Real World Raves

Comments

• Trouble deciding between 'like' and 'hug' on that one. You have my condolences, but it sounds like he was an unmitigated bad### with certifications to prove it. Good luck with the service.
  • Enyalida said:
    My GP's official obits were published, and we set the date for the memorial, for next month, I'm speaking as part of it.

This is a rave, because I'm seriously honored to speak at his memorial. He was a secret badass, whose circle of friends included nobel laureates (some of whom he mentored), CIA directors, and people like Carl Sagan (they used to have dinner parties together all the time). He grew up, son of a woman who taught in a one-room-school house in east Texas nowhere, worked hard, got a PhD, was professor at MIT for years and at Rice. It's becoming more clear that in a lot of ways, he held the extended family together, and kept a lot of shit from hitting the fan - not just in his own immediate life, but in mine too. Basically my whole life story worked, through all the stupidity and mistakes, because of this one guy. We're unsure how things will work, especially with my... difficult grandmother, now that he's gone. I only knew him for a quarter of his life, but damn, what a run.
    You must be very proud. Good luck with everything.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I made it through this week. That is a relief!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Despite the terrible ratings, I found Mortdecai to be funny.
    Stangmar - Retired

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Neos said:
    I will play every game mode, except ARAM. Only time I stepped onto Howling Abyss was during Poro King.
    Man ARAM is great, ssssoooo caaasual.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • The Interview is on Netflix.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• Stangmar said:
    The Interview is on Netflix.  
    I'm not a big Seth Rogen fan so I probably never would have even watched it, except for all the press from a month ago.

But it actually wasn't that bad. I even laughed sometimes.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Enyalida said:
    My GP's official obits were published, and we set the date for the memorial, for next month, I'm speaking as part of it.

This is a rave, because I'm seriously honored to speak at his memorial. He was a secret badass, whose circle of friends included nobel laureates (some of whom he mentored), CIA directors, and people like Carl Sagan (they used to have dinner parties together all the time). He grew up, son of a woman who taught in a one-room-school house in east Texas nowhere, worked hard, got a PhD, was professor at MIT for years and at Rice. It's becoming more clear that in a lot of ways, he held the extended family together, and kept a lot of shit from hitting the fan - not just in his own immediate life, but in mine too. Basically my whole life story worked, through all the stupidity and mistakes, because of this one guy. We're unsure how things will work, especially with my... difficult grandmother, now that he's gone. I only knew him for a quarter of his life, but damn, what a run.
    I am having a little difficulty parsing if GP refers to your general practitioner or grandpa. 

In either case I am sorry for your loss, but I am happy you are honored in celebrating his life. 
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    The kind Divine forces (or scientific and mathematical 'luck' via the movement of a storm system if you prefer) decided my house should only get 8 inches of snow. Thank you. May the snow totals remain so low.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    There's a Lusternian weather ambient I really like that's something about the clouds releasing a sigh of snowflakes. That's exactly what's happening right now. Lovely frisbee weather. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    I used to play frisbee every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday nights from 10:30 pm to midnight while I was in college through rain, cold, snow, whatever. I miss those days :( .

Rave for a clean wedding ring that will be coming home today, though!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Riluna said:
    Stangmar said:
    The Interview is on Netflix.  
    I'm not a big Seth Rogen fan so I probably never would have even watched it, except for all the press from a month ago.

But it actually wasn't that bad. I even laughed sometimes.
    I'm in the same boat.  Not a Rogen fan at all, but it was hilarious.  James Franco was great. 
    Stangmar - Retired

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    That sounds terrible. I just play fetch with my dog. :D
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Daraius said:
    That sounds terrible. I just play fetch with my dog. :D
    It was a great group of people who loved to play just for the fun of it--we weren't competitive at all. We played on a field in the middle of campus and used a frisbee with led lights in it. It was absolutely great in the summer, and the rain wasn't unwelcome, either, once you started playing. The snow was a bit harder to deal with, since I much preferred to play barefoot, and the snow made that painful.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    @Isluna's forum picture.

Oh my Gods.

I'm dying of laughter.

Halp. xD
  • Oh, own it love! You should have known better then to send me this lovely pic!

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • Now I feel obligated to show you all the fluffy chicken. If @Portius hasn't encountered these before he needs to.
  • I do think you should keep working on a code portfolio if that is what you want to a job in, to stay up to date and to have more to show and all. Also ignore what they ask, send your resume regardless and if you see certain technologies or so return a lot, start on learning those and present proof of that. It may not help, and that can be seriously demotivating, but part of the problem is the unreasonable demands the industry has.

That said, little rave of my own. I recently had an engine fault with my car (roadside assistance was called, but the hiccuping it had been doing seemed to have magically cleared up), so by advice of a friend I ordered an ODB-II reader. Cost 7 Euros so I was like fine, if I can check and reset future errors that's worth it. Found out it was a cylinder misfire, and that most likely it was caused because of the long period of rain and ice we had. Since then my car has run absolutely fine, and roadside assistance could find no reason to tow it, so I hope all will remain well.

It might sound silly, but doing this felt very empowering. Younger me assumed a lot of things were "man stuff" or "for other adults". Like how I spent years utterly ignoring personal finance because in my early twenties I was too busy trying not to be 'a boring adult'. Ugh, I'm cringing so hard :P Anyway, I do think I want to learn more about cars and car computers. I am pretty big on frugality and I just enjoy the idea of being not entirely powerless when something were to happen to my car. I'd still take it to a garage, but just like with computers if you know some things you are less likely to get scammed or you can do minor stuff on your own. So yeah, that felt good, really :)
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I will briefly rave for Deflate Gate, which might just be the silliest sports scandal in recent memory, and fuels us with plenty of quotes that can be taken hilariously out of context.

It's been on the TV constantly in the break room, and it keeps me amused.

• edited January 2015
    Everiine said:

I used to play frisbee every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday nights from 10:30 pm to midnight while I was in college through rain, cold, snow, whatever. I miss those days :( .

Rave for a clean wedding ring that will be coming home today, though!

I'm on Spain's National Ultimate Frisbee team!  Frisbee is the (second) best!!! (behind basketball)

Double relevant - I can't go to the European Championships because of my high school friend's wedding! (rant and rave) First wedding where I'll be a groomsman! :)

Edit: And GO HAWKS!!!!  Cheater scumbag Deflatriots
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    Tomorrow, the most important game all year in American sports will be played. And I'll be glued to my TV watching it.

PUPPY BOWL XI!

• Blankets worn like capes. TIA
  • IT'S FRIDAAAAAAAY (or saturday already, I guess)
  • Lua is fun.
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
  • Recovered some old pictures I thought I had lost from an old laptop. They are from my 2007 trip to San Francisco. Glad to have those back as an extra to the good memories. Was some stuff on there I had forgotten about.

Laptop has now been wiped securely as it is going to a recycle store as a donation. They take in broken and outdated electronics in addition to working stuff, and either repair, reuse or recycle it. They're also getting an old computer case, a broken headset and an external hard disk which is from the same era as the laptop. Maybe some old monitors too, after I've figured out what repairs are needed to those, as even smaller ones sell for something online. Seems unlike most other tech they retain some value.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Filed my 2014 tax return today.  Deducted my expense from moving to Vegas last year.  Added an entire $8 to my refund, lol. 
    Stangmar - Retired

• I. Have. A. Connection. That. Doesn't. Completely. Suck. Telstra dude, you rock! *VICTORY* 
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Dang, now I can't ddos my way to victory against you.