General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I get the reasons why people do it Lavy, I'm not disagreeing with the concept, and at no point did I call them a terrible parent.

But at the same time I've a business to run, and someone allowing their kid to scream the place down for 10 minutes (yes I checked) was driving other people out of the store. At that point it's gotten to the stage where everyone else's day is being affected. It's not presuming someone's a bad parent, but that they think it's acceptable to everyone else while they take their time just browsing (the fact they didn't buy anything is irrelevant in the big picture but an additional annoyance) and then making no apologies for clearing the store of customers.

I've no problem for their parenting techniques, I've a massive issue with their distinct lack of consideration for the general public, yes sure you've got things to do that day, so does everyone else, and they aren't being disruptive to your getting things done. I sympathise that they have someone making their time difficult, but that's a responsibility as parent they've taken on. That doesn't give them a right to share that burden with everyone else, and force their shrieking banshee on other people who also just want to get on with their day.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Staying up from 2am to 8am trying to do some crazy quest in the Undervault. Ack.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

• My kids are at the age where all I have to do is give a LOOK. I don't miss tantrums, no not at all...

Mysrai strokes the decapitated head of Persayis tenderly.

---------------------------------------------------

Mysrai Thrice-Crowned intones, "DZA NA III."

You say, "Dzaa."

You nod your head emphatically.

Mysrai nods solemnly.

Mysrai gives you a peck on the cheek.

Reality solidifies, mending itself into a single paradigm as Mysrai departs.

• It's a glorious day when a child reaches that conventional stage of development where they'd rather take a right hook to the jaw than know they've disappointed somebody(although too many are never reaching that point these days).

Stangmar - Retired

• Morkarion - spend 2mins in the shoes of the parents and your opinion will change. It is certainly not a position anyone likes to be in nor a position a parent willing inflicts on anybody else or the public.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Leolamins said:
    Morkarion - spend 2mins in the shoes of the parents and your opinion will change. It is certainly not a position anyone likes to be in nor a position a parent willing inflicts on anybody else or the public.
    Gods help you if you a broke single parent/guardian of a child prone to tantrums due to any sort of illness or disorders. Nothing like having to carry a three month old through a grocery store wailing her head off because everything's too bright, too loud, and there are too many people, but you need to go shopping for food and it's offpeak shopping hours. At that point, you stop caring if others are offended by the loudness of the child; you're on a mission. Get what you need, gtfo, and get home. Apologizing just slows things down and you're going to get judged whether or not you say anything.

Raising kids is tough.
    If this was a grocery shop, or place that sells vital necessities I'd concede a point. Spending the next 10 minutes looking at dresses while parking your kid on the opposite side of the shop? Sorry, my sympathy hit zero when it's clear there was no consideration for other people.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    You really can't win as a parent - your kid is screaming, it's your fault for not controlling them. You publicly reprimand them, you get judged for whatever technique you do or don't use or for publicly shaming or embarassing the child...seriously. You can not win.

I will concede that children scream, and cry, and yell and moan. But you as a parent have taken on the responsibility of said child, and when it comes to a point where their actions are having a serious negative effect on everyone else, it's the point to remove them from the situation. Multiple other people have said here there's a point where they remove their child from the situation, and this isn't a small paddy cry, this was 10 constant minutes of full volume noise in an enclosed environment.

I mean the other recourse is to ask the parent to leave, which in hindsight I'm starting to wish I had done. Losing customers at peak trading time on a Saturday, and in exchange made no sales from her and had a thumping headache.

• Doing my cognitive complexity project at 4am.  My class starts in 8 hours.  Happy day.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

• Morkarion said:
    If this was a grocery shop, or place that sells vital necessities I'd concede a point. Spending the next 10 minutes looking at dresses while parking your kid on the opposite side of the shop? Sorry, my sympathy hit zero when it's clear there was no consideration for other people.
    Heaven forbid a woman wants to buy something nice for herself. You don't know why she is shopping for dresses. Maybe she wants to do herself that one favour, maybe she has somewhere to be, or maybe she just wants to give some money to charity. She parked the kid out of the way, at least. Yes, it was annoying for you, and yeah people left, but would they have stayed otherwise? No way to know. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Morkarion said:

I mean the other recourse is to ask the parent to leave, which in hindsight I'm starting to wish I had done. Losing customers at peak trading time on a Saturday, and in exchange made no sales from her and had a thumping headache.
    Maybe you could have given the child some candy or a lollipop. From the pictures I've seen of you Morkarion, you strike me as someone that would be a natural in entertaining kids. I find that a genuine smile from a stranger will either calm kids down (or scare them).

Your comments actually reminded me on one of my trips back home (13 hour flight) and there was a child crying for more than half the flight on the plane. Poor thing probably had problems with the air pressure. At one point, I laughed out loud because she/he took like a 15 second break and I saw everyone around me breath a sigh of relief which was short lived....

Being a parent is hard because kids don't play by the same rules as adults or they don't understand what the parents are telling them.
    We don't sell that stuff, and company guidelines probably has some bullshit clause that we can't act. We're not even allowed to do basic first aid on site to customers even though some of us are fully trained.

I tend to have good rapport with most of the kids that come in, just that whole scenario irked me.

• No. No more snow. I am soooooo done with it. I demand that it ceases falling right now.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Someone forgot to tell the east coast that it's late March. Snow season is over. Where are my damn flowers?
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

PS I hate kids. Loathe them beyond all possible description. I hate when people introduce me to their kids and I'm forced to be fake nice and give a crap about their ugly shoes or that they can count to 12. Or the ones that just stare at me while snot runs down their nose. God damn creepy little buggers.

Yet, as much as I hate them and their infinite snotty, sticky, loud obnoxiousness, even I know that a screaming baby in a store is, at its very worst, an annoyance. To say that someone else's screaming kid intereferes with my day and is disrupting what I need to get done is ridiculous. Being annoyed is not a "serious negative effect." If you, or anyone, actually believe you are genuinely unable to function in society around a loud kid...or anything that can be considered "annoying," you may be a bigger baby than the one screaming and crapping everywhere.

People have to have kids. It's literally vital to our society. Kids scream and are gross and annoying. Making a big deal about it is like being pissed at the sky for being blue today. BLUE IS ANNOYING, I WANT A YELLOW SKY. GRRAAGH I CAN'T FUNCTION LIKE THIS.

(sorry, the edit function isn't working for me atm for some reason :( )

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Celina said:

People have to have kids. It's literally vital to our society. 

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    If people do not have kids, what will happen to your cakes? :o

Some of your neatest ones you have presented are for children's birthdays!
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Must sit down and work on my custom instrument. >[
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• The sun shines bright outside the library today, not a student to be seen
    An essay about simulations, and it looks like I'm outoffreakingideas
    Historical simulations are so bloody diverse, gonna write some more, try to fill a page....
    Don't look out, don't see the sun, don't think about all they way you could have fun
  • edited March 2014
    Aerdiya said:
    The sun shines bright outside the library today

Must be nice. Here on the East Coast, we get to sing the song the way it was originally, frozen skywater and all. In late March.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • Drama at work. Luckily I am not involved in it but damn can people talk ugly behind each other's backs. Sure, they're right, this person messed up. But calling her fat and retarded is just uncalled for. On the other hand this whole conflict is dragging out and I can see why everyone is so annoyed. It's a clash of personal agendas and people being kept on despite not performing, and those who know they are under-performing protecting their asses at all costs. The sad truth is that this is demotivating for everyone, even those not involved like me. Plus it makes me rather anxious of what might be said behind my back. Merf :(
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Ieptix said:
    Oh, oh, my turn for weather-related dissatisfaction!

This next week is supposed to be mostly in the 40Fs, and even reach past 50F for a day or two. This is far too hot and utterly unacceptable and I want my winter back. The acceptable range of months for snow is Sept. through July. Everywhere.
    Where do you live that you hate 50F?

If I could find somewhere affordable that is perpetually between 40F and 75F I might be happy forever, as a side note.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited March 2014
    Ileein said:

Must be nice. Here on the East Coast, we get to sing the song the way it was originally, frozen skywater and all. In late March.

I am in New England and it is nice and sunny here!

It is in the teens as far as temperature goes, but still, there is at least some sun on the poor downtrodden East Coast.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
  • ....that is so not fair. Evil bear. :(

Avatar by the most wondrous Feyrll