Real World Raves

Comments

• edited June 2014

Learning second language 'slows brain ageing'

This is good news.  My dad's side of the family has a history of dementia and Alzheimer's.   My dad is just 56, so he still has some time obviously, but he and I are both bilingual(I speak Tagalog, he speaks Spanish)...so there's hope that we'll both be able to keep it together a bit longer than most of the family.

Stangmar - Retired

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Ardmore said:
    I just finished off paying my student loans!!

It's seriously the best thing ever. Peace out $300 payment. TIME FOR SHOES
  • Mine was almost double that per month. :( 
    There's so much roommoney for activities!
  • Will y'all get mad if I say i haven't had any student loans?

YAY SCHOLARSHIPS.  But now I'm in debt on a car 
    Stangmar - Retired

• As everyone who has ever spoke with Ardmore knows, I am not smart. I could never get a scholarship. QQ
  • Aeral said:

Having to put the notch in on my belt because my pants keep falling off. One small step for me. +10 confidence boost.

One step at a time.

Also I guess this new medication is working because I feel great!
    Ugh, I'm in the opposite situation right now.  I lost a ton of weight in 2009-2010(think Jonah Hill).  But I have since regained every pound PLUS more.  Right now I'm in need of bigger clothes, but refuse to buy them as that feels like accepting defeat.  

Instead I'm trying to change my diet.  No more soda, 2 small meals a day and one large one.  Need to find time to go walking or something.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• No longer drinking soda helped me lose a good deal of weight. 
  • Yeah, the best thing that helped me was just simply "no carbs after lunch" (which is ridiculously hard). And the phrase "don't drink your calories". 

What was really surprising about it, the discipline of doing all that transferred into the rest of my life. It was actually easier to clean around the house, treat my wife better, exercise, etc. That could be just me, but I doubt it.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I'm going to have my first ever non-orchestral concert experience next Monday.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Ewwww. Good luck, Daraius.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    See that's generally how I feel about concers, but it's Kishi Bashi, whom I discovered through NPR. How bad could it be? [-O<
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Alik said:
    Yeah, the best thing that helped me was just simply "no carbs after lunch" (which is ridiculously hard). And the phrase "don't drink your calories". 

What was really surprising about it, the discipline of doing all that transferred into the rest of my life. It was actually easier to clean around the house, treat my wife better, exercise, etc. That could be just me, but I doubt it.
    Ironically, my weight loss plan now consists of drinking my calories.  I bought those costco slim-fast knock off shakes.  Not because I believe they contain any magical weight-loss shit. No, but because I looked at them, realized they're an 180 calorie meal, and don't seem like they'll kill me.  Plus it's a lot cheaper than eating out at lunch.  I find it a good way to limit my overall calorie intake.
    Stangmar - Retired

• Not a fan of concerts.  I don't like big crowds, loud noise, or drunk people.  I'd much prefer to sit in a lazy-boy and listen to the studio tracks, rather than live, lip-synced music that's half drowned out by yelling.
    Stangmar - Retired

• Stangmar said:
    Alik said:
    Yeah, the best thing that helped me was just simply "no carbs after lunch" (which is ridiculously hard). And the phrase "don't drink your calories". 

Ironically, my weight loss plan now consists of drinking my calories.  I bought those costco slim-fast knock off shakes.  Not because I believe they contain any magical weight-loss shit. No, but because I looked at them, realized they're an 180 calorie meal, and don't seem like they'll kill me.  Plus it's a lot cheaper than eating out at lunch.  I find it a good way to limit my overall calorie intake.
    There is no perfect one size fits all diet. The biggest effort is finding what works for you. If those shakes do it, great. Besides, we know woefully little about nutrition still, and there is a lot of politics that affected past studies. Someday in the future I am sure we will have the knowledge but for now you just got to do what seems best for you.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Stangmar said:
    Aeral said:

Having to put the notch in on my belt because my pants keep falling off. One small step for me. +10 confidence boost.

One step at a time.

Also I guess this new medication is working because I feel great!
    Ugh, I'm in the opposite situation right now.  I lost a ton of weight in 2009-2010(think Jonah Hill).  But I have since regained every pound PLUS more.  Right now I'm in need of bigger clothes, but refuse to buy them as that feels like accepting defeat.  

Instead I'm trying to change my diet.  No more soda, 2 small meals a day and one large one.  Need to find time to go walking or something.  

One day about 3 weeks ago I came to the realization suddenly after watching Tim Minchin's graduation speech for the 5th time and realized that I needed to make some changes. I was frustrated about being tired and weak and being winded by a set of stairs.

Started eating much better and eating the right kinds of things. I never was big on soda or candy or chips but we also stopped buying takeout pizza. We make almost every meal on the stove or in the oven. We own no microwave.

So I started biking to the major bus stop here (approx 3km from my house) and then biking home (approx 7.5km) last week. This in total takes me approx 45 minutes per day.

And if you ever need encouragement I'm right here!

(man, them's good happy pills... I have no idea where this good mood came from)

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I prefer live performances over studio myself. It's great to see a group with energy and some improv that's willing to mix it up.

That's why I love a lot of blues, jazz, and bands inspired by them. They don't just go through the motions on stage.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • 64 bit Google Chrome coming? Yes please!
    Stangmar - Retired

• The weather! It's been sunny for a week, and warm!
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Ieptix said:
    I know, it's awful. I want winter back.

...wait, wrong thread.

I'd live in Alaska if I didn't hate the light so much. 
  • Munsia said:
    Ieptix said:

...wait, wrong thread.

Oh come on, it's not like you go out anyways.  Just put some tin foil in the windows. :P
    Stangmar - Retired

• Ieptix said:

...wait, wrong thread.
    I'm only cheering because it was around ten degrees a week or so ago. But 25 and sunny is awesome.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Stangmar said:
    Munsia said:
    Ieptix said:

...wait, wrong thread.

Oh come on, it's not like you go out anyways.  Just put some tin foil in the windows. :P
    It still shines in quite painfully where I live. I abhore all sunlight. I can see/read/walk perfectly in the dark. 
  • Munsia said:
    Stangmar said:
    Munsia said:
    Ieptix said:

...wait, wrong thread.

It still shines in quite painfully where I live. I abhore all sunlight. I can see/read/walk perfectly in the dark. 
    Tin foil works pretty well in my experience.  My dad uses my old bedroom to sleep during the day(he works graveyard), so he put foil up in the window.  Whenever I go home to visit, I sleep in there and end up sleeping until afternoon because I wake up and think it's still 2 am, lol.
    Stangmar - Retired

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Had a nice birfday, even with horrible allergies!