Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Theory crafting is pretty normal. Some people like to play the theme, others like to play the people.

If we are all just going to be theorycrafting, I am more of the opinion that Sylandra is not a Town member, as she has accurately pointed out that her power is not a useful town power at all, it seems odd for Ieptix to design a game to include that as a town power when it is basically useless to town.

But it's not something I am willing to vote for yet, but if I had to choose, it would be her. We still have some time for day 2, pointing fingers will generate discussion.

Also, in a game of this size, in what was advertised as a power heavy game, I would be shocked if it was only town vs scum.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Ok. A few theories after randomly looking around the wiki: Could our other killer be a vig that is part of the Sheriff's Secret Police, it seems the Police encourages citizens to enforce the law with vigilante justice? Or if there is more of the Secret Police force around, could they be the mafia themselves?

On a unrelated note: why did Rosland post a bunch of times in a row instead of all in once post? Is that just how he plays or is this something else?
  • It's just how he does forums, as far as I can tell; treats it more like an IM.
  • I have never played a vengeance game, sorry! I tried to find one to play but apparently you can't queue for it :(
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Cyna said:
    I have never played a vengeance game, sorry! I tried to find one to play but apparently you can't queue for it :(

Do you have any questions about what's happened so far, by the way? Please feel free to ask!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Cyna said:
    I have never played a vengeance game, sorry! I tried to find one to play but apparently you can't queue for it :(

Do you have any questions about what's happened so far, by the way? Please feel free to ask!

I read HELP VENGEANCEGAME, so I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. We're supposed to save the town from the Mafia, right?
    That's a good start! You might also want to check out this wiki, starting here, for basics: 
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Oh gosh guess I can't post links from my phone. :(
    Daraius said:
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Ok I haven't gotten into the podcasts as yet (gawd the busy) but I did do a bit of reading about my character and where I fit. I could be wrong but I get the feeling the city council could be the mafia, at least they seem to be someone at odds with my character. I'm also given to believe their influence in the city was decreased when strexcorp arrived, and restored when they left. (Pardon my ignorance, this is pure wikia education talking.)

So with that in mind it's possible, perhaps, to see strexcorp and the city council represented as not pro town roles. The city council seems to be corrupt and highly self-serving, rather than city serving, and strexcorp are all propaganda and control and assimilation. Perhaps two separate mafia factions, or mafia and SK or survivor type roles. I'm inclined to be suspicious of members of either.

Unfortunately, despite my research and theorising, I have no real concrete suspicions yet. I do have some gut feelings that are making me eyeball some of you, but I have nothing better than that. 

Also I totally thought Othero was accidentally killed by the glow cloud day 1 and it was ages before I realised he wasn't in the game. I was reading all the posts and was like...why is no one mentioning this?? How is Sylandra getting away with that?? Yeah. I so smrt.

I actually had that same moment of panic, ahaha. "Why did I kill @Othero?! Oh God no, why!" Then I remembered he wasn't playing.  ;))

Daraius said:
    I'd also like to hear a bit more from @Ellowyn, and @Kiradawea's response to the accusations from @Krackenor and @Cen.
    Daraius said:
  • I doubt that the city council is the Mafia, fluff wise, since Ieptix/Cecil mentioned that they went on a vacation in one of the earlier posts.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Rolsand said:
    It's just a hunch but I think that you, Ush and Kira are ready to lynch at any second the same can go for Krackenor.
    Keep in mind, there are several valid play styles, and playing aggressively brings more information into play than the "wait for mafia to slip up" style that you've advocated for.

Absolutely, we need cautious people, and they're usually the people who make it to the final days, but if we all did that, there'd be very little information coming out of the day-phases and we would be more likely to end up in a random lynch scenario at the end of the day phase.

Do admit that my aim was (more than likely) wrongly trained on @Melali, but you understand that I was working off the valid inconsistency of town role-sheets not revealing who the mafia are, and Melali saying his did! Town have to lynch to win, and lynching people based on inconsistencies is 100% valid. 

You also have to remember that it's not solely based on what people say, but also how people vote. Technically, mafia don't have to join votes to win, but it's often in their interests to bandwagon on a vote against an innocent town member.

Immediately after Melali's response to my vote, I found Tamika on the wiki and realised that was probably who he was. Kept my vote on him because I was hoping a few people might bandwagon, but his role reveal before a vote train built up ended that wish prematurely. :(
    Lavinya said:

FACTS.
    Facts.

Facts.
    Daraius said:
    @Lavinya bahahaha! :P

As for my thinking re: @Sylandra

In the Los Alamos game, she played us all with a 100% convincing, elaborate early claim, and pulled our strings for the rest of the game but there is a difference here in that this time, she is not lying about her identity (alignment/other powers, sure, maybe!).

As I mentioned before, I was looking at her day-ender power as a 'Governor-like' power, i.e. the ability to prevent a lynching, and having played as Governor before, it -is- an awkward power for town, but in no way means her to be mafia. I drew the same criticisms in that game for also revealing early.

Also lynching her this early in the game would give town a lesser amount of information (than someone we have no information on), moving into the next Night/Day phase, so preferably, I would hope for a different target.

(I swear... if you've fooled me again @Sylandra *shakefist)
  • I think I'm going to have to read the wiki as well, seems like everyone else is doing it and gleaning some important information from it.  I am enjoying the podcasts, although his voice nearly sends me to sleep, so soothing.

@Sylandra is interesting, though, she speaks quite a lot... I don't know whether she may have a jester or veteran role.  Veteran would make more sense, because she's kind of loud so maybe she's inviting the mafia to her?

Re-reading everyone's posts doesn't really give me any clues so far, one of these days I'll get an investigative power and be able to contribute more facts.

• Ayisdra said:
    Ok. A few theories after randomly looking around the wiki: Could our other killer be a vig that is part of the Sheriff's Secret Police, it seems the Police encourages citizens to enforce the law with vigilante justice? Or if there is more of the Secret Police force around, could they be the mafia themselves?
    I'm fairly confident that the Secret Police isn't scum based on my own role. That's all I'll say at this point though.

Ayisdra said:
    On a unrelated note: why did Rosland post a bunch of times in a row instead of all in once post? Is that just how he plays or is this something else?
    He had a similar pattern last game as well, so I think it's just how he plays.
  • Krackenor said
    I'm interested in the instant collusion between @Sylandra and @Kiradawea over Rolsand's guilt on no evidence whatsoever. You can't imagine anyone being a trigger happy vig, Kira? That's rather over the top given the games on this forum. I find thee suspicious and see no reason not to Vote: Kiradawea and FOS: Sylandra.

You silly Americans and your weird time-table. Some of us have to sleep at night.

Anyway, Krackenor you're strawmanning me here. Let's look at the statement again, shall we?

The more I think about it, the more I feel that unless Rolsand is the vig (he's the only one I could see do something like this), Ileein's killer is not pro-town.

In other words, I am arguing that the killer of Ileein is not pro-town. EXCEPT, possibly Rolsand, because on the list of people I see playing, he's the only one I can see who would kill at night one, AND kill Ileein over Sylandra. My argument constructs a scenario where Rolsand is town. A dangerous townie, mind you, but still town. I do this because I've seen how he plays.

One thing to keep in mind is that every overactive vig has argued that "x acted suspicious". Please inform me how you could arrive to the conclusion that Ileein is more suspicious than Sylandra. Even if Sylandra would have something to protect themselves at night with, the vig would learn something by trying to off them, and could tell town afterwards that "I tried to off Glow Cloud and they've got NK immunity."

By now, I am also convinced that Ileein's killer is a serial killer. Everyone has had a chance to weigh in today, and there are no vigs here yet to own up and admit that they are the guilty party.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    *twiddle thumbs

I'll put this talking point out there, since I hate inaction...

One thing I'm wondering about is the fact that only three actions are being talked about from last night, two of which are confirmed.

1) the Puncture Wounds kill
    2) the Hatchet kill
    3) the 'aeoning' / role-delaying on Falmiis (unconfirmed)

So no-one was role-blocked/jailed? Mafia/SK otherwise have a free rein at night? This is a bit worrying, especially with our protector gone.

It may also mean that the aeoning -was- an actual roleblock of @Falmiis and the flavour text was just bit too ambiguous? (should find out next night phase)

If you were blocked/jailed and are aware of it, speak up! Nothing to fear if you're town by revealing you were blocked/jailed since two kills happened regardless.

• I pretty sure that some of these people who have played in previous Mafia games have killed on the first night.
  • I might stick out as sloppy player but if I were a Sk I would play it safe the first couple of nights.
  • My goal would be to let you guys take out each other and then start picking you guys off one by one.
  • And also I'm trying to be a little cautious with these lynches/therioes so that we dont lose another teammate.
    Also, some speculation re. the puncture wounds killer.

Perhaps Telly the Barber? And guy who cut off Carlos' beautiful hair.. Puncture wounds being the marks left by his scissors? Wiki-lore suggests he went mad, so this could put him as a lunatic SK.

This would then put Leann as the hatchet killer + accomplices being the actual mafia. A print media vs radio war scenario maybe? Also let's us put some names on potential mafia members, like Gia Samuels, Siobhan Azdak and Sarah Sultan?

Not being able to put names on potential StrexCorp people is partly why I am sceptical as to whether they really are the mafia we're looking for.
    And yep, if StrexCorp really are the mafia, I'm well aware that this could be construed as an attempt at obfuscation, but I'm just unconvinced on StrexCorp so am looking elsewhere.
    That's interesting speculation. Since we all seem to be named entities, I'm willing to agree with Ushaara's thought process for now regarding StrexCorp. If there are no StrexCorp characters, it would be difficult to have a StrexCorp team!

Regarding who to lynch, there are two people I think we should hold off on lynching today: Cyna for just joining the game, and Falmiis so we can confirm what the aeon does to him in the following night. Everyone else is fair game.
    Daraius said:
  • There are StrexCorp characters. Specifically, Lauren Mallard and Kevin.
    Lauren is StrexCorp's main manager in Night Vale. And Kevin was Cecil's counterpart in the other city, Desert Bluffs, who joined StrexCorp, or at least works for them.
    Aha! Thanks @Melali. That helps piece things together.
    Daraius said: