Lusternian AMA

Comments

• Hoaracle said:
    Arix said:
    Also, a bunch of the random mountain rooms that are just lovingly described but usually overlooked
    Agreed. We all got very aware of our mountain rooms since the Jungle Curse event (and relatively recently, when a player typoed tons of rooms that we didn't notice had some formatting errors via our prog cleanup). 
    I was wondering! My mapper was so confused hehe
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I like the rooftop garden in Magnagora, especially now there are new ambients at dusk. Amazing.

If Morgfyre ever devours Himself, Lavinya would pursue Drocilla in a heartbeat (in fact I came a hair away from renouncing Morg when She came because He was awol and Drocilla is pretty much my Lusternian inspiration for Lavinya. Would kill to be involved in her plots and intrigues and tea parties.) If not Her, Zvoltz because I'm a sucker for a white knight.

@Shaddus You can start by having the ability to keep me married into d'Murani.

• Hrm, some of the questions that stuck out in my mind:

If Serenwilde disappeared and Tris had to find a new home: toss-up between rogue (can't imagine living in a city or with the wyrd) and celest (lots of family), though there are some aspects of Hallifax - mostly the idea of studying and learning.

If the whole world would blow up - hard to say. While wanting to be friends and loved ones, she tries to do this most of the time anyway, she loathes large groups. So she would probably ignore it and go plink at something here or there.

God she would follow if not Lisaera: Probably Hoaracle - a lot of people she respects would be followers and she'd want to help.

Favorite room: Tris' is overlooking a languid river. or maybe something in the Silver Weald.

and I've forgotten the rest. 
  • edited February 2017
    AMA
    @Everiine why the double i? Phonetics?

EDIT: 
    Favourite room has to be the Bridge of Torment in Magnagora because of just one of the ambients... You get your foot stuck.
    Is also the Shintar.
  • Not that I was asked, but I've literally designed one thing my entire Lusternian career. Some crow lady robes, I think @Rancoura edited them for me? Like 8 years ago. I'm fairly certain they are boring and terrible, and I never actually had them made. Rattusk used to design random things for me. The Kepheran chitin robes were designed by Rattusk for me (remember him?). There's also a heartless fullplate in Glom somewhere designed for me. I was always so flattered!
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I absolutely adore @Nihmriel's work. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shuyin said:

11. Players who influenced sticking around? Xavius (because he killed me and fired the flames of HATRED), Nejii (because he was the coolest seren back in the day), Zia/Kelysa (e-wives), Sarrasri (order shenanigans), and Glom.

You have good taste in friends.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    1. Favorite room in seren?
    - hard to say, but I'd say probably the night gardens in the MD tower. Otherwise maybe the crown above the moonhart mother tree.

2. Which divine to follow if Maylea didn't happen?
    - Good question, I would say that I'd be considering Hoaracle if He'd ever have an order, if I'd end up in Celest, Weiwae certainly sounds interesting too.

3. Players who got me to stick around?
    - I'd say that goes to Kali, Taevyn and Lorah first and Kaimanahi and Saoirse second, plus a lot of other celest people who, after a while, got involved with my character.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Riluna said:
    New question @everybody - When you first started playing, was there a particular player or players that influenced your sticking around?

@Skyla and @Ibaesha. A bit later on @Tsuki and @Sivriel. @Auseklis. @Urazial at various points during the game, but especially when @Shakaya was a wee furrikin who'd just left Magnagora. I suppose it stuck, I'm married to him IRL now.

Hoaracle said:
    @AllPlayers - what is your favorite room in your respective nations? 
    I always enjoyed the Arboretum. Used to hang out there a long time ago, especially at "Atop the Seren Greenhouse". Also at "Shade beneath cherry trees". Also, a long long long time ago, when @Auseklis was still active, I used to sit for hours on end at "A hidden tunnel" in the Grey Moors because he had a shrine there that he'd made a big deal about, something that led to @Bau being added to the Order.. I miss @Auseklis so much, even though I know he's never coming back (something specific got to me about that through the rumour mill a long time ago, so I've long since resigned hope for that idea). Now I'm sad. :(
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited February 2017
    Maligorn said:
    What was your first character on Lusternia, ever?

Rancoura the Shadowdancer. She's actually my first MUD character ever, and whilst I'll finally admit that I have dabbled in alts for curiosity's sake (both in Lusternia and other IRE's), Rancoura is the only one who has really stuck and is something like an alter ego for me.

EDIT: That said, if anyone wants to ask me anything about Rancoura specifically, feel free; but I reserve the right to preserve her mystique. ;)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Breandryn said:
    @everyone - Guys, we messed up at Ascension. The Soulless are coming and we're pretty much doomed. How does your character spend their final day of existence?
    Praying to Night and @Nocht and preparing her soul to spend in Night's Realm for all eternity. Devising ways to help Night fight back, even if it means dispersing the entirety of her essence in order to lend her demidivine strength to her beloved Great Spirit. No biggie.

Karlach said:

Your org blows up tomorrow and isn't coming back, ever.

Where do you relocate to in game (or choose to stay rogue) and why?
    Rancoura would probably become a wandering Night priestess, maintaining her own following and leading others in worship and whatnot. She'd probably set up in the mountains somewhere, because that view. And maybe build a Night temple.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    @Nayl - why the double letter?

No idea :D . I originally thought up the name for a D&D character, an elf ranger, for a campaign that lasted a whole one session (and saw another party get hit in the head by an elevator--twice), so I tried to make an elf-y looking name. It might have been a couple weeks after that when I was introduced to Lusternia, which took my MUD virginity too (keep rocking it, @Rancoura !), so I just took the name over.

The double 'i' doesn't mean anything. It's not even pronounced in my head. I pronounce it EH-veh-rin, so it's totally and completely unnecessary. I just liked the look of it.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited February 2017
    What would Celina do if Ascension failed?

Well during the Xynthin event, one of the alternate timelines was the world was ending, Night was dead, and we were all doomed. In that timeline, Celina spent her last days killing mortal @Xenthos

I'll stick with that. 

• @AllPlayers What are your favourite quest steps or puzzles? Or puzzle types in quests? Not the quest itself as a whole, but maybe just one part or stage of it? 
  • Isune said:
    @AllPlayers What are your favourite quest steps or puzzles? Or puzzle types in quests? Not the quest itself as a whole, but maybe just one part or stage of it? 
    I love Tower of Hanoi type puzzles and mazes.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Isune said:
    @AllPlayers What are your favourite quest steps or puzzles? Or puzzle types in quests? Not the quest itself as a whole, but maybe just one part or stage of it? 

I go for what I call the Myst-like puzzles. Things where the goal might not be entirely clear, but you can poke at things and work them out from environmental clues. Stuff like figuring out the process to make an eaf interest me more than figuring out a mastermind solution. Beyond that, I like things that have more solving and less time spent actually entering the puzzle. So mastermind trumps sudoku on the convenience factor.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • edited February 2017
    Isune said:
    I am bad at puzzles (I googled the Night bubble puzzle, and still managed to do it backwards). True story, none of my quest honors lines were intentional. I either scored a killing hit or someone let me finish their quest. Or on accident, like the Waste Facility.

I enjoyed the risk style puzzle on Bottles? Mucklemarsh? I forget, it's been so long, but you have different types of units and you move them around the bubble and pit them against other units based on their type. I wish it was less random, but I got into it. 
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Isune said:
    My absolute favourite has been the Marani puzzle. It is, without a doubt, the quest that I would farm into infinity if I could, because I love the challenge it gives once you have your small collection of clues from the snails and you've got to start applying critical thinking. It's like a sudoku puzzle, in that regards. Unfortunately, I'm much faster at completing mastermind puzzles, so that's what I've come to be known to be good at.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Dylara said:
    Isune said:
    I love Tower of Hanoi type puzzles and mazes.
    Oh no. I'm the opposite. I hate Tower of Hanoi, I can't do them without cheating. :( If there was a visual element I could probably do it more easily, but just having to track the pieces by words and not pictures makes it impossible for me. If I encounter Tower of Hanoi in a quest, I scream internally.

I like logic puzzles. And while I wouldn't say I'm terribly excited by mastermind puzzles, I love when they show up because they're fast and so, so easy.
  • edited February 2017
    Isune said:
    Ideally, untimed puzzles that save progress between players!

Also quests that require teamwork that isn't killing mobs, 'you go stand on that dingus to weigh it down while I pull this bell rope to signal Rufus to run on the hamsterwheel of doom to open the drawbridge'

Oh, and dress up/disguise quests like Mel- that place with the harlequins. Something like an infiltration quest a la wow could be fun, wear the costume get the thing, keep the costume.

But, I liked the pan pipe version of mastermind to unlock the sileni, so interactive objects that are more than push/pull verbs. EX- a statue with moveable parts that you have to figure out the right combo of moves to get it to open a door. If you get it right, the statue lets you through, get it wrong it spits acid at you. But if you know you're about to get it wrong, you might have the option to Disarm it somehow and still have an alternate way to get through safely.

I really liked the prairie dog whistle portion in Hifarae.

Would be neat to have quests that generate mobs that 'flex' to a character's skills and level.

Ditto on @Sylandra 's love of lore in quests. Like with the new Crys gem quest, I so wanted to keep the journal as a souvenir too. If that was possible, I'd collect each one.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Isune said:
    Tower of Hanoi, sudoku... and the dairuchi rockeater puzzle! Push the little rockeaters, push push... so much fun. Brings me back to the ice skating puzzles from Pokemon.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I enjoyed Xion the most, great mix of all kinds 
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I liked Kryden Valik's  "Get everyone across the river safely" component.

For a Tower of Hanoi alternative, I always thought a Number Rumba puzzle would be good.
    Number Rumba

If you're unfamiliar with the game: 9 identifiable blocks, 4 pegs, with a maximum of 3 blocks on a peg. Goal is to match a target arrangement of the 9 blocks on the same 3 starting pegs.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    And in case if anyone has a question for me, ask away.