Artifact Ideas

Comments

• Arcanis said:
    Rivius said:
    Water stops ghost? That's just bizarre thematically.

Also, how much of an EQ loss is on ghosting, and what sort of hinders stop it?

Estarra has made it clear several times that it is meant to be this way and wont be changing any time soon. I suppose there is some deeper meaning to it.
    *facepalms*
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Suggestion threads bring so much fire and pedantics, oh my.

I'm with Eritheyl, I'm lazy as, I'd buy the earring thing to save me walking when I feel like Silvanus is due for a pinch on the butt.

Please make the curio replacement piece thingy a regular artifact and not just a goop one!

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited January 2016
    Arcanis said:
    Synkarin said:
    Well now I know what to report!

Eye sigils stopping ghosts from moving about!

Yes...because obviously this is such an important priority right now...

I mean, obviously such a decision, if taken, would not be fueled by any random contempt that was suddenly inspired here. You can be so emotional sometimes..

SORRY I FORGOT MY /SARCASM TAGS I'M NOT REALLY GOING TO ENVOY IT, SO DON'T WORRY That said, there really isn't a lot of stuff to envoy at the moment, not until things with the overhaul are a bit more finalized

Edit: NM - souls, not ghosts

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Undead/spirits/ghosts/faeries being unable to cross water is old lore. OLD old lore. Like, Grimm old. Older, even. Water is a purifying element, and has been associated with cleansing of energy for so long that nearly every culture on the planet considers water sacred in some form or another. That's why Bram Stoker's Dracula had to put himself in a coffin with dirt from his native country in it, and then had to put that on a boat to get to England (and again to reverse it) and why he died the way he did.

Now back on topic:

Cartellier's Catalogue: INSCRIBE CATALOGUE <cartel> once to permanently link one tome to the CARTEL <cartel> CATALOGUE output. Alternately, INSCRIBE CATALOGUE <trade> to link it instead to public designs in that trade, separated by skill. You still must be a tradesperson in the cartel to see the design itself, or to make it.

(Though if that second function can instead be put into the Hall of Records I'd be a very happy abomination unto Nuggin)
  • A more widespread way to counter ghost might be a good idea, though, regardless of whether we make it into an artifact. Especially since there're more orgs than celest vs mag nowadays than back when the ghost/water mechanic was first implemented and balanced. And if we do make it into an artifact for everyone, then it becomes fairly urgently needed for some kind of general counter.

Eye sigils probably last too long to be reasonable as a blanket counter to ghosting. Hrm, I'll think of something, maybe. Ideas welcome!

• Make them slow doesn't ghosts like they do dreamweavers.

• You can't ghost if you're prone, or have broken arms. You can't cure as a ghost. Anything that stops you moving as a person will also stop you moving as a ghost 

EG, Illuminati sludge will trip you when you try to move rooms. As a ghost. And then you can't stand, because you can't cure as a ghost.
  • That certainly is good information. The sludge thing seems like a bug - my understanding is that things out of phase, like ghost or dreambody, shouldn't be affected by things like sludge trip.

Ghosting in combat certainly has plenty enough counters, I agree. But if we're talking about the above context where ghost is being used to "...bypass statues and totems and loyal stacks..." which apparently will "end badly" if given to everyone for some reason, then a way to counter it in that context without nerfing its combat usage and application even further will probably be required, especially if we want to see it become viable as an artifact idea. Besides, as it is, letting only one org have access to it as a tool to "bypass statues and totems and loyal stacks" is perfectly fine - though it still is reasonable to give orgs other than Celest a means like Celest has to counter it.

• I'd suggest envoying ghost to not be effected by anything that causes it to trip, not be hindered by eye sigils (not entirely even sure why it hinders dreamweavers, but those two are not the same skills).

Ghosts are knocked out of ghost by distort, so in full combat encounters you may need to assign you can't maintain it.  It should still be able to work to infiltrate a location though, so slowing ghosts seems a bad idea. 

I still suggest against majorly influencing combat with new artys if possible, as we do not want to keep pushing up the list of "required" artys. 

For the earrings that I see highly fought about.  We can make them work, just treat them as both bixes and magic movement and add safeties.

- They cannot pull you OUT of enemy territory.
    - Act as a bix for restrictions (need be able to move, cant have mental affs,etc).
    - Stopped by anything that stops magic movement (monolith, distort STOPS leaving with it, but not entering)
    - Make it channeled to avoid using it to leave abruptly, 12s? 15s?

We can put the proper limitations on things to make them viable. The earrings are utility, and as long as they don't jump huge gaps of planes, they should be fine.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Came here to post about ghosts and water being real old folklore, but @Luce has me covered.

So instead, more PvE artifact ideas, brought to you by Finkish Pirate Coalition:

*Unreliable Muckleblaster - Made infamous by fink pirates, this badly made sidearm is cobbled together from broken gnome tech. When wielded alongside a whip, each time the whip is used, there is a 10% chance the muckleblaster will blast the target with lightning.

*Unnecessarily Loud Raiding Horn - Increases the chance that denizens in non-player orgs will call guards, and when they do they will always call three.

*Cloak of Scurrying - Decreases the chance that denizens in non-player orgs will call guards, and when they do they will only call one.

*Jaunty Pirate Hat - Who needs constructs of Harmony? This hat gives you 25% xp boost on Aetherbubbles.

*Damaged Transplanar Contrivance (100 dingbats) - Teleports you to a random Aetherbubble. Can only be used one per Lusternian month.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Malarious said:
    I'd suggest envoying ghost to not be effected by anything that causes it to trip, not be hindered by eye sigils (not entirely even sure why it hinders dreamweavers, but those two are not the same skills).

Because that's what the eye sigils are for. Stopping dead people is a cute little flavour thing, but they're there to give people the ability to kether/violet dreamweavers/ghosts who're poking their noses where they don't belong.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited January 2016
    Actually not. For the vast majority of the game's length, eye sigils have had two effects: To block spirits from walking into a room, and to stop dreamweavers from using coalesce or envelop, and that's it. This is a dramatically more important restriction on mage dreamweavers than it is on druids, as mages can be enchanters and if able to coalesce into locked areas would then disenchant all of the monolith sigils. Only relatively recently was the dreamweaver rubble added. It doesn't enhance someone's ability to violet dreamweavers or make them easier to kill really, it just makes it somewhat annoying to move around a fully sigiled area. 
  • Luce said:
    Malarious said:
    I'd suggest envoying ghost to not be effected by anything that causes it to trip, not be hindered by eye sigils (not entirely even sure why it hinders dreamweavers, but those two are not the same skills).

Because that's what the eye sigils are for. Stopping dead people is a cute little flavour thing, but they're there to give people the ability to kether/violet dreamweavers/ghosts who're poking their noses where they don't belong.

What Enyalida said.  
  • edited January 2016
    Eye sigils are also there so you can't, as a dead ghost, go into a stockroom and then come back as a lich and jack everything in the stockroom.

Edit: The above is dated, but that's what it was there for, yes.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited January 2016
    You cannot jack everything in a stockroom any more, but it did prevent souls from doing that before the change, yes.
  • How about an artifact that allows you to SURVEY to tell how much of an area, in a percentage, that you've explored. Or just make it an ability in Environment. Either one.
  • Luce said:
    That's why Bram Stoker's Dracula had to put himself in a coffin with dirt from his native country in it, and then had to put that on a boat to get to England (and again to reverse it) and why he died the way he did.

Um, he got his throat slit because water is a purifying element?

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I might be misremembering, but I thought he was spilled out of his coffin and into a river, where the running water dissolved him to dust.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Something of Something was: I just want to never have to make tints ever again.
  • edited January 2016
    Luce said:
    I might be misremembering, but I thought he was spilled out of his coffin and into a river, where the running water dissolved him to dust.
    Maybe in a movie version? Not in the first movie, or the latest remake, or the book.
    The Texan guy slashed his throat and someone stabbed his heart with a nonsilver dagger. Then his body turned to ash.
    Edit:SPOILERS!

• I'd rather see some flavor artifacts at this point. Minor stuff like changing your pentagram/circle message to something custom like:

Nienla brings a finger into the air and begins to draw a five-pointed star, leaving flames in its wake. Bursting to life, the fiery pentagram projects an aura of protection about Nienla.

Raising her hands at her sides, Nienla spins in a counter-clockwise circle. As if answering a summons, vines erupt from the ground and form a protective circle about her.

With a retching motion, Nienla vomits forth a swarm of insidiously large locusts. As she regains composure, the locusts circle about her form in a protective cocoon.

• Nienla said:
    I'd rather see some flavor artifacts at this point. Minor stuff like changing your pentagram/circle message to something custom like:

Nienla brings a finger into the air and begins to draw a five-pointed star, leaving flames in its wake. Bursting to life, the fiery pentagram projects an aura of protection about Nienla.

Raising her hands at her sides, Nienla spins in a counter-clockwise circle. As if answering a summons, vines erupt from the ground and form a protective circle about her.

With a retching motion, Nienla vomits forth a swarm of insidiously large locusts. As she regains composure, the locusts circle about her form in a protective cocoon.

This would be horrible for anyone who wants to use highlighting to catch these actions in a fight.

• Falmiis said:
    Nienla said:
    I'd rather see some flavor artifacts at this point. Minor stuff like changing your pentagram/circle message to something custom like:

This would be horrible for anyone who wants to use highlighting to catch these actions in a fight.

There wouldn't be too terribly many of them. I don't see an issue if the messages are provided to folks in the HELP file for them as well.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Tbh, I'd love to see abs available to all, and the lines provided in said abs similar to affs list.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    It's easy to solve by adding a common following line: 

Eg. 
    You perceive a faint shield of protection around Nienla.

Something like that. I'm no writer.

I'd actually love to customize more things, so long as there's a way to not have us have to add a million new lines.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Okay, so. Variations of this have been suggested before, but now I have something that is better conceived.

In addition to being something I really want, it will partially revive a now retired and obsolete item! Nostalgic for anyone who was an herbalist or alchemist in the days of yesteryear.

Presenting...

The Extra-Dimensional Pocketbelt - 300cr

POCKETBELT ADD <artifact>
    POCKETBELT REMOVE <artifact>

All artifacts stored in the pocketbelt still behave as though you are wearing them, or in your inventory. Artifacts that require wielding still need to be removed so you can wield them. Jewelry/clothing with artifact runes will not be able to be stored, for the sake of simplicity (assuming that is easier to code. Otherwise, I'd be cool with them being addable too). Stores up to 100 artifacts.

Let's make it happen!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Why is it limited to 100? :(
  • I also would love it if such a thing worked on non-decay items like the Nature Seal items.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Xenthos said:
    Why is it limited to 100? :(
    I don't know, at this point I'm throwing out ideas and seeing what will stick. I seriously just want an artifact to store other artifacts and allow direct access to them - that's all! The more I think about artifacts I'd still want, this is the only one coming to mind.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Yessssssssssssssssss I love it. So much better than the Glamrock to get around looking like a kid wearing every item of clothing they own.