Real World Raves

Comments

• I was in a slightly similar position today: turned out that my professor wanted the tree structure of a file saved into a text file. Since you could extract the XML, I volunteered to do it with Python and BeautifulSoup. In the end, it turned out that the department's PhD student could do it with only one line of Java code since it's object related while I am still fighting structures (TIL: Soup also takes CSS selectors which is absolutely glorious if you need only the direct children of something). But even though I only managed to do it halfway, they seemed slightly impressed that I wanted to do it all in Python (at least, I hope so).

So raves for learning something new in Python and mild dissatisfaction that I was not able to finish the program yet (I am planning to pursue it in my free-time because it irks me when something is not working).
  • Going on record: Batman v. Superman is the best super hero movie I've ever seen. Y'all should definitely go and see it.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited March 2016
    Havastus said:
    Going on record: Batman v. Superman is the best super hero movie I've ever seen. Y'all should definitely go and see it.

Everything I'm hearing, including from my fanatic partner, says the exact opposite. So does Rotten Tomatoes.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:
    Havastus said:
    Going on record: Batman v. Superman is the best super hero movie I've ever seen. Y'all should definitely go and see it.

Everything I'm hearing, including from my fanatic partner, says the exact opposite. So does Rotten Tomatoes.

Which is why I prefaced by saying it's the best Superhero movie I've ever seen. There are issues with it, sure, but I still thought it was awesome. Hell, it's worth going to see just for the score alone!

edited March 2016
    Havastus said:
    Rancoura said:
    Havastus said:

Which is why I prefaced by saying it's the best Superhero movie I've ever seen. There are issues with it, sure, but I still thought it was awesome. Hell, it's worth going to see just for the score alone!

So you haven't seen many superhero movies? :P

Edit: I'm personally sad about all the guff Zack Snyder is getting. That man does amazing work, but perhaps his style was misplaced in the DC universe. I wish people would realize that it's not -solely- Zack Snyder's fault if the film is getting horrid reception. There are also writers, producers, the higher-up people who saw the finished product and said "Yes, this is good, let's send it to theatres." The low success of a film doesn't rest on one single person.

Before an earthly flight

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I'll for sure see it at my local $2 theatre when it makes the rounds, but I felt pretty let down by Man of Steel so I wasn't eager to jump back into that universe.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Ben Affleck did not suck. I know I hated him at one point, though I think I'm going to just have to let that go.
    Loved Jeremy Irons as Alfred. Way great. Love him doing anything though.
    The visuals were over the top stunning. The score was great.
    Could it have been better? Probably. But it was still damn worth the money I spent. But it was also  way to spend time bonding with my son, so that adds a lot of value. Will probably go try to catch it in 3d with him. And then I know he'll go to see at least once more when it comes to the local $3 theater.
    Honestly, I enjoyed it better than Star Wars 7.
  • I just can't buy into any movie that says Batman would have a cold chance in a hell against Superman. 
  • Must not like the comics then, because Batman usually ends up giving Superman a run for his money.

Batman's sole superpower is, and always has been, Plot Armor. In the "real world", he'd never stand a chance against a Superman-like figure. But that's not why we like the concept of Batman v Superman.

• Batman is the best example of a long-standing successful Mary Sue. Batman's superpower is plot armor, which is hilarious. Now Suicide Squad I'll probably try to go see, but I wish they'd focus on better characters. That being said, superhero movies, Civil War. It's a good time to be a long-standing comic fan, and an excellent time to start getting into comics. Movies like these open up a whole new world, and bring content to new audiences. To me, even if hardcore fans think they're crap, that means a lot. So BvS might suck, it's bringing content to new audiences and there is, and never will be, anything wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with liking the movies. Anywho, tangent.

Rave: It's sort of getting warmer. Rant: It went from 75ish yesterday to like 40ish today. (also I've reached that point where my family has finally just realized they're never going to change me, so it's no use to try, and either they accept what I do, or they complain and I ignore them. And they liked my dyed hair, so I guess I've finally gotten through to them)
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    In a related tangent, does anyone know what happens if you dye blonde hair while it's in a braid? ie: you braid the hair or do corn-rows, then apply a dye, let it set, etc, and then you undo the braids.
    Luce said:
    In a related tangent, does anyone know what happens if you dye blonde hair while it's in a braid? ie: you braid the hair or do corn-rows, then apply a dye, let it set, etc, and then you undo the braids.
    Sounds like it could produce an interesting result. I wouldn't expect a stark difference between the parts you put dye on and the parts you didn't, though, because it's bound to bleed both during the application and the wash-out afterwards. Please post pics if you do this, though, I would like to see what happens!

Before an earthly flight

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    After seeing a few images, I'm actually inclined to agree with Celina, and since A) I'm not using a natural colour, and B) it's the first time I'm dying my hair, I'm just gonna dye it normally and put it into a braid later. This may prompt experimentation later, where I might do a darker green or lighter blue and then braid it and do the aqua later.

Because I like experiments, but not before major social engagements.
    edited March 2016
    While I was also searching, I discovered that Asian men with cornrows can be quite, quite pretty.

Before an earthly flight

• I applied for a new job today. It's not really a step up, career wise, but I'm just getting so tired of my current workplace dumping more and more responsibility on me, and netting nothing for it but praise at doing a good job and 3 years of unfullfilled promises of getting at least promoted to full time.  At this point I'm honestly the department manager in literally every aspect but title and pay-grade.

Okay this got more ranty then I intended but I guess I'm just really tired of them.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I just applied for a new job too, in the psych ward of the local hospital. 
  • I now know where my local Danish pastry place is, and it's the place my family has been going to since it opened over 50 years ago. Yay pastries!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited April 2016
    With all of the different jobs I've worked over the past two years, pretty much every single bit I've worked has been six days a week, ten hours a day. Occasionally, there would be stints of five days a week, ten hours a day, or even seven days a week at ten hours a day.

Currently I'm working four days on ten hours, and two days on eight. These eight hour days feel like a half day, and it is an amazing experience. Totally digging getting home when I'd normally be leaving.
    come2mag
    Sylandra said:
    Maybe I'm being a cocky Mr. McArrogant Pants, but this essay is going so, so well. I would totally give myself an A. It's cool if the professor doesn't, but like deep down inside, I know I would give myself a gold star.  \:D/
    If you're happy with any of the work you do, it's perfect.

Before an earthly flight

• Oh god, oh god, oh god. Everything submitted for college application. Now to wait for the rejection letter. Yep. Gotta wait for it. Gonna get rejected. 
    Also spent like 50$ on a sewing basket that I now /entirely/ regret because it wrecked my entire budget. No haircut for me. I guess I can go another month without one.

Welcome to Nightvale live this thursday, man, this is going to be fun. And we're going pescatarian to see if we like it, goodbye meat, I will remember you fondly. Maybe. Who knows. This looks like a delicious endeavor. 
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Today, I finally moved into my new room. I had some friends helping me which made me really glad. And we even managed to get everything (except the mattress) in one Fiat 500.
  • "Rave" ing this because "General Dissatisfaction" feels too heavy for this particular gem from my day (not to mention I've made several people laugh):

So today I was cleaning out my workbag and found a water bottle with a teeny bit left in it. It was at least two weeks old (I've been on vacation) and I always add caffeinated crystal light, so it was clearly getting funky.

So used to having crystal light in my hands AT ALL TIMES am I that, as I went to throw it away, I automatically uncapped it and took the remaining swig. Words cannot describe the way it tasted, but "month-old fly in boot-brewed pinot grigio" might be close.

Because I was in a room filling up with people for the class I was teaching today, I had to calmly leave the room, go down the hall, and spit it out before furiously wiping my tongue with a tissue. It was terrifying. And disgusting.

• edited April 2016
    I just submitted my paper I've been working on all year. I just need to print and bind a hard copy to hand in tomorrow. I feel really good about it, but I also feel like I might vomit from nerves.

Edit: Also submitted my resume for an internship that I'm really interested in, but would have to pick up and move back up north for. Neerves.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Eldanien said:
    Got my 3 1/2 year old son a remote control BB-8 today.  He's in love.  It's the $80 Hasbro version, not the $150 Sphero one.  It's like... five times larger and moves 1/4 as fast.  But makes more noises.  To him, all robots are 'bobots', and to him, BB-8 is 'bobot 8'.

So cute.
    My 2 year old son calls everything "bobots" too. When he wants to watch Pixars Robots it is "bobot moobie", when he wants to play/watch me play Fallout 4 it is "payin bobots" when he wants to play Minecraft it is "spiders give owie. bushes boom. payin bobots" (he calls the iron golems bobots). He has a world in creative that is just bushes, spiders and "bobots"