Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• I'm so done with the god-awful quest design of Lusternia. I'm taking a break.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Literally me after lunch today

• I seriously cracked up, because now this is Scanlan's little bear voice in my head.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • Sylandra said:
    Yeah the admin here said something similar when it was presented. Would require a lot, lot, lot of code overhaul.
    It's a shame that we're not currently going through a massive overhaul anyway. :|

(Sorry, I'm being facetious.)
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm actually curious about what skills would be directly affected by gender, now that I'm thinking about it. I know the Mirror/Bubble would get Complicated, and I'm not sure whether Genderbend has any real effect on...well, anything outside of the aforementioned one or two quests.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I was given to believe it's more complicated than that. Like, all mobs even need to be assigned a gender. 

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited May 2016
    Right, and I'm assuming it's a boolean value with 0 and 1 assigned to (wild guess here) female and male. It'd be a mess of legacy code to unravel in order to accomplish it but my question wasn't "How easy would it be?" it was "What, mechanically, does it actually affect?"
  • It affects people's intangible emotions, and not combat, so it's difficult to monetize. My cynical mind doubts it will be easy enough to be considered any kind of priority.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • True story. But to be fair, there's a way things are prioritized here. Some changes just will not happen, feasible or not.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    edited May 2016
    Anything from us players that begins with "It shouldn't be too hard to..." is inevitably something that we've woefully underestimated the complexity of.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Why make us choose a gender anyway? Why can't we change genders when we reincarnate?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It makes sense to be able to change gender when reincarnating. You have to pay for the dagger, so that's alright. If you just want to swap once you can get the bubble, and if you want to swap all the time you can learn dramatics or get the more expensive mirror. 
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    REINCARNATE INTO <gender> <race>

Let me be a boy permanently, darnit. >:(
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    Bubble of Gender Switching: 100 credits
       - BREAK BUBBLE to activate.
       - Changes your gender to the opposite gender PERMANENTLY.
       - The bubble is destroyed. This is a one-time use artifact.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Bubble of Gender Switching: 100 credits
    Dagger of Reincarnation: 100 credits
    Total: 200 credits.

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."

• Everiine said:
    Anything from us players that begins with "It shouldn't be too hard to..." is inevitably something that we've woefully underestimated the complexity of.
    Well, like in theory if gender is stored as a boolean and then you change that to an integer, then add in another set of pronouns (with the player expectation that everything functions like emoting where there is a placeholder for pronouns), it seems simple.

But then you realise that practically everything we do (honours, emotes, abilities, moving, etc) generally involves a pronoun somewhere and all of them could have been coded to use a different method of resolving the placeholder that might need their own.

Though, if they were all the same and it was simple for that part, the next issue would be finding every instance where changing the pronoun to "they" would require further modifications. For example, honours would require changes on most lines from "She is" to "They are", and any combat lines might break systems for a little bit if the triggers only accommodate two genders.

And that's all if the system has been coded in a way that it could be easily slipped in.
  • Saran said:
    And that's all if the system has been coded in a way that it could be easily slipped in.
    This is never the case in a Rapture-based system, sadly!
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • edited May 2016
    It would be easier to change it into: Riluna says: "This is never going to happen."

Just saying.

And I can't even do it on the forums.

• I also think it would be nice to have that changed. One can wish and continue to hope that one day we'll see that, I think.

• Lerad said:
    I also think it would be nice to have that changed. One can wish and continue to hope that one day we'll see that, I think.
    Yeah, it'd definitely be a good thing to have, I just had shower thoughts this morning about just how widespread the pronouns are and the impact it could have. I'm also wondering if it's worth poking the Starmourn page to see if they can code it in from the beginning before it becomes a complex problem.
  • I pretty much only come here for the forum mafia.

I see new rooms in the Havens. ;;)
  • I totally didn't just go up there to check. Promise.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • edited May 2016
    <map>

I see new rooms in the Havens. ;;)

I don't actually see any new rooms. The 3 rooms north of the mortal news room have always been there. The rooms a bit more north is the Elder area of the Divine Havens, as far as I know.
  • Never saw them before.
  • I must have never paid any attention. I thought it was cool.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Just realized that Tokota Snowmane is naked. No wonder Adushoc moved in... ;))
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Everiine said:
    Just realized that Tokota Snowmane is naked. No wonder Adushoc moved in... ;))

It's hard for him to find pants that fit.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
This discussion has been closed.