General Impressions on Overhaul

Comments

• Yeah, I think you're right in that weaknesses have grown in importance while resistances have decreased, which kind of stinks. Maybe it's not a matter for the overhaul, but it'd be nice if at some point it could get another look from a more zoomed-out perspective, so to speak.

(Speaking purely subjectively just for a moment, I would sell my firstborn if lucidian could lose a level or two of fire weakness. Heck, the Book of Tae even says that "Xyl didn’t mind the heat and was even able to wade through the lava pools to scout around, so I suppose he was good for something." But like I said, in general I don't like whining about just one race; I'd not bring it up if it weren't part of a huge swathe of weaknesses that seem to have arisen in the late-2008 race revamp.)
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • edited March 2014
    Celina said:
    Right. This is quite clearly all about "what you want," but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If you don't want it to come off as agenda driven, I would suggest not using phrases like "removed," "neuter combat," "definition of unneeded," "serves no real purpose," or other alarmist remarks that you simply can't substantiate at this point. The overhaul is fundamentally changing how afflictions work. You're arguing to wildly change a skillet based solely on the assumption that you know how healing will work in a totally new affliction environment. If you want to offer constructive feedback, focus on what exists. Not how you want unreleased things to exist in Malarious world.
    Everything I am noting you can look at the current overhaul.

1) Every skill causes 1-2 levels of afflictions (presently I do not believe anything gets to 3). Most trees aim for level 4/5 affs.   Healing can remove an aff for no eq/bal. This means you never get past level 2 in an aff.
    Thus: We would need to change how CURE ME works if we want a way to fight it.

2) Aura's cure afflictions on a tic. Depending on the rate afflictions are intended to build this will greatly extend the timer, or even negate all building.
    Thus: Aura's could make combat nigh pointless. Placed on another person, again based on tic rate, could make attempting to kill the second person with your class design also pointless.

You seem to be trying to knit pick for some reason, there is no hidden math or agenda. That is my laid out logic on it. If you change both healing AND auras though you have basically changed the whole set. Then you run into people like Zouviqil who (rightfully) wants the skill to do something. You have to make it not a complete waste of time to fight while making  it not a waste of time to have.... which sounds like a solid time to replace it unless there is an idea to make it meet the needs of both sides of the fence. 

No idea why you seem to wish to try to bicker about it. That is my rationale and people may debate it as they like if they are so inclined. I have made my notes and offered the simple reasoning (simple because it is one level, I did not delve deeper or assume mechanics that may or may now exist).  You are free to interpret as you will.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited March 2014
    See, thats how I know there's more to this. your complaints are about what healing is capable of now. If you don't see a problem with the things I quoted back to you, this discussion is pointless. End of convo!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:
    Synkarin said:
    Yeah, that doesn't happen, there's a limit to how drunk you can make someone. You may have been a bit drunk for 25 mins, but nothing that should really affect actions or cause you to stumble over etc. I've tested this on quite a few people. I can't push myself out of sober as a dwarf brewmeister.

The main point being if you want to complain about certain mechanics, then you should at least know what you're talking about. Making stuff up doesn't help your case. I'm all for a change to alcohol and surrounding mechanics, but I'm not on board to overly nerf it because certain people cry about it more than it deserves.
    Fumble about 20% doesn't affect actions? (Again, this is with the arti, perform sober and at max tolerance after 4 earworts) Sure thing. I'd really hate to see how bad it is for someone who has no tolerance or arti. I'm not going to comment on the other issues I see with Minstrelry because I'd be 'crying' yet again.
    Yeah, I'm calling you out on it. I just simply don't believe you. Please provide a log of you fumbling 20% because all my testing says that with the artifact and tolerance, that's just not possible to do as a Minstrel.

Not to mention that if you were fighting me (which I imagine you were, but maybe not), I don't keep up alcoholichaze, which is the passive drunk building song because it's just not that effective (I get more sober as it's up, not more drunk). So all your drunkenness was from shotnote which as I said, I can't push myself out of being sober with it up. So yeah, you're exaggerating it.or not being entirely truthful.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Ileein said:
    Yeah, I think you're right in that weaknesses have grown in importance while resistances have decreased, which kind of stinks. Maybe it's not a matter for the overhaul, but it'd be nice if at some point it could get another look from a more zoomed-out perspective, so to speak.

(Speaking purely subjectively just for a moment, I would sell my firstborn if lucidian could lose a level or two of fire weakness. Heck, the Book of Tae even says that "Xyl didn’t mind the heat and was even able to wade through the lava pools to scout around, so I suppose he was good for something." But like I said, in general I don't like whining about just one race; I'd not bring it up if it weren't part of a huge swathe of weaknesses that seem to have arisen in the late-2008 race revamp.)
    You didn't even include the -wood races. Talk about bighuge weaknesses and resistances that aren't worth much.
  • Ah, yeah, I completely forgot about them; I was dormant when they were released, and I literally just ran down the list on HELP RACES. Even more so, then!
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • DajDaj
    edited April 2014
    Didn't read much of anything here but I thought it might be a good idea to mention things about support skills. Most bard skills, post-music, and the healing skill. It would be really cool to see the revamps in such a way that could make a "support" combatant viable. Once again, I'm not sure how to do this, but providing temporary buffs and debuffs could be nice, healing afflictions and whatnot from afar could be fun. I know the healing class "can" already do these things but with the complexity and fast pace of combat, it's virtually impossible to support from afar.

Edit: Forgive me if I double post in another hour or so. This whole combat revamp has got me wanting to play again.
  • edited April 2014
    I'm also idly watching the overhaul.  A couple of you might be aware that I was arguing about combat with people in Imperian recently.  Although we have a tendency to take mechanics out of the game (aeon, retardation/night, rebounding, and in Imperian's case maybe more) we don't see anything fundamentally new added.  I am hoping that Lusternia's combat overhaul breaks this trend.  From what I've heard of the current system, it's just a simplification and while I'm obviously still here, still watching and still hoping, that wouldn't cut it for me when for the same buy-in I could start playing Destiny on the PS4 around the time when this overhaul might be going live.

Speaking of buy-in, for the first year or two of Lusternia, I could kill people as a knight without artifacts, then it became more trouble than it was worth.  I only made Winnae because I saw Winnie in the game while messing around on a newbie out of boredom, and thought to myself, "why didn't they name it Winnae if the old god was Tae?" Good times followed but they weren't really PvP-based good times because the buy-in was too high and this in the long run probably cost Lusternia more money than it made.

I'm a big fan of random factors in MUDS because I think it compensates for the lack of a 1v1 positioning game and few human reflex elements, but I also think that a desire to sell knight artifacts kept randomness from being implemented well in Lusternia in the past.

IMHO, the role of artifacts should be damage and the role of damage should be in team combat.  1v1 combat should be decided by skill and not by money spent (after a reasonable buy-in takes place).  Without a graphics-based positioning game, managing random factors that require some sort of cost-benefit analysis has always struck me as the best incarnation of IRE gameplay, but Lusternia only had that for the first year or two like I said.  Even so, it had it done pretty well at one point and I hope to see it come back so that I can recommend this game to new people with a straight face.

tl;dr - damage should be team combat only, otherwise 1v1 is pay to win, I want to see something new, manage randomness without artifacts, a cost-benefit analysis that interacts with this randomness.  I think knight combat was like that before knight artifacts became widespread.
    Damage really isn't that bad. One specific skill of a certain damage type is the culprit. I haven't had issues with damage in ages though.
  • edited April 2014
    Enyalida said:
    Some would say that the biggest issue in Lusternian combat right now is group combat, and that the biggest problem with group combat in turn is runaway damage.

Don't get me wrong, I've never been a fan of IRE's group combat as a game or of damage as a strategy.  It's just that I don't see either going away or being significantly changed.
    Random disagrees. The damage formulas have not changed. Damage is what it was 4 years ago. Only now health pools are bigger. Complaining over some imagined secret reworking of the damage formulas across the game is a quick trip to nowhere town. But by all means carry in with the "the unchanged damage is suddenly ruining the game now."
  • Formula's have not changed, access to buffs has.  Blame Curio's and mix maxing on that one.  The ever popular balestone (room mass damage), staffs, room nukes from chems, and destruction have made crazy damage more rampant than ever. And Room damage is king.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Celina said:
    Random disagrees.
    Mine was about your statement that it's one skill, in one damage type, when you can achieve the same nuke potential with other abilities in other damage types.

The issue is there are people who are pushing the min/max formula of damage in an arms race against other people's mitigation, and more often than not they're winning by a landslide. People don't use all the sources of DMP available to them (by that I mean skills and abilities they already have, not things they could get with more credits) and complain damage is high.

It's like owning a set of kevlar body armour, choosing not to wear it, then complaining that knives are overpowered.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Malarious said:
    Formula's have not changed, access to buffs has.  Blame Curio's and mix maxing on that one.  The ever popular balestone (room mass damage), staffs, room nukes from chems, and destruction have made crazy damage more rampant than ever. And Room damage is king.

Curios have added 10 dmp. So less than 10%. You're looking at less than 5% for the min maxers after war and tattoos. That is the only buff that was added. The formulas -have not changed-. I take the time to stack my resistances and magically I don't have issues with damage as the single squishiest race in the game. The only damage skills that need to be changed are the mass Mage bomb and change destruction to a different type. Magic or something. The balestone and chem skills were nerfed hard so I don't know why people stil complain about those.
    As for disagreeing that it's not one skill, most people don't have a 3 second balance fire damage attack. So no, it's really not the same as "other nukes."
    Celina said:
    As for disagreeing that it's not one skill, most people don't have a 3 second balance fire damage attack. So no, it's really not the same as "other nukes."
    3.5, you're taking racial balance bonuses into account.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Thoros said:
    If you think you can take on damage from 2 people and you have every right to survive, you're wrong. If you're dying in 3 seconds after being focused by 4+ people, that's -normal-. It's group combat folks. Survival should be difficult if you're being focused by 4/5/6/7/8/9/20 people. It shouldn't take a group of 5 people to take 30+ seconds to kill you, it should be near instant if they are doing it right. And wearing a lvl 2 electric/fire weakness, destruction isn't -that- bad, nor are any 100% lightning attacks, cantor 50% divinus/fire attack isn't bad, hell nothing is really that bad, it's all about your race/class combo. If you're bitching about dying in 3 hits as a mugwump, then you have no right to complain because you chose to sacrifice 1500 extra health for the lvl 3 equ bonus! It's the laws of combat guys, use some common sense. =)
    Well, I'd agree... if it weren't for the fact that there's numerous abilities that scale with target health. That said, would you like to examine exactly how many races are weak to fire in the first place? I have been trying to say that destruction needs change of damage type and not to scale with int, but every time I try to make said suggestion it is either completely ignored or there's claims that it's "not so bad". As to people not bothering to get all the boosts they can, well... like I've said before... I either min-max damage (i.e. go lucidian) or I min-max for survivability against fire (i.e. go dracnari) Certain organizations don't get to have their cake and eat it, too. Now if I was a Pyro, I'd have both survivability against fire and a pretty good boost to my direct damage. True, dracnari have a level 3 malus against cold, but they're also quite tanky and considering how many races are resistant to cold versus how many are weak to it, I'd say chances are I'd be running into cold damage only from people who really have no other options.

That said, one should also consider that even though fire malus is the most predominant weakness in all the races, there's only one bard guild that gives a straight 10dmp damage buff, and that's the minstrels who boost fire damage. Bit of a frustrating coincidence, but there you have it.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.

• Thoros said:
    If you think you can take on damage from 2 people and you have every right to survive, you're wrong. If you're dying in 3 seconds after being focused by 4+ people, that's -normal-. It's group combat folks. Survival should be difficult if you're being focused by 4/5/6/7/8/9/20 people. It shouldn't take a group of 5 people to take 30+ seconds to kill you, it should be near instant if they are doing it right. And wearing a lvl 2 electric/fire weakness, destruction isn't -that- bad, nor are any 100% lightning attacks, cantor 50% divinus/fire attack isn't bad, hell nothing is really that bad, it's all about your race/class combo. If you're bitching about dying in 3 hits as a mugwump, then you have no right to complain because you chose to sacrifice 1500 extra health for the lvl 3 equ bonus! It's the laws of combat guys, use some common sense. =)
    This isn't a fact. It's a matter of opinion.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    And while I agree many (or most) people don't maximize their damage resistances, I do not think that is cause to dismiss the still existing balance issues of destruction.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:
    Thoros said:
    Well, I'd agree... if it weren't for the fact that there's numerous abilities that scale with target health. That said, would you like to examine exactly how many races are weak to fire in the first place? I have been trying to say that destruction needs change of damage type and not to scale with int, but every time I try to make said suggestion it is either completely ignored or there's claims that it's "not so bad". As to people not bothering to get all the boosts they can, well... like I've said before... I either min-max damage (i.e. go lucidian) or I min-max for survivability against fire (i.e. go dracnari) Certain organizations don't get to have their cake and eat it, too. Now if I was a Pyro, I'd have both survivability against fire and a pretty good boost to my direct damage. True, dracnari have a level 3 malus against cold, but they're also quite tanky and considering how many races are resistant to cold versus how many are weak to it, I'd say chances are I'd be running into cold damage only from people who really have no other options.

That said, one should also consider that even though fire malus is the most predominant weakness in all the races, there's only one bard guild that gives a straight 10dmp damage buff, and that's the minstrels who boost fire damage. Bit of a frustrating coincidence, but there you have it.

Yeah, how crazy that gaudiguch synerigzes in fire damage. I mean, who'd have thunk it. Orgs synergizing in some way? Crazy

Fire weak races have always existed, and in fact, the weaknesses have been toned down

That being said, I don't really see any other org that 'gets to have it's cake and eat it too'.  People definitely tank destruction just fine (including you Elanorwen) so the talk about it being overpowered just comes across as crybaby whining to me. People complain about my destruction and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm on the weaker end of it, my Int is crap (17 on a good day). I know Nightgaze and staffcasts definitely do more than I do. Gaudi picks and chooses just like anyone else, so I'm not really buying the argument there. 

I mean for instance, take you choosing Dracnari. You get base 14 Int (16 with titan+endowment) so you could easily have 18-20 int if you wanted, which would help deal more damage. You'll be tanky and be dealing decent amounts of damage. Not as much as lucidian, but pretty close. So I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited April 2014
    Celina said:
    And while I agree many (or most) people don't maximize their damage resistances, I do not think that is cause to dismiss the still existing balance issues of destruction.
    Don't know... I was running dracnari for the specific reason of having the Fire resist... with elementshield, frost pot, fire proofing, fire resist tattoo, a small fire resist curio, kirigami and beer at 10dmp levels (Add dracnari alcohol tolerance, I don't remember exact number there), and I still thought destruction was hurting a bit too much. And, of course, my base int at that point was 14 as opposed to the 17 from lucidian, so my damage potential was nowhere near where it could be.

EDIT: The only way to get more fire resist would have been Aerochem for the 20dmp, but at that point, I doubt it'd have amounted to more than 6% and we all know how great Chem/Wood is for offense.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Elanorwen said:
    Well, I'd agree... if it weren't for the fact that there's numerous abilities that scale with target health.
    Just so you are aware, these abilities almost universally have a base damage and a percentage.  This means that more health is always better; the base damage amount can be significant on someone with low health, making the entire attack a significant portion of the health pool, whereas on heftier targets the base damage is negligible (leaving the attack rather more ineffective).
    Xenthos said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Well, I'd agree... if it weren't for the fact that there's numerous abilities that scale with target health.
    Just so you are aware, these abilities almost universally have a base damage and a percentage.  This means that more health is always better; the base damage amount can be significant on someone with low health, making the entire attack a significant portion of the health pool, whereas on heftier targets the base damage is negligible (leaving the attack rather more ineffective).
    Oh, I'm aware... they still scale... and then there's certain attacks that are completely based on target health. Pyre comes to mind, which only works in a group or as a pyromancer due to the special nature of the pyromancy beast. Granted, it scales with current health, not max... but eh, even then, pyre is a decent bomb that adds a fair amount of burns to the target, thus working towards aiding the pyromancer's insta kill method.

"Thinking it hurts too much," is about as anecdotal as it gets.

MY issue with destruction isn't that its base damage does too much. I have it, and my Nightgaze surpasses it by a wide margin (albeit slower, so I'm not sure how the DPS works out).

It's that the mechanics behind destruction are too convenient, and upset a lot of the balance that existed before it. Warriors shouldn't be nuke bombing people. Wump and Merian shouldn't be universally harder to play because ascendants. It's basically a nuke skill that caters to a specific, already powerful, meta.

Define a bit too much, because numbers mean more than wishy-washy phrases.

Also consider who was hitting you, if you went against someone with similar, or equal offensive DMP, 20-21 int and holding war domoth, while it's likely you were also under sensitivity (usually a given considering anyone who destros tends to macro it in with a beast spit, when there's usually at least two of us sensitivity tends to stick) and omen (a given when fighting most of the time against Mag) you can scale damage quickly.

Destruction at base damage is not as much of an issue as people make it out to be, when I've had that many force multipliers involved I've had the same results using Nightgaze instead. Alright it's a (roughly) 3.7 instead of a 3.2 balance, but people are getting burst down hard because of the stacking of DMP + int scaling + sensitivity + omen means they're going to get hurt. If you think that you shouldn't be damaged down when you're under sensitivity and/or omen then you're not asking for a balanced game.

Side note, I also play Aslaran, I've been a tracker without Nightkiss and taken Kelly's inquidestro combine and survived it. I've had her + Xena bashing me with destro and survived it. I'll be honest I don't think the people with access to Destruction in Celest/Seren/Halli min-max it as effectively, but that's something I can say in general. I've gone over logs and struggled to find any attempts to make sensitivity stick on your damage target, no Ibululu, no hexes. 19-20 int is what I tend to run with, I rarely hit 21, and yet I get people complaining about my damage, I'm not hiding some magic trick as to why I can be a hit so hard, the methodology, buffs and defences have all been listed and not just by me, but by Sidd, Shuyin, Celina (Nightgaze murder yo) Munsia and several others.

Replication to favour damage available to you is not beyond impossible.

As to the other topic racials horrifically skewed to favour fire damage? Yes, but 2/3 of the northern orgs have guilds with access to fire, you have Ascendants with access to fire, and a 10 DMP boost from a bard song is not a make or break to the point that we're having such disparity, without Omen being involved. But when the overhaul does come, I'd like to see fire become less of a key thing, same could be said for Divinus as anything adjusted to racial mechanic will invariably affect bashing too. And Divinus has more target selection in bashing than anything else.

Also buff cold, asphyxiation and blunt target ranges.

Well I think just changing the damage type of Destruction to a split magic/fire or some other combination would fix the issue.

IMO split damage types keeps the meta from going crazy because buffs like tattoos in curios are halved or require doubles, thus sacrificing something else. Nightgaze is great but slow. It would be BANANAS if it was pure excoro or pure psychic. My buffs are limited because I have to cater to both damage types. When you're getting into the thousands of damage, the 2% and 3% extras really make an impact.

And move it to equilbrium where it belongs. It is a fireball that scales with int. I don't know why it was balance in the first place.