Real World Raves

Comments

• I am disappoint.  I'm still hacking away at Daggerfall (<vocce type="comicBookGuy">Best.  Game.  Ever</vocce>).
    </RANT>
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I've not yet played Daggerfall, but of the three I've played (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), Morrowind is the best by far. Neither of the other two have as deep a story and as well-crafted a world.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    I've not yet played Daggerfall, but of the three I've played (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), Morrowind is the best by far. Neither of the other two have as deep a story and as well-crafted a world.
    To be fair, they do, just not on the surface. A lot of the reason people believe Morrowind has far superior lore is two-fold: nostalgia, and because the developers put so much of the lore on the surface because Vvardenfell is such an alien world and would make no sense otherwise.

If you actually delve into the in game books, pay attention to the side quests, and everything, Oblivion and Skyrim (to a lesser extent) are filled with amazing, vast lore. And even outside of the five games, there's some good lore. Not many people know it, but there were canon books released about the TES world: The Infernal City and Lord of Souls, both written by Greg Keyes, written between the events of Oblivion and Skyrim. And then, once you get past all the strictly canon stuff (which there's still a lot of debate about because of the 'Unreliable Narrator', dragon breaks, and just plain lack of information), you get into the stuff like fan theory and, while not everybody is a fan of it, C0DA (a kind-of-fan-fiction written by Michael Kirkbride, who was a lore writer for Bethesda on Morrowind and Oblivion, and even had several of his side works referenced in Skyrim. Heimskr in Whiterun, for instance, quotes Kirkbride's "From the Many-Headed Talos". C0DA is admittedly... more than a bit strange, and most people think it wouldn't make sense in the setting if they're unfamiliar with it all, but it does serve a purpose in the minds of many people).

Honestly, I could go on and on for hours, days, but it'd really just be easier to give links on it all.
    Imperial Library (fan-run repository of TES lore): http://www.imperial-library.info/
    Unofficial Elder Scrolls Wiki's lore section: http://uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
    Bethesda Forums lore section: http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/16-elder-scrolls-lore/
    TES Lore subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore
    Loveletter (Michael Kirkbride work): http://c0da.es/t/loveletter
    C0DA (Michael Kirkbride work): http://c0da.es/t/c0da
    Elder Scrolls Lore Podcast (beginning to intermediate to advanced stuff): https://elderlore.wordpress.com/episodes/
    Selectives Lore Podcast (advanced and speculative stuff. Episode 1 of many):
    I read The Infernal City and liked it (still need to read the other one). And I love the fan theories, and have been to many of those sites. Maybe you're right about Morrowind lore seeming better because it's on the surface, but I still think it's better. I like the world more. I still haven't finished Oblivion (and need to), but Skyrim felt like it had its moments, there just weren't enough of them.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• edited January 2015
    Everiine said:
    I read The Infernal City and liked it (still need to read the other one). And I love the fan theories, and have been to many of those sites. Maybe you're right about Morrowind lore seeming better because it's on the surface, but I still think it's better. I like the world more. I still haven't finished Oblivion (and need to), but Skyrim felt like it had its moments, there just weren't enough of them.

I'm really confused by this. It's the exact same world, and a lot of the same lore shows up in each of the games? Actually, the continuity of lore is a big selling point for me. They somehow made it work despite the diverse results you can create in your own game. Like how every single one of Daggerfall's six, completely different endings, is actually all game canon with the "Warp in the West."

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Sorry, when I said 'world', I meant that the setting of each game, while all part of the same 'world', is different. Maybe I should have said that the setting and story of Morrowind is more interesting to me than Oblivion and Skyrim.

• My 15yo is still playing New Vegas.  I keep calling it Daggerfallout.  Someday he'll get the reference.  Until then, I am happy.
    </RANT>
  • Everiine said:
    Sorry, when I said 'world', I meant that the setting of each game, while all part of the same 'world', is different. Maybe I should have said that the setting and story of Morrowind is more interesting to me than Oblivion and Skyrim.
    That I definitely agree with, and Bethesda deserves a huge rave for it. The story of the Nerevarine is fantastic. :)

The quests were way longer in that game, too. Sometimes you very literally just had to search a huge, vague area of the island bit by bit to actually find what you needed. Quests in Oblivion/Skyrim are ridiculously easy by comparison with quest targets on the screen at all times. Could that have something to do with it?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    My wife is playing Lego Batman 2, and every time Lego Superman flies, no matter what else is going on, the music changes to the Superman theme. I feel like there is an epic adventure constantly going on in my house :) .

• @Everiine: Don't lose hope! Potty-training is an Epic Adventure.  You still have 25 years of Epic Adventure ahead of you, so don't sweat the Lego games.. unless you're on percussion in Lego Rock Band; sweating is mandatory for that position.
    </RANT>
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Two days in a row I woke up at 6 AM feeling well-rested. I went to bed at 10 PM last night.

May this pattern continue! I like going to bed at a reasonable hour and seeing the sun rise. :)
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/politics_and_government/kirby-delauter-kirby-delauter-kirby-delauter/article_da85d6f4-fa3c-524f-bbf6-8e5ddc0d1c0a.html

This popped up in my newsfeed on facebook today and given recent forum events, it made my day, so I felt like sharing.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Going to CES with my friend who always refuses to let me pay for anything. Going to be a fun day.
  • If I didn't have work, I'd be there right now.  I have a friend who's in town attending as a vendor.....
    Stangmar - Retired

• w00t! I managed to find enough time to work out the multi-inheritance script/definition, and it ought to work perfectly.  Basically each key is a postscript name and is associated with either null or a name or an array of other names in the object graph.  These things are loaded left-to-right-top-to-bottom so the loader can use an array to create a set and then process it like a stack, meaning everything always resolves to its most-specific type.  This is just the object graph.  The template and instance dictionaries are their own set of scripts which get loaded into the dictionary stack for processing.  Example:
    /inheritanceGraph <<
      /thing null
      /mobile /thing
      /denizen /mobile
      /monster /mobile
      /player /mobile
      /admin /thing
      /playerAdmin [/player /admin]
    >> def

Pocessing the inheritance graph is just a quick check via the type operator (is it null, a name, or an array?).  It needs to create a set  (so we pump our array for duplicates as we build it) and then we can either 1) process the array as if it were a stack, or 2) load it into a StackType I implemented so I could have a stack datatype beyond the operator and dictionary stacks (remember: i'm not going to bother implementing the graphics stuff, so it's not really a page layout script.  I'm ``Language Level 0'' over here).

Now what? Well, another dictionary would associate the above names with files so we can just open the file, pump it with the token operator, and then apply the exec operator.  What does this mean?

Well, assume some operator x is defined for /thing, /mobile, /player, and /admin.  So what happens if we load the template and instance scripts into the dictionary stack? The first definition it would hit is that defined for admin.  If the x operator needs to access an inherited operation then that's pretty easy.  We don't even need to execute the save and restore operators, but just access my base operator.

systemdict /base {
      %% assumes atom name is on top of stack
      %% error logic elided for clarity
      currentdict count 1 roll end
      exec
      count -1 roll begin
    } readonly def

If we want to simply inherit then we don't need to do jack, given the way the dictionary stack works.  But what if we want to conditionally execute the inheritance?
    So if we want to execute a ``base'' script we can just do it .  Assume the following is inside some template's dictionary:
    <<
    %% someKey someValue
    %% anotherKey anotherValue
      /attack {
        1 currentHp eq {
          % curb our enthusiasm
          wimpyAttack
        } {
          % do the regular program
          /attack base
        } ifelse
      }
      %% moreKey moreValue
    >>
    So... we can say ``dragon123 inherits from dragon'' by declaring an atom named ``dragon123'' in our instance dictionary, indicating it inherits from the dragon atom defined in our template dictionary, and when we execute our loadInstance operator it correctly parses the inheritence graph and builds the dictionary stack, meaning all our operators are loaded up correctly and inheritance (even multiple inheritance) functions in the correct order.  We can also redefine templates dynamically at run time (if we want), and we can do this either from .ps scripts, or compile them as .Net assemblies, and still be able to redefine our dicts at runtime. 

Gawddarnittoheck I LOVE PROGRAMMING!  Now back to C# and Sql with me... grumble.
    </RANT>
  • Oh, and annoying project at work seems to have settled down to a less irritating state.  I am happy.
    </RANT>
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Waited for two and a half hours in line to see the oculus demo.

Worth every second. It was possibly the most amazing bit of technology I've ever interacted with. Once games start being truly built with it in mind...just wow.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Going out tomorrow with two coworkers. To a bar. Where other people go. Where other people will BE.

I'm excited and fearful and giddy and anxious and happy and nauseated.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Tarkenton said:
    Waited for two and a half hours in line to see the oculus demo. Worth every second. It was possibly the most amazing bit of technology I've ever interacted with. Once games start being truly built with it in mind...just wow.
    You should try playing Minecraft with the oculus and the Emotiv headset. As someone who has done this, there is a 100% a chance of you being amazed, 66% a chance you will get a headache, and 33% a chance you will puke.
  • As a related tangent, If a company called CyberConnect or anything similar releases an MMORPG designed for use with an oculus/controller combo, you couldn't contain the amount of NOPE coming out of me. 
  • I don't completely suck at LoL anymore. Whee
    The playa you love to hate
  • edited January 2015
    Sign me up for SaO though!

Or, better yet, Log Horizon.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited January 2015
    Was in a bit of a creative mood, so I decided to break out the ol' beads and pegboards, made these 4 pieces in the space of a few hours ^_^

(The triforce one is the smallest, measuring in at 8cm long x 4.5cm high, mini-pikachu is 7.5cm x 7cm, mario is 8cm high x 6.5cm wide and big pikachu is 11.5cm x 9cm )
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited January 2015
    Aerotan said:
    As a related tangent, If a company called CyberConnect or anything similar releases an MMORPG designed for use with an oculus/controller combo, you couldn't contain the amount of NOPE coming out of me. 
    Because of the sheer number of people that would make characters containing some derivative of the names Tsukasa/Mimiru/Kite/BlackRose or because of the inherent risk of coma-inducement that seems to be associated with all versions of "The World"? >_> (or both?)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    Now come on, millions of people played those games all around the world, and only a very small fraction fell into comas. Perfectly (mostly) safe, right?

• I'm related to the Murphy clan, I know better than to tempt fate.

Also, yes, there will be approximately 7million Bear/Tsukasa/Subaru/BT/Kite/etc. and 70 Million Sora players. Also, 6 Mahas.
  • One cannot rush the perfect omelet.  The perfect omelet requires patience.  I am happy.
    </RANT>
  • My wife finally got to watch ``Fight Club''.  I'm happy to share that with her, and she's happy she saw it.
    </RANT>