Comments

• edited December 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Arcanis said:
    Synkarin said:
    Arcanis said:
    Synkarin said:
    Yeah, free stuff is the pits
    Yep, because that's the basis of our entire complaints about the gnomes. Not that the gifts were faaaar more satisfying to get before the nerf. Not that one could get more than 1 gift a time. Not that Solstice was actually an event we waited for in excitement for a wonderful lusternian christmas. Getting these gifts now is like a kid being given a pack of batteries. Yay, it's free!....im happy?
    I know right? The chance for free stuff is pretty crappy. What a terrible game we play where we get the chance of free artifacts and credits and dingbats. I mean just earlier Kaiel was saying that he got a Circlet for FREE after only 3 presents. This free stuff is crap, we should just do away with it altogether.

Well Kaiel lucked out. He has to suffer with his circlet while I enjoy my vial of poison, magical salt and few gold.
    He opened an ultimate present. He could had gotten a circlet or a marauder mask out of that, too... but hey, Circlet is fine too. That said, it takes a fair bit of presents before you can get to the ultimate presents being a reasonable chance to open too. For instance, my counter is at 35 and I have a 7% chance to get an exceptional, ultimate is still at under 1% chance. So yeah.... let's complain about everything. Next time there's a presents promo, buy 600 creds and unwrap and get a free 500-ish cr artifact, then complain about how evil Lusternia is with the presents.

Before speaking when you obviously know nothing of the basis of my complaint, let me point some things out. The issue is not with the free gifts, the issue is the change that happened to them. The current level of gifts is near appalling to what they once were and you can get more from your stocking than from gnomes. The best thing about Lusternia was always Solstice and it was what inspired most to want to be on lusternia during christmas. Were the prizes a bit overtop? Fine, but they should be disgraced to this level? We're getting herbs, vials, gold....we get more from our damn stockings and genies than this.

What's the point of going to search for these 'only christmas' gift givers if the gifts are subpar to something we can gain daily? The current counter is horrible to work with, and I know somehow who has open near 40 presents and the ultimate is barely near 10%. Even looking at what you can get in each present hurts the eyes. A czigany coin, considered one of the 'best' gifts in standards, is at 3%. Most of us can get a coin each day alone....with not much hope their since the wheel was nerfed too, but that's another story.

Wrapping this up, again I will state, it isnt complaints about being given 'free stuff' from 'evil lusternia presents' like some child, the complaint is how our gifts, gifts that made lusternia christmas famous, gifts that made it actually fun to compete in solstice here, gifts that alot of players used to build themselves up, has become the worst avenue of 'free' stuff in lusternia.

If the standards in each gift type were at least adjusted a bit, as well as how fast the buildup to ultimate/superior gifts, then maybe this could work, but currently, it's downright pointless.

Edit: At least adjust it to be a group of the general items you win. Such as 46 magical salt. 3 vials of <poison>.  etc.

• Arcanis said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Arcanis said:
    Synkarin said:
    Arcanis said:
    Synkarin said:
    Yeah, free stuff is the pits
    Yep, because that's the basis of our entire complaints about the gnomes. Not that the gifts were faaaar more satisfying to get before the nerf. Not that one could get more than 1 gift a time. Not that Solstice was actually an event we waited for in excitement for a wonderful lusternian christmas. Getting these gifts now is like a kid being given a pack of batteries. Yay, it's free!....im happy?
    I know right? The chance for free stuff is pretty crappy. What a terrible game we play where we get the chance of free artifacts and credits and dingbats. I mean just earlier Kaiel was saying that he got a Circlet for FREE after only 3 presents. This free stuff is crap, we should just do away with it altogether.

Well Kaiel lucked out. He has to suffer with his circlet while I enjoy my vial of poison, magical salt and few gold.
    He opened an ultimate present. He could had gotten a circlet or a marauder mask out of that, too... but hey, Circlet is fine too. That said, it takes a fair bit of presents before you can get to the ultimate presents being a reasonable chance to open too. For instance, my counter is at 35 and I have a 7% chance to get an exceptional, ultimate is still at under 1% chance. So yeah.... let's complain about everything. Next time there's a presents promo, buy 600 creds and unwrap and get a free 500-ish cr artifact, then complain about how evil Lusternia is with the presents.

Before speaking when you obviously know nothing of the basis of my complaint, let me point some things out. The issue is not with the free gifts, the issue is the change that happened to them. The current level of gifts is near appalling to what they once were and you can get more from your stocking than from gnomes. The best thing about Lusternia was always Solstice and it was what inspired most to want to be on lusternia during christmas. Were the prizes a bit overtop? Fine, but they should be disgraced to this level? We're getting herbs, vials, gold....we get more from our damn stockings and genies than this.

What's the point of going to search for these 'only christmas' gift givers if the gifts are subpar to something we can gain daily? The current counter is horrible to work with, and I know somehow who has open near 40 presents and the ultimate is barely near 10%. Even looking at what you can get in each present hurts the eyes. A czigany coin, considered one of the 'best' gifts in standards, is at 3%. Most of us can get a coin each day alone....with not much hope their since the wheel was nerfed too, but that's another story.

Wrapping this up, again I will state, it isnt complaints about being given 'free stuff' from 'evil lusternia presents' like some child, the complaint is how our gifts, gifts that made lusternia christmas famous, gifts that made it actually fun to compete in solstice here, gifts that alot of players used to build themselves up, has become the worst avenue of 'free' stuff in lusternia.

If the standards in each gift type were at least adjusted a bit, as well as how fast the buildup to ultimate/superior gifts, then maybe this could work, but currently, it's downright pointless.

Edit: At least adjust it to be a group of the general items you win. Such as 46 magical salt. 3 vials of <poison>.  etc.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I just shrugged five mental affs in a row during skill testing. Whhhhhy does this never happen in actual combat? Boo.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I think the issue is that people don't want to have to grind for presents.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Saesh said:
    The circlet guy probably doesn't think it's pointless. As far as I know, genies and stockings don't give those out! I hope he is enjoying it, that's an exciting gift to get!

From what I've been told, there is a very low low low low low chance that a genie bottle will give you a coin or a present.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited December 2014

Shaddus said:
    I think the issue is that people don't want to have to grind for presents.
    Don't see anyone holding guns to people's heads to grind gnomes. Heck, if anything, I've gone and gotten all of one gnome. If presents had the chance to be ultimate from the get-go (They technically do, it's a pretty low chance though, not sure how high a chance it was before), I'm sure everyone would be much happier. (Not really, people would still complain about 'that one lucky bastard' that pulled the torus while all they got was this lousy T-Shirt) Go figure.

EDIT: Was going to add that I'd be fine with boosting these specific presents for this promotion... if they were limited to one gnome/weave. Otherwise people would just farm... and in the end, it'll be a case of the 'big guys' getting even better shinies while everyone else is just sitting there, breathing their dust.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Selenity said:
    Saesh said:
    The circlet guy probably doesn't think it's pointless. As far as I know, genies and stockings don't give those out! I hope he is enjoying it, that's an exciting gift to get!

From what I've been told, there is a very low low low low low chance that a genie bottle will give you a coin or a present.

Poteen pots can give you coins. I get one every 2 days or so. Genies imo give coins and other gifts more often, but this could simply be in relation to people having collected sets. Stockings can also give presents as well as kissable golden lips from time to time.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited December 2014
    Apparently they give @Arcanis sand in the vagina too

Yeah, it's lame that you can get better stuff from genies -in addition- to free presents w/ a chance for ULTIMATE present. If you don't like the presents, feel free to not participate, more presents for the rest of us. You are obviously a vocal one of a small minority. Let the vocal majority of us enjoy the presents without your constant bitching. Things change, get over it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • If there's anything that seems remotely unfair, Arcanis will complain about it. Unless it benefits him. Ignore him and move on.

Never mind that we actually do not know how presents worked before the counter was visible. For all we know, the situation was much the same, except you couldn't keep track of it. (Or check what you could get from each tier of present)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Unrelated, I get the feeling I should learn to code MUSH...
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I wish ironbeard would visit those that can't be around so much to chase gnomes. /sniffle

Lavinya said:
    I wish ironbeard would visit those that can't be around so much to chase gnomes. /sniffle
    Awww... someone needs an intervention....

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Selenity said:
    Coding in MUSH was very easy and logical. I can't code a thing in Mudlet.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I think the gnomes are scared of me :<
    I clearly need to wear more seasonal attire and dress up like a fink.
    Everiine said:
    Selenity said:
    Coding in MUSH was very easy and logical. I can't code a thing in Mudlet.
    Really? Mudlet has been suuuuper easy to me. Maybe I'll DL MUSH and play around with it on a random no-guild no-city character to ultimately suicide so I can learn to make code for it...
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Maybe it's because I first learned some coding in MUSH. I'm not a coder either way. But I try to do simple things in Mudlet, and find that it takes a bunch of extra characters that I don't understand. Even setting up an alias to swing at a target, or highlight a word, I found more complicated in Mudlet than MUSH.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Everiine said:
    Maybe it's because I first learned some coding in MUSH. I'm not a coder either way. But I try to do simple things in Mudlet, and find that it takes a bunch of extra characters that I don't understand. Even setting up an alias to swing at a target, or highlight a word, I found more complicated in Mudlet than MUSH.
    MUSH is very anti-coder... it was more user-friendly oriented with the whole "expand variables" thing... I personally hated that they decided to rename functions like send, capitalizing the function names for LUA, which is well... wrong.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited December 2014
    Mushclient handles lua far more naturally than mudlet does. I personally do everything externally through .xml and .lua files. Also, they didn't rename anything. 'Send' is not a built in lua function...it's client specific. Also, he likely capitalised mush functions for precisely that purpose - separating custom functions and built-in lua ones. Furthermore, as a coder, I couldn't ask for more freedom than what mush has afforded me. Very much NOT anti-coder...
    Rivius said:
    Mushclient handles lua far more naturally than mudlet does. I personally do everything externally through .xml and .lua files. Also, they didn't rename anything. 'Send' is not a built in lua function...it's client specific. Also, he likely capitalised mush functions for precisely that purpose - separating custom functions and built-in lua ones. Furthermore, as a coder, I couldn't ask for more freedom than what mush has afforded me. Very much NOT anti-coder...
    To each their own. I hated the whole expand variables internal crap MUSH had. Never mind the whole external script thing, and god forbid organizing it.

There's really nothing you can do in Mush that you can't do in Mudlet

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Synkarin said:
    While I far prefer Mudlet to Mush, I will disagree with this, though fully admit specific examples aren't coming to me at this time, but I do know there are certain things that Mush does that I wish Mudlet did.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Only thing I can think of is being able to click and drag to resize miniwindows.  At least, I haven't seen anyone demo that for mudlet yet.
  • edited December 2014
    Synkarin said:
    Logical, easily visible sequencing of triggers
    Full control of trigger execution (defaulting in the negative)
    Control over saving and file system (rather than shoving everything where Mudlet wants it, which is not exactly USB drive friendly)
    Ability to defer all trigger and alias data to script functions (including styles)
    Logical control over script load order (via Lua require)
    Built in persistent variables
    Ability to reset the Lua state without restarting the entire bloody client
    The ability to copy from the buffer without crashing 1 in 10 times
    To my knowledge, the ability to handle click-dragging (which allows for movable and resizable miniwindows)
    Separated Lua state for plugins (akin to packages), allowing you to not have to worry about namespace pollution.
    Ability to display errors in the main buffer instead of hidden away.
    Control over GMCP (and other protocols) by the coder rather than by the client (which in Mudlet's case, shoves it into a table)
    EDIT 2, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: More stuff...
    Actual usable documentation
    The ability to create rotating 3d objects, mazes, and working tetris implementations in miniwindows (not actually useful, but not many people know about those PoCs)
    Complete telnet support
    EDIT THE THIRD: More stuff!
    Ability to connect through a SOCKS4/5 proxy
    Full MXP support (by the specification)
    Better screen reader support and the ability to change ANSI colours (for blind people and colourblind people respectively)

There's a lot of stuff MUSHclient does that Mudlet doesn't. There's very few things that can't be done in MUSHclient that can be done in Mudlet. But Mudlet is new for the most part, and is a step in the right direction. If it were a bit more stable, offered a bit more control to the user, and was a tad more feature-rich, it would probably be preferable, yeah.

Elanorwen said:
    To each their own. I hated the whole expand variables internal crap MUSH had. Never mind the whole external script thing, and god forbid organizing it.
    Expand variables is dumb. Luckily, there's a huge amount of ways to avoid using it. The client/persistent variable system was used (and abused) by a lot of people in ways it really shouldn't have been. That's the fault of the people coding for it, not the fault of the client itself. EDIT: And those actually used to writing code outside of a client will prefer the external script thing. The biggest issue I have with Mudlet most of the time is its built in editor, which is... I'm generally a VIm and ST2 user, so Mudlet's editor feels like going a decade or two in the wrong direction.
    Altrea said:
    Synkarin said:
    Logical, easily visible sequencing of triggers 
    Full control of trigger execution (defaulting in the negative)
    Control over saving and file system (rather than shoving everything where Mudlet wants it, which is not exactly USB drive friendly)
    Ability to defer all trigger and alias data to script functions (including styles)
    Logical control over script load order (via Lua require)
    Built in persistent variables
    Ability to reset the Lua state without restarting the entire bloody client
    The ability to copy from the buffer without crashing 1 in 10 times
    To my knowledge, the ability to handle click-dragging (which allows for movable and resizable miniwindows)
    Separated Lua state for plugins (akin to packages), allowing you to not have to worry about namespace pollution.
    Ability to display errors in the main buffer instead of hidden away.
    Control over GMCP (and other protocols) by the coder rather than by the client (which in Mudlet's case, shoves it into a table)
    EDIT 2, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: More stuff...
    Actual usable documentation
    The ability to create rotating 3d objects, mazes, and working tetris implementations in miniwindows (not actually useful, but not many people know about those PoCs)
    Complete telnet support
    EDIT THE THIRD: More stuff!
    Ability to connect through a SOCKS4/5 proxy
    Full MXP support (by the specification)
    Better screen reader support and the ability to change ANSI colours (for blind people and colourblind people respectively)

There's a lot of stuff MUSHclient does that Mudlet doesn't. There's very few things that can't be done in MUSHclient that can be done in Mudlet. But Mudlet is new for the most part, and is a step in the right direction. If it were a bit more stable, offered a bit more control to the user, and was a tad more feature-rich, it would probably be preferable, yeah.

Elanorwen said:
    Expand variables is dumb. Luckily, there's a huge amount of ways to avoid using it. The client/persistent variable system was used (and abused) by a lot of people in ways it really shouldn't have been. That's the fault of the people coding for it, not the fault of the client itself. EDIT: And those actually used to writing code outside of a client will prefer the external script thing. The biggest issue I have with Mudlet most of the time is its built in editor, which is... I'm generally a VIm and ST2 user, so Mudlet's editor feels like going a decade or two in the wrong direction.
    The bolded is all possible, some of the other stuff, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it's probably doable. 

It is a work in progress and feature requests are always open (which is the same with Mush)

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Vivet said:
    Ya'll are making me feel dumb with your fancy shmancy code talk.

Subject change:

Once again - please, please remove racetrack tickets from the options for an ultimate present.

Just go bet them all on the long shot and hope you win 60k credits.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Shaddus said:
    Vivet said:
    Ya'll are making me feel dumb with your fancy shmancy code talk.

Subject change:

Once again - please, please remove racetrack tickets from the options for an ultimate present.

Just go bet them all on the long shot and hope you win 60k credits.
    If that fails, an enemy to one or more of your loyal orgs might appear and you can totally shoot the breeze and RP with them.
This discussion has been closed.