but that's over 12hrs with not a whole lot new to consider. But I'm relatively happy for my own part with the information gleaned out of today so I'm good with ending the day.

We've one vote on @Kiradawea, and I'm going to go ahead and add another option.

Vote: @Ellowyn

Reasons: Contributed the least information, says she doesn't have an investigative role, so low risk of her being the tracker, and I have a personal prejudice against anyone who even suggests a jester is in play, since it leads to town indecisiveness.

I'm off to bed, so if people think I've been too aggressive/trying to lead town around or whatever and decide that makes me suspicious/vote for me, give me a chance to defend myself before solidifying the lynch. But I hope to see something to go on in the morning!

Vote! Talk! Go!

Nighty night!
    Well, I'm silent partially due the fact that anyone who suggests anything tends to be smacked down for being hyper-aggressive scum. Because clearly, townies sit around waiting for the investigator to come save the day.

But mostly, I've got someone in my scope and I'm working some research to confirm my suspicions. I hope people are done quizzing me about the Rolsand matter, because I'm preparing to take the debate elsewhere.

(Still preparing though, so... y'know. Ask now.)
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Well waiting for the investigator won't do us much good with @Ileein gone, heh. So if that's anyone's working strategy, let's rethink that now.
    Daraius said:
  • The thing is I can't decide on one person.
  • And also Ellowyn isn't active in lusternia or any other mafia games so I doubt she has enough time to say anything or nothing happened to her last night.
  • So the two lunches up right now are on Kira and Ellowyn. Does anyone have another theory or idea of who we can lynch?
  • Lynches
  • Ssaliss said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Ok. A few theories after randomly looking around the wiki: Could our other killer be a vig that is part of the Sheriff's Secret Police, it seems the Police encourages citizens to enforce the law with vigilante justice? Or if there is more of the Secret Police force around, could they be the mafia themselves?
    I'm fairly confident that the Secret Police isn't scum based on my own role. That's all I'll say at this point though.

Something I find odd about this wording. You choose to say Secret Police are not scum based on your own role.

Why would you say 'isn't scum' as opposed to 'is town'?

• Okay. I really need to get to bed, so I can't really keep quiet much longer.

The one I'm looking at is Lavinya. I've been comparing her behaviour during the early game phase of previous games, and I've noticed that she's been active in town's daytime discussions. She's spoken about relevant information that has been revealed, and offered information input and generally put herself out there. Not overly so. She's never been super-chatty, but her content has had actual content.

Not so thus far. While she proclaims that she's been busy, her only post of substance that I've found for Night Vale is the following.

---

Ok I haven't gotten into the podcasts as yet (gawd the busy) but I did do a bit of reading about my character and where I fit. I could be wrong but I get the feeling the city council could be the mafia, at least they seem to be someone at odds with my character. I'm also given to believe their influence in the city was decreased when strexcorp arrived, and restored when they left. (Pardon my ignorance, this is pure wikia education talking.)

So with that in mind it's possible, perhaps, to see strexcorp and the city council represented as not pro town roles. The city council seems to be corrupt and highly self-serving, rather than city serving, and strexcorp are all propaganda and control and assimilation. Perhaps two separate mafia factions, or mafia and SK or survivor type roles. I'm inclined to be suspicious of members of either.

Unfortunately, despite my research and theorising, I have no real concrete suspicions yet. I do have some gut feelings that are making me eyeball some of you, but I have nothing better than that. 

Also I totally thought Othero was accidentally killed by the glow cloud day 1 and it was ages before I realised he wasn't in the game. I was reading all the posts and was like...why is no one mentioning this?? How is Sylandra getting away with that?? Yeah. I so smrt.

---

A whole lot of words, but not a shred of actual content. A suggestion that Strexcorp or the city council may be scum isn't content. Strexcorp as villains was already talked about around Melali's much louder claim that they're scum. It even led to her roleclaiming.

In this "content" post of hers, she also completely fails to take a stance on the two murders that has happened, Melali's roleclaim, Falmiis' roleblock claim, Sylandra's glow-cloudiness, Krackenor's vote and FOS combo... there's a whole lot of things to take a stance on and talk about that she did not do in her promised proper post.

This does not seem like typical Lavinya behaviour, and I think she's got something to hide.
  • And with that I conk to bed. Nini.
  • Alright, we're not getting anywhere and without a cop or doctor anymore we're most likely going to end up in a similar place as we were at the beginning of today sans one or two more townies. I'll jump on either of these votes. Vote Kiradawea
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I realise I'm not being particularly vocal, I assure you it's less trying to avoid notice and more I don't have enough information/understanding of the theme to really get into the theory crafting.

One thing I -am- nervous about is a wrong lynch. We lost the protector and the investigator in one fell swoop which I think means we need to be extra careful in our lynches. We don't really have much of a safety net and I don't think we can afford to lose important roles. I'm not usually for this strategy but I'm erring on the side of caution. Without something better to go on, Vote Nobody

I'll admit that Lavinya's behavior has intrigued me too, although in the most recent previous game I think she was louder due to her having such a confirmable town role (Cleopatra, the jailer). We play in the way that our roles tailor us to best play; for example, as @Ellowyn noted, I'm comfortable being chatty for that reason. So if Lavinya is being quieter, that's either due to 1) hey, she's actually busy, or 2) her role is best played quietly.

Being quiet is sometimes an indicator that a player is something like the protector and they want to avoid mafia protection, but given that we already lost the two pro-town roles that have the most to gain from flying under the radar... There's definitely merit to putting pressure on players who engage in this behavior. As a note, Ellowyn's posting has actually been similar to Lavinya's in this way, but we have more prior examples of how Lavinya plays as town to compare her actions to.

(I realize this means I'm agreeing with Kiradawea again, and I'm sure that will raise flags with Krackenor. Oh well.) 

@Silvanus, you know Lavinya pretty well. What are your thoughts on her posting so far?
    Daraius said:
    goddamn. I shouldn't leave my posts open so long without finishing them. Lemme pack another box and I'll get back to you.

Ack, just saw Lavinya's post above. Going to Vote Lavinya because a no lynch does not help town right now.

Willing to review this vote as needed.
    Daraius said:
  • Yeah no, voting nobody isn't going to get us anywhere with who we've already lost. It's a move to delay the inevitable, which is to let the mafia win. For this alone I'm going to Unvote and Vote Lavinya.
  • Vote:Lavinya
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Well I guess I should reveal second Act of my role, and that is that I am a one-off investigator on top of a Vigilante.

And I was going to investigate Lavinya tonight.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Why would you reveal that? We don't have a protector anymore. Now the mafia know to target you. :/

I hope you know what you're doing.
    Daraius said:
    UNVOTE

Ok so, I didn't expect a nobody vote to go through. Not going to claim grand schemes or plays here, just a genuine uncertainty of who to vote for.

Sylandra is right - a) I am actually busy, big interstate move and catching up with people before we leave means I haven't been sitting at the computer as much as usual or refreshing religiously like I would usually. And b) I don't actually have anything to give other than what I presumed via the wiki. I have no night powers. Zero, zip. So not only can I not report any of my own findings via actions, I can't tell if I've been hindered or tampered with during the night either, because I have no power to block/switch/jail etc etc.

I do have a day power but even that isn't fantastic - I can protect someone from being lynched. But I can only go on a hunch I'm going to protect the right person. Anyway. I didn't want to do the full reveal but I might as well. I'm the mayor (with governor role) Dana Cardinal. I win with the town. And it was reading about my role that made me wonder if the council are possibly the mafia (and I'd be surprised if strexcorp wasn't involved somehow as scum).

So. I get people don't like the nobody lynch but I don't see why it makes me scum. If anything, scum will push to lynch especially if they can get another townie. Body count helps the mafia. Dead town does not help the town. If you lynch me (which you might) you won't learn anything except I was honest, and be no better off than we are now, except down a townie. Not lynching I suppose plays the number game, which I generally speaking don't like.

Right now though, if I'm suspecting anyone, it's Kira and Rolsand. Kira for starting a lynch on a whole lot of nothing (there are others who have offered even less than my theory crafting in the game, what a flaky excuse), and Rolsand for being a sheep and leaping without looking. 

Actually all of you. Think about it. Is it really such a blatant mafia move? Really??

......and if it is - do you really believe I am so inexperienced as to do a super obvious mafia thing while being mafia and hoping no one would notice? Come on. Flaky flaky. Do better guys!

everyone stop posting while I"m composing. @Silvanus certainly hasn't offered anything except unverified claims of multiple powers - the ability to kill and the ability to investigate. Consider all the recent mafia games - sounds like a very likely mafia role to me.