Lack of Raves V: Stark Ravin' Glad

Comments

• edited January 2014
    The key thing about Lillie speaking so timidly is because, at the core of her RP, she IS timid, and expresses herself better through writing and ritual than simply talking. I mean, geez, for the first few IC years she existed she didn't say anything at all (and I honestly wouldn't mind/have been considering going back to that). That's why I write so much stuff in her name. If you don't like the stutter, then go on down to the library and BROWSE AUTHOR LILLIE.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I feel I'm going to enter a level of rude when I continue. I don't care about your books, they aren't going to solve the fact that you continue to speak where we all have to hear you and those include 4 um's and countless stutters. It's unbearable to read anything you put out to my screen and I'm not even close to being alone. Someone actually PROVIDED you with a possibe solution to cleaning it up by using the emote say's, and I just had a longer argumenet with someone who simply told me it was a speech impediment instead.  Magnagoran society at it's core is ruthless, harsh, we are ment to be the evil city. New players have softened us up entirely too much to the point where we're like 'ohhhh nooo don't discourage them, they'll leave'. At a rate I can understand this, however we're moving further away from the root of the ORIGINAL Concept that was born in year 1 where Mag would just kill each other for -fun-. Now it's illegal to kick someone that's your friend! 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The only thing that I ever take issue with is if a stutterer stutters over an aether.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Churchill had a stutter.

You never heard that in any of his speeches.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I agree that stuttering shouldn't be done over an aether as it's a mental channel. The only reason I persist in doing it is to piss people off and watch hilarious overreactions because there was a time when I did have Lillie only stutter in person (literal years ago in Serenwilde) and anytime someone met him in person rather than hearing him over the aether they'd assume something terrible had happened and I'd get bothered with 'why are you stuttering now when you weren't before? Are you afraid of me personally? I never did anything to you!'

It just feels more consistent this way; I really have no idea why it's so completely and totally unbearable to a select few people.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• It is simply annoying. Everyone has their own threshold of what irritates them, and different things can trigger different reactions in different people. Nothing to be confused about - if you're not going to be perfectly simple and understandable by "normal" societal standards, then expect backlash from certain quarters. (In fact, expect backlash even if you're perfectly simple and understandable by societal standards.)

That said, whether or not stuttering in real life or in a game irritates you as a person out of the game, doesn't mean you have a right to persecute them in the game. It's a very simple excercise in separating IC from OOC. Magnagora, "ruthless" as it may be, is not an entity that exists to persecute stuttering, no matter how irritating you find it on a personal level. If your character finds it irritating as well, sure, go ahead and express annoyance or hostility. Whatever. I doubt anyone would care much. However, bleeding your own likes and dislikes and trying to conflate that with Magnagora's likes and dislikes is, ironically, not logical. "Magnagora was ruthless, WHY ARE WE ACCEPTING STUTTERERS?!" simply makes no sense - whether or not you like stuttering doesn't matter to Magnagora. Stuttering has never come up as a problem in Magnagora's history in any way shape or form. Feel free to find anything in the lore that contradicts me. (Note that you can substitute "magnagora" with any of the game's orgs. I highly doubt any org sees stuttering as a crime. Except maybe the bardic guilds. Maybe.)

If your character is in a position of power in Magnagora (and also hates stuttering enough to want to persecute it), feel free to try and make it a law or whatever. That's entirely up to you. Whether or not you meet resistance or agreement in the political arena with that proposal is also entirely up to the playerbase. You never know, you could go down in Lusternian history as the person to introduce stutter discrimination in Magnagora on top of its other discriminatory policies.

If your character is not in a position of power, then... well, suck it up.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    For me, it's painful because a) it makes you look like you're terrified all the time, which does not represent any of the tenets of the demon lords well at all (it's almost a mockery if you ask me), and since you're no longer GR1 or CR1, you really shouldn't be deathly afraid (a cautious nervousness of the people that might squish you makes more sense) of the ideals you are supposedly upholding to achieve your ranks (but then when family favour you up even when you were too scared to touch the Megalith, I guess we don't need to uphold any of the city/guild ideals of strength and power and overcoming weakness and fear and changing to be greater. The taint is supposed to make us more aggressive and hungry, living in it, you'd have to be feeling it too)

and mostly b) because it's a pain to read. As in, it takes longer to read and process exactly what you are trying to say, and in a text game, it's kinda frustrating. You can portray your speech impediment as was suggested by Tacita, giving you the rp inflection you want without making it hard to read.

edited January 2014
    Lerad I think you're missing the point. It's the timidness we don't accept

(Magnagora): Lillie says, "Um, p-please note that, um, b-Brother Esca and I w-will be p-performing a r-ritual shortly. If, um, if you'd like to attend, y-you need only t-to prepare by w-writing a secret, a scheme, or s-something similar upon a scrap of paper. I-it will be ready soon."

A city tell in question. 
  • edited January 2014
    On the subject of raves, I managed to write and do a cool ritual after speaking with Baalphegar.

• It was fun, glad I could help. To add a rave of my own: finally got CR6! More importantly: Brainwash.

You leave Kurubear alone, she gives me food.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus, you'll notice that I made a point not to name names
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
    I didn't either, technically.
    Silvanus said:

Churchill had a stutter.

You never heard that in any of his speeches.
    I thought it had been discovered that he had someone doing his talking for him over the radio?
  • Rave for an unusually busy day. A ritual and then like three hours of library chat. Learning about fish and history!
  • This is scary but I am again agreeing with Munsia.  The stutter indicates that she is a lesser member of society......oh wait she is n'Lochli

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Are you really surprised?
  • edited January 2014
    Lillie said:
    I agree that stuttering shouldn't be done over an aether as it's a mental channel.
    I feel like this is one of those mistakes that's become true through repetition, but no, aethers are audible.  You can hear them.  The histories make very clear that there are sounds on them, that they're like radio.  They're also still blocked by deafness (unless that changed since I went dormant).

Not that I'm arguing for stuttering on them, or, gods forbid, accents like Klia's inexplicable h-dropping thing.  Just saying, this is a bit of canon that has probably been lost, but whose intent was clear.
  • edited January 2014
    Watch this. That's all.

(Actually may wanna research a lil around the King's Speech, but yes. Great movie. Highly recommended for cases of stuttering.)
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Nocht said:
    You all managed to turn a raves thread into a complaint thread... Let's get back on track. I'll start: Mother Night is superior to all other spirits!
    Word. Night is such an amazing skillset, I actually can't remember the days before I had it all that well anymore.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Nocht said:
    You all managed to turn a raves thread into a complaint thread... Let's get back on track. I'll start: Mother Night is superior to all other spirits!
    I miss Night and all her shadowy goodness. I was just reading through some old SD news posts. Gawd, @Astraea and I were some snooty, manipulative bitches. Rave for snooty, manipulative bitches!
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I personally believe that hissing and lisps should make a comeback as far as. Rp "quirks" go.

Needs more snowflake diversity.
    Morkarion said:
    Nocht said:
    Wyrd. Night is such an amazing skillset, I actually can't remember the days before I had it all that well anymore.
    Fixed
  • Shuyin said:

I personally believe that hissing and lisps should make a comeback as far as. Rp "quirks" go.

Needs more snowflake diversity.

There's a Perl script that translates text into the Swedish chef from the Muppets. That'd make a great rp accent.
    Nocht said:
    You all managed to turn a raves thread into a complaint thread... Let's get back on track. I'll start: Isune is superior to all other gods!
    Fixed.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    There was someone who randomly prefaced their says with one of several extremly annoying 'accent texts'. I gagged them out, sweet relief. 
    Haiden, I think.
This discussion has been closed.