General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    As a healthcare professional: If you have a name that's hard to spell, lead with the name, then start phonetically spelling it. 

"This is Allyson Phoebus, Papa-Hotel-Oscar-Echo-Bravo-Utah-Sierra, Alpha-LimaLima-Yankee-Sierra-Oscar-Nevada."

We would rather you come off as brusque and rude than spend several minutes playing "How do you spell that?" with a side of HIPAA dance. Quite honestly, I consider it slightly more rude for patients to assume we automagically know how to spell your name correctly on the first try on a phone that may or may not have static on the line, a spotty connection, or wind, while correcting for your personal pronunciation, dialect, and the gum you're chewing "Sahndra with an h".
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Yeah, I immediately begin spelling both my first and last name any time it's relevant. I came up with a mnemonic for pronouncing my last name back in high school  when student congress meant that some hapless parliamentarian would have to repeatedly call on me. 
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I've just been skittish about it ever since the time I started spelling my last name for someone and got cut off and angrily told not to assume they couldn't find it without my help. :( I wish there was a standardized list of things people will be offended by so I didn't feel like everything is a potential faux pas. Talking to people is weird and hard.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Phoebus said:
    I've just been skittish about it ever since the time I started spelling my last name for someone and got cut off and angrily told not to assume they couldn't find it without my help. :( I wish there was a standardized list of things people will be offended by so I didn't feel like everything is a potential faux pas. Talking to people is weird and hard.
    Yeah, that's a case of "and the horse you rode in on." IMO. You're trying to be helpful, and avoid confusion. Heck what other people think of that.
    Luce said:
    Phoebus said:
    Yeah, that's a case of "and the horse you rode in on." IMO. You're trying to be helpful, and avoid confusion. Heck what other people think of that.
    Hrmggmh. I'll try to be brave next time someone needs my name. Phones make me revert into a quivering, submissive gelatin person.  :disappointed: I will do my best to boldly stammer my way past the memory of the angry lady.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    My last name is five letters long. Consonant, vowel, consonant, vowel, consonant. It gets spelled wrong all the time. So now any time I have to give my name and they either need to type or write it down, I automatically start spelling it for them. I'm with Luce, to hell with people who think you're being rude. If your name gets misspelled that often, it's perfectly reasonable to spell it out.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Sometimes it's funny. My favorite misspelling so far was when I got a letter from school for "Allyson Phoenixbus"  :D I'm guessing their spell check auto-completed "phoenix" after "phoe" while they were typing and they didn't catch it at all. Not really the same problem, but it'll always be my favorite mistaken name. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Mine's usually mispronounced into an etymologically unrelated similar name. (Think de Medici/Dimitri) (It's neither of these). Every now and again I'll get someone who misses that there's a double l in it, too, but that's rarer.
  • My whole name is one giant confusing mess for people. People often hear me say it and give up and just go by my first name. Spelling is awful, I've never had someone spell it correctly before (thanks mom and dad for combining your names for me).

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Yeah, people trying to pronounce my name will add syllables with letters that aren't even in it. 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    My first name is easy. My surname gives people problems. Pretty sure Ellis Island bastardized that one, too.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    My last name is easy.  Four whole letters, and a common word to boot.

Everyone still asks me how to spell it anyways-- I suspect because they feel like it is a trap.  No, no, it really is that easy.
  • @Xenthos at least you have an easy point of reference (the common word).

My last name is spelled differently than a more familiar variation, and I often find myself saying, "Nope, it's Letter Letter Letter. Yes, seriously. No. Letter Letter Letter. Please trust me on this."

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • People like to smash my first and last name together into a single name. I don't understand why.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited August 2016
    Xenthos said:
    My last name is easy.  Four whole letters, and a common word to boot.

Everyone still asks me how to spell it anyways-- I suspect because they feel like it is a trap.  No, no, it really is that easy.
    @Xenthos Is it Swag? Because I would definitely think that was a trap.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Bacon Pringles do not taste like bacon :(
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm not okay today. I don't think I have been all week. I can't focus, I can't do my job, and I can't...I just can't. I need help, and I don't know what kind, where, or how to find it. I can't turn to my husband because right now he's such a fragile mess that I think it would break him, and quite honestly that's part of my problem right now, because I don't have the energy to keep dealing with the parade of nonsense going on, and it's been going on for so long I haven't been able to step out of the crisis mode I usually use to deal with this kind of bullshit. My stiff upper lip is a permanent stone-faced grimace at this point and I haven't been able to release the stress and tension without hurting people, and I don't know what to do.
  • Had to fight with a belligerent drunk tonight (they insisted), and then I killed an opossum with my car on the way home. That moment where it froze, looked right at me, and then turned to run back, ensuring it went right under the wheel. Crap night all around.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited August 2016
    is dead like the dodo
  • I am really hardcore struggling with having any sort of self confidence or belief that I can get through this college degree, and we're on week... four.

My own brain is literally my enemy.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    In addition to what Sylandra said, also realise that what you're feeling is extremely common in college life. Some of your classmates, tutors, lecturers etc. probably suffer(ed) some Imposter syndrome themselves. It was sheer stubbornness and refusal to quit that got me though college more than anything else. Confidence only came at the very end.

Some times you just have to get things wrong in every way possible before the concepts click. Keep attending, keep asking questions, and don't be afraid of asking for help. 

(also try to find a club or society you really enjoy, college isn't all about academic work!)
  • Ahhhh. Today's the day I find out yes or no and no word yet. Omg if it's a no just let me off the hook. :<

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Okay, so I'm teaching a new course I've never taught before and I've been occasionally using the training wheels of another professor's day plans with his permission. However, today's class was just not exciting or interesting to me, and it was kind of awkward-sauce. TIME TO PUT TOGETHER SOMETHING EXCITING AND NEW~

plz2notborestudents&myself
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I just have one of those names with multiple common spellings so I guess I got lucky
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    RIP Gene Wilder :(

@Hoaracle,  can we get a memorial snozzberries emote?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • And it's 4pm, and I still have yet to hear. Will be sending an email and should get the response tomorrow.

I'm trying to stay positive considering when I spoke to a friend earlier at the company there hadn't been an any decision made.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Ran out of coffee beans halfway through making my coffee. Not cool.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    You guys must have a weird way of making coffee down there if you can run out of beans midway through. :/
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."