General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Have a three hour round trip into the New Forest tonight to drop my daughter off for a weekend camping right after I finish work. Luckily the timings mean I get to hit rush hour both ways.

• Kistan said:
    Have a three hour round trip into the New Forest tonight to drop my daughter off for a weekend camping right after I finish work. Luckily the timings mean I get to hit rush hour both ways.

That's horrible. *hugs*
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    My mom figured an enormous, inflatable, light up Olaf would be a good Christmas decoration for our front yard. She's always been quite judgmental of other people's inflatable lawn ornaments so I have no idea why this...thing is in front of our house now. My best guess is she's gone off the doting grandmother deep end and will give my niece anything she asks for, no matter how objectively terrible that thing is. Seriously...it's, like, 8 feet tall. It's a glowing blue monument to the wretched nature of mankind. Or something else melodramatic like that.

tl;dr - I hate fun and this inflatable Disney character causes me to do a grouchy scowl at my own yard.
  • I would really really like to get through a morning without my daughter being argumentative. 
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2016
    Tristanna said:
    I would really really like to get through a morning without my daughter being argumentative. 
    Jokes :C
  • @Tristanna should make her play imperian for a weekend as punishment.
  • My neighbour (our house is end of terrace, she is the middle house) feels an unnecessary need to slam doors, bang on walls..and it happens at stupid times. Like 11pm when we're heading to bed, or 4am, you know, when we're still trying to sleep. And then in the day you think, yay! She's gone. Oh no she is not. Banging is doubled. It's only just started in the last couple of weeks, so if it keeps up before Christmas I'm going to have to just suck it up and say something to her :(
  • Anita said:
    My neighbour (our house is end of terrace, she is the middle house) feels an unnecessary need to slam doors, bang on walls..and it happens at stupid times. Like 11pm when we're heading to bed, or 4am, you know, when we're still trying to sleep. And then in the day you think, yay! She's gone. Oh no she is not. Banging is doubled. It's only just started in the last couple of weeks, so if it keeps up before Christmas I'm going to have to just suck it up and say something to her :(
    These neighbors are the worst. :(

Have you said anything already? She might not even be aware of her behavior being an issue, which makes it all the more unlikely to go away on its own. Communication is good! The problem might be resolved, just like that.

If she instead becomes the kind of confrontation you're trying to avoid? The police sure can be cathartic sometimes, and they'd def be on your side here.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • It was mentioned when we first moved in, bf is a doctor and had the odd week of nightshifts, so he was sleeping in the day.
    We went around and introduced ourselves in person, and we also wrote a note to let her know. We also wrote to her to let her know we were doing work on the house, and we were sorry for any noise etc.. Reason for second note was she had gone away, so just in case she got back and was wondering why there ton of builders going in and out the house and all of the bad noise going on.  She also likes to ignore the doorbell or knocking, so. My hopes is catching her when I'm going out and she's out there, too. I don't want to be one of these people peeking through the curtains all the time, and I kinda want to approach her in person rather than writing another note.

• Can the landlord deal with it?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • That's the thing.. we are the landlords. It's our own house, and her own house. I have no middle person :(
  • Agree to duel 1 by 1 until only one person is standing, that team wins. 
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Time to roll ANYTHING BUT DREAMWEAVER.
  • edited December 2016
    Moved to another thread.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Kitty died.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Portius said:
    Kitty died.
    All of my wishes sent your way. It's so sad to lose a pet. :( I hope you are feeling ok.
  • Shattered my finger last week playing football. Surgery today put in 4 pins to stabilize the joint. Yes, I'm right handed.in 4 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    TIL my engagement accidentally might upstage my little sister's graduation party (according to her). I don't know what to do about this except stick my ring hand in my pocket and prepare a bunch of conversation maneuvers that can boomerang back to her being the lady of the hour. This may not be enough to avoid Passive Aggressive Moodswings, but one can try.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Is it lots of family coming in for her graduation? Have a dinner the night before to introduce your family to your fiance, then her day can be all about her.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Talan said:
    Is it lots of family coming in for her graduation? Have a dinner the night before to introduce your family to your fiance, then her day can be all about her.
    He won't even be in town, actually! But that is a really good idea. If I can visit everyone first then that chitchat gets let out early, and we can focus on the present conversation topic at hand. Sneaky!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Graduation is a big deal? I kind of thought engagement would be more so I remember my dad didn't even come to my graduation.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Depends entirely on the family.  But yes, for many people graduation is a big deal, it is the culmination of years of work & effort.
  • I detest malicious gossip and rumor mongers with the passion a person usually reserves for their soulmate. Go take a long walk off a short cliff.
    is dead like the dodo
  • Xenthos said:
    Depends entirely on the family.  But yes, for many people graduation is a big deal, it is the culmination of years of work & effort.
    In my experience it depended on what I was gradating from, I still don't care much about my degree so never went but I cared very much about my diploma which gave me actual experience and the network I needed to finally get a job. Also some folks I know didn't wanr to go to theirs but went because their family wanted to see them graduate.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I also regard people who start malingering out of jealousy at <X> (for a usually stupid) reason with the same passionate hate. I think I would hate them a lot less, if I could exterminate them the same way  I would, a cockroach.
    is dead like the dodo
    Xenthos said:

I agree, it varies. She worked very hard to get her degree and it was a tough school, so for her it's definitely a huge deal.
    Daraius said:
  • Veyils said:
    Graduation is a big deal? I kind of thought engagement would be more so I remember my dad didn't even come to my graduation.
    *I* didn't even go to my graduation. They gave a speech for every single person who graduated from my college (I went to a hippie college) and I had no desire to sit through that. Finished up in December and moved to London and assumed my mom had hidden my diploma someplace (she's a hoarder-in-the-making).

I later learned this was a mistake as there was a technical error with my graduate contract (we designed our own majors) and so for a decade I wasn't technically a college graduate despite thinking I was...

Always make sure you really graduate, kids! 
  • edited December 2016
    Veyils said:
    Graduation is a big deal? I kind of thought engagement would be more so I remember my dad didn't even come to my graduation.
    I think this might be a cultural difference. Americans put a lot of emphasis on personal achievements and tend to take all the opportunities to celebrate the individual. We like to celebrate in general, and there are all these other little aspects of it (gift giving, commerce) that get reinforced in many different ways. Graduation is also for the parents/families as much as the graduate. Raising a child to functional adulthood (or even just contributing DNA to this end) is seen as an 'achievement' in itself - look what I made. I'm sure foreigners have seen in our movies and such that graduations are a BFD - people have big parties, get big presents, go on vacation, etc. These things really happen (for those who want them).

I think other places put a lot less emphasis on meeting the expected outcome. Of course you graduated from university - you entered it.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!