The Shakespearean Mafia Game - Heroes (Town) Win!

Comments

• You night vig'd someone on night one?  :|:|:|:|:|

Why? With so little info to go on, that's a really odd play to make as a townie.

Of course, it makes total sense if you were not a townie.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I am not good at
    Mafia, but normally
    My luck is better.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • I don't know if I buy that. You're not bad at mafia and I'd expect you to know not to vig on the first night.
    I am not good at
    Mafia, I am good at
    Vengeance, @Othero.

One requires you
    To role-play, which I am fine
    At. You do not here.

• Now we just need @Krackenor and @Rolsand to chime in.

• Hello
  • Nothing happened to me last night
  • Tremula said:
    I am not good at
    Mafia, I am good at
    Vengeance, @Othero.

One requires you
    To role-play, which I am fine
    At. You do not here.
    But the problem isn't roleplaying, the problem is if it is a good idea or not to take a shot in the dark with a kill. You've played enough of both to know a shot in the dark is a dangerous move.
  • Krackenor is here, but at work. I only have thoughts and theories to offer, but I'll post them when I get home in a couple hours
  • Before that though: @Luce you said you didn't think Cleopatra was your only visitor night 1... Can you elaborate?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'd be really surprised if this game didn't have watchers and investigators, and even more surpised if the mafia didn't have tricks up their sleeves as well. No one's reporting any of those, so I'm thinking at least some were on me in hopes of either throwing off or gathering suspicion, even if I got jailed that night.

That and I'm me, if I was a watcher I'd be glued to me the first three nights.

I don't have out and out evidence that I was targeted that night by anyone but Cleopatra because I was in Egypt (which, I highly recommend the honeyed locust, they're to die for.) but it'd be silly to assume I wasn't lit up like a Christmas tree.
  • Alright, so it was an assumption as opposed to something based on evidence, gotcha. In any case, I have a few scenarios I want to lay out.

Scenario #1
    We take everything we've been told thus far at face value: Tremula is a vigilante who made a bad call on Night 1, somebody attempted to kill her on Night 2, and Cleopatra whisked him away to Egypt which both prevented the death and prevented her from killing again (which she claims to have not done anyway. Also, Maylea got drunk and was presumably roleblocked/otherwise taken out of the action on night 2.

Scenario #2
    We pay heed to Othero's suspicions: Tremula knows better than to randomly kill somebody as a vigilante on Night 1, and her actions are more in line with a serial killer than a vigilante. Serial Killers aren't Mafia (I think), and so a mafia attempt on her life wouldn't be out of the question, explaining why there was an attempt on her life. There are no deaths because both the mafia and the serial killer were blocked by Cleopatra. Also, Maylea got drunk and was presumably roleblocked/otherwise taken out of the action on night 2.

Scenario #3
    Everybody is a lying liar. Tremula is a rabid murderer who answers to nobody and will kill again while the real vigilante, suspicious of Tremula's obfuscating poetry, tries to murder her to save all of our ears. Both are stymied by Cleopatra. Meanwhile, Maylea is a goon who tried to enact the mafia's orders but was blocked by her gentleman caller. Thus, a deathless night.

-------------

Personally, I'm a fan of Scenario 3 because I like the idea that we can kill two birds with one stone, but I have no hard evidence to back any of it up. Also, it presumes the existence of 3 sources of night killings...something I'm given to understand is relatively common (mafia+vig+serial killer). Any thoughts on this? Was anyone saved by a doctor that hasn't spoken up about it yet?

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I think it's way too convenient for Tremula to claim Vigilante now. 'They're suspicious so I should make the safest believable claim'. Why not also back it up with her role? Probably because she has a role that doesn't fit in with the power, that's why. 

@Tremula this is your chance - you've already claimed vig, might as well go the extra mile. Who are you playing on the stage?

I also feel the type of deaths seem less like vigilante work and more like mafia and serial killer. The stabbing to death strikes me as such. If Tremula isn't mafia, I can still believe she is a serial killer and possibly investigates as innocent, which would explain to an extent why she is not behaving more cautious. 

I am more than willing to lynch Tremula. But there is no great need to rush so I am willing to let her explain more fully. And it would help you if it wasn't in poetry form. At least use prose! 

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Krackenor's Scenario 2 makes more sense, but only because I think if a mafia goon is blocked, it just falls to the next goon in line to do the killing. (how it works in Town of Salem, anyway). Which is not to say that Maylea might not be the SK and/or Tremula still the mafia target, but I like Occam's razor.

Worth noting that Trem seems to have flip-flopped about that vig-claim. It might be obfuscating haiku, but she postulated 'the wild vigilante feared making another mistake' in third person, then later claimed to herself be that vigilante. And that if Trem killed Dylara, it's called a death by blunt force in the original post and wasn't really described in the reveal due to Romeo's killing himself. 

For that matter, don't vigs usually lose their kill powers if they hit town? (Or die outright, but that could just be ToS again.)
    Just to be informative, the mafia games here where I was mafia, the teams chose who did the killing each night. Town of Salem is a very....fast paced and not clever or subtle game in comparison to forum mafia. We have the luxury of time and the roles reflect that,

Also I confused myself with who killed who. I forgot it was Puck who was stabbed.

I will compromise:
    When I have a keyboard once
    More; I will reveal. 

My name, my weapon, 
    And all you could ask of me. 
    And not in haiku.

Allow me this time, 
    And the chance to clear my name, 
    My dear @Lavinya

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Smashing someone over the head still doesn't seem very vigilantish either, but I will note and acknowledge the possibility that the mafia killer was blocked as well, and amend my assessment to scenarios 2 or 3. 

I still think 2 is more likely, but Maylea hasn't posted too terrible much either. That might just be because of writing in verse, but it's worth noting.
  • Everyone has spoken, but not everyone has mentioned what they saw or didn't see last night.  I'm leaning toward scenario 2 as more likely, but I do think the question of Tremula's allegiance is a significant matter.

I wanted to wait for everyone to speak up before flopping this out on the table.  I don't mean to distract from the question of Tremula's allegiance - that's still a critical point to work out - but I have too much information and not enough experience to know what to do with it.

So.

My name is Prospero, rightful Duke of Milan, magician and comic hero.  I'm one of the good guys.  I'm a watcher.

Ordinarily, I don't think I should announce myself so early, but I have an ace up my sleeve and more importantly I have what I think is VERY pressing information.  You see, I was watching Tremula last night.  That line I wrote about it being a helluva coincidence... yeah.  Five people visited Tremula last night.  Though to be fair, one of them was me.

At this point, a few people are probably getting nervous.

I realize that good guys wouldn't necessarily want to announce their night actions any more than bad guys.  But between who showed up there, and what people have said, have not said, or how they've said what they said... well, hunches naturally begin to take shape.  But I recognize that I'm new to mafia, so I'm not sure how reliable my hunches are.

What I do know is that I took in a huge pile of info all at once, earlier in the game than I think would be the norm, and I feel like it could be a big advantage if we worked through it.  The problem is, I'm sure the villains would also like to work through it.

So now I need advice about what to do at this point.  Should I list the names of those who targeted Tremula last night so we can hash it all out?  Should I pick and choose whose names to share based on my hunches, risking 'sparing' the wrong people?  Keep them to myself and try to build more evidence, while risking getting taken out by a day-kill or other oddity?

I realize I've made myself a target.  I am vulnerable to lynching.  I'm somewhat less vulnerable to sneaky attempts to get rid of me.

So the 64cr question: now what?

Apologies for the lousy timing of my post. There's the possibility I won't be able to post again for a couple of days and I didn't want to miss my window of opportunity, or run out the day clock without putting this information out there.

I think it would be good to reveal those names - chances are not all of them had good intentions.

To make it easier (or perhaps add to the confusion), I will out myself, mostly because I can keep myself safe. I am Cleopatra, and am indeed a heroine. I magnanimously provide an evening of revelry and excess upon my barge for a select guest, effectively keeping them safe and also unable to wander and get up to mischief through the night. (aka I am the jailer)

I targeted Luce night one, and Tremula night two. 

I am inclined to believe Eldanien. In fact, I think if we hear who these visitors were it could be enlightening to watch everyone scrabble for role claims and excuses. I can protect Eldanien but would rather not block his power, so hopefully our protector will keep a close eye on him. I have a limited number of occasions when I can join my target on the barge, (no I will not reveal how many and if I have used them yet, let the mafia guess and hopefully waste kills on me) and perhaps it's best to keep our protector safe. Which makes me torn about revealing the names. I'm not opposed, but I'll take other opinions on the matter.

//in case you were wondering, I am keeping a snake warm while her cage is being relocated and renovated, so I can't quite make it to the keyboard\\.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Holy crap, five people? Would the mafia all show up as each person, or as one person?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
      Come, come, you wasp, i’faith you are too angry.
      If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
      My remedy is then to pluck it out.
      Ay, if the fool could find where it lies.
      Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail.
      In his tongue.
    Since our merry production was set to begin,
    'twas destined I would play the role of Katherine.
    A heroine wronged when the shrew was tamed,
    would no more injustice around me be named.

Impetuous and fiesty, my agent informed
    was the Kate requested, to be the new norm.
    Not a submissisive or weak-willed page,
    but a shrill shrew to away others with my rage.

A contract like no other would I then bequest,
    so when we retire to our quarters to rest,
    I may visit another and strike them, daring.
    But this wasp prefers a mandolin to a sting.

The actor behind the role called out to me,
    in the first night of our revelry,
    and I struck out of fear overbound.
    I hoped for safety this time around.

Alas, I erred, and would suffer the price,
    for I was targeted not once, or twice,
    but a quintet of aggressors did pay me their due.
    Fortunately, Cleopatra saved this lucky shrew.

Were I not convinced by our director above,
    the villains within hold no chance of
    displaying a redeeming grace to my eyes,
    and in tandem with the heroes shall my heroic tale arise.

• Shaddus said:
    Holy crap, five people? Would the mafia all show up as each person, or as one person?
    My instinct is that only the one sent to do the killing would show up.  But Lavinya identified herself and that claim seems pretty reliable - who would fake that claim, given the situation?  And I was one of the five as well.

That leaves three names.  One is almost certainly a villain.  If Tremula turns out to be Vig and not SK, then it seems most likely that another name is the SK.  We have confirmed visits from too many people, and no reason to believe Maylea was visited by a killer.  And then there would be one hero in the mix.  But even if the villains/SK skipped a night (unlikely?) or a killer visited Maylea, once names get named, then the heroes named would have reason to suspect the other names.  This keeps the heroes on track.

There's the rub.  There's easily one hero in that list of three, and a small possibility of two.  We've already exposed two town roles and I suspect we risk exposing our investigator.

I'll try checking in later tonight if I can, but again, I may not be free to post again for a day or two.

• @Luce, tis not my verse that stops my tongue,
    but a mix of being out for several hours
    and really knowing not what else to add.
    If Tremula was visited by five
    this goes some way t'explain the mystery.
    Either honoured Prospero is right
    and two he saw are 'mongst our enemies
    or Tremula speaks true, and did not strike -
    which leaves more questions than it solves, I think.
    Perhaps these could be answered were the names
    to be revealed. But doing this runs the risk
    of over-stretching our doctor's reach.
    Is it worth it? Alas, I do not know.
  • Oho! @Eldanien, you doubted your hunches, but your hunch to watch proved to be a good one :D

But yeah...deciding what to do with that info and (perhaps more importantly) when to use it is a tougher question. I would be really interested in seeing the remainder of that list; there are only so many legitimate towny reasons to have visited Tremula, and with so many people visiting her so early in the game when nobody has been janitored would make it incredibly risky for those indicted to lie about their intentions. On the other hand, because it is so early in the game, we have very little information on anybody and naming these folks at this time would likely turn into a game of 'who sounds more reliable'. Back on the first hand, we may be able to uncover two mafiosi at the cost of one townie at risk. Back on the second hand, we may put two additional town at risk and only uncover one mafia.

I honestly don't know which course would be better :/
  • *your hunch to watch Tremula was a good one, I meant
  • Hrm it seems as if everyone is saying their roles shall I say mine or keep it private?
  • Keep it private. Don't share unless it somehow helps us peg who is mafia.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Well, since we're sharing roles I'm Banquo. I targeted her because I thought she was scum, and when I accompany a villain I witness their wyrd (gives me some mafia chatter and their targets for the night). It makes me show up as a villain if it's used, and thankfully if I die I get a spooky power. Either Syl or RNGsus has a sense of humor and gave me a character that shows up as a ghost in the play. :P