Dirty player secrets

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Aerotan said:

Not sure Seren-Gaudi is ever on the table. Halli-Gaudi would happen first, I think, just due to all the recent clear-cutting/slash-and-burn Gaudi seems to be supporting lately. (and by 'lately', I mean since they came back ._.)

You mean that one raid where Malarious cut down elders? You act like it's been a prolonged thing.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Erm, Glom never allied with Mag because of RP reasons. I thought we went through this and the Maeve brand thing before, and how it has consistently been a part of Glom's diplomacy. Is it unfortunate? Yes, I don't make a secret of Lerad's preference for friendly relationships with Mag, but if you asked him to vote on giving up about the brand, he'll say no ten times out of ten. Furthermore, I don't think Svorai or Tacita before her ever tried to make Mag a vassal, literally or figuratively. I say "I don't think" to be polite - I actually mean "hell no, they didn't." I'm also pretty sure Arcanis didn't either.

The shift-in-alliance decisions in Glom were partly due to a couple of big combatants going inactive (no more antagonists from the POV of other orgs) and a few other active RP people also going off (I miss Svo and Taci) but mostly due to the eaf. Obviously, enemying Gaudiguchians and Mags who want to kill fae to get at the new event is going to have consequences diplomatically, but Glom wasn't going to just let that pass. I'm surprised people are saying its a diplomatically bad move... when it would look pretty much ludicrous for Glom to say "Oh yeah, go ahead and slaughter them fae" in order to keep an alliance going. If anything, the fact that Glom didn't outright declare war at the first fae death was bordering on being unreasonably out-of-character for the org. The fact that "cooperative" relations lasted as long as they did in that period and that Glom is still on speaking terms with Gaudi/Mag is a testament to how much Glom stretched their RP in order to maintain advantageous relations. If Glom had swallowed any more of their pride, it would have been pretty much fully OOC at that point, and a lot of Glommers would have been very very disgusted, myself included. The eaf incident was a very big deal.

NAP with Seren was also mostly due to that. Neither Seren nor Glom want to ally with each other, but where threats to the fae are concerned, they've always been reluctantly in agreement. From the game's very conception till now, or at least, from when I was playing till now. I doubt anyone in Seren wants to move toward a formal alliance, NAP or not. That would be pretty out-of-character for both orgs as well. Unless something drastic like Xion came up again, it would probably take a very big amount of dragging with iron chains to get both sides to agree to a formal alliance (if you can call that an alliance).

Whether Glom has NAPs right now actually doesn't matter. There's not enough combatants in Glom to raid anyone, and not enough combatants in Glom to defend from any raids - nine times out of ten there won't be defenders because they simply won't be online. Glom can go to war with the whole basin right now... and nothing will change in terms of everyone's gameplay. Which makes the NAPs and friendly relations pretty much a stroke of genius. The little newbies in Glom can grow up and learn without getting harassed, everyone else gets as much interaction out of Glom as they would have anyway... win-win. 

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Seren-Gaudi is probably less on the table because of the way the previous treaty died, more than anything else. After enough leadership turnover, that might change, though.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Can we go to war after ascension though. Got people to crush.
  • Can we move non-dirty-secrets to their own thread? This politics is bogging down my sweet, juicy gossip.
  • edited February 2015
    I already wrote out a declaration of war. Marcella has never given a single fuck about Glomdoring because she remembers the days when Glomdoring bitchslapped Magnagora into the ground and that was during her formative years as a novice.
  • edited February 2015
    Lavinya said:

Lerad said:

Erm, Glom never allied with Mag because of RP reasons. I thought we went through this and the Maeve brand thing before, and how it has consistently been a part of Glom's diplomacy. Is it unfortunate? Yes, I don't make a secret of Lerad's preference for friendly relationships with Mag, but if you asked him to vote on giving up about the brand, he'll say no ten times out of ten. Furthermore, I don't think Svorai or Tacita before her ever tried to make Mag a vassal, literally or figuratively. I say "I don't think" to be polite - I actually mean "hell no, they didn't." I'm also pretty sure Arcanis didn't either.

The shift-in-alliance decisions in Glom were partly due to a couple of big combatants going inactive (no more antagonists from the POV of other orgs) and a few other active RP people also going off (I miss Svo and Taci) but mostly due to the eaf. Obviously, enemying Gaudiguchians and Mags who want to kill fae to get at the new event is going to have consequences diplomatically, but Glom wasn't going to just let that pass. I'm surprised people are saying its a diplomatically bad move... when it would look pretty much ludicrous for Glom to say "Oh yeah, go ahead and slaughter them fae" in order to keep an alliance going. If anything, the fact that Glom didn't outright declare war at the first fae death was bordering on being unreasonably out-of-character for the org. The fact that "cooperative" relations lasted as long as they did in that period and that Glom is still on speaking terms with Gaudi/Mag is a testament to how much Glom stretched their RP in order to maintain advantageous relations. If Glom had swallowed any more of their pride, it would have been pretty much fully OOC at that point, and a lot of Glommers would have been very very disgusted, myself included. The eaf incident was a very big deal.

NAP with Seren was also mostly due to that. Neither Seren nor Glom want to ally with each other, but where threats to the fae are concerned, they've always been reluctantly in agreement. From the game's very conception till now, or at least, from when I was playing till now. I doubt anyone in Seren wants to move toward a formal alliance, NAP or not. That would be pretty out-of-character for both orgs as well. Unless something drastic like Xion came up again, it would probably take a very big amount of dragging with iron chains to get both sides to agree to a formal alliance (if you can call that an alliance).

Whether Glom has NAPs right now actually doesn't matter. There's not enough combatants in Glom to raid anyone, and not enough combatants in Glom to defend from any raids - nine times out of ten there won't be defenders because they simply won't be online. Glom can go to war with the whole basin right now... and nothing will change in terms of everyone's gameplay. Which makes the NAPs and friendly relations pretty much a stroke of genius. The little newbies in Glom can grow up and learn without getting harassed, everyone else gets as much interaction out of Glom as they would have anyway... win-win. 
    I take it you weren't privvy to some of the early letters sent to the Iron council before we actually made our non-official peace, or the conversations Svorai held with myself and Silvanus, if not others. It wasn't even a matter of 'remove the brand and we'll work out an alliance', it was 'remove the brand and then maybe we will talk. Maybe.' And given mechanically, oocly, we were told by admin it was completely impossible...well. There was very much a sneering down the nose at Magnagora and Glom not needing us and giving the impression that they would only accept terms that put the already down and out Magnagora on even lower standing and gave Glomdoring support, and even that was only going to be a maybe if we did this huge (impossible) thing for Glomdoring as a sign of good faith. A sign of good faith that we were serious about an alliance. Yeah, no matter how you look at it, Glom was giving Mag the middle finger.

Of course there were RP reasons for not allying. And from Glom's perspective, maybe you weren't trying to make us a vassal (I didn't say you were literally), but to Magnagora that was essentially the impression given. 'You can't give us anything of worth. Give us what little you have, and that thing that is absolutely impossible, and we'll think about maybe possibly not raiding you, because you're not really worth the trouble anyway right now.' In the end we found neutral ground and just didn't annoy each other (mostly). Glom didn't, at any point, swallow their pride except to not go out of their way to attack Magnagora. Except when we competed in villages. Or when they killed Mags who didn't leave the forest immediately. Sure, all perfectly valid and makes sense for your rp, not disputing that, but you can't really expect any of us to believe this was Glom swallowing their pride?

By the time the eafs happened, it was already known Glom wanted nothing to do with having friendship or a treaty, so why the hell should we bother trying to pander to them anymore? Fae mean nothing to us, we meant nothing to Glom, it was only a matter of time before one side or the other got tired and did something negative.
    Swallowing pride was not in reference to Mag/glom relationships, by the
    way, that was in reference to the eaf/gaudi talks. I think I phrased my
    paragraphs properly, but if I wrote in such a way as to imply that Glom
    was trying to lay down the red carpet for Mag in their talks back then, I
    apologize, because that's not what I meant.

That aside, am I reading this correctly? You're objecting to in-game snobbery? In a game where literally every org (except maybe gaudiguch) is an elitist snob? Like, doesn't Magnagora have even more snobbery RP than 'seclutionist serenwilde'? Between the way Mag used to treat their CR1s (like servants) and demanded obedience, and the rivalries between the Mag houses (more than even the Nightshade/Stormcrow rivalry) they certainly are more snobby than Glom, at least. Only the Shee-slaugh can give them a run for their money, thanks to good ole Eliron and Lhiannan. I thought you, of all people, would have welcomed that kind of RP, or if not, at least understood where that was coming from. Whether Svorai genuinely wanted an alliance is something I can't say - that's her as a player, and I'm not an Illithoid mind reader in real life. But don't you think it's a little weird to conflate the way she RP'd that with "bad diplomacy"? If anything, being that true to the RP is something I admire - I for one won't bother with the hassle if I were in that position.

Snobbery aside, Mag/glom diplomacy has always been centered around the Maeve brand, and in that regard, Glom has never taken on a reconciliatory position about it - you're definitely right about that. From Glom's point of view, it has always been a victim as far as the Maeve brand was concerned, and if it has to be resolved, Glom's not going to be begging for it to be removed - it's going to be demanded. Is it conducive to actually making a proper alliance? No, it is not. Note my comment about it being "unfortunate" back in the previous post. And everyone involved knows this. We are all aware that the admin don't want to remove the brand. However, that doesn't mean we should just set it aside, does it? If anything, being persistent about it keeps the possibility of it being resolved in the future open. And if it ever does, even if it is not due to the RP, at least Glom is in the position to capitalize on it, and adopt that into their RP without breaking stride - just as they haven't broken stride all these while.

Perhaps it is irresponsible of me as a player who has never been a CL to say this, but isn't making alliances work even despite such storyline obstacles the job (and part of the fun) of the CL?

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Uhh...I never said Glom was bad at diplomacy, though I suppose I can agree with the statement, in that to be diplomatic you tend to have to find middle ground, involving some compromise on both sides. Glom doesn't tend to compromise, from my observations, which is generally equated to bad diplomacy.

I'm not objecting to it the in game snobbery at all, though you clearly haven't had much to do with the inner workings of Magnagora for a long time, because (disappointingly) a lot of our snobbery has gone the way of the dodo. The families don't fight (except for Marcella's contesting campaign being based on completely false accusations of d'Murani corruption), higher ranks tend to get frowned at for correcting uppity serfs or demanding anything of them. It's rare someone isn't able to join Magnagora, like exceedingly rare, and even then only if there are a number of people expressing serious concerns over that person. None of this jumping through a million hoops, getting sponsors, referendums, RL week long waits, yadda yadda. Anyway, I digress - I wish we had more of our old elitist rp, but things change, and it seems the way most people in Mag prefer it (sadly :( ).

I'm not even shaking my fist and whining because Glom refused us an alliance, though from an ooc standpoint, the methods sucked, because again, nothing can be done about the branding. Which, I might add, happened a long time before I even started playing, and I've played for 5 years now. When it was first brought up, a bunch of us didn't even know what it was. So it seems we were being blocked for rp reasons, AND ooc ones, since everyone knew the impossible was being asked for. It was a tough situation, and Glom chose to not bend on their wants, well and good. Clearly this was great RP on Gloms part for sticking to their ideals. But that doesn't have to equate to good diplomacy! Maybe it's Glom's nature to be bad at diplomacy, heh. It's not a criticism of the players, by any means.

If anything, I critisize Seren for being more snuggle forest and less hard, unyielding forest, for not taking the opportunity to level Glom when it had the chance!

(Some of the above statements have been said with tongue firmly in cheek. Glom was in a firm position of power when we looked for an alliance, they sure didn't owe us anything, and it wasn't surprising that they issued demands before considering our application. But when our star began to rise again, it likely would have been wiser of them to get something signed and agreed when we returned to negotiations...but then many people just disappeared. Bring on the end of Ascension, I look forward to seeing is Serenwilde will come defend the wyrd...teeheehee)

• Ah, good. For a second I was confused at why you were complaining about Glom's actions as if they were unreasonable and specifically out to screw with Mag with your original post, when it clearly wasn't the case.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Well when you know oocly that the IC demand is absolutely impossible, it does seem like it's little more than screwing with Mag, but I -do- get and respect the RP. Obviously the admin need to make it possible for Mag to remove the brand, so we can say a big fat no eff you to Glom. :)

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Please, never Celest-Glom again. Never ever again. *collapses in agony*

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited February 2015
    Gah, stupid thing won't lemme delete post I didn't want to put in.  Hates you forums.

A secret...umm...when I'm engaging in things I want to win, I have a lucky hat from Disneyland that I throw on.  It got me The Sword of a Thousand Truths in WoW, as well as upgrades in general whenever I'd go raiding.  So...yes.  Lucky hat.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited February 2015
    Okay, so to try and be on topic but still talk about Glom,

Maligorn is secretly very pleased that Glomdoring seems to fail at making any sort of compromise, especially about the brand. It'll make assimilating them all the easier!

And frankly, regarding the eaf incident, he would've liked to pursue the experiment and make friendlier ties with Gaudiguch, since both Hallifaxian and Gaudiguchi scientists worked on it. But Serenwilde said no, so it was a shrug situation. Glomdoring, on the other hand, needs to work out its title of "forest of no mercy" or something, because they are hella merciful to the fae. One would think that the almighty wyrd would not wither in spite of these base creatures being turned into even baser creatures. #forumrp #that'showIwould'velookedatit

EDIT: Or are they merciless in their defense of the fae, and thus merciless in their own suffering for something so trite, akin to Crow's aspect of Black Sorrow. Idk.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    If Tremula (while heavily intoxicated) can go around Hallifax unmolested then you can too, @Lavinya! (Also @Daraius is really nice IC, from the little communication I've had with him)
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Lavinya said:

(Some of the above statements have been said with tongue firmly in cheek. Glom was in a firm position of power when we looked for an alliance, they sure didn't owe us anything, and it wasn't surprising that they issued demands before considering our application. But when our star began to rise again, it likely would have been wiser of them to get something signed and agreed when we returned to negotiations...but then many people just disappeared. Bring on the end of Ascension, I look forward to seeing is Serenwilde will come defend the wyrd...teeheehee)

The only way I would defend wyrded peoples would be if fae were being harmed. If it gets any friendlier with Glom I think I might just break the NAP and kill daughters or something. 
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I haven't met anyone in Serenwilde who actually wants this NAP. Everyone's like 'Meh, why are we doing this?' Unless they're all keeping dirty secrets...

• It's the same in Glom, actually.
    The reason is because the leaders of both are doing it for reasons that have been stated, and so no one really likes it, it's just seen as a thing they should do(for now). 

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I love stirring the pot. Sometimes I do it just because.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2015
    I've toyed with the idea of having Daraius remarry and even picked out a few eligible candidates to court if I ever went through with it. Probably not going to happen without a total character reboot though.   :\">
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited February 2015
    Daraius said:

I've toyed with the idea of having Daraius remarry and even picked out a few eligible candidates to court if I ever went through with it. Probably not going to happen without a total character reboot though.   :\">

Do we get to know who the eligible candidates are?

(I'm voting for @Portius if you have married men as candidates)
    Daraius said:

Reboot on over to Gaudiguch. I'll scratch that itch.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Say, can Kephera breed with humans?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

Tylwyth said:

Say, can Kephera breed with humans?

You can, but you have to bite the heads off afterwards.
  • edited February 2015
    EVerything breeds with humans.

I'm sure even illithoid.

It's because humans' virility, like the krokani's eye or the orclach's durability, is excorably powered.

This is related to why I have a human spouse. Too worried about propagation of species, and 'what's a male orclach who isn't my brother' was a thing for a long time.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Marcella said:

EVerything breeds with humans.

I'm sure even illithoid.

It's because humans' virility, like the krokani's eye or the orclach's durability, is excorably powered.
    There's nothing established in lore, but it's been hinted at that human/illithoid is entirely possible. Part of my original character concept was centred around that.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Daraius said:

No, Portius wears stoat and his head looks too much like a raisin. 

Stoats. Plural. He isn't some faeling that can get away with making a whole coat out of one stoat. He needs a bunch of stoats to make his coats.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Here's my 'dirty secret' - every candidate for marriage that I've wanted ends up getting married to someone else.

Lillie isn't around very often at all because of the college. I feel awful for considering divorce, but.
  • Can you consider Syridean? I need to get him hitched to someone else. =D