I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited March 2015
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Daraius said:

I hope he does something weird.
    ...I volunteer as tribute.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited March 2015
    sqUISHABLES!omF. Also @ieptixhttp://www.squishable.com/pc/opensquish_cuttlefish_15267/Squishable_Mini/Mini+Squishable+Cuttlefish
    http://forums.lusternia.com/discussion/comment/76439/#Comment_76439

EDIT: My own rave: This album was released a week ago, and I am so in love it is ridiculous: 
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • The whole famn damily loved the fish I cooked last night.  I've been feeling pretty sick for the last few days, so I did not want to do anything fancy.  The trick? I do a lot of camping (from as far back as I can remember no less), so I tore a page from my cub-scout days (one I usually reserve for when I'm camping and just far too drunk to do anything other than Drink Moar).  Normally I love to grill or broil my fish, but I just plain didn't want to make any tartar sauce, or monkey around with the hot veggies, and so on.  I really needed just a simple meal.

I buy the ``heavy duty'' aluminum foil from the Restaurant Supply store.  This stuff won't break, rip, or tear unless you really *TRY*, and it lasts dan near 3 years with over 300m to a roll.  This means you have something strong enough to bend into any shape you like, and you have enough of it to make damn near any shape you like.  I think the model # is Reynalds 3975, but that's not the point.  The point is you can cook anything in foil if you know what you're doing.  I've used a wire coat-hanger to mold foil into a pot for cooking over a fire, and I've simply wrapped my food into a pouch and just dropped it into the coals.  When you get the heavy-duty foil you can do darn near anything you like.

So I picked up a nice filet of wild-caught sockeye.  I suggest cutting it into individual servings before cooking it, because while raw it still has some firmness.  This means it won't disintegrate when you try to cut it after cooking, and it won't fall to pieces when you try to pull it from the oven or skillet or grill.  Now I placed these smaller pieces in the center of a very large leaf of foil.  I plopped on some slices of lemon, then some frenched onion (the simplest of cuts! Don't let the name fool you), scooped on some minced garlic (you can buy that in a jar and it lasts forever), a Julianned  bell pepper (that just means cut into long and thin strips like fajita).  You don't need to do much else, but I tossed on a few sprigs of Rosemary, Thyme, and Parsley.  Finally I doused the whole thing with a few generous splashes of olive oil (I just love that taste).  Now just seal up the package like a bag.  Crimp it good and tight so nothing escapes (I hate leaving a mess behind me).  Now we have some options.

We can just toss it in a 400F oven, but I heated up a griddle and let it sizzle on that for 10-20 minutes before moving into the oven.  It doesn't do too much (the skin is edible, but often sticks to the foil) except guarantee everything is nice and hot before going into the box (thusly shortening the wait time).  This way I could predict to the exact minute when dinner would be ready (I left it in for a full 60 mins any way so I could take a nap).  Of course most salmon is near ``sashimi'' quality, but why take any chances? Almost any filet will be fully cooked in 1hr or less when you're oven is that hot and steaming in a medley of flavour.  When bagged you really get something interesting.

Instead of browning (which is delicious) the fish steams inside the bag, and so the onions and peppers and lemon and garlic and olive oil and rosemary and thyme and parsley (and whatever else you throw in there) all do a wonderful dance of blending flavours.  Eh-yup.  Really delicious.  The best part? I just tossed it in the oven and then took a nap.  Sure, I could have just thrown in a roast of beef or chicken, but I've really been jonesing for fish lately, and I didn't want to screw around with making a sauce.

With a fish like that you don't need any Tartar or Ranch or Yumyum (or whatever).  The deliciousness of everything just melts and mixes through and through, and the prep time is on the order of 10mins or less including veggies.

Sure, I also offered a cold salad and some hot veggies in addition to the onions and bell peppers, but you can buy those things in bags now-a-days.  The starch was mac'n'cheese (a cheese sauce is as easy as boiling water) which I whipped up after my nap (you can make the sauce while the noodle-water boils).  Eh-yup.

Everyone enjoyed it and I didn't have to kill myself.  I love my family.
    </RANT>
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    edited March 2015
    I feel the above rave had more tiny details about food coming out of out of nowhere than a George RR Martin excerpt.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • *squee*

I found an artist willing to draw my favourite NPC, Valkira for me! Should be done in a week or so.

• Raves for mint thins. I practically sweat them now. I smell like a mint thin. My skin is made of chocolate. I am mint thin.

Goodbye raw, gluten-free foods.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    My wife bought a box of Carmel deLites and a box of Shortbread.

I bought three boxes of Peanut Butter Patties.

I am in heaven.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ... @delphas, are you up to adopting a bunch of Lusternians, making us your family, and making us good foods too? Dear god, every time you post about food, it makes me feel like uncultured swine, and I need to be educated.

• Made 9 pies with friends today. 3.14159 :D
  • Picked up a new Nexus 9 tablet this weekend.  Very nice so far. 
    Stangmar - Retired

• I adore visiting the Bay Area, though I could never see living here again. So many friends old and new, such peaceful surroundings. There's a quince tree blossoming off the back deck of this old Spanish Revival wreck, and so many memories in this ancient place. The Mission is as full of murals and taquerias as usual, and the wine is like drinking liquid sunshine. And oh, the bookstores, the glorious bookstores. I could lose myself at City Lights.

Plus, holy shit: I climbed up to Indian Rock yesterday and surveilled the Bay while my host talked to me about the mini-continents eaten by the larger one that's in the process of colliding into and forming the West Coast's coastline. Hell yes.
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • Hair Treatments! And lovely results! <3
  • edited March 2015
    Today's foods. #hipster

Edit: Broken link, @Aruin @Dakhamunzu @Shaddus
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • @Arien is that a staple of your diet? It looks yummy! 
    is dead like the dodo
    Pho is indeed good
  • Xeria said:

@Arien is that a staple of your diet? It looks yummy! 

It is. It's my guilty pleasure between raw foods and gluten free things. :3
    -
    -
    I write things
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    My computer is fixed and on its way home! I got promoted at work. I'm tipsy on Jack Daniels. Life is good.
  • edited March 2015
    Arien said:

Xeria said:

@Arien is that a staple of your diet? It looks yummy! 

It is. It's my guilty pleasure between raw foods and gluten free things. :3
    Why is a guilty pleasure? It's healthy! I eat soup noodles every other day. Pho is particularly delicious but it's difficult to get!

is dead like the dodo
    I love 'cooking with dog'.
  • Finally got some proper winter weather. Only took until the end of bloody March.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Ieptix said:

Finally got some proper winter weather. Only took until the end of bloody March.

Our snow is finally melted away (except for a few banks from the plowman).  I'm happy for this, except now I have a mudhole instead of lawn.
    </RANT>
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Ieptix said:

Finally got some proper winter weather. Only took until the end of bloody March.

We had the opposite reaction on the east coast. We woke up to snow and said, "WHY IS IT SNOWING IN MARCH"
  • I'm working from home tomorrow.  Because I just plain feel like it.
    </RANT>
  • Come to the south, it snows one day and is 80+ the next.
    The playa you love to hate
  • p.s @Arien, if you're cutting down on carbohydrates, why not ask for extra soup and to half the portion of noodles given, but leave in all the trimmings.
    is dead like the dodo