Simple Ideas

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Daganev said:
    Has putting quotes around a word to indicate that that word is not to be taken literally, go out of fashion while I was gone?  This is twice somebody has responded to my word in quotes as if I meant it literally.

Many years ago, I was forcefully burned out by someone, I'm asking if that is still possible or not.
    It hasn't been possible. The only way you can be forcibly burned out is if they drop you to 0 ego and then you do something that uses ego, thus burning yourself out. There is no way where a drain will force you into burn out. The only exception to the rule is TK Force Field where damage is absorbed by ego instead of health, and when you run out of ego to absorb damage, you end up in burnout because it is a skill that you are using but if you do not drop the skill, other people will be able to burn you out.

As to psionics draining ego... well sure, I guess someone could try and drain your ego with egowhip... it'll take a few hours if you're sipping, but it's feasible. The only spec that drains ego is telepathy and there is practically no point to them draining you much further beyond 50% because that is their kill threshold. And even if they drained you to 0, it will not in itself cause burnout.

I guess someone could debate you to 0 ego, but that would not cause burn out, just shattered ego where you won't be able to influence for the next 15 minutes. Of course, if you are running some passive ego drains off your skill like say healing auras... you might end up burning yourself out when you hit 0.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited December 2014
    Arcanis said:

Saesh said:
    Re attrition: I believe the general consensus is that these are unpopular mechanics. Whether we can use that to change the mechanics is the current discussion. Unpopular doesn't always equate to unnecessary. I have my personal opinions regarding this mechanics, but a dozen other (more important) things that I am using my limited time to work through. So I'm on board with you on these in general, but it's a long term goal. 

Re logging off timers: Um no.

Re burnout: It's fairly easy to avoid in most cases (just stop using psionics/healing when you hit a certain threshold of ego. You can even code for this.) and is the accompanying risk for using extraordinarily powerful skills like healing and forcefield. Features like these are designed as balancing factors, and don't really count as such if you can just log out and go to work and come back as if nothing ever happened. Things like burnout reduce your effectiveness in PK for relatively short period of time because of a choice you made, and is intended to punish you (for lack of a better word) for making that choice. Logging out to make a sandwich is not much of a punishment. 

Re astral insanity: This is a choice you make to benefit from higher than average exp gain that literally comes to you. You don't even have to move! So...probably not going to happen either. 
    @Saesh

But isnt the very basis of these mechanics that someone is out of commission for a time, rather than punished to sit in a corner? Mechanics like this, in which do -not- tick away when logged out, are what encourage if not endorse AFKing. In truth, I rather prefer not to afk, but if I am guaranteed that my character -has- to remain signed in for 30 or so minutes as punishment until burnout fades...then I may as well play along and leave him afk in a manse while I go to class...which is a concept I thought the admin were attempting to make players cut back on (afk in general).
    Sitting in a manse AFK while you wait out burnout is your choice. You are fully capable of doing a myriad of things while, including continuing to PK albeit in a diminished capacity, with burnout. You are, under no definition of the phrase, being forced to "sit in a corner" and mechanics shouldn't to be adjusted because someone decides to do so. 

You are playing in a dynamic environment where actions have consequences, usually very mild ones. I, personally, have never understood the negativity towards imposed consequences regarding choices so long as they are not unfairly burdensome. Part of what makes this environment so dynamic is that you can't simply do as you wish and expect no backlash. 

edit: And yes, the rules were changed. You are allowed to AFK in your manse if you wish. 
    Saesh said:
    Sitting in a manse AFK while you wait out burnout is your choice. You are fully capable of doing a myriad of things while, including continuing to PK albeit in a diminished capacity, with burnout. You are, under no definition of the phrase, being forced to "sit in a corner" and mechanics shouldn't to be adjusted because someone decides to do so. 

You are playing in a dynamic environment where actions have consequences, usually very mild ones. I, personally, have never understood the negativity towards imposed consequences regarding choices so long as they are not unfairly burdensome. Part of what makes this environment so dynamic is that you can't simply do as you wish and expect no backlash. 

edit: And yes, the rules were changed. You are allowed to AFK in your manse if you wish. 
    I was a bit frustrated the first time I burned out my psionics... but really, if I hadn't tried to bite off more than I could chew in the process of playing around with forcefield, there wouldn't have been a problem. That said, it saved me from dying too, so hey... better sit around for an hour and RP than lose a nice chunk of xp.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Probably my biggest complaint is that you lose your skills for a while and lose 50k essence (a vitae death). 
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    -- The Aetolian News -------------------------------------

OOC
           Announce  2350 articles.   2350 read.
              Meets   827 articles.    827 read.

GENERAL
             Public  5798 articles.   5798 read.
           Announce  2350 articles.   2350 read.
              Meets   827 articles.    827 read.
             Poetry  1770 articles.   1770 read.
             Events   179 articles.    179 read.
           Politics   878 articles.    878 read.

ORGANIZATIONS
             Guild  1251 articles.   1251 read.
        City  2592 articles.   2592 read.

CLANS
              Clan1   121 articles.    121 read.
              Clan2     0 articles.      0 read.
            Clan3   129 articles.    129 read.
                Clan4     6 articles.      6 read.
                Clan5     8 articles.      8 read.
                Clan6     0 articles.      0 read.

^want this
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • edited December 2014
    Hmm. That doesn't take all that long to code.
    [spoiler]
    -- The Lusternian News------------------------------

-OOC-
      Overhaul            -  24/24 articles read.
      Announce            -  2403/2403 articles read.

-PUBLIC-
      Politics            -  4739/4739 articles read.
      Events              -  314/314 articles read.
      Public              -  1666/1666 articles read.

-ORGANISATIONS-
      Glomdoring          -  2283/2283 articles read.
      Nocht               -  99/99 articles read.
      De'Unnero           -  9/9 articles read.
      Blacktalon          -  679/679 articles read.

-CLANS-
      Ishab               -  0/0 articles read.
      Cott                -  16/16 articles read.
      Wyrd                -  87/87 articles read.
      Crux                -  3/3 articles read.
      Jrb                 -  18/18 articles read.

3864h, 4482m, 3990e, 100%w, 10p, 49.73%, (k ex)
    [/spoiler]

edit: Except it's actually properly aligned in my display. Stupid forum formatting.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    .Can we make prepending work with BACKSTAGE EMOTE and BACKSTAGE ENTER/EXIT pretty please?!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    When we activate a shrine power with karma, can we have that shown in the log that we used karma as opposed to using essence like normal?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    When we activate a shrine power with karma, can we have that shown in the log that we used karma as opposed to using essence like normal?
    Doesn't that show up in the offerings summary?
  • When bugs are altered, please send us a message when we're off-line with the number of the bug, just like we get a notice with the number if we're online.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    And can the 'one of your bugs has been updated' line be more helpful?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Daganev said:
    Shaddus said:
    Doesn't that show up in the offerings summary?
    Never mind, I didn't notice that it does already say karmic.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited December 2014
    I would like to be able to permanently transfer artifacts to another character registered to the same email for a small fee, like 10-15% of the artifact's price.
  • Can we have Typecast working? It's a shame to spend essence and not have it work, and maybe add some different ones for Orders? I want to wear my Silver Witch bling.
    [spoiler]
    [/spoiler]
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
    edited December 2014
    Arien said:
    Can we have Typecast working? It's a shame to spend essence and not have it work, and maybe add some different ones for Orders? I want to wear my Silver Witch bling.
    If something is not working, I'd definitely recommend reporting it as a bug with the appropriate in-game command.

That said, how is it not working? There's numerous people that it seems to work for.

EDIT: Regarding order-based typecasts, you'll want to speak with your Divine although I am not aware of any order that has org-specific typecasts.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    2014/12/20 02:15:23 - The House's eyes are raised as its honour improves: Xaldrin's ruthless hunting is well known throughout the lands.
    2014/12/20 14:55:51 - The House's eyes are raised as its honour improves: Our family is known for their good breeding.
    2014/12/20 14:55:52 - The House's eyes are raised as its honour improves: Due to the nature of our liege, the Blood House of D'Cente.
    2014/12/20 14:55:52 - Shame lowers the eyes of the House: Our family's reputation descends towards obscurity.

Would it be possible for passive honor losses to process -before- the passive honor gains? It's just a minor annoyance when you're sitting at the cap, and everything preceding is wasted.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Or remove the cap and let the lesser houses play with the big boys?  ;;)
    I used to make cakes.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Daraius said:
    Or remove the cap and let the lesser houses play with the big boys?  ;;)
    pls
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Elanorwen said:
    Arien said:
    Can we have Typecast working? It's a shame to spend essence and not have it work, and maybe add some different ones for Orders? I want to wear my Silver Witch bling.
    If something is not working, I'd definitely recommend reporting it as a bug with the appropriate in-game command.

That said, how is it not working? There's numerous people that it seems to work for.

EDIT: Regarding order-based typecasts, you'll want to speak with your Divine although I am not aware of any order that has org-specific typecasts.
    I have issued myself in the past, but I suppose I'll try bugging. From what I know order's don't have any org-specific. But it may be nice to make some kind of 'Custom Typecast' for the super customized people.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • edited December 2014
    I've no idea how it works for the other cities/communes, but a line in in Drachou's description when you probe him letting the viewer know whether he needs incense or not would be really handy. Sure, everyone in the city can see when he gets high, but after a while it becomes harder to tell whether he's still taking threads, or he's just going to munch them down.

EDIT- Just something nice and simple, like "A crackling aura of prismatic energy surrounds him." Or even just, "He's really high at the moment."
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • Yeah could we make it that if someone is attacking something loyal to the area (But not yet an enemy), then becomes open pk and any can attack them, as if they were an enemy?

It's kind of stupid having to stand there watching them attack it unable to defend until they do kill it and become an enemy....
  • I'd like it if librarians and possibly aides could see how often a book has been checked out, over time and in the last year or so. This would help with gauging if works are getting enough exposure or if efforts to up that exposure are having any effect.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    edited December 2014
    Along those lines:

LIBRARYLOG

Accessible from the library. Shows librarians and aides when books are archived, published, complete review, are nominated for prestige, win prestige, are checked out (and who checks them out), and [other stuff that librarians might like to see]

STAGELOG

Accessible from the stage or backstage area. Shows Ministers of Culture and aides when (and by whom) productions are created, selected for editing, deleted, and viewed, submitted for prestige, win prestige, and [other stuff that MoC's might like to see]
    I used to make cakes.

• edited December 2014
    So, uh, is there any way we could get this condensed to maybe two or three lines? (Power being added to the nexus)

Cheerful, multicoloured flames burst into life before blazing a brilliant white, joining the towering inferno.
    Cheerful, multicoloured flames burst into life before blazing a brilliant white, joining the towering inferno.

EDIT: I can't seem to wrap that in code or quote tags and the buttons refuse to work in Firefox, so... meh
    Altrea said:
    So, uh, is there any way we could get this condensed to maybe two or three lines? (Power being added to the nexus)

-snip-

EDIT: I can't seem to wrap that in code or quote tags and the buttons refuse to work in Firefox, so... meh
    Having a copy of the powerlog that caused it would likely help with finding out what to condense.

• Arcanis said:
    Could we make it if you have already received a gift from a gnome and attempt to beg another one, rather than disappearing and giving you coal (?), he just outright refuses you from the start, thus leaving him opened for others?
    Not sure if this has been changed since I was unable to log on for a few months, but they -used- to disappear for about 10 minutes after giving coal, then repop in the same area they were initially found in.