The Elder Wars Mafia! Morgfyre and Malmydia Win! (Lavinya/Ushaara)

Comments

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Wouldn't it have been nice if we could have just lynched Ushaara yesterday and avoided all the unnecessary claims and whatnot that put us in a more precarious position? I think it would have been nice.

Holding off on a vote because the day just started and there might be something worth hearing out there. I mean, y'all know where my heart's vote lies, but we don't need a hyperspeed lynch train again just yet.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Ssaliss said:
    I mean... The only time I've seen a similar power was my own in the Chimaera game. Which was a power I got access to once I flipped from town to SK. So yeah, colour me suspicious about that power.
    I might be confusing it with a bluff by Celina but I think it was also in the Shakespeare game, though again as a mafia power.

Suspicion understandable, and only a lynch verifies information, sure. I'm just working with what I was given though.

I think my best defence is my actions (not claims!) being consistent yesterday, and what I said about mafia having night chat and me claiming Malmydia as town being a terrible mafia plan.

Dumbest mafia plan ever (as you're seeing now) if you believe that is indeed what happened.
    Ok, well I really have no more arguments to persuade people, so if it happens, it happens. Tough role, tough break. That's the way it goes.

If another lynch candidate crops up today, I'll add my vote, but can't say more than I have.
  • Hai'glo (sp)

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    @Othero, you haven't shared anything about last night from what I can see.

What did your power tell you about the Soulless?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Othero said:
    I was also trapped in an essence field last night. I'm not sure if it blocked my power last night. I got a message that a Soulless was after Selenity but I don't know which Soulless. That goes against how my power was explained, I should know the Soulless role name.
    nvm answered my own question
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Dylara said:
    Hai'glo (sp)
    This was meant for another thread, I have no idea how this ended up in this thread. Curse my phone!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I kinda don't want to lynch ushaara in case he blows up, but i also think lynching him will give us more information.

Why don't one of you studious types give us a list of players and their claims thus far, and we can narrow down suspicions?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Yeah, here's a thought - what if he's a jester?
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Breandryn said:
    Yeah, here's a thought - what if he's a jester?

People always worry about jesters, but they're really, really rare. Jesters that end the game when they get lynched are even rarer. There are a lot of good reasons for this. The risk of Ushaara being a jester is low. The odds of him being a jester that ends the game on a win (the only type that's actually a risk from our perspective) is even lower. Pretty much negligible.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    Breandryn said:
    Yeah, here's a thought - what if he's a jester?
    I tend not to assume jesters, because that assumption can throw off entire games, despite it being extremely unlikely that one is included.
    Re: blowing up, I mean, it's not impossible that he's a bomb, but I feel like he'd have said that while exhausting all his reasons for us not to lynch him. Bomb is a pretty good claim for getting people to at least think twice before lynching, but he only mentioned night-time retaliation. So I'm not assuming bomb.
  • See, I still disagree that Ushaara's flip will provide any useful info if she turns up town, aside from a vote train to analyze.

I'm more willing to lynch Ushaara because of Vivet's actions yesterday. I haven't had a chance to review the whole day, but I'm fairly sure Vivet never voted for her. And I don't think she ever defended Ushaara directly, but she may have been trying to shift focus elsewhere, like onto Weiwae vs. Sylandra.

So even if they're not on the same team, it's possible Vivet may have wanted him alive because she had to find the traitors to recruit them. I think some people had suggested this possibility yesterday when discussing reasons to lynch Ushaara. I was leaning more towards anybody being open to recruitment, but Vivet's attitude toward Ushaara yesterday has me leaning the other way.

Ah here, not a bomb, not a jester. While bombs are hilarious, I'd consider jesters troll roles. So if ye're lynching me those aren't concerns to worry about. If I've been janitor'd it'll be news to me though.

Honestly just a bit surprised that Silvanus has appeared to go conventional with Fain + others for the Traitor faction. I'd have gone with a claim like Lantra rather than the truth if I actually thought it was going to be all canon Traitors.

Anyway, for a token vote, I'll

Vote Yomoigu

Points the finger, but then stands back and lets others do all the arguing. Something about that just seems fishy.

And that's me for the night (possibly game)!
    Also, it's definitely possible that Malmydia-Ushaara was converted last night considering what @Lehki says about Vivet as well. What if the bomb power is a result of being converted?

(man I'm with @Phoebus, this would be so much easier if we had just lynched the dude yesterday, guys)
    Daraius said:
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Most of the train lynching happened when I wasn't online to contribute, I was wary of lynching Ushaara initially but not against it. I think we will get the most information from his flip - was he a) inherently scum, b) inherently town, c)recruited?. I like it much better than a blind lynch or more twilight no lynching hilarity.

I might not be here later but I want to vote while I can. Vote Ushaara.

• Ushaara said:
    Ah here, not a bomb, not a jester. While bombs are hilarious, I'd consider jesters troll roles. So if ye're lynching me those aren't concerns to worry about. If I've been janitor'd it'll be news to me though.

Honestly just a bit surprised that Silvanus has appeared to go conventional with Fain + others for the Traitor faction. I'd have gone with a claim like Lantra rather than the truth if I actually thought it was going to be all canon Traitors.

Anyway, for a token vote, I'll

Vote Yomoigu

Points the finger, but then stands back and lets others do all the arguing. Something about that just seems fishy.

And that's me for the night (possibly game)!
    Nothing fishy! I was entertaining friends in town for a marathon most of the day and they only found the strength to reattach their legs and head home half an hour ago.

My view of the situation is this: you got a really tough role. incredibly tough. It's even more apparent now that you are claiming a revenge power, because even if you're being 100% honest with us we cannot safely verify your claim. Of course, this also means that the traitors can't safely convert you, but again, we have no way to confirm your allegiance (or watch/track/jail you etc.) one way or another. I'm sorry, but I still think it's safer to lynch you than to keep you around. I will withhold my vote for now in case anybody else pops in with more enticing information, but if nothing is said, I'm going with you.
    Wait, wait. 

@Ushaara, how exactly does your power work? Does it kill anyone who approaches you, or only people who attempt to kill/imprison you?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Maybe the elixir isn't a recruitment, maybe it adds a power, and one of the traitors can hand it off to others to give them powers. 
  • I am so happy my suspicions about Vivet were correct. I would like to pressure the people who were working with Vivet the last day. I still think lynching Ushaara is a big mistake, and  I think Vivet's posts pushing for that vote makes that more clear.

I would have to go back and see who was arguing in concert with Vivet.
    Weiwae who did you jail yesterday? I missed that.
    Daraius said:
  • Okay here we go. Few of Vivet's relevant posts for anybody that doesn't feel like finding them. The first quote was her initial response to Ushaara's reveal and seems the most telling to me, as she mentions it could be an attempt to get a cult head's attention and suggesting we live Ushaara alive as bait.
    Vivet said:
    You know, when I first started thinking of the possibility of stumping for this game, I thought a god sharding into a mortal race would be just about the most flavourful form of stumping possible. @Selenity! You are totally getting my hopes up and I am waaaay curious!

Ushaara has made a pretty bold move, and I am disinclined to punish it just yet. It might be he is putting up a flag to get attention from a cult head, but he's also the only publicly known of the Twelve at this time. If what he's saying is true, then he can be useful for baiting and can be blocked or whatever as might be deemed appropriate - the situation will get more complex if we discover another of the Twelve, in which case we might analyze the differences in their behaviour to that point.

Ushaara isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Opening a chance for people to catch him interacting with others in the night seems more useful than cutting him down in an instant.

Granted, we don't have much else to work with, so I can't blame people for wanting to jump down his throat either. Meh.

Then some posts poking at Weiwae
    Vivet said:
    I guess another question for @Weiwae might be, why the certainty with Sylandra? It seems to be fueled by the fact she already has votes on her, more than anything else. You might not like her logic, but it's roughly the same bit of logic a lot of people on that lynch train have paid lip service to, at least in passing - Sylandra is merely the most vocal. And by being the most vocal, she is liable to draw the most fire for the stance here and later.

I'm curious because earlier you seemed to want to focus on prodding lurkers, but in this instance you're choosing to leave the people who are leaving short paragraphs, voting, and then not contributing to discussion alone.

Vivet said:
    My own suspicions have been fluctuating quite a bit, unable to crystallise precisely on any particular path or view. Weiwae has been itching my intuition, but I haven't really been able to fully grasp why. I poked at this a little earlier, trying to piece together what has changed since day one.

I feel like we have an early bid for "leadership" going here - Weiwae felt more focused on encouraging conversation and prodding everyone into contributing day one, but today he's far more focused on stepping right up to the most direct competitor he has for marshalling town: Sylandra. This is even echoed in his words, where he's pivoting his stance on degree and magnitude more than on what's being argued (so that's why Phoebus is okay to be ignored even though she's had very similar stances? Okay).

I think I can support this motion.

Vote: Weiwae

Vivet said:
    Sylandra said:
    I hadn't really read Weiwae's posts in that way, but once I considered it in this lens that Vivet does, I think you could make an argument that Weiwae might have been converted last night? Alignment shift often leads to inconsistent gameplay.

I mean we aren't even sure there are cults in this game, we've just talked about it being highly possible with Fain (maybe?) included. Day 2 doesn't give us a lot to work with except paranoia.
    ... I hadn't actually considered that angle just yet, but I can see what is drawing you towards that leaning.

If that is the case, we will need to accept the following points.

1. That Illith and Kethuru fought last night instead of doing anything particular.
    2. That someone converted Weiwae.
    3. That someone eliminated Krokano.

We are forced to assume that Illith and Kethuru fighting means they actually couldn't take any action, in which case, it seems highly unlikely that a single entity could convert AND eliminate on the same night (that would be absurdly strong). So are we to assume that besides Illith and Kethuru, there is someone who can kill and someone else who can convert? And we would seem to be drawn to assuming the killer is not a Vigilante - there was already some discussion and people didn't seem inclined to believe it was a Vig, unless they were a very trigger happy and inexperienced Vig.

This set up might not be impossible, especially if earlier speculation about the Soulless being more like a pack of serial killers than an organised group were true.

But we have another curveball now, a defence from an apparent Xyl in the form of Luce. Based on Luce's insistence, we might assume he is either a mason with Weiwae or an investigator. Let's keep it this way - we don't need to feed exacting information of this degree to scum.

Would a mason in a set not notice if their partner was converted? Would an investigator be unable to read a conversion, depending on the chain of priority that powers play out by? This can vary a lot from game to game, but each instance increases uncertainty.

And it is definitely increasing my uncertainty. However!

Weiwae said:
    From my perspective , we have a clear town block now, and we have people casting aspersions on that block and trying to lynch it. This is going to become a quick town loss.
    What are you doing?

Having suspicions on multiple people isn't bad, so long as you aren't pointing fingers at -everyone-. You seem to be implying seeing patterns, but instead of granting any exposition you go the route of Cryptic Portension. This makes me uneasy.

Sylandra has had no problem on pinning thoughts on a variety of people and their behaviours, as well as Ushaara (who elected to do so even with high amounts of pressure on him). What benefit is there to town to listen to this statement of yours and not expect any backup or reflection?

I was strongly considering dropping my vote until I read this, but now my vote is staying until you can at least grant some exposition.

That said - @Lavinya, don't forget Weiwae's question either.

• I jailed Othero. I did not do anything to Selenity.

Looking back at Vivet's posts I see a lot of "I agree with Phoebus" comments, and a few strong but subtle defences of Sylandra.

@Shaddus how certain are you exactly of Sylandra?
  • Claims as far as I can tell:

1. Sylandra  - Shaddus claims Sylandra is clean, and forgot to read town win condition.

3. Lavinya - (didn't see town win condition cause it was typoed /missing)

4. Luce - Xyl, knows things.

5. Fyler- ?

6. Ssaliss - ?

7. Lehki - Aslaran - prevent lynch

8. Breandryn - Clangorum - shopkeeper

10. Dylara - ?

11. Ushaara - Malmydia - claims town

13. Phoebus - ? 

14. Selenity - Knows that shards are a thing somewhere.

15. Portius - ? 

16. Yomoigu - ? 

17. Shaddus - ?

18. Othero - Can spot soulless activity

19. Tremula - ?

20. Weiwae - Roark, Jailor

I knew my town win condition. The way you write my section implies it's me who didn't read it correctly, not Shaddus, though.

I also confirmed that Shaddus knows my role ability.
    Daraius said:
  • Sorry, yes the line for Sylandra is supposed to be on Shaddus, and Sylandra is supposed to be a ?

Here are the reasons that I was suspicious of Vivet, despite the fact that she was agreeing with me. I'm glad I was right, I'm sad I didn't say something yesterday about it (wanted to use lynch trains to back up my thought process).

-Textbook Vivet loves playing "Talk the Set-Up," in my experience. I expected her to be all excited and chatty in a game based on the Elder Wars, tossing theories left and right. Instead, like I mentioned earlier, she was evasive and posted very little. When she did, it was to swerve vote trains in the directions they were already headed.

-Vivet gave a lukewarm defense of Ushaara, but failed to give one to Weiwae in light of Luce's claim. I expected her to be a bit more competitive and to try and reel back the conversation to consider what Luce's claim meant for Weiwae's role and ability, given the fact she was willing to give Ushaara this space. I was actually very surprised to see her encourage this lynch train, as it seemed a bit inconsistent in her thought process. Why defend Ushaara, but not Weiwae? Possibly because there's some benefit to her in keeping Ushaara alive. Hmmm!

-Vivet went from being in-and-out to suddenly hammering in the last two votes. She didn't have to defend these votes because they were last minute, but it seemed telling that her activity spurt spiked at the very last second for two ill-fated lynch trains. There'd be no time to question her actions, and she could feasibly say, "Oh, last minute votes, had to get a lynch." She never ran a vote train, but she didn't have to when some already existed in her favor. It's a good way to fly under the radar while guiding what you want to happen.

-Vivet's favorite role to play is town. Her least favorite role to play is mafia. The moment I realized she was a quiet presence my mind went two ways: "Either Vivet's RL job is becoming busy, or she doesn't quite feel comfortable with her role this game. Because she's being more evasive than I've ever seen her."

So that's my analysis of Vivet's behavior, anyway. You can point out she gave some defense of me and agreed with Phoebus, but I think that's less of what made her suspicious to me, as I don't think my logic or Phoebus's logic was particularly anti-town. It just happened to be convenient when it opened a lynch train beyond killing a Traitor role.
    Daraius said:
    Also @Othero if you were jailed but your ability still worked, do you mean to say your ability to sense Soulless is unblockable?

@Selenity you were mentioned in @Othero's most recent Soulless watch. Did anything happen to you last night you can report?
    Daraius said: