Real World Raves

Comments

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Daraius said:
    The new puppy is a really fast learner. It's only been a few weeks and he's got almost all the rules down pat. His only real issue now is that he likes to gnaw on human limbs and his baby teeth are really sharp.
    Yelp high pitched when he bites you. The higher pitched the better. If that doesn't work, bite him back.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    edited May 2014
    Zouviqil said:
    Daraius said:
    The new puppy is a really fast learner. It's only been a few weeks and he's got almost all the rules down pat. His only real issue now is that he likes to gnaw on human limbs and his baby teeth are really sharp.
    Yelp high pitched when he bites you. The higher pitched the better. If that doesn't work, bite him back.
    Yelp AND get up walk away at the same time.

Btw, @Daraius an interesting book I was reading on the plane while traveling you might like is called "The Other End of the Leash" its about how human behavior affects dogs in ways we don't even realize.

Edit: Also just human behavior around dogs in general.

Also, rave for as much fun as I had being home again.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Thanks @Turnus, I'll check it out. That sounds like it'd be right up my alley.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited May 2014
    Stangmar said:
    Portius said:
    I just received actual money for reading poetry that I, personally, translated. Upon calculating the per hour income, including both the time for translating and for the reading itself, I learned that poetry readings inexplicably pay more than lab assistanting. This is surprising to me. I love coffee shops that are willing to pay actual money to make it look like they're full of intellectuals.

So, yeah. The rave is that I can apparently put "poet" on a business card now and not have it be entirely ridiculous, even if it probably isn't a regular job.
    Odd jobs pay the best sometimes.

I once made $300 in a couple hours and all I had to do was drive a Korean lady from Southern Uah to Las Vegas.  
    I can technically say I've taught 9th grade.  I filled in for a teacher one day teaching algebra.

Somewhat unrelated, but also slightly related since it is an "odd job": As much as people seem to hate market research and doing surveys, there ARE credible companies out there that will pay cold hard cash for relatively fun stuff.
    Example: On Monday/Tuesday I will be getting paid $100 to spend 2 hours taste-testing flavoured apple ciders and potato chips.  I'm certainly not about to say no to $50 an hour.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Hassle free train journeys and good food on arrival.

I hate the South but I do enjoy coming to London, things just work here.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Hiss, filthy Northerners invading my space!

(Seriously though when I first moved here from Norfolk I thought I was going to die from the sheer quantity of public transport. I grew up in a village where there was only one bus which went out on a Wednesday afternoon and did not come back.)
  • I am almost in London. Big airports are so exciting. I can see flights going really everywhere. 
    (And I managed not to get lost so far even though there are hundreds of gates)
    edited May 2014
    Aiyana said:
    Since my car finally decided to kick it almost 2 weeks ago, I've started riding my bike to work. While this might seem like it belongs in dissatisfaction, I'm starting to actually feel much healthier and happier! I've managed to turn an hour grueling hike that I dreaded every single day upon said bike to work into a ~25 minute easy and comfortable ride.

... Wonder if I should get a gym membership, if starting small and completely unintentionally makes me feel this good.
    While some may say it is worth considering, why not just simply ride your bike more often, go for leisurely rides and save yourself the money?  Might as well get out and enjoy the scenery rather than just sit in one spot pedaling on a stationary bike (make sure you pace yourself appropriately though and gradually increase the distance you bike, maybe switch routes occasionally and go for something with a slight incline - don't go too steep though or you will do more harm than good)

Also, since it is Mothers Day here in NZ, a great big rave for my mum, who brought me into this world a little under 32 years ago and has always been there when I needed her, even if I did act like a stuck up brat at times when I was younger (I'm on a tight budget due to my studies, so I made her a nice hamper of my bodycare products)

• I, at 23 years of age, am finally going to go to my first concert! I've always, always wanted to go to one but have either not had the money, means or a concert I'd want to go to. Now I do! And while I'm not going with the person I'd like to go with, I've managed to wrangle up some of my old friends from school that I haven't talked to in yeaaaarrrss. It's gonna be sweet! Slayer should be a great first concert, methinks. I am excite.
    edited May 2014
    Assuming nothing goes too dramatically haywire between now and next October (2015), I will likely be moving to the USA somewhere between October and December next year, for a couple of years, possibly longer. ^_^

Currently deciding with my girlfriend where we would be living, but it looks like we would end up somewhere in the area between San Francisco and Sacramento.

In any case, still got a good 18+ months to plan everything out, but it is nice to have things starting to fall into place after all this time.

• Kagato said:
    Aiyana said:
    Since my car finally decided to kick it almost 2 weeks ago, I've started riding my bike to work. While this might seem like it belongs in dissatisfaction, I'm starting to actually feel much healthier and happier! I've managed to turn an hour grueling hike that I dreaded every single day upon said bike to work into a ~25 minute easy and comfortable ride.

... Wonder if I should get a gym membership, if starting small and completely unintentionally makes me feel this good.
    While some may say it is worth considering, why not just simply ride your bike more often, go for leisurely rides and save yourself the money?  Might as well get out and enjoy the scenery rather than just sit in one spot pedaling on a stationary bike (make sure you pace yourself appropriately though and gradually increase the distance you bike, maybe switch routes occasionally and go for something with a slight incline - don't go too steep though or you will do more harm than good)

Also, since it is Mothers Day here in NZ, a great big rave for my mum, who brought me into this world a little under 32 years ago and has always been there when I needed her, even if I did act like a stuck up brat at times when I was younger (I'm on a tight budget due to my studies, so I made her a nice hamper of my bodycare products)
    Unfortunately, the flaw to that is that the weather here is extremely unpredictable. It can be completely bright, sunny, and cloudless one minute, then clouds just start rolling in and it downpours. :( Which is a huge bummer, I've been caught in more than a few random rainstorms the last week.

Also, a rave for my mom on this mother's day! Who is awesome, has always been there for me, and pretty metal. And is as completely and totally un-photogenic as I am.

• Kagato said:

Assuming nothing goes too dramatically haywire between now and next October (2015), I will likely be moving to the USA somewhere between October and December next year, for a couple of years, possibly longer. ^_^

Currently deciding with my girlfriend where we would be living, but it looks like we would end up somewhere in the area between San Francisco and Sacramento.

In any case, still got a good 18+ months to plan everything out, but it is nice to have things starting to fall into place after all this time.
    Bring money, California is an expensive place to live.
    Stangmar - Retired

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Had a great time on our first camping trip with our 4 kids plus a ring in. Making memories catching fish and scaring them with ridiculous stories of a two-legged shark that hangs around camp sites....haha. If only I had another weekend right now to recuperate from the weekend though! Go away Monday!

• Zouviqil said:
    I went to a wedding this weekend and had my first margarita and my first appletini.

I also had an awesome day today that ended with my significant other who I've been with since September 24th, 2005 awkwardly (but so adorably) stumbling over words as we sat next to each other, waiting for my train home to come in. It resulted in a relationship upgrade.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: ENGAGED
    Description: Congratulations, they put a ring on it!
    Congratulations, @Zouviqil.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    After two weeks of utter sickness, I finally feel better. Still clearing up, but for the first time in too long I woke up feeling human. It's a good thing.
  • I'm going to get to go watch oral arguments in Bostic v. Rainey, the big same-sex marriage court case that's going through Virginia, at the 4th circuit court of appeals tomorrow. It's dorky, but I'm excited; the last case of national importance to go through Richmond was, uh... Michael Vick, I think. :(
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Interview on Wednesday OOOOEEERRRRRR.

Do I want to leave (half of) my cushy retail job to stand in a sweaty factory for four extra dollars an hour?

Yes. Yes I do.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Eritheyl said:
    Interview on Wednesday OOOOEEERRRRRR.

Do I want to leave (half of) my cushy retail job to stand in a sweaty factory for four extra dollars an hour?

Yes. Yes I do.
    > cushy
    > retail

Does not compute. Fatal system error 109-J-4xx98. Please restart life. If you are seeing this message frequently, please contact your local reality administrator for assistance.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • Must be retail in Canada or something where everybody is extremely friendly.  I'll bet customers even apologize for coming in :p .

Stangmar - Retired

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    My best friends fiance moved in and I thought we were gonna have issues, but first two day impressions state that I am probably going to make her my best friend when he's not here >_>
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited May 2014
    I work the replenishment crew in a craft store, so there's only a small window in the morning where I have to deal with customers. On top of that, most of them are just little old ladies or well-mannered mothers looking for things to help them with 'this thing I saw on Pinterest'.

Really do love my job, BUT walking six and a half miles one-way for a five hour shift, maximum four days a week, just isn't worth what they pay. Hoping to keep the other half of the gig though, which is instructing crochet courses. I can take the bus for those!
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Munsia said:
    My best friends fiance moved in and I thought we were gonna have issues, but first two day impressions state that I am probably going to make her my best friend when he's not here >_>
    Make them both think they're your best friend, play them against each other. Benefit.
    Stangmar - Retired

edited May 2014
    Stangmar said:

Bring money, California is an expensive place to live.
    Trust me, I am very much aware of this fact, which is why we are going to be up in the Sacramento area to start out (well, a small town about 15 minutes drive out of Sac to be precise - rent/house costs are not too horrid there from what I've been told), plus the whole reason I am not looking at shifting for a good 18 months or so - gives me plenty of time to save up some cash.

• Anita said:
    Ok, so. Now that I'm semi-alive again, I want to give a shout to everyone at our superawesomeglomLusternnia-fest. @Karlach‌, @Tacita‌, @Svorai‌, @Aerdiya‌, @Rialorm‌, @Chade‌, @Ankastra‌ and @Khydan‌! Now it's time for the next one, right?!
    Soon, yes yes. Soon.