General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited May 2014
    Isune said:
    Turnus said:
    I really want to like games like Alpha Centauri and Civilization but I just cannot get into them. Is something wrong with me? :(
    I feel the same way about crusader kings 2.
    @Yomoigu and I are obsessed with that. Missing out! Related dissatisfaction: CKII truces. Mama wants to war with Norway. :(

Might be interesting.... but damn, is it pricey? $80 with all the DLC? Then again.... Galactic Civilizations 3

EDIT: Never mind, it's not all the DLC. :D

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited May 2014
    Isune said:
    @Yomoigu and I are obsessed with that. Missing out! Related dissatisfaction: CKII truces. Mama wants to war with Norway. :( 
    Byzantium 4 lyfe, yo. Love that game.

^^ the fun part about CK2 is you don't need all, or even any, of the DLC to play, and if you want it, you can be very selective. For instance, I highly recommend picking up Legacy of Rome, because (aside from a few flavor additions to Byzantium, including the ability to mend the Great Schism and restore the Roman Empire) it unlocks retinues, essentially small, expensive, and very powerful standing armies. Sword of Islam unlocks Muslim rulers, the Republic unlocks merchant republics (quite powerful, if somewhat limited in scope), and the Old Gods unlocks pagans, and gives a lot of flavor to Norse pagans. Sons of Abraham adds some new functionality to Catholicism, and unlocks Jewish rulers (for the very, very few cases in which there were medieval Jewish rulers). Of those, you can really just pick up one or two depending on which you want to play. The others are essentially small things or extra tweaks that you may want to pick up later if you feel like it.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I have it sitting around. Maybe one day I'll find the motivation to play it! I also hear there's a pretty sweet GoT mod for it.

Meanwhile I've been sticking to mostly mindless games.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I swear one day I will sit down and RTFM for CKII

For now, Hearthstone, and f##k you mana gain Druid decks.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I have never been able to get the GOT mod to run for more than a year of game time before crashing. It's sad. I'd very much like to see if I could get a skin from every dynasty as the Boltons.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Karlach said:
    I swear one day I will sit down and RTFM for CKII

For now, Hearthstone, and f##k you mana gain Druid decks.
    Mage ftw. :P

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I love Civ 5, though not as much as Sins of a Solar Empire, but have never played Alpha Centauri.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Fucking bitstrips....make them stop! PLEASE! I'LL DO ANYTHING! I'll HIT "SHARE" ON THE ABUSED ANIMAL PAGES!

Stangmar - Retired

• Downside of having a 59 year old roommate....he likes to keep the house somewhere around the temperature of the Earth's core.
    Stangmar - Retired

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Heh, old time Las Vegas people.  THE HEAT DOES NOTHING TO THEM.
  • edited May 2014
    So I just got a letter from my university. They're revoking my financial aid because I don't meet some arcane Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. After I did some digging, I found out it was because you have to pass 75% of the credits you attempt in a year, and fall semester of last year I failed two classes because of a brief battle with depression stemming from my parents getting divorced. This past semester I kept my courseload low, for the same reason-- even though I then went on to pass all of those courses with flying colors! There's an appeals process, but it requires paper documentation of your "extenuating circumstances," and depression is really fucking hard to document, even if you do manage to undergo the heroic effort to actually see a counselor. I'm really shell-shocked and kind of panicking right now. I hate everything. And I thought I did so well last semester, too. :(
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    There's not a probationary period? I had a pretty terrible semester in college which risked revoking my financial aid, but my letter was basically, "you have one semester to get back on the right side", and it was specific to my scholarship.

If your school has a blanket policy on all financial aid that says "if you have one bad semester it all goes away"... that's really crappy and low :( . I hope your appeal process goes well.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited May 2014
    It's a matter of maintaining a 75% pass rate overall for a given academic year. I failed two of four classes fall semester, and I passed four of four classes spring semester. Problem is, I had a fifth class spring semester that I withdrew from, getting a W, and apparently they count that as failing. That's what put me just under the 75% threshold. :/ Had I known about this or been advised of it at all, I'd  not have withdrawn from that class, but that's neither here nor there.
  • Ileein said:
    So I just got a letter from my university. They're revoking my financial aid because I don't meet some arcane Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. After I did some digging, I found out it was because you have to pass 75% of the credits you attempt in a year, and fall semester of last year I failed two classes because of a brief battle with depression stemming from my parents getting divorced. This past semester I kept my courseload low, for the same reason-- even though I then went on to pass all of those courses with flying colors! There's an appeals process, but it requires paper documentation of your "extenuating circumstances," and depression is really fucking hard to document, even if you do manage to undergo the heroic effort to actually see a counselor. I'm really shell-shocked and kind of panicking right now. I hate everything. And I thought I did so well last semester, too. :(
    Weird. I had a bad year and they have given me student loans ever since (even though each year I get a reminder that I had that one bad year). Hopefully it turns out for you!
  • edited May 2014
    Don't know if student loans are affected.  Pretty sure the 75% is a Pell Grant specific requirement.   As somebody who took a heavy courseload using Pell grants and a scholarship, that was always on the back of my mind.  Gave me ulcers a couple of times.  In addition to passing 75% of my classes for Pell money, I had to maintain 15 credit hours a semester at a minimum of a 3.5 GPA.  I believe I fell below that one semester by just a tad, and they never said anything.  I found out that they just did a once a year review(after the spring semester) and if you fell below 3.5, they put you on academic probation until you got your act together.  

EDIT: I also had 2 friends lose their pell grants because of the 75% rule.  I remember they received a paper detailing all the steps they had to go through to get it reinstated, just like you mention.  I wish I could tell you how that goes, but neither of those 2 friends have any drive to finish anything...so they just gave up.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• Federal student loans just have a general "maintain academic standing" requirement; they leave the specifics to the school. My school is the one that set the harsh requirement, and apparently they have the power to shut off federal loans to their students.
  • edited May 2014
    Our system here is kinda strange as well. At the moment, I am not getting any loans because I took too long for finishing my degree, which is quite funny because due to Bologna, everybody does that. And my reason for taking longer than average is spending one term abroad, which is really encouraged...and I didn't go there because I have much money but because I had a scholarship. So basically, they're telling us to go abroad for a term but then go 'oh, you took too long because of that...".

The good thing about our system though is, that we have lots of options for listing valid reasons why we took longer (just not going abroad <.<), which also include a variety of health issues.

I hope that your appeal goes well.
  • So the old guy roommate has a 20 yr old former foster son who is mentally handicapped(has the cognitive capabilities of a 10 yr old, roughly).  He keeps walking across town and sneaking through our doggie door at TWO IN THE FUCKING MORNING.  

The lovely part about this is that now if somebody ever breaks in to rob/attack us, I'm just going to assume it's him coming in.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• Stangmar said:
    So the old guy roommate has a 20 yr old former foster son who is mentally handicapped(has the cognitive capabilities of a 10 yr old, roughly).  He keeps walking across town and sneaking through our doggie door at TWO IN THE FUCKING MORNING.  

The lovely part about this is that now if somebody ever breaks in to rob/attack us, I'm just going to assume it's him coming in.  
    Unless he's also the physical size of a 10 y/o, I gotta say that fitting through the doggy door is kinda impressive.
  • Belibi said:
    Stangmar said:
    So the old guy roommate has a 20 yr old former foster son who is mentally handicapped(has the cognitive capabilities of a 10 yr old, roughly).  He keeps walking across town and sneaking through our doggie door at TWO IN THE FUCKING MORNING.  

Unless he's also the physical size of a 10 y/o, I gotta say that fitting through the doggy door is kinda impressive.

He's pretty skinny, but the dog door is also fairly big.  The problem is that he has specific days in which he is allowed to drop by and stay the night, and he is competent enough to understand that, but he just comes whenever for whatever reason.  My roommate is exasperated at this point, as the boy's father gets pretty upset at him for having him over like this.  
    Also.....when he's here....cigarette smoke for days......and Naruto 24/7 on the TV.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• I broke my (5+ year old) headset, a plastic part that holds up the right speaker, tonight. :(
  • Drocilla said:
    Belated info re: Crusader Kings II. Humble Bundle Store has a smexy spring sale and CK2 is featured! Along with other nice titles!
    I picked it up on their last sale. I really like the concept of it but whenever I play it and try to get my politics on I end up assassinated or overthrown. I thought I was doing ok with all the scheming.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Tridemon said:
    F*ck drunk drivers. F*CK DRUNK DRIVERS. If I had been driving anything smaller than that van, we might be having a funeral. F*ck drunk drivers.
    FAR too many people that I know have been negatively affected by drunk drivers.  Family, friends, workmates, you name it.

One friend recently had a drink driver run a red light and slam into the side of their car, if they had not put their foot down on the accelerator, the car would have slammed into the drivers door, killing her instantly, as it is the car ended up slamming into the empty passengers area, but she still fractured 4 vertebrae in the process.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    edited May 2014
    Drocilla said:
    Belated info re: Crusader Kings II. Humble Bundle Store has a smexy spring sale and CK2 is featured! Along with other nice titles!
    SORELY tempted to get the Humble Melee Bundle that is on special today only - Guilty Gear Izuka + Vanguard Princess for only $5 (Blade Symphony thrown in if you pledge $10+)
    EDIT: Also tempted to get Batman: Arkham Origins >_<  I'm meant to be saving up to move to the USA!

• IMO drunk driving should carry the same penalty as attempted homicide.

Sucks for those who just slip up and have a bad stroke, but that's a price worth paying.
    Stangmar - Retired

edited May 2014
    Kind of reminds me of a line one of my friends uses when referring to drink-drivers (a bit of a twist on a frequent media 'campaign' here)

Original: If you drink and drive, you're a bloody idiot
    Him: If you drink and drive, you're a f***ing retard. No, not mentally challenged -  RETARDED.  I can respect the mentally challenged. These guys LOST THE CHALLENGE.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Tridemon said:
    F*ck drunk drivers. F*CK DRUNK DRIVERS. If I had been driving anything smaller than that van, we might be having a funeral. F*ck drunk drivers.
    Hope you're okay man. My aunt lost an index finger and broke her neck in a collision with a drunk driver. She wasn't paralyzed, thank goodness, and has a pretty good sense of humor about the finger. Drunkenness in general gets me pretty steamed, but drunk driving is the worst.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Honestly I'm not a fan of drunkenness either.  As such, I've never touched alcohol in my life.  I just don't see the appeal.   Maybe it's becauuse growing up in Utah, I constantly heard outsiders complaining about the quality of beer in the state and how badly they wanted a good buzz.  I got to thinking that it all just sounds really immature and stupid if you're upset about not being able to get drunk.  
    Stangmar - Retired