General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    What was the novel?
  • what was the novel that's so significant and illuminating? I also would like to judge your English teacher
  • Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Well, in the teacher's defense, WSS is pretty well-written.

Not catching quotes from G Gundam, though, now that's a sin worthy of capital punishment.

• @Lerad not really, because not everyone watches g gundam
  • I'm not sure I agree that WSS being well written is an excuse for an academic professional to casually drop "shit" into an assignment brief. Maybe I'm old fashioned.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Well, yeah, I'm not disputing that your English teacher isn't acting very professionally - I don't think even "new fashioned" people will disagree with you on that. But well, since you can't really get back the time you wasted investing into this course taught by a not-so-professional teacher, celebrating your successful sneaking of the G Gundam quotes could be a form of consolation - poor though it might be.

On that note, you should give G Gundam a try, Ordassa. It's entertaining, if not exactly a work of literature. There are worse shows out there, at least.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ah, Wide Sargasso Sea, validation for fanfiction writers everywhere.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Technically so is the Aeneid, except people will fall over themselves to explain why it isn't really Iliad fanfiction.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    I am somewhat disconcerted by the discovery that a number of colleagues I considered friends resent me for my recent promotions because I am relatively new compared to them. Gossip and rumors abound. Someone directly said to me that my future successes are to be partially owed to my looks.

I guess my Christmas shopping list is a bit shorter now. :(

• Zyphora said:
    I am somewhat disconcerted by the discovery that a number of colleagues I considered friends resent me for my recent promotions because I am relatively new compared to them. Gossip and rumors abound. Someone directly said to me that my future successes are to be partially owed to my looks.

It's really just a really indirect way of them telling you that you're pretty.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • Last night my new (only had it 2-months) laptop's charger went boom, and did something to the laptop's battery (or the other way around, I don't know) and it now has to be sent away, of which can take 1-2 weeks. :(
    Oh, did I mention I have exams across these two weeks? Having to use my bf's ancient Alienware laptop where it takes 2 mins minimum to load things. I WILL REVISE ;-;
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited December 2016
    A coworker continually makes terrible recommendations for what I HAVE TO watch on Netflix because they're SO GOOD. The minute she sees me next asks what I thought of the recommendations. A lot of times I watch at least a few minutes of what she's into, but they're uniformly bad and I can't fake enthusiasm or interest when the time comes to give my review. This is the same girl who sweetens her coffee with a literal half cup of sugar, so we clearly have different tastes -- she just doesn't tell me to drink her coffee and give my impressions of it. What to do
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Half cup of sugar?  Ugh. Gross.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Zyphora said:

**Been here. All you gotta say is, "Doubt the boss is gonna risk it for a biscuit. However, yes, I am gloriously pretty. Thank you." and walk off. Funnily enough, said co-worker hasn't spoken to me again- I would say that's a bonus. 
    Daraius said:
    A coworker continually makes terrible recommendations for what I HAVE TO watch on Netflix because they're SO GOOD. The minute she sees me next asks what I thought of the recommendations. A lot of times I watch at least a few minutes of what she's into, but they're uniformly bad and I can't fake enthusiasm or interest when the time comes to give my review. This is the same girl who sweetens her coffee with a literal half cup of sugar, so we clearly have different tastes -- she just doesn't tell me to drink her coffee and give my impressions of it. What to do
    Anyone who puts sugar in their coffee/tea- You need to hang them out to dry. 
    Moon Priestess Ridien says, "The blood of an animal, however, can also be a tool. Consider fetishes -
    - efficient, powerful tools created by ecologists. It is exactly as Kendra says -- a tool of bones 
    and blood that has been magnified, changed, enchanted. Made into a tool."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Zyphora said:

I know how hard you work at your job, and in truth I bet they do too. Only they don't want to admit it because their ego can't handle the truth of it.

So they go after something else they're jealous of you about. TL;DR they're admitting you're better than them in every way.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Turn on your Charismatic Aura. Someone there is obviously influencing with rumours
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Daraius said:
    So what did you ever think of Jem and the Holograms, Daraius? Riveting TV, right?  o:)

(My problematic 80s faves aside, haha, maybe just tell her you don't have much time to catch up on TV shows? That's how I evade a lot of book recommendations. It's also usually a completely true statement.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Stratas said:
    I went to get the prompt for my final essay in my online English class, which has already been one of the most pathetic classes I've ever taken at a college level. But the teacher surprised me by hitting a new low that I thought I would never see, even in this farce of an academic setting:

"I assigned this novel because everything about it is well-written and enlightening.  I've underlined and annotated shit on every page because it's all significant and illuminating!!"

Yep, my English teacher casually used a curse word and emphatic double exclamation marks in an assignment prompt.

To say nothing of the fact that the last essay I received any feedback on was turned in back in September and I received 100% on that despite my working in two quotes from Mobile Fighter G Gundam because it was a more interesting challenge than the actual assignment. (For the curious, the assignment was an analysis of William Blake's poem "The Tyger" and the quotes I used were "glows with an awesome power" and "It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory.")

I literally have no idea how I'm actually doing in this class, and haven't for two months, but I'm assuming my final grade at this point will be done eBay style. "A++ would teach again!!!"
    It's not feasible to get a 100% on any essay (assuming you're not in 4th grade); bad teacher is bad.
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor

Sylandra said:
    Daraius said:
    So what did you ever think of Jem and the Holograms, Daraius? Riveting TV, right?  o:)
    I feel like the only acceptable answer to this is it's truly, truly, truly outrageous.
  • I found out today that an old friend of mine was one of the souls lost in the Oakland fire. I mean, we hadn't been in touch for years. But it's that kind of thing where you hope that your friends in the periphery of your life are still doing their thing out there in the world, you know? And suddenly, they're gone. I'm going between being feeling numb and sad and it's just ugh... 2016 stop taking beautifully talented people from us. T_T

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • Daraius said:
    I recommend Black Books to anyone with Netflix, or Bojack Horseman
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Black books is one of my all time favourites and everyone should watch it.

• Drinking on a school night is still not wise!

When will I learn?
  • edited December 2016
    Lavinya said:

Pretty much anything Dylan Moran or Bill Bailey is in is worth watching.
  • Veyils said:
    Lavinya said:

Pretty much anything Dylan Moran or Bill Bailey is in is worth watching.
    This. An entirety of this
  • Black Books <3  UK Office <3
  • Just need Netflix to pick up Blackadder now...