Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• I mean the simple thing is the mechanics suck in creating a boring task* in that cities can hit communes and force them to do a tedious and boring task and communes cant respond in kind.

So for balance either remove the tedious boring task or give communes a way to hit cities to force them to do a similar task. (Ie exactly what vines vs fire was for)

*(So lets make the game more fun by changing a boring task into a fun one)
  • Like if you want to keep totems as they are bring in a mechanic where if we kill the elemental lords they dont repop themselves until the cities have performed a quest that takes a few days to complete. And while the lords are dead essence power generation is lessened.

Then you can tweak as needed. It'll keep the totems conflict mechanic that the admin seem to like but also then it'd create parity for the communes to hit the cities back or something akin to that.
  • edited December 2016
    Veyils said:
    Talan said:
    Thank you for clarifying. I was left with the impression that if you used ironbark, trees would not generate power (which seemed reasonable) -- not that the gains were negated by the cost.

Kind of unsure where you get the impression nobody is winning here, though.

Totems still generate power but keeping up ironbark 24 7 would cost glom a few hundred power a day but would leave serenwilde still gaining a few hundred power a day just from totems.
    Right - but on the 320 days a year when no totems exist to be chopped because everything is carved, you guys are fine.

Edit: I mean, I do understand the mindset - Glom should have parity with Serenwilde (it's one of the reasons we built the wyrden temple, for more totem rooms) but you're only worse off in the sense that someone who earns $700k/year is 'worse off' than someone who earns $1M.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Another thing I always hated was that I had to teach new Seren players that chopping totems in Glom was not an appropriate response to...anything.

'But we can do this thing that will show them no to mess with us.'
    'No, all you'll be doing is showing them that you're a ****.'

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, right. Two groups win.

My org is winning here. As pointed out, that's not the case for Glomdoring. Regardless  I, the druid envoy for Serenwilde, have, am, and will continue to vocally propose, request, and support other people's proposals and requests that the power generation on totems be truly removed (yes, even though I am a member of the only org who really benefits from this currently) in exchange for making totems otherwise truly unchoppable. This will mean shifting that passive power generation in part to active, native power generation. Multiple schemes for doing this using existing assets and mechanics have been proposed and were not controversial. Somehow I hold this position all because of the power it generates, even though the position is literally to remove the free power my org is currently receiving for no direct effort. I'm just that devious.

The other group are people who want to chop Glom's totems, knowing that a) this doesn't hurt Glom's overall power generation, b) that they can only do so because Glomdoring has no villages (is currently already down), and c) there isn't anything Glom can do to stop them outside of shooting themselves in the foot. Aka griefers. 
    edited December 2016
    Talan said:

Edit: I mean, I do understand the mindset - Glom should have parity with Serenwilde (it's one of the reasons we built the wyrden temple, for more totem rooms) but you're only worse off in the sense that someone who earns $700k/year is 'worse off' than someone who earns $1M.
    Okay... So why not stop us getting a passive $700k-1M a year by removing the power generation and switching it to active generation like the cities in exchange for removing a griefing mechanic? Not only erasing the difference between Glom and Seren but also between cities and forests? Gasp. 

EDIT: And this should take relativly little backstage intervention. Make Ironbark's effect permanent. Change the number allocated to each stage of tree growth to zero. Change the number of essence mobs in EthSeren/Glom to ~33 and remove the special spawning code for them. Bam. Then as time permits, go from there making a more interesting tree/power generation method if anyone feels like tackling it. 
  • edited December 2016
    Talan said:
    Veyils said:
    Talan said:
    Thank you for clarifying. I was left with the impression that if you used ironbark, trees would not generate power (which seemed reasonable) -- not that the gains were negated by the cost.

Kind of unsure where you get the impression nobody is winning here, though.

Totems still generate power but keeping up ironbark 24 7 would cost glom a few hundred power a day but would leave serenwilde still gaining a few hundred power a day just from totems.
    Right - but on the 320 days a year when no totems exist to be chopped because everything is carved, you guys are fine.

And then once every few times a year someone comes into your house and kills your dog. Sure your rich but you still got a dead dog.

• Qistrel said:
    Another thing I always hated was that I had to teach new Seren players that chopping totems in Glom was not an appropriate response to...anything.

'But we can do this thing that will show them no to mess with us.'
    'No, all you'll be doing is showing them that you're a ****.'
    This would be good if it were seren players doing it, even Veyils got spoken to about chopping once we realised where the documentation regarding the pact was. 

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• @Veyils lol! :D

Not sure I would equate totems with beloved pets. Maybe if you were making your money  as a rancher and some animal killed one of your flock/herd. That's probably more apt.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Talan said:
    @Veyils lol! :D

Not sure I would equate totems with beloved pets. Maybe if you were making your money  as a rancher and some animal killed one of your flock/herd. That's probably more apt.
    You're utterly and completely wrong about this roleplay and what it means to the forests.
  • Meanwhile, in Celest... :lol:
    Is Celest still periodically vined over? 
  • Why is this discussion still going? Envoys are looking at it. Nobody has said anything new in any of this since the first few posts.
  • I think Glom and Seren view specific trees very differently, which is why Talan is clashing with Enyalida.

Glom is more about the Wyrd and the collective undefinable Glom-thing. One tree is irrelevant next to the supremacy of the Wyrd.

Where as Seren is the last bastion of true nature, being attacked from all sides, and every tree is a piece of that lost. 
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
    It's not that they're "just trees" or every tree yadda yadda. Cut down as many oak trees in Prime Serenwide as you want. No one will applaud you for it and you'll probably get enemied for trying to steal lumber, but who really cares. The sacred trees are literal outgrowths of the nexus, which is descended from the Tree of Trees, created to anchor the world against Soulless incursion. It goes a lot deeper than that, but they aren't "just some trees" like all the others, nor are they just a power farm.
  • Talan said:

Crek said:
    Ironbark is not a valid defense mechanism. Costs power AND negates their power generation.
    Is this not true then?

48hrs of ironbark: 7,200  power          

Totems and Trees: Earned 2,041 power.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • Creks powerlog summery looks very bad. >.>

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited December 2016
    I mean it's 2 days of them costing 7200 power, 200 days of them generating 410,000 power, yes? (Don't remember how long it takes totems to revert)
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited December 2016
    289 IC days. Unsure if it has day zero like other things.

Edit: Small gripe @Talan
    Elders and totems are not dead trees. They revert to elders because the carvings have been weathered away. They are still living trees  :|
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
  • edited December 2016
    Huh. I thought it was much longer. Even at 12 rl days, you're still getting back much more than you spent.

@Crek Yes, I am sorry for getting it wrong. Dead dogs, live trees. Got it.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited December 2016
    There's no real discussion of mechanics happening here while you guys keep up the hyperbole.

There are no razor blades in your chocolate chip cookies, it's just that you have to bake them from scratch, and sometimes people who are not you walk through the kitchen and take one. Nobody came in your house and killed your dog. They came in your yard and chopped your resource-producing tree that grows back to normal adult size in 3 days because realism.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Ok then. We're agreeing that our cookies are too good. We're willing to just buy store bought diet cookies just like you guys do. The scratch made cookies are good, they make us nice and fat but we don't want to deal with people complaining about how great our cookies are and we are willing to lose some weight buying the store bought diet cookies. But we are asking that we get access to the same coupons you (cities) get so there is equality.
  • Yay. More paintings. Apparently this is going to be a daily thing, where Baelfyre sneaks into Celest off hours, kills a bunch of NPCs and puts up paintings of their corpses while studiously avoiding anyone who could retaliate. Conflict!
  • The metaphors in this thread are hilarious. Sorry to hear about that ithya, stuff like that sucks. 

• @Crek There's no day 0 on them.

Also ours are literally called "a living totem".
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Iytha said:
    Yay. More paintings. Apparently this is going to be a daily thing, where Baelfyre sneaks into Celest off hours, kills a bunch of NPCs and puts up paintings of their corpses while studiously avoiding anyone who could retaliate. Conflict!

Hey, mobs grow back without help. Trees don't. Focus on what's important here.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I wish we could decide if we're using day zero for everything or not!
  • Shaddus said:
    Iytha said:
    Yay. More paintings. Apparently this is going to be a daily thing, where Baelfyre sneaks into Celest off hours, kills a bunch of NPCs and puts up paintings of their corpses while studiously avoiding anyone who could retaliate. Conflict!

Hey, mobs grow back without help. Trees don't. Focus on what's important here.
    Paintings take effort from a trans artist to remove. I could care less about off hours NPC killing.
This discussion has been closed.